Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2013 1:23 pm  #1

RE and Ferry its own thread

If those want to continue with this topic then lets give it its own thread. I posted when Ferry was hired, that he was a copy of RE, he really never played big and was aggressive on offense and defense, just like RE. If RE was given a pass to clean house his first year, like some have posted, then Ferry should have done the same, and did what RE did, and bring in a whole new team other that Ajax and Kerion. Those have posted that the talent that was left was terrible, or mediocre and its what Ferry has to work with, BS, he should have cleaned house then, RE had the balls to do it and even after his top 5 were shot managed to win 10 games. Don't for a minute underestimate that, imagine the emotional effect it had on the staff and team.

Those who have posted derogatory remarks about the recruits RE was going to bring in last year have no idea whether they would make it hear or not. Some of you speak as if it was a joke and smoke and screen, tell me what you know, give me some facts as to why they were not coming, again facts, not assumptions or predictions. Or give me the facts of those who verbally committed, did not come and Jack was going to save the program. Its all speculation, you can talk all you want about what you think, might be, should be, can't wait till he comes, but the bottom line is no one knows how it will work out until the games are played. So all the RE would not make it through his last year, and Ferry has to deal with no talent is BS.

I am tired of the Plateaued excuse and predictions of recruits, predictions of RE's last year, and what Ferry was left with. Ferry is the coach and I wish him the best, but don't use RE as a cushion for his failures, if the talent was that bad and his recruits have not performed that's on him not RE.

GA sold CD on Dambrot and the transfers, shoe gate, organization, Blah blah blah, he took your program to a level you have not seen in decades and 4 years of post season, and a lot of your say he plateaued, well get ready for another couple of decades in the cellar. After the C7 raid the A10 and we are going back to the bottom nothing is going to change. Especially when the only concept we have is to give a T-shirt give away on Saturdays to get students to come. Most of  our students drive BMW 325i's to school, I hardly think a T-shirt is going to lure them, and some hear hope we get asked by the C7 Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This Athletic department couldn't run a lemonade stand.

1/11/2013 1:50 pm  #2

Re: RE and Ferry its own thread

RE went to WVU as an assistant this year, didn't Jim Satalin also do that at WVU after he was booted, also?

A diehard fan since 1961

1/11/2013 2:33 pm  #3

Scotch, first of all, this comment is just as negative as the ones the other posters have written about Ron.  I understand that you hate Amodio, and that's fine, but you can't say that you wish Ferry the best and then proceed to tell everyone that we are going to be in the cellar for the next couple of decades.  That's absurd.  Also, this talk of the C7 is completely and utter nonsense.  We weren't getting invited with Everhart or Ferry.  Had Ron got us to the post season the past couple of seasons then we may have had a small chance, but to say that we aren't getting invited and acting like it's a result of the past year is simply untrue. Not only that, but how can you know that we will be in the cellar of the new A10.  You have absolutely no idea what the new A10 will look like.  It could be the leftover 10 teams, or it could add Mason, Sienna, Cleveland State, and some other programs that people have mentioned on various message boards.  In any case, I think we have the facilities and commitment to compete with any of the schools that will be in our league.  Sure, we might be a 2-3 bid league at best, but we will certainly have a better chance of succeeding.  

As for these recruits that Ron was going to bring in, I don't think they are worth mentioning.  You bring up a good point about Ferry running off players.  He should have and should be blamed for not doing so.  Perhaps he didn't realize how little some of the guys would contribute.  My hope is that they transfer and we can land some other guys.  

Again, regarding the event this weekend, the Crew has been doing some events to raise awareness.  The basketball team helped at a nitespot dinner last night, they have 10 student organizations sponsoring the event for the game, there is a meet and greet with the coaches tonight for students, a banner making competition to be judged by alumni, and a spirit competition.  I think that's a pretty decent effort personally.  Perhaps you could elaborate on some ideas and email them to the marketing director?

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/11/2013 2:42 pm  #4

Scotchngars wrote:

If those want to continue with this topic then lets give it its own thread. I posted when Ferry was hired, that he was a copy of RE, he really never played big and was aggressive on offense and defense, just like RE. If RE was given a pass to clean house his first year, like some have posted, then Ferry should have done the same, and did what RE did, and bring in a whole new team other that Ajax and Kerion. Those have posted that the talent that was left was terrible, or mediocre and its what Ferry has to work with, BS, he should have cleaned house then, RE had the balls to do it and even after his top 5 were shot managed to win 10 games. Don't for a minute underestimate that, imagine the emotional effect it had on the staff and team.

Those who have posted derogatory remarks about the recruits RE was going to bring in last year have no idea whether they would make it hear or not. Some of you speak as if it was a joke and smoke and screen, tell me what you know, give me some facts as to why they were not coming, again facts, not assumptions or predictions. Or give me the facts of those who verbally committed, did not come and Jack was going to save the program. Its all speculation, you can talk all you want about what you think, might be, should be, can't wait till he comes, but the bottom line is no one knows how it will work out until the games are played. So all the RE would not make it through his last year, and Ferry has to deal with no talent is BS.

I am tired of the Plateaued excuse and predictions of recruits, predictions of RE's last year, and what Ferry was left with. Ferry is the coach and I wish him the best, but don't use RE as a cushion for his failures, if the talent was that bad and his recruits have not performed that's on him not RE.

GA sold CD on Dambrot and the transfers, shoe gate, organization, Blah blah blah, he took your program to a level you have not seen in decades and 4 years of post season, and a lot of your say he plateaued, well get ready for another couple of decades in the cellar. After the C7 raid the A10 and we are going back to the bottom nothing is going to change. Especially when the only concept we have is to give a T-shirt give away on Saturdays to get students to come. Most of  our students drive BMW 325i's to school, I hardly think a T-shirt is going to lure them, and some hear hope we get asked by the C7 Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This Athletic department couldn't run a lemonade stand.

You may be right and I don't know enough to argue anything that you have posted here or elsewhere. I was a big RE fan (4th winningest coach @ DU)  but I guess we play the hand that's been dealt. I will continue to support the BB program and hope that Ferrry can do the job. I have no other options. I won't turn my back on the program and I will never give up my 2 season tickets.

1/11/2013 2:56 pm  #5

Phildog wrote:

RE went to WVU as an assistant this year, didn't Jim Satalin also do that at WVU after he was booted, also?

what does that have to do with the price of ducks? I told you the letter cost him 2 head coaching jobs, did you read my post are you just sitting at home drooling?

1/11/2013 3:03 pm  #6

Simms wrote:

Scotch, first of all, this comment is just as negative as the ones the other posters have written about Ron.  I understand that you hate Amodio, and that's fine, but you can't say that you wish Ferry the best and then proceed to tell everyone that we are going to be in the cellar for the next couple of decades.  That's absurd.  Also, this talk of the C7 is completely and utter nonsense.  We weren't getting invited with Everhart or Ferry.  Had Ron got us to the post season the past couple of seasons then we may have had a small chance, but to say that we aren't getting invited and acting like it's a result of the past year is simply untrue. Not only that, but how can you know that we will be in the cellar of the new A10.  You have absolutely no idea what the new A10 will look like.  It could be the leftover 10 teams, or it could add Mason, Sienna, Cleveland State, and some other programs that people have mentioned on various message boards.  In any case, I think we have the facilities and commitment to compete with any of the schools that will be in our league.  Sure, we might be a 2-3 bid league at best, but we will certainly have a better chance of succeeding.  

As for these recruits that Ron was going to bring in, I don't think they are worth mentioning.  You bring up a good point about Ferry running off players.  He should have and should be blamed for not doing so.  Perhaps he didn't realize how little some of the guys would contribute.  My hope is that they transfer and we can land some other guys.  

Again, regarding the event this weekend, the Crew has been doing some events to raise awareness.  The basketball team helped at a nitespot dinner last night, they have 10 student organizations sponsoring the event for the game, there is a meet and greet with the coaches tonight for students, a banner making competition to be judged by alumni, and a spirit competition.  I think that's a pretty decent effort personally.  Perhaps you could elaborate on some ideas and email them to the marketing director?

Your right I don't know the outcome of the A10, but after the raid of our conference, tell me who is going to have the advantage on recruits over the A10 now, not only the remainder of big east but new conference, with X, DU, SLU, CU, and Butler. What kid would want to come to the left over of the A10 when they may be recruited by the above mentioned conference's. You can't see that?

Again as far as incoming recruits from RE don't say "not worth mentioning" I asked for facts, read my words!

1/11/2013 3:06 pm  #7

I like Ron.He worked very hard and provided some thrilling moments. I also like Jim. By the time he was hired, he had little time to put togehter a staff and recruit. I don't believe he can be judged on what happens this year. In fact, I think we have to give him two more full recruiting years before reaching a conclusion as to whether he can do the job. 

I continue to support the DAF, although I had to search my soul after the way Ron was treated when they fired him.

1/11/2013 3:14 pm  #8

Scotch, I love the picture of Jules, but can we please stop harping on your dislike for the AD and his staff.  It got old a long time ago. 
Just for the record, you stated that RE and JFerry are carbon copies, as far as offensive and defensive strategy and that is clearly incorrect.  RE played a gambling style of defense that was predicated on getting steals and turning them into easy baskets.  The players gambled in the passing lanes often and consequently lost their man regularly.  The downside was that against good teams we couldn't force  turnovers, and because of the lack defensive fundamentals, and adequate size,  we gave up layups, second shots, and wide open looks repeatedly.  JFerry does not favor a gambling defense and stresses fundamental defense, fighting through screens (RE's teams switched on screens consistently).  He also has had great rebounding teams.  JFerry would like to run as often as possible as did RE.  The key to running however is to be able to get stops on defense and rebound!  RE's running game broke down when the steals didn't come and of course the rebounds were also missing; so how do you run when the opponent is scoring baskets and getting offensive rebounds until they score? 
There is a huge difference in philosophy.  Let's be patient and see if JFERRY can bring in the talent that he can mold into his type of team.
Hope to see all of you Dukes fans at the game tomorrow night!  Let's beat St, Joe's and begin to turn things around.

1/11/2013 3:16 pm  #9

Simms, unless my last post wasn't clear enough, my post was not negative, just the reality that after the raid Ferry is fighting the biggest up hill battle to recruit because of the raid. So since it seems to be inevitable that those who think he has to, and is forgiven to loose this season, why would we be able to attract any player worth their salt to come here. Please tell me why, game day environment, crazy fan support, history of winning, less last five years, Coaching turn over, etc.... I'm not a hater just a realist, I hate political correctness its the failure of all.

1/11/2013 3:35 pm  #10

Scotchngars wrote:

Phildog wrote:

what does that have to do with the price of ducks? I told you the letter cost him 2 head coaching jobs, did you read my post are you just sitting at home drooling?

Satalin never coached again.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/11/2013 4:10 pm  #11

Phildog wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

Phildog wrote:

And one more thing, I liked RE, the last one to win here was Mike Rice, Sr, and he was also mistreated, my partner who is in Pgh advertised on radio broadcasts and was season ticket holder, alumni,( former Shiek as student) and became friends with RE. It is just since The Red Head coached, this school has treated Head Coaches poorly once they decide to change horses. I believe we stay fans in spite of the Administration, Scott Edgar could only get an assistants job until BC was booted and then he was at SE Missouri St for several years.

The administration, in my view, condones this.

Plus I would never personally insult you with the drooling comment, in fact I find your posts interesting.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/11/2013 5:40 pm  #12

Scotchngars wrote:

If RE was given a pass to clean house his first year, like some have posted, then Ferry should have done the same, and did what RE did, and bring in a whole new team other that Ajax and Kerion. Those have posted that the talent that was left was terrible, or mediocre and its what Ferry has to work with, BS, he should have cleaned house then, RE had the balls to do it and even after his top 5 were shot managed to win 10 games. Don't for a minute underestimate that, imagine the emotional effect it had on the staff and team.

RE was given a pass to clean house.  Ferry may have been given the same pass, but elected not to clean house.  Just because he didn't clean house makes him less of a coach. 

There's a second factor potentially at work here also.  Note that there is an APR - Academic Progress Report, and you currently have to be above 925 to reach academic progress without sanctions.  It is a rolling four year average.  DU's multiyear rate for four of the last six years would have been below the new 925 number. and the 2011 number (the last I can find) was 923.  The APR standards are also getting tougher, where for 2013-14 season schools need a 930 four-year average or a 940 two-year average.  If we cleaned house, those APR numbers would have potentially hurt our APR to where we may have had a loss of schollies or a postseason ban.  Perhaps some of this played a role in Ferry's decision...

I agree with the other comments on the system differences between RE and Ferry that Levon pointed out.

1/11/2013 6:35 pm  #13

rogabee wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

If RE was given a pass to clean house his first year, like some have posted, then Ferry should have done the same, and did what RE did, and bring in a whole new team other that Ajax and Kerion. Those have posted that the talent that was left was terrible, or mediocre and its what Ferry has to work with, BS, he should have cleaned house then, RE had the balls to do it and even after his top 5 were shot managed to win 10 games. Don't for a minute underestimate that, imagine the emotional effect it had on the staff and team.

RE was given a pass to clean house.  Ferry may have been given the same pass, but elected not to clean house.  Just because he didn't clean house makes him less of a coach. 

There's a second factor potentially at work here also.  Note that there is an APR - Academic Progress Report, and you currently have to be above 925 to reach academic progress without sanctions.  It is a rolling four year average.  DU's multiyear rate for four of the last six years would have been below the new 925 number. and the 2011 number (the last I can find) was 923.  The APR standards are also getting tougher, where for 2013-14 season schools need a 930 four-year average or a 940 two-year average.  If we cleaned house, those APR numbers would have potentially hurt our APR to where we may have had a loss of schollies or a postseason ban.  Perhaps some of this played a role in Ferry's decision...

I agree with the other comments on the system differences between RE and Ferry that Levon pointed out.

Good points. Also, keep in mind that cleaning house would likely have left us very unbalanced classwise, which is never a good thing. Ferry may be using this year to see what he's got. I think by now, he's seen that Torres, and Martin don't have it, and they will be the guys who are eased out.

1/12/2013 6:12 am  #14

Phildog wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

And one more thing, I liked RE, the last one to win here was Mike Rice, Sr, and he was also mistreated, my partner who is in Pgh advertised on radio broadcasts and was season ticket holder, alumni,( former Shiek as student) and became friends with RE. It is just since The Red Head coached, this school has treated Head Coaches poorly once they decide to change horses. I believe we stay fans in spite of the Administration, Scott Edgar could only get an assistants job until BC was booted and then he was at SE Missouri St for several years.

The administration, in my view, condones this.

Plus I would never personally insult you with the drooling comment, in fact I find your posts interesting.

My apologies your right.

1/12/2013 10:12 am  #15

Phildog wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Satalin did some things that once everyone knew, guaranteed he would never coach again.

Everhart, on the other hand, has not. I'm guessing he will not only coach again, but perhaps even be more successful than he was at Duquesne University, because I think he will have learned a lesson about surrounding himself with the right people.

1/12/2013 10:15 am  #16

ElDuque wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

Satalin did some things that once everyone knew, guaranteed he would never coach again.

Everhart, on the other hand, has not. I'm guessing he will not only coach again, but perhaps even be more successful than he was at Duquesne University, because I think he will have learned a lesson about surrounding himself with the right people.

Hope you are right El D,, re gave us many thrills and wins in his era.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera