Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2013 12:24 pm  #1

UMass

I have to confess that I do not have high hopes for this game.  I have not felt this bad about a DU team since the Danny Nee era. It is not that I had high expectations going into the season, but after beating WVU I thought the Dukes would gain some momentum, and had enough to win some games in the A10 to avoid finishing last and possibly making the A10 Tournry.  Instead the Dukes have gone into a downward tail spin with the loss to Fordham pretty making those who predicted the Dukes to finish last look smart.  The Dukes have now lost 4 in a row and 5 of their last 6 and the big question is will they win any league games this year.   The Dukes play at Umass on national TV thursday night I just hope it is not a blow out.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/011413aaj.html

1/15/2013 1:47 pm  #2

Re: UMass

CLK wrote:

I have to confess that I do not have high hopes for this game.  I have not felt this bad about a DU team since the Danny Nee era. It is not that I had high expectations going into the season, but after beating WVU I thought the Dukes would gain some momentum, and had enough to win some games in the A10 to avoid finishing last and possibly making the A10 Tournry.  Instead the Dukes have gone into a downward tail spin with the loss to Fordham pretty making those who predicted the Dukes to finish last look smart.  The Dukes have now lost 4 in a row and 5 of their last 6 and the big question is will they win any league games this year.   The Dukes play at Umass on national TV thursday night I just hope it is not a blow out.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/011413aaj.html

I share the same gut feeling, this team when they keep it close, hasn't been able to pull it out down the steretch. Maybe if Datt and Marhold have big  inside games and one of the guards has a big night, but lt will take some effort. And  I hope somebench player from UMASS doesn't come off the pine lighting it up with 3's.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/15/2013 3:30 pm  #3

I don't have high hopes for a win, but I fully expect us to keep it close.  UMass has played to the level of their competition all year...

1/15/2013 4:52 pm  #4

Sigghhhhhhh.....  Now we're just supposed to be satisfied with keeping the games close and out-rebounding our opposition? Whatever happened to OUTSHOOTING your opponent?

1/15/2013 5:55 pm  #5

Jackson40 wrote:

Sigghhhhhhh.....  Now we're just supposed to be satisfied with keeping the games close and out-rebounding our opposition? Whatever happened to OUTSHOOTING your opponent?

Or,out scoring them, lol

A diehard fan since 1961

1/16/2013 9:51 am  #6

You mean win a league game brilliant!

1/16/2013 11:51 am  #7

Umass Jesse Morgan is out for the season. This is a big blow to Umass.  The guy who IMO we need to watch is Freddie Riely.  It seems every game sobody gets hot shoot the three against us, and he has hurt us in the past.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8847729/jesse-morgan-massachusetts-minutemen-remainder-season

Last edited by CLK (1/16/2013 11:51 am)

1/16/2013 2:16 pm  #8

Will be extremely difficult for us up there. Home court means so much to any team's success. I am looking for some steady improvement and, who knows, there will be a surprise win somewhere in our future. Hopefully won't be beaten by an overabundance of 3 point shots!

1/16/2013 2:24 pm  #9

Whatever happened to Sean Johnson? You know, if he would have a big game once, we'd have a puncher's chance. He can score in bunches when he's hot, ergo the reason Jarret Durham has nicknamed him "The Microwave." But it seems like he hasn't had a hot streak in two years.

1/16/2013 2:30 pm  #10

My thoughts are that throughout this year, we will be the underdog.  Can an upset occur?  Yes, but these are not frequent.  I believe that my focus will be twofold for the rest of the season:

1.  Did the team improve (We have to look at the stats)
2.  Are there individuals who improved?

A few years ago, sadly Andre was thought of so negatively and a lot of words were said about his lack of ability.  I personally believe he is the most improved player on the team.
The young man had to have worked very hard to get where he is at this time.  He should be commended. 

1/16/2013 4:11 pm  #11

ElDuque wrote:

Whatever happened to Sean Johnson? You know, if he would have a big game once, we'd have a puncher's chance. He can score in bunches when he's hot, ergo the reason Jarret Durham has nicknamed him "The Microwave." But it seems like he hasn't had a hot streak in two years.

Well El D, he doesn't have BJ running the baseline and scoring like last year, he drives into traffic and gets doubled or tripled, if Q could drive, and swing to small forward it could open things up. Still he can penetrate and shoot free throws, if he gave the Dukes 18 a game it could mean the difference.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/16/2013 4:28 pm  #12

Agree with Fam Andre has worked hard and improved. Secondly I don't believe in trashing these young men not to say anyone on this board Has done so.Time will tell as league play progresses. Really no trip to the a10 not good. Is 4 wins acceptable next year in league play then 7 then a 500 season! I'm seeing Duquesne in a 1 or 2  bid a10 league with zero tv revenue. Hopefully I'm wrong but very rarely!

1/17/2013 1:12 pm  #13

1/17/2013 1:13 pm  #14

It will be interesting to watch the match up between Colter & Williams.

1/17/2013 1:40 pm  #15

UMass basketball depth a concern heading into matchup with Duquesne

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball/index.ssf/2013/01/umass_basketball_depth_a_conce.html

1/17/2013 4:06 pm  #16

I have just arrived in Amherst and will go to the box office to see if Duquesne turned in any tickets.  Many times Duquesne's tickets are offered for resale and a fan can get a seat right behind the bench.  At any rate, I will be in the Mullins Center somewhere.  Nobody posted where Duquesne fans are going to gather before the game.  I'll just have to miss it.  Hope Duquesne plays better than last year-the game during the Atlantic-10 playoffs.  Let's shut down Chaz Williams.

1/17/2013 5:36 pm  #17

anyone have a link to the game?

1/17/2013 9:01 pm  #18

Scotchngars wrote:

Johnson got 29 and cut it to 3' but then got out classed. Our Dukes were out rebounded, sometimes the Umass players didn't even have to jump to get the rebound. This team is so small. May not win 10 this year.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/17/2013 9:37 pm  #19

Phildog wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

Johnson got 29 and cut it to 3' but then got out classed. Our Dukes were out rebounded, sometimes the Umass players didn't even have to jump to get the rebound. This team is so small. May not win 10 this year.

Looking ahead, I feel pretty good about the GW, Bona and Rhody games at home. I don't feel terribly about Xavier or road Bona. Not feeling good about Charlotte anymore.

Completely agree that they're too small. Lack of expierence hurts too. See Winters going 1-10 while trying to chuck up the hero ball  while a two possessions game in the second half.

Last edited by steve19981 (1/17/2013 9:38 pm)

1/17/2013 10:01 pm  #20

I had a good time depite the loss and the fact that the Umass PA announcer was a buffoon.  At every timeout he had to read some ad or annoucement.  He was a screamer this time.  When the Dukes played here last year in the A-10 playoffs, he had to be more tame-because it is supposed to be a somewhat neutral court in the playoffs.  Umass does not sell caps for the opposing teams-so nobody knew why I was cheering for Duquesne.  Duquesne played well at the start of both halves, then in the second half they got tired and had to take longer shots that did not go down.  They played their hearts out, but were too slow on the court.  They ran that weave that drives you all crazy.  By the way, Duquesne fans do not travel to support their team.  There  was no evidence of any Duquesne section or even row.  Xavier, Dayton, Richmond, St. Louis, St. Bonaventure, and even Fordham have fans in evidence at away games.  Stangely, Temple does not.  Coach Ferry has to get better players-that's all there is to it.  So long from Umass.

1/17/2013 10:17 pm  #21

Another head scratcher. We're getting outrebounded again and Abele gets pinned to the bench. Guess rebounding isn't a priority. Depending on a 6-5/6-6 Marhold and a gimpy-kneed Datt is the plan.

Was good to see Johnson break out - ahem - after what I wrote above. Too bad no one else showed up. Pantophlet is lost out there. He's had one good game all season (so has Marhold, BTW). Jerry Jones has also failed to step up his game.

I'm glad to see optimism on Steve's part. I desparately want to shar in that optimism, but I'm afraid I'm going to hear from Manti Te'o's girlfriend before I hear Ray Goss end a game with "Great ghosts alive, the Dukes win."

Bilgy, I am glad that you represented us tonight. In a word, sir, you rock.

1/17/2013 10:45 pm  #22

I rock, like in a rocking chair!

1/18/2013 3:46 am  #23

Bilgy wrote:

I had a good time depite the loss and the fact that the Umass PA announcer was a buffoon.  At every timeout he had to read some ad or annoucement.  He was a screamer this time.  When the Dukes played here last year in the A-10 playoffs, he had to be more tame-because it is supposed to be a somewhat neutral court in the playoffs.  Umass does not sell caps for the opposing teams-so nobody knew why I was cheering for Duquesne.  Duquesne played well at the start of both halves, then in the second half they got tired and had to take longer shots that did not go down.  They played their hearts out, but were too slow on the court.  They ran that weave that drives you all crazy.  By the way, Duquesne fans do not travel to support their team.  There  was no evidence of any Duquesne section or even row.  Xavier, Dayton, Richmond, St. Louis, St. Bonaventure, and even Fordham have fans in evidence at away games.  Stangely, Temple does not.  Coach Ferry has to get better players-that's all there is to it.  So long from Umass.

By the way, Duquesne "student fans" do not travel the 300 yards from their dorm rooms to Palumbo to support "their" team.  Thanks Bilgy for representin'.

1/18/2013 8:37 am  #24

I really thought that Pantophlet & Winters killed us last night.  Winters is completely lost on defense, and is so predictably one demensional on offense.  He was 1-10 shooting last night, hoisting ill advised three point shots in crunch time that absolutely killed us down the stretch.  I blame the coaches as this has become a repetitive pattern for him.  There is no reason that he should not be showing signs of developing into a more complete player.  He is a horrible passer, does not box out on defense, and showns no signs of ability to take his man off the dribble.  Pantophlet is better defensively but also is one demensional on offense waiting in the wing to shoot the three.   The problem is when he gets wide open looks he chokes. Down three poinst last night with 8  minutes to go Kadeem gets a a wide open three point shot that D1 players dream off and klanks it. 

I know it sounds like I am ragging on these guys, but I really want these guys to get better.  If we are going to have any chance this year of winning another game they are going to have to wake up and start playing basketball.  This is the job of the high price "upgrade" coaches we have. 

Last edited by CLK (1/18/2013 8:39 am)

1/18/2013 10:08 am  #25

Man, you hit it on the head, the tv coverage was good but you could really see the flaws in our Dukes. Sean was on fire in the 2nd half, the thing I was wondering was, where is our 7 footer to give us a chance to at least have the 5-5 inch Williams a task to shoot over after he kept beating the double team and went clear to the hole.

As for Q, he is finding conference play to be harder than OOC, he needs to learn ball fakes and bounce passes.
 I hope the power forward and transfer are help next year or there will be a lot of discontent on this board next season, also.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera