Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2013 9:11 am  #1

Catholic 7 meeting in NY today

I would suspect the white smoke rises from the vatican & the new Commish is anointed.

1/04/2013 10:37 am  #2

Re: Catholic 7 meeting in NY today

By most accounts I've seen, It's going to be Creighton, Butler, Dayton, Xavier, and St. Louis. Being able to keep VCU is a big plus for the A10. If you look at it logically, it's not as bad a some would make it out to be. Forget about Butler, they are just making a pit stop in the A10. We are losing Xavier, Temple, Dayton, St. Louis, and Charlotte. Xavier, and Temple are big losses, but gaining VCU cancels one of those out. Charlotte's been terrible while in the A10, so we won't really feel a loss there. Dayton and St. Louis have been mid level teams, George Mason, and Siena can replace them without missing a beat. Invite Cleveland St., and the difference in the new league, and the old, will be the loss of one of your two powers (X and Temple), and their replacement with Cleveland St., which while not on Xavier's level, has been a very solid program. The revamped A10 is a 2-3 bid league, and could get better if LaSalle and Duquesne get their acts together. Losing VCU along with the others, might have been a blow the league couldn't recover from, but keeping them gives us a chance. If you wanted to go to 16, by adding Detroit, and Loyola, that wouldn't bother me either.

Last edited by duq81 (1/04/2013 10:42 am)

1/04/2013 10:51 am  #3

So DePaul which has been horrible over that last ten years gets a seat at the table as a power broker.  Funny how nobody seems to mention the fact that they have been ridiculously awful, and have absorbed so many embarrassing losses over the last ten years. They have only one redeeming quality that is their location in Chicago; but does anyone in Chicago even pay attention to DePaul any longer?

1/04/2013 12:22 pm  #4

levon1975 wrote:

So DePaul which has been horrible over that last ten years gets a seat at the table as a power broker.  Funny how nobody seems to mention the fact that they have been ridiculously awful, and have absorbed so many embarrassing losses over the last ten years. They have only one redeeming quality that is their location in Chicago; but does anyone in Chicago even pay attention to DePaul any longer?

Let's be honest, the C7 are going to stick together, so DePaul, SH, and PC get a seat at the table, fair or not. That said, DePaul has mostly sucked for the last 20 years (with a few NCAA teams sprinkled in. Duquesne has sucked for the last 40 years, so it's hard for us to have room to put down any program. DePaul woke up in the mid 70's, had a stupendous 10-12 year run, and then declined. All of this happened during our 40 year slumber.

1/04/2013 12:59 pm  #5

duq81:  Please clarify.  Adding Detroit and Loyola, are you referring to Chicago Loyola or Baltimore Loyola?  I assumed Chicago, since they are in the same conference as Detroit.

1/04/2013 1:09 pm  #6

Obviously Chicago.

1/04/2013 1:10 pm  #7

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Let's be honest, the C7 are going to stick together, so DePaul, SH, and PC get a seat at the table, fair or not. That said, DePaul has mostly sucked for the last 20 years (with a few NCAA teams sprinkled in. Duquesne has sucked for the last 40 years, so it's hard for us to have room to put down any program. DePaul woke up in the mid 70's, had a stupendous 10-12 year run, and then declined. All of this happened during our 40 year slumber.

They have to stick together to get an automatic bid.  It takes a minimum of 7 schools playing together for at least two years to be recognized fo an automatic bid as a league.

1/04/2013 1:48 pm  #8

Would be amazing if the A10 outperformed them.

1/04/2013 2:32 pm  #9

I hope the white flag is not being raised at the bluff. Duquesne should be in a league with like "Catholic" institutions. The big 7 are negotiating with ABC for a TV deal greater then the current big east contract. As for the A-10 Internet only. Again this is very crucial for the future of Duquesne TV money the Garden national league & exposuee vs. the regional A-10. Please don't accept failure I've seen this gig much too too long out of athletics @ Duquesne. Dr. D has put this program in a position to warrant an invite close the deal. Please Sienna George mason your on drugs!

1/04/2013 3:36 pm  #10

As I said in earlier posts, if the A-10 could stay together as it stands, it could put the "7" in an uncomfortable spot; the "7" would still have the advantage of a better TV deal in the short-term; but that could change as it became clear that the A-10 was as strong or stronger on the court as the "7".  They would be in shock if they attempted to raid the A-10 and everyone stood firm!

Unfortinately, those who can jump ship probably will, so we will never know how this could work out.  It would make for interesting confrontations down the road if the A-10 would hold together and allow the "7" to navigate on their own for a while.

1/04/2013 3:44 pm  #11

Ironduke81 wrote:

I hope the white flag is not being raised at the bluff. Duquesne should be in a league with like "Catholic" institutions. The big 7 are negotiating with ABC for a TV deal greater then the current big east contract. As for the A-10 Internet only. Again this is very crucial for the future of Duquesne TV money the Garden national league & exposuee vs. the regional A-10. Please don't accept failure I've seen this gig much too too long out of athletics @ Duquesne. Dr. D has put this program in a position to warrant an invite close the deal. Please Sienna George mason your on drugs!

Now see, you were complaining about name calling, and now you're making nasty personal comments. You have a lot of gall to look down on George Mason, a school who has been to the Final Four in our lifetime, and Siena, who has been to the NCAA's 6 times since our last visit, and has actually won 4 games, despite always being a lower seed. Duquesne would be lucky to share a conference with George Mason. We can't force the C7 to take us. They don't want us. With as little as we've contributed to the A10, we're lucky they haven't asked us to leave.

1/04/2013 4:44 pm  #12

Your right screw those dumps of a catholic institution like Georgetown, Villanova,Creighton, Marquette & Xavier.
Niagra,Fairfield Iona Marist that's some great additions especially when Umass Charlotte & Temple leave for football.No name calling you must have been on aspirin sorry my bad.Again Duquesne with the Pgh market & Consol belongs forget the Ws & Ls as well as the last 25 years these are crucial times for the future of this program.

1/04/2013 4:46 pm  #13

Dr D put us in a position to warrant an invite.   Ahh okay.

FYI - per Andy Katz on Twitter nothing decided today.  Not even their exit date.  They announced a law firm representing them.

1/04/2013 5:24 pm  #14

Ironduke81 wrote:

Your right screw those dumps of a catholic institution like Georgetown, Villanova,Creighton, Marquette & Xavier.
Niagra,Fairfield Iona Marist that's some great additions especially when Umass Charlotte & Temple leave for football.No name calling you must have been on aspirin sorry my bad.Again Duquesne with the Pgh market & Consol belongs forget the Ws & Ls as well as the last 25 years these are crucial times for the future of this program.

Where did he say screw the Catholic 7?  I think we would all love to be invited.

But be realistic, we have done nothing to deserve to be invited. And Duq81 is correct. We are lucky our asses have never been bounced from the A10. 

Putting in a new scoreboard and replacing bleachers at Palumbo and the ability to rent an arena is not going to be enough.

1/04/2013 6:24 pm  #15

duqkurt wrote:

Dr D put us in a position to warrant an invite.   Ahh okay.

FYI - per Andy Katz on Twitter nothing decided today.  Not even their exit date.  They announced a law firm representing them.

I do not know if it is too late for DU to be invited or not.  However, if we have any chance to get in it would be to sell the future potential of Duquesne (arena, market, commitment) not our past history. Dr. D. has put us in position by more than doubling our basketball budget & improving facilities,.  He would need to convince the new league that DU will do what it takes to be successful.

1/04/2013 8:38 pm  #16

Don't be surprised about Xavier and Dayton bailing out on Duquesne ... they've done that before. If the A-10 remnant ends up in a bad position, it will give Amodio equal footing with Colleary, who engineered the MCC fiasco.

1/04/2013 9:55 pm  #17

ElDuque wrote:

Don't be surprised about Xavier and Dayton bailing out on Duquesne ... they've done that before. If the A-10 remnant ends up in a bad position, it will give Amodio equal footing with Colleary, who engineered the MCC fiasco.

I don't believe they a say in the matter.  It is not like they are doing the inviting, they are the guests.  Usually when you say to a host, I am not coming to your wedding unless you invite my poor brother also......the host will say "Okay, sorry you feel that way, we would have loved to have you."

I don't see what standing Xavier and Dayton have to dictate who gets invited. And I don't see either school pitching a fit if DU is not invited.  IMO.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/04/2013 9:56 pm)

1/04/2013 9:59 pm  #18

And when have X and Dayton bailed out DU before?  Dayton did the exact opposite. They were a part of the group that lured Duquesne into the MCC and then bailed on Duquesne for the ill fated Great Midwest Conference.  Dayton left after one year causing Duquesne to come back to the A10 with its tail between its legs.

I was told by one person in the Colleary regime that there was bad blood between the schools because of this.... back in the day.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/04/2013 10:01 pm)

1/04/2013 10:11 pm  #19

duqkurt wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I don't believe they a say in the matter. It is not like they are doing the inviting, they are the guests. Usually when you say to a host, I am not coming to your wedding unless you invite my poor brother also......the host will say "Okay, sorry you feel that way, we would have loved to have you."

I don't see what standing Xavier and Dayton have to dictate who gets invited. And I don't see either school pitching a fit if DU is not invited. IMO.

100% correct. The point I'm making, is that if it goes down the way it's being reported, the A10 will still be a pretty good league. We're not going to be inviting Marist, and schools like that. GMU, Siena, and Cleveland St. are all teams that are no stranger to playing meaningful games in March, and would be very good additions to the league. Keeping VCU is a big plus for the A10, and the league I listed is a very solid league. It's hard for me to rip the A10, when Duquesne is a major point of weakness in the league. Duquesne pulling it's own weight would go a long way towards making the league more respected.

Last edited by duq81 (1/04/2013 10:13 pm)

1/05/2013 9:19 am  #20

Please do not kid yourself.  If or when the A10 loses Temple, Xavier, Butler, Dayton, SLU, & Charlotte the left over A10 is much weaker league.  I am not excited to hear about Siena or Cleveland State.  GM is a good replacement, and Siena had some success, however, both Siena & GM's glory days are gone with their coaches. Cleveland State is a thug school and does not belong with other A10 institutions.  The A10's TV exposure will be drastiocally reduced which means revenue will be reduced.  VCU has had recent success due to their coach.  How long do you think it will be until he leaves?

Last edited by CLK (1/05/2013 9:37 am)

1/05/2013 9:30 am  #21

Kurt, it's not about us getting an invitation, it's about them leaving. Unlike the MCC, the current A-10 is a great conference. Breaking it up is a mistake, and I wish someone would have had the foresight to go after a couple of the Big Least basketball-only schools to prevent the inevitable from happening. Losing what amounts to the upper half of your conference is bad news, period. Cleveland State and Siena are not the answer.

I'd rather see Duquesne in the Patriot League at this point. Don't kid yourself, the watered-down A-10 will not be better. As CLK says, the VMI shoe will drop and so will the UMass shoe. Then you have a crap conference.

Whoever's responsible, from the Commissioner to the school presidents (including Dr. Dougherty) to the ADs (including Amodio) ... bad job. Period.

1/05/2013 10:01 am  #22

CLK wrote:

Please do not kid yourself.  If or when the A10 loses Temple, Xavier, Butler, Dayton, SLU, & Charlotte the left over A10 is much weaker league.  I am not excited to hear about Siena or Cleveland State.  GM is a good replacement, and Siena had some success, however, both Siena & GM's glory days are gone with their coaches. Cleveland State is a thug school and does not belong with other A10 institutions.  The A10's TV exposure will be drastiocally reduced which means revenue will be reduced.  VCU has had recent success due to their coach.  How long do you think it will be until he leaves?

