Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2013 4:35 pm  #1

Torres to Transfer

Paul Zeise reports via his Twitter feed that PJ Torres will transfer.

1/11/2013 5:00 pm  #2

Re: Torres to Transfer

That explains a lot.  I wish him all the best.

1/11/2013 5:01 pm  #3

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Paul Zeise reports via his Twitter feed that PJ Torres will transfer.

He and the Herra kid from Miami were both questionable when they came in several years ago, good luck to Torres in the future.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/11/2013 6:32 pm  #4

I would like to see one more scholarship open.  If one more scholarship would open Ferry should in my opinion recruit another quick pure point guard (good handle and good defender), the best shooting/scoring guard he can find (love to land Severe or Notice), and a strong rebounding PF/C (possibly a JUCO).  By the way all of those that follow recruiting Richard Williams will decide in the next two weeks.  The Dukes maybe by their choice are out. According his coach he will decide between St. Bonaventure, Hofstra, Kent State and St. Peter's.

Last edited by CLK (1/11/2013 6:52 pm)

1/12/2013 10:06 am  #5

Hurts the backcourt depth, in my opinion. Binney has been a major disappointment, and when teams clamp down on Coulter there's no one else who can dribble.

1/12/2013 10:12 am  #6

ElDuque wrote:

Hurts the backcourt depth, in my opinion. Binney has been a major disappointment, and when teams clamp down on Coulter there's no one else who can dribble.

Torres could shoot but was more of a half court player, in transition he struggled.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/12/2013 4:32 pm  #7

Trib Article
http://triblive.com/sports/college/duquesne/3284444-74/torres-duquesne-games#axzz2HRGDlyIO

“It just felt like this wasn‘t a good fit for me,” he said. “I feel I could go somewhere else and help another program.”

1/14/2013 9:39 am  #8

Best of luck to Torres. He will help another program whose system he would be more suited to. Love the open scholarship. Need a big and a guard who can shoot.

1/14/2013 10:08 am  #9

Sorry to see PJ leave, he is a player who can score, and he also brings some excitement to the game; he played a huge role in winning the YSU game, and I feel could've been used to bring some "instant offense" off the bench.  He obviously could play out of control at times, but that might have been reduced with more experience.  SInce we don't see practice; its hard to say whether he could have worked his way into more playing time.
I wish him the best at his new school.

1/14/2013 6:13 pm  #10

When two different head coaches quickly sour on you....

1/15/2013 12:44 pm  #11

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Why would you say that?  He was only a freshman last year under Ron, and had other guys in front of him with more experience.  He started to get some minutes here and there for Ron,  late in the season.

1/15/2013 3:38 pm  #12

I think that Coach Ferry's failure to give PJ Torres some playing time at Fordham in PJ's own backyard and in front of family & freinds sent a message loud and clear about where he stood with the coach.  I believe that PJ was the NY Catholic League player of the year his high school senior year.  Best of luck to PJ at his new school!

1/16/2013 2:12 pm  #13

This could be a real blessing for PJ. It's obvious that he did not figure into Ferry's long term plans. I always thought that he would be able to help us but I'm not the coach for a reason!

1/16/2013 3:45 pm  #14

levon1975 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Why would you say that?  He was only a freshman last year under Ron, and had other guys in front of him with more experience.  He started to get some minutes here and there for Ron,  late in the season.

PJ only played in 9 games for 36 minutes last year, with no court time in the last 6 games.  I have been told that RE wanted to get rid of him early last year; I don't know why.  As godukes1970 said, JF sent a strong message to PJ in the Fordham game by nailing him to the bench (after seeing some action in 12 previous games).  I can only speculate why both coaches were not high on PJ.  But good luck to him in his basketball future.

Board footera