Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2013 10:17 am  #1

VCU

I watched the SJU - VCU game last night.  VCU has one heck of a team and are extremely quick.  They pressed St. Joe the entire game.  If we struggled with the UMass press, we are going to make more turnovers than Pillsbury against VCU.  Also, the ball movement and execution they have on offense is the textbook definition of a well coached team.  Every player can pass, shoot, and take their man off the dribble and do it within the flow of the game as a team.  About the only thing I can say about this game is that I hope each of our players lean something about what it is going to take to be good team in this league.

1/18/2013 10:36 am  #2

Re: VCU

VCU fan here, coming up with some of my friends to watch the game.  I hope it's not quite as thrilling as that St. Joe's game - not sure I can take that kind of emotional and physical stress twice in one week.  I'm wondering, is there a bar or restaurant with alcohol near the CONSOL Center where we can whet our whistles pregame?  Thanks - looking forward to the trip.  I'm trying to make as many as I can this year for our inaugural A-10 season to introduce you guys to VCU!

1/18/2013 10:50 am  #3

umwram wrote:

VCU fan here, coming up with some of my friends to watch the game.  I hope it's not quite as thrilling as that St. Joe's game - not sure I can take that kind of emotional and physical stress twice in one week.  I'm wondering, is there a bar or restaurant with alcohol near the CONSOL Center where we can whet our whistles pregame?  Thanks - looking forward to the trip.  I'm trying to make as many as I can this year for our inaugural A-10 season to introduce you guys to VCU!

The nice thing about Pittsburgh is that you're never far from a watering hole. There are quite a few in the area. Souper Bowl (Bar), Cafe 5th (Bar/Restaurant), Milano's (Pizza/Bar) and Shale's (Dive/Duquesne Institution) are all within a block of the arena on 5th. There is a TGI Friday's in the arena, but who the heck wants to drive 250 miles and go to a TGI Friday's. Red Ring is a Bar on Campus about a block up the hill and Tailgater's is a bar in Washington Plaza on Centre.

If you're really feeling adventurous, Carson St (bar district)  is about a 20  minute walk from the arena through the Armstrong Tunnel and over the 10th Street Bridge.

Last edited by steve19981 (1/18/2013 10:50 am)

1/18/2013 3:42 pm  #4

CLK wrote:

I watched the SJU - VCU game last night.  VCU has one heck of a team and are extremely quick.  They pressed St. Joe the entire game.  If we struggled with the UMass press, we are going to make more turnovers than Pillsbury against VCU.  Also, the ball movement and execution they have on offense is the textbook definition of a well coached team.  Every player can pass, shoot, and take their man off the dribble and do it within the flow of the game as a team.  About the only thing I can say about this game is that I hope each of our players lean something about what it is going to take to be good team in this league.

I saw VCU earlier in the season and I would say exactly the same thing about their pressure.  They will press you right out of the locker room; and they have the depth to keep the pressure on with very little if any drop-off when they go to the bench.  UMass pressure was not that intense; we just didn't handle it well.  Hopefully we learned a lot in a short amount of time. 

1/18/2013 5:11 pm  #5

steve19981 wrote:

If you're really feeling adventurous, Carson St (bar district)  is about a 20  minute walk from the arena through the Armstrong Tunnel and over the 10th Street Bridge.

I would assume that you won't be leaving until Sunday. If so, Saturday night on Carson St. is a must. It's 20 blocks of bars, clubs, and restaurants, located between S. 10th St., and S. 29th. This area functions much like Shockoe Bottom does in Richmond, but is maybe a bit more fratboyish in nature.

1/18/2013 8:38 pm  #6

I've seen VCU on TV twice this year. Might be the best team I've ever seen in this conference, and I've been here since the first year of the Eastern Athletic Association.

1/18/2013 10:42 pm  #7

ElDuque wrote:

I've seen VCU on TV twice this year. Might be the best team I've ever seen in this conference, and I've been here since the first year of the Eastern Athletic Association.

Wow, that's saying a lot, since UMass spent nearly an entire year ranked #1 in the country in 1996, and obliterated a Georgetown team led by Allen Iverson in the regional final that year.

1/19/2013 8:39 am  #9

Great opportunity for the Dukes against VCU . Im sure Coach Ferry would prefer the national spotlight vs. games against the Fordhams RI GW.Basically the Dukes have nothing to lose. Remember REs first year vs. X ranked 9th. Go Dukes

1/19/2013 9:49 am  #10

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Wow, that's saying a lot, since UMass spent nearly an entire year ranked #1 in the country in 1996, and obliterated a Georgetown team led by Allen Iverson in the regional final that year.

That 50 point beating Camby & freinds gave us at Palumbo still stings.

I don't hold out much hope for tonight's game but I'll be there rooting for an upset.

