Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2013 9:53 am  #1

St. Joe's

The Dukes have now lost three in a row and four of the last five.  The last win was against Western Michigan at home. All losses have been on the road. The Dukes are back home against the Joeys.  Can they pull the big upset?

1/11/2013 10:22 am  #2

Re: St. Joe's

Not predicting a win tomorrow but stranger things have happened. St. Joes not playing as well as many expected although everyone seems to be at their best against us. Homecooking could at least make this one interesting. I'll be there looking forward to a great effort by the Dukes. Need way more from SJ.

1/11/2013 11:21 am  #3

Ceased caring with the Fordham game.  When Ron was fired last year I predicted they wouldn't win more than 8 and now that looks like a stretch. 

Typical Duquesne timing.  Start another five year plan right when everything is in flux in college hoops, and we really need to show we are at least a medicore program on the rise rather than the seventh or eighth fire sale since 1977.

When the Dukes end up in a stripped down A-10 or the similar MAAC, one bid league in three years, my parents money is going to the American Cancer Society or something!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/11/2013 11:39 am  #4

Recruiting larger front cout players who are good, like Ferry did at LIU-B may turn the tide. When you think of it RE and the Dukes declined after Ajax and the Nit year. Even Saunders and Clark couldn't get us above the lowest post season tournament. 

Maybe Ferry can do it, the best players on this team are freshman, now if they can remain and be seniors with some quality recruits to help them, maybe this rebuilding will work out.

I have lived thru worse teams than this, and still remained loyal.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/11/2013 11:54 am  #5

Dear Teja I can't disagree with you frustration about the current state of Duquesne Mens basketball. However it is yours & mine University which has served my family well! Yeah am I disgusted about the way RE's termination was conducted of course it placed both Dr. D & this University in a field of s**t with alumni casual fans @ the media.However the constant threats of holding alumni donations raises a serious credibity issue via this board. Obviously I would dare never to tell you how to donate your parents money.Again I'm as frustrated as you but should the University suffer?

1/11/2013 12:57 pm  #6

Ryan Horne@ryanhorne1028
Halil Kanacevic will be unavailable for Saturday's game against Duquesne due to a death in the family, he is traveling to Montenegro

Sorry for this young man's loss.  He is one heck of a basketball player.  Not that the Joeys don't have other good bigs, but his absence may give us a better chance against them.

1/11/2013 1:35 pm  #7

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Ceased caring with the Fordham game.  When Ron was fired last year I predicted they wouldn't win more than 8 and now that looks like a stretch. 

Typical Duquesne timing.  Start another five year plan right when everything is in flux in college hoops, and we really need to show we are at least a medicore program on the rise rather than the seventh or eighth fire sale since 1977.

When the Dukes end up in a stripped down A-10 or the similar MAAC, one bid league in three years, my parents money is going to the American Cancer Society or something!

I am sorry to sound negative, but for the first time in my life I just don't really care any more.   It is just hard to be enthused with our consistant ineptitude, and the changing face of college sports.   I keep saying this over and over, but if no one at that school cares (including the people paid to care) why should I?  

I wasn't enthused about the season going in but with reading Scotchngars timeline on what transpired, along with the others accounts that pretty much confirm most of his timeline.....I just have been throughly disheartened.

This is even worse than the Nee last year, because at least the fan base was united.   The small fan base now is arguing with each other repeatedly on what is the correct course of action.  This is just another DU mess.

I don't tell people how to spend their money either, but as to Ironduke81 suggestion as to why should the University suffer?    If you contributing to the Athletic Department at this point (IMO), you are just throwing your hard earned dollars away.   The University general fund will at least educate someone.   I really believe that my small donations have been just a complete and utter waste of my money.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/11/2013 1:44 pm)

1/11/2013 2:21 pm  #8

Phildog wrote:

Recruiting larger front cout players who are good, like Ferry did at LIU-B may turn the tide. When you think of it RE and the Dukes declined after Ajax and the Nit year. Even Saunders and Clark couldn't get us above the lowest post season tournament. 

Maybe Ferry can do it, the best players on this team are freshman, now if they can remain and be seniors with some quality recruits to help them, maybe this rebuilding will work out.

I have lived thru worse teams than this, and still remained loyal.

I agree with you on this. This recruiting year is paramount to any future success that the Dukes will enjoy. With one big in the fold, we need to get another along with a solid perimeter shooter. There, problem solved!

1/12/2013 9:25 am  #10

I like the Dukes @ home. 1-1 in A-10 Home comfort.

1/12/2013 10:22 am  #11

My heart always wants the Dukes to win and will always root for them. My brain tells me we have no chance to beat St. Joe's. And I'm bearish on the rest of the A-10 schedule. We're going to lose some games by scores that are going to remind people of the way Calipari used to do his best to embarrass us with a roster full of professional athletes.

With all the talk of bigs, Abele deserves more playing time and Marhold, who is a big disappointment to me, deserves less. Pantophlet's minutes should also be limited. He looks lost sometimes.

But the big thing you need to win in college basketball is a great point guard. Witness Aaron Jackson. We need to recruit a next-level player. I like Coulter, but maybe more as a back-up.

1/12/2013 10:37 am  #12

According to Paul Zeise, Torres transfering after the season. Not unexpected and will open up a much needed scholarship. More to follow?

1/12/2013 9:34 pm  #13

Great effort.  The Dukes just could not get over the hump.  Every time they closed the gap they would break down on defense or commit a sloppy turnover. Another sub off the bench kills us with wide open three treys.  On one out of bound play the kid was camping out right in front of coach Ferry waiting for the ball.  Sure enough he got it and drained it.  Oh well a better result than I expected.  Both Marhold and Datt had good games.  Marhold a double double.  We just do not know how to execute in crunch time.  I would love to see the Dukes get a go to guy like Galloway.

1/12/2013 9:47 pm  #14

Good effort by Marhold. Should Ferry begin to give Datt some of Panto's minutes? 3 points in 25 minutes of play is just not going to cut it. If we're going to play a forward that can't score, I'd rather it be Datt.

1/12/2013 10:13 pm  #15

Sometimes I wonder if we are watching the same games.  Marhold played his heart out and was a force, and I would honestly take Coulter over TJ McConnell at this point.  Coulter may not always be successful, but he's not afraid to step up and take the shot.  Panto is still improving, and Datt looked like he actually knew what was going on tonight,  Remember, before the season started, everyone was upset when Ferry said this team would be a work in progress.  I think he has an eye for talent and he knows where he is going with the program.  Unfortunately, it will be too little too late.  It really doesn't matter with the Sacred 7, because you can see how the big majors are squeezing the little schools out gradually.  If the small schools were smart, they would band together and form their own super conference with as many small schools as possible to leverage against the big schools, but instead they pick each other off and only the big schools win. I refuse to watch the big hype games anymore, and from what I hear of the Alabama/Notre Dame game, I'm not missing much.

1/13/2013 12:56 pm  #16

Kadeem plays hard on defense, however, on offense he is very limited.  His game seems to be to hang out on the wing, and seldom puts the ball on the floor.  I do not understand why as he is very athletic.  He rotates with Winters who is not as good on defense, and at times he looks lost.  Hopefully our coaches will work with him as there is no reason why he can not be a better defender.  Winters also seem to hang out in the wing and seldom takes his man off the dribble. He is also a very poor passer and has really hurt us with some sloppy turnovers.  Again another coaching challenge.  The good news is he is a freshman.  As Ferry recruits better, bigger, players (hopefully) these two guys project to play the 3.  If they are not going to be recruited over in the next couple of years they are going to have to improve to become more complete players.  I miss the way BJ use to run the base line and score inside.

Last edited by CLK (1/13/2013 12:58 pm)

1/13/2013 1:03 pm  #17

1/13/2013 2:47 pm  #18

CLK wrote:

Kadeem plays hard on defense, however, on offense he is very limited.  His game seems to be to hang out on the wing, and seldom puts the ball on the floor.  I do not understand why as he is very athletic.  He rotates with Winters who is not as good on defense, and at times he looks lost.  Hopefully our coaches will work with him as there is no reason why he can not be a better defender.  Winters also seem to hang out in the wing and seldom takes his man off the dribble. He is also a very poor passer and has really hurt us with some sloppy turnovers.  Again another coaching challenge.  The good news is he is a freshman.  As Ferry recruits better, bigger, players (hopefully) these two guys project to play the 3.  If they are not going to be recruited over in the next couple of years they are going to have to improve to become more complete players.  I miss the way BJ use to run the base line and score inside.

BJ reminded me of Dwane Rawls in his improvement , BJ went from a point guard to a small forward ho could score down low, out rebound bigger guys plus both were good guys

A diehard fan since 1961

1/13/2013 6:33 pm  #19

Can't always live in the past folks, BJ is gone.  Let's focus on the progress of this team.
The team really played hard last night and kept coming back on a much taller and very talented team; until they tied it at 51.  They just need to work on getting good looks in these critical situations; hopefully that will come in time as we add more scoring options.  I was very impressed with our rebounding (+14) over St. Joes; and the defense was spirited but with a few breakdowns not checking the three-point shooters. 

The game was poorly officiated; with an especially ridiculous travelling call against DC late in the game on a fast break opportunity; which was immediately followed by an obvious travel by a St Joe's big guy that was ignored by these three clowns.  It was pretty clear that the main goal of this crew was to protect the interests of St. Joe's and their buddy Martelli.

Last edited by levon1975 (1/13/2013 6:37 pm)

1/13/2013 7:43 pm  #20

Prince, if you're talking to me about Marhold, you have to admit: This was the first time he showed up. Yesterday's effort is what I have expected to see from him all year, along with some senior leadership. Andre is a hard-working kid and I'm proud of the way he has developed, but all season it's been the same thing: 3 points, 2-3 rebounds, no blocks. I know he's an undersized guy playing against bigger guys, but Ferry could also have helped him out by bringing Abele into the game while he's still on the court. I mean what I say about Coulter. He's OK, but to be a top 2-3 team in the conference you need great. I don't see greatness there. I think the jury is back on Pantophlet and Jerry Jones, and it's time for less playing time. I liked the rebounding that Datt provided yesterday. I think Winters and Jeremiah Jones should get more minutes.

Sean Johnson has been an average player this year. Would have liked to see more.

Hope to see you post more Prince!

1/13/2013 9:04 pm  #21

Levon you missed my point.  I was not waxing nostalgic.  My reference to BJ's ability to drive the  base line was to highlight this element of the game that is missing with Kadeem and Winters. If these two young men could develop that part of the their game they could really help this team. I agree with you the officiating was suspect.  That traveling call on Colter was very suspect.

1/14/2013 9:34 am  #22

Great effort by Marhold. Without it, we would not have been in the game. Hopefully there will be more strong performances from him. I really do not know how Abele fits in long term here. I know that he has another year and might continue to improve under John Rhodes but I just do not see the athleticism needed to perform at this level. Hope I'm wrong!

Board footera