Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2013 12:47 pm  #1

1/07/2013 3:49 pm  #2

Re: Fordham

Agreed!

1/07/2013 6:31 pm  #3

Also agreed. Strange how the first game in league play is a must win.

1/07/2013 8:51 pm  #4

steve19981 wrote:

Also agreed. Strange how the first game in league play is a must win.

Winnable road game for a team that will win few on the road.

1/07/2013 9:24 pm  #5

This will not be an easy game for us. We play poorly on the road, and Fordham by now has scouted us and know if it can take Coulter out of his game it can have its way with us. I can see a double-digit loss for Ferry's "homecoming" (the Bronx is as close as we'll get to LI).

1/07/2013 9:51 pm  #6

The Dukes will only be about a 2 point favorite in this game, so I would agree it is a MUST win game on the road.

1/08/2013 9:32 am  #7

A must win but not an easy one. It should be a nail biter. In fact, if it isn't, we are probably in big trouble! The road is very unforgiving and certainly has been for our Dukes. Looking forward to an extremely close win.

1/08/2013 1:46 pm  #8

I wonder how healthy Chris Gaston is. He barely played in their loss to Ole Miss the other night and missed a month with a knee injury earlier in the season. Since he returned from that, they're 3-3 with all their losses in road games to BCS conference schools: UConn, Georgia Tech and Ole Miss. If he's at or near 100%, the Dukes are gonna have their hands full. I don't know that Duquesne could get four wins against the schedule Fordham's played. Dukes certainly didn't fare any better against Pitt or Robert Morris.

1/09/2013 6:52 am  #9

Duquesne begins Atlantic 10 play after long hiatus
January 8, 2013 10:16 pm
By Paul Zeise / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/duquesne/duquesne-begins-atlantic-10-play-after-long-hiatus-669553/#ixzz2HTiXuSBl

"Duquesne will get a little help under the basket tonight, as 6-foot-9 sophomore forward Mamadou Datt, who sat out the first semester to focus on academics, will be on the bench for the first time. He appeared in 31 games last season and averaged 2.1 points and 2.2 rebounds per game."

1/09/2013 8:24 am  #10

Fordham is horrible bad guard play cant handle pressure or traps. If the Dukes sit back will get killed by Gatson @ Cattyshack. I only know this because the most horrible program in the A-10 with their new AD somehow got a deal on the YES i.e. Yankee network.They stink.Dukes 4 Freshman gets win on road watch out St. Joes sat @ home. 2-0 Go Dukes.

1/09/2013 9:29 am  #11

Fordham on Yes, makes me think about the Dukes on Root Sports.  With the NHL being settled and a new schedule with them playing alot of games, I hope our Root Sports scheduled games are not bumped.   There is no NHL schedule as of yet, so it is hard to know.

1/09/2013 11:39 am  #12

1/09/2013 3:04 pm  #13

As Penn State and Louisiana Lafayette have proven, you don't need good guards to beat Duquesne. You only need to rattle Coulter. Ferry's had a couple weeks to figure it out, so I hope Derrick can be effective for us.

He is the key. A good game by Coulter and we win. A bad game and we're under .500.

1/09/2013 6:06 pm  #14

Ironduke81 wrote:

Fordham is horrible bad guard play cant handle pressure or traps. If the Dukes sit back will get killed by Gatson @ Cattyshack. I only know this because the most horrible program in the A-10 with their new AD somehow got a deal on the YES i.e. Yankee network.They stink.Dukes 4 Freshman gets win on road watch out St. Joes sat @ home. 2-0 Go Dukes.

i hope your'e right. However the national betting public must think that the Dukes really suck since they have Fordham as a 2 point favorite! I expect (and hope) that the Dukes win by double digits to prove them wrong. If we don't win this game, we might have trouble winning 10 games this year.

1/09/2013 7:57 pm  #15

47-41 at half, dukes getting beat on boards, Rams have size and bulk inside, need a great come back to pull this out,

A diehard fan since 1961

1/09/2013 8:02 pm  #16

We are getting killed on the boards getting pushed around by a couple of wide bodies.  I don't get the coaching stratedgy playing Pantophlet at the 5.  No Abele in the 1st half.

1/09/2013 8:57 pm  #17

We don't have the horses. I doubt we'll win another road game this year. Ferry will need to ease a few guys out the door this spring.

1/09/2013 10:23 pm  #18

We lambasted Ron for playing such a small lineup (me included). Ferry wants to play even smaller. He's going to get someone killed.

1/09/2013 11:00 pm  #19

duq81 wrote:

We don't have the horses. I doubt we'll win another road game this year. Ferry will need to ease a few guys out the door this spring.

Isn't easing guys out the door one of the biggest reasons GA cited for firing RE??

1/09/2013 11:00 pm  #20

Who thinks we deserve to be in the C7.  No one.

1/09/2013 11:58 pm  #21

Westender wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Isn't easing guys out the door one of the biggest reasons GA cited for firing RE??

When a new coach comes in, he can ease out some of the holdover players without it being used against him. RE cleaned house when he got here, and rightfully so. When you start running off your own guys, that's when it can become a problem, and the negative recruiters begin to use it against you.

1/10/2013 12:40 am  #22

But Ron won and with a shooting and with a very short bench in his first year.  Ferry has a 7 foot center on the bench and is loosing inside but BIG TIME!!!!!  At this point,  don't compare Ferry to Ron.  At this point Ferry is no Ron.  Ron knew how to play small and win.  Ferry, at this point, doesn't look, at this point, as the heigher level??? In fact he is looking more like Danny than Ron.  Be careful what you wish for 81.

1/10/2013 6:17 am  #23

NapaDuke wrote:

But Ron won and with a shooting and with a very short bench in his first year.  Ferry has a 7 foot center on the bench and is loosing inside but BIG TIME!!!!!  At this point,  don't compare Ferry to Ron.  At this point Ferry is no Ron.  Ron knew how to play small and win.  Ferry, at this point, doesn't look, at this point, as the heigher level??? In fact he is looking more like Danny than Ron.  Be careful what you wish for 81.

Let's not get carried away. Ron won 9 games his first year. He caught teams off guard for a few games with 10/40. He didn't have much to work with, but I'll take Achara, and Ajax by themselves over what Ferry inherited. Next year will tell us more about Ferry. He has to get more talent in here. Watkins is a good start, but more help is needed.

1/10/2013 6:23 am  #24

Thanks for the data DUQ81.  I also forgot that only 9 games were one by RE in Year 1.

1/10/2013 7:00 am  #25

FAM wrote:

Thanks for the data DUQ81.  I also forgot that only 9 games were one by RE in Year 1.

Because of the circumstances, 9 wins felt good. Also, the fact that the spurt of good play occurred later in the season, left a good taste in our mouths. When the team faded at the very end, we attributed it to fatigue. This team had it's spurt very early, which caused expectations to rise among some. This team was projected to be the worst in the A10 by nearly all of the so called experts for a reason. The team lacks both size and talent. It's small ball again, and for the same reason. It's not because Ferry, or RE last year, thought that small lineups were the answer. It's because we don't have any bigs that can play. We have to get some size who can play. Soko, and Watkins will help, but we need more like them.

Board footera