1/19/2013 9:56 am  #11

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I have also vacated that season. :o)

If you take out the guys whose eligibility would be taken away because they had agents, and the guys who weren't attending classes, you're talking about a walk-on and a couple of cheerleaders. VCU is legit.

1/19/2013 9:59 am  #12

BTW, I hope Abele gets some court time WITH Marhold and/or Datt on the court at the same time. First of all, the NAIA Division II-sized lineup we like to place will get smoked like a forgotten hot dog on a turbo-charged grill; second of all, the fact that Martins sits while Pantophlet and Jerry Jones flounder is just absurd; and finally, when you've lost what, five in a row, TRY SOMETHING THAT MIGHT WORK.

OK, enough yelling for today.

1/19/2013 10:36 am  #13

VBC wrote:

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I don't hold out much hope for tonight's game but I'll be there rooting for an upset.

I remember them putting a whipping on Pitt during that same time.

1/19/2013 12:48 pm  #14

duq81 wrote:

VBC wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I remember them putting a whipping on Pitt during that same time.

i was at the Umass 50 point blow out, only 50 because Cal had third stringers in before halftime, this was the only game of many hundreds I went to over the years that I ever left at halftime.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/19/2013 5:40 pm  #15

Does not look like there will be a video stream of tonight's game by DU.

1/19/2013 6:49 pm  #16

Check that! DU is streamingthe game.

1/19/2013 6:55 pm  #17

ElDuque wrote:

BTW, I hope Abele gets some court time WITH Marhold and/or Datt on the court at the same time. First of all, the NAIA Division II-sized lineup we like to place will get smoked like a forgotten hot dog on a turbo-charged grill; second of all, the fact that Martins sits while Pantophlet and Jerry Jones flounder is just absurd; and finally, when you've lost what, five in a row, TRY SOMETHING THAT MIGHT WORK.

OK, enough yelling for today.

-------------
Absolutely no reason (barring injury) for Abele to sit out an entire game when the lack of size is compromising any chance of winning. And true, the guys who would lose minutes are not exactly lighting up the scoreboard.

1/19/2013 7:29 pm  #18

UMass retired Camby's #21 this afternoon.  Like I said on another post, GW plays UMass tough at Amherst.  Today, same story, GW won.  Attendance 7,143.

1/19/2013 7:33 pm  #19

I wish this game wasn't streaming so I didn't have to watch it.  We have talked a lot about seeing our team improve.  I'm not seeing any improvement as of late.  In fact, we look worse.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/19/2013 8:53 pm  #20

What an absolute embarrassment. This team couldn't compete. Is there anyone on this site who believes they are going to win another game? What a freakin farce. Jim Ferry might get this team to .500 but it will take another five recruiting clsses. I don't know why I bother staying a fan.

1/19/2013 9:02 pm  #21

rittersdiner wrote:

What an absolute embarrassment. This team couldn't compete. Is there anyone on this site who believes they are going to win another game? What a freakin farce. Jim Ferry might get this team to .500 but it will take another five recruiting clsses. I don't know why I bother staying a fan.

Could not get audio to work so I followed the gametracker from about 11 min mark when VCU had 2nd and third sting in
 , glad I could not hear ray and the jewell to discrib what I could read on the box score and stats.  This A10 is too tough for this years club.
Sadly I will follow but this looks like a DAP/NEE squad.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/19/2013 9:16 pm  #22

rittersdiner wrote:

I have stopped following the men's team.  I check the score periodically via my phone.

This is the progress we have made as a program in the last 7 years.  It doesn't deserve your time, my time or anyone's time here.    

It is just sickening the state of this "program."  

1/19/2013 9:36 pm  #23

The reality is that VCU is a very talented, disciplined, experience team with a great big time coach,  and we are a very untalented, inexperienced, undisiciplined team with an NEC level coach.  The question I ask is can Ferry ever bring us back to being a mediocre team?

Last edited by CLK (1/19/2013 9:37 pm)

1/19/2013 9:44 pm  #24

CLK wrote:

The reality is that VCU is a very talented, disciplined, experience team with a great big time coach,  and we are a very untalented, inexperienced, undisiciplined team with an NEC level coach.  The question I ask is can Ferry ever bring us back to being a mediocre team?

I'm going to say no.  This season is after we have supposedly rededicated the last 7 years to building the program.   

Competitive men's college basketball has bypassed Duquesne University.  

We may be upset tonight.  But I guarantee anyone in that athletic department getting a pay check will sleep well again tonight. 

Last edited by duqkurt (1/19/2013 10:44 pm)

1/19/2013 10:35 pm  #25

duqkurt wrote:

CLK wrote:

I'm going to say no.  This season is after we have supposedly rededicated the last 7 years to building the program.   

Competitive men's college basketball has bypassed Duquesne University.  

We may be upset tonight.  But I guarantee anyone at in that athletic department getting a pay check will sleep well again tonight. 

Ferry should have had some big time recruits in his pocket before he was hired.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera