Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2015 2:13 pm  #1

6/30/2015 2:18 pm  #2

Re: Duquesne men's hoops coach Ferry gets contract extension

I had heard this was in the works, but did not think DU would be stupid enough to castrate the new AD before he is even hired.  Only at DU do you fire a guy for winning and give a contact extension to a guy wh has had three consecutive losing seasons.  

6/30/2015 2:25 pm  #3

This has to mean that rumours that Ferry initially got a 7 year deal are false. There would just be no reason at all to extend a coach with 4 years left on his deal unless other schools were after him, which is not the case. Still, if he had 3 years left on his deal, why not wait until after this season to do this. If the team posted a winning record, you could sell me on an extension then. Anyone think there may have been a power struggle between Ferry, and GA, and Ferry won?

6/30/2015 2:34 pm  #4

Ferry did get an initial 7-year deal.  I posted a link to hisoriginal  hiring story in another thread.  He now has 4-years plus whatever the extension is.  My guess it is three years, as that is what I heard he was pushing for. If that is the case he now has another 7-years. If he doesn't start winning big the press will be all over this decision and Charlie will look pretty bad (as if he cares).  Thanks for the parting gift Charlie!

Last edited by CLK (6/30/2015 2:38 pm)

6/30/2015 3:16 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

This has to mean that rumours that Ferry initially got a 7 year deal are false. There would just be no reason at all to extend a coach with 4 years left on his deal unless other schools were after him, which is not the case. Still, if he had 3 years left on his deal, why not wait until after this season to do this. If the team posted a winning record, you could sell me on an extension then. Anyone think there may have been a power struggle between Ferry, and GA, and Ferry won?

If that's the case, then a big Nelson Muntz ha ha for Amodio.

6/30/2015 5:35 pm  #6

Duquesne, Jim Ferry agree to contract extensionWritten by Craig Meyer on Tuesday, 30 June 2015 5:07 pm

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sports/college/dukes-dispatches/44472-duquesne-jim-ferry-agree-to-contract-extension

Terms of the extension were not disclosed. Though he declined to say how long his contract now runs, Ferry said “we’re going to be here for a while.”

7/01/2015 7:51 am  #7

This is unbelievable.  YOU LOSE EVERY YEAR AND YOU GET YOUR CONTRACT EXTENDED.  This is as ridiculous as the move of firing RE.  Amodio is probably laughing all the way to New York.  I don't think he would have even been dumb enough to extend this contract.  The President and/or whomever approved this is clueless, truly clueless.  I am not writing this in anger but more in shock.  I just can't believe they did this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by FAM (7/01/2015 7:51 am)

7/01/2015 10:25 am  #8

Absolutely unbelievable. A president who is leaving extends the freakin' contract of a coach that has yet to do anything and, right, why would anyone in their right mind take the AD's job now.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

7/01/2015 11:18 am  #9

It's July 1st.  Many people would think this is a July Fools joke.

7/01/2015 12:38 pm  #10

[img]http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2015/01/08/ca0,47,1432,1479/20140107mfdukessports08-4.jpg[/img]

Gangnam style!

7/01/2015 1:00 pm  #11

I have tried to follow Duquesne Basketball for all these past 50 plus years but since I have been an adult I don't remember a losing coach being extended at Duquesne.  Maybe some other school was after him to take them from winning years to losing years and Duquesne didn't want to lose this "program changer"?

Seriously, it is hard to think they want to win at Duquesne in Men's Basketball.

I check this Board often and am constantly amazed, no wonder Mike James has stayed away from this "stinker" of D1 Hoops.

A diehard fan since 1961

7/01/2015 1:05 pm  #12

Wel, at least Charlie is consistent...  He extended Danny Nee.  That worked out well.

7/01/2015 3:43 pm  #13

Phildog wrote:

I have tried to follow Duquesne Basketball for all these past 50 plus years but since I have been an adult I don't remember a losing coach being extended at Duquesne. Maybe some other school was after him to take them from winning years to losing years and Duquesne didn't want to lose this "program changer"?

Seriously, it is hard to think they want to win at Duquesne in Men's Basketball.

I check this Board often and am constantly amazed, no wonder Mike James has stayed away from this "stinker" of D1 Hoops.

As was pointed out, Nee was extended after a 12 win season.

7/01/2015 4:09 pm  #14

Well, Steve on the other board did make a good point. In 17-18, Castro, Robinson, Powell, and James will be seniors. Jackson, Smith,  Steel, and Sanders will be juniors. While I expect that the next 2 seasons should be winning ones, that 17-18 team should be the one that ought to really break through. NIT at the least, and having us watching the bubble. Ferry has convinced them that this is the case, and they've decided to bet on him. While I personally would have waited until next year to do this (provided we had a winning season), I really don't have the stomach for another coaching change ( and five year plan), so I'm hoping this gamble pays off. I can't imagine that his deal is longer than 5 years, so they're likely giving him 3 years to finish the job. By that time, the new president will be a year and a half into the job. I can understand not wanting to drop this mess into his lap right away. Plus, if you fired Ferry next spring, it would still fall to Charlie to find a replacement. Better for the new guy to be stuck with Ferry for 2 years, than with his replacement for 5.

7/01/2015 5:27 pm  #15

Absolutely insane and unbelievable. The decision to extend should have had the input of the new AD. The decision to do this now and not wait for the new AD doesn't give me much hope that they will hire a guy who will demand the respect he needs to do the job that needs to be done. My feeling is that only a wimpish dude with little or no self-esteem would take this stupid job. Men's basketball is the program that determines the AD's viability and longevity. Now that this key decision has been made before he even arrives, I would question the competence, intelligence, self-respect and wisdom of the person ( man or woman) who would take this job.

7/01/2015 6:18 pm  #16

From what I have been able to glean Ferry extension may only be one year.  Burt received two years.  This gives both Ferry and Burt 4 years to reach the stated goal of the NCAA.  This assumes that Ferry's original deal was 6-years and not 7-years as stated by Andy Katz in his 4/12 article (link below for reference)

Craig Meyer ‏@CraigMeyerPG 3h3 hours ago Dan Burt had two years remaining on his deal at Duquesne. The extension gives him two more years, so through the 2018-19 season.

Katz 4/12 article:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7798543/duquesne-dukes-name-jim-ferry-new-head-coach

Ferry absolutely has to start winning next year (no excuses), and build on that the next two years.  If by the time Castro is a senior and DU is not in the NCAA (or last 4 out) Ferry needs to go because he will never get us to the promised next level. I hope that is still the goal.

Last edited by CLK (7/01/2015 6:32 pm)

7/01/2015 9:32 pm  #17

The writing was on the wall when Coach Ferry was appointed to the team to select the new AD. Do you think he was going to appoint someone who would fire him?

7/01/2015 9:49 pm  #18

pressurecooker wrote:

The writing was on the wall when Coach Ferry was appointed to the team to select the new AD. Do you think he was going to appoint someone who would fire him?

Pitt hired their football coach well before they hired their AD. ADs probably shouldn't have the power to hire, or fire the coach anyway.

Pitt football, and Duquesne hoops. I'm only a mild fan of Pitt football. I can't imagine how anyone could be a diehard fan of both (and they do exist) and keep their sanity.

7/01/2015 10:13 pm  #19

duq81 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

I have tried to follow Duquesne Basketball for all these past 50 plus years but since I have been an adult I don't remember a losing coach being extended at Duquesne. Maybe some other school was after him to take them from winning years to losing years and Duquesne didn't want to lose this "program changer"?

As was pointed out, Nee was extended after a 12 win season.

I missed that as by then I had moved to Fl and really ignored Duquesne Basketball for a time.

A diehard fan since 1961

7/05/2015 7:08 am  #20

This just shows that the AD will have very little power in the department, that the next president will be the real head of athletics. Why woud you do this now? Answer: To turn the new AD into nothing more than schedule-maker and hand-shaker. Ferry's record is deceiving. He has a losing record against some of the worst out of conference teams in the nation.

7/05/2015 1:02 pm  #21

rittersdiner wrote:

. Why woud you do this now?

Because a year from now, it would still be Charlie's call. If you fired Ferry next March, what are they supposed to do, wait until the new president comes in in July to hire a new coach? The new president will have more important things to do during his first year than worrying about a basketball coach. If Ferry doesn't get it done, the new president will have been here a year and a half, at which point he will have settled in. This would be the best time for him to shake things up, provided the team hasn't already started winning.

7/05/2015 6:30 pm  #22

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

. Why woud you do this now?

Because a year from now, it would still be Charlie's call. If you fired Ferry next March, what are they supposed to do, wait until the new president comes in in July to hire a new coach? The new president will have more important things to do during his first year than worrying about a basketball coach. If Ferry doesn't get it done, the new president will have been here a year and a half, at which point he will have settled in. This would be the best time for him to shake things up, provided the team hasn't already started winning.

No, this is Charlie's way of sticking it to the school, to exert his influence over the basketball program long after he is gone. They can't fire Ferry now because he has a - what? - 8-year deal now. Then if they happen to have a good season down the road,, he can say he knew it all the time. If not, then he could say it's not my fault. I'm not there anymore.

7/05/2015 7:26 pm  #23

Ritersdiner - excellent points.

7/06/2015 4:53 pm  #24

This could be a new topic, but can also fall under the discussion about Jim Ferry's contract extension. A  reliable source has indicated that he heard Ferry has sold his house in Pittsburgh and his family has moved back to New York. I don't know when this happened or if it's true. Presumably, Coach has an apartment in Pittsburgh. If true, it's certainly an unorthodox arrangement and one that could have more negative than positive implications for the program.

7/07/2015 8:34 am  #25

Westender wrote:

This could be a new topic, but can also fall under the discussion about Jim Ferry's contract extension. A  reliable source has indicated that he heard Ferry has sold his house in Pittsburgh and his family has moved back to New York. I don't know when this happened or if it's true. Presumably, Coach has an apartment in Pittsburgh. If true, it's certainly an unorthodox arrangement and one that could have more negative than positive implications for the program.

Don't know about any inside sources and certainly don't have my own but when he tweets this out a few weeks ago does that mean he had the team up to NY for a barbecue?

https://twitter.com/CoachJimFerry/status/607271874477834240

Board footera