Siena has had success under many coaches. Anthony Grant was at VCU, and won big before Shake Smart got there. Jeff Capel was successful at VCU before Grant. Are you beginning to get the picture? They have a good program there. As for Butler, they just got here. The league was already good. Temple and Xavier are big losses, but Dayton has done no more than the three teams I mentioned, and SLU has one NCAA bid as a member, and what are they going to do without Majerus? Charlotte? They have done absolutely nothing as a member of the A10. I expect this whining from some posters, but not you and ED. Would I like to be playing Villanova, and Georgetown, sure, but we can't force them to take us. The point I'm making is that people are acting like we're going to be playing in the NEC. That's not the case, this will still be a pretty good league, and could be better if certain programs would start pulling their weight. The past 40 years is biting us in the butt. That said, I'm not going to roll into ball because we don't get in. Duquesne needs to start putting a better product on the floor. Gonzaga was playing a crap league, but has raised the WCC's profile with their play. Why can't we do that?

Last edited by duq81 (1/05/2013 10:10 am)

1/05/2013 10:06 am  #23

ElDuque wrote:

Kurt, it's not about us getting an invitation, it's about them leaving. Unlike the MCC, the current A-10 is a great conference. Breaking it up is a mistake, and I wish someone would have had the foresight to go after a couple of the Big Least basketball-only schools to prevent the inevitable from happening. Losing what amounts to the upper half of your conference is bad news, period. Cleveland State and Siena are not the answer.

I'd rather see Duquesne in the Patriot League at this point. Don't kid yourself, the watered-down A-10 will not be better. As CLK says, the VMI shoe will drop and so will the UMass shoe. Then you have a crap conference.

Whoever's responsible, from the Commissioner to the school presidents (including Dr. Dougherty) to the ADs (including Amodio) ... bad job. Period.

VMI is not a member of the A10. None of the BE Catholics were going to come unless Duquesne got kicked out. I don't know why you guys don't understand that. The BE schools consider us to be absolute garbage, and want no part of us, Bona, LaSalle, and Fordham. If the A10 had offered to kick those 4 out, the BE schools might have looked hard at joining. Sometimes the truth hurts. Go to any C7 board, and propose Duquesne as a member. You better have a thick skin.

1/05/2013 10:27 am  #24

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Siena has had success under many coaches. Anthony Grant was at VCU, and won big before Shake Smart got there. Jeff Capel was successful at VCU before Grant. Are you beginning to get the picture? They have a good program there. As for Butler, they just got here. The league was already good. Temple and Xavier are big losses, but Dayton has done no more than the three teams I mentioned, and SLU has one NCAA bid as a member, and what are they going to do without Majerus? Charlotte? They have done absolutely nothing as a member of the A10. I expect this whining from some posters, but not you ED. Would I like to be playing Villanova, and Georgetown, sure, but we can't force them to take us. The point I'm making is that people are acting like we're going to be playing in the NEC. That's not the case, this will still be a pretty good league, and could be better if certain programs would start pulling their weight.

Yes I get the picture (always a smart remark like you are some kind of expert). Siena is 2-12 overall this season and lost to Fordham, Last yea they were 14-17.  The year before that they were 13-17. As for Mason I said they would be a good replacement.  They have had good prior success.  However they lost a terrific coach and this year mason is only 7-6.  You are entitled you your opiniom but quit bashing fans as whiners who have different opinions.

1/05/2013 10:59 am  #25

Clearly I meant VCU, not VMI. Apologies.

Again, my point is NOT about Duquesne joining the Big Least.

My point - my opinion - is that someone in the A-10 should have seen this coming, and done something to keep the league strong.

If that means I'm not smart, or knowledgeable, or whatever, I have no control over that. I am not an insider like you, 81, with knowledge of how those ADs/school presidents feel about Duquesne. And frankly, I could care two (rhymes with Pitts) less what their fans think. I know enough graduates of those schools to consider myself lucky not to have gone there.

Board footera