Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2013 12:36 pm  #1

The Great Regression

We have now lost 6 in a row, 7 of the last 8 and our last victory before Christmas against W. Michigan on 12/19. I do not think there is any question this team has regressed. I am not basing this just on the butt kicking from last night. The loss at ULL, Fordham, SJU, and UMass were all games we were in a position to win. A little more discipline, a little more determination. a little less selfishness, a little more concentration to avoid careless turnovers, a little better coaching. This team needs to regain the will to win.

Last night URI beat SLU on the road, the Bonnies beat Temple on the road, and GW beat UMass on the road. These teams are showing some signs of life. The SLU home game on Wednesday becomes a must win for this team. If URI, a team in much the same situation as the Dukes, can beat SLU on road we have to find a way to win at home.

Last edited by CLK (1/20/2013 12:41 pm)

1/22/2013 10:31 am  #2

Re: The Great Regression

My guess is that Ferry has decided to look to the future, rather than try to win a few extra games this year. He looks as though he has decided which players he expects to fit into his future plans, and is going to force feed them. Those who he doesn't think have a future here, will not play. I know some hate this philosophy, and always want to win games, but I personally have no problem with it. I like to take the long view, and wouldn't care if we didn't win another game this year, if it benefited us in the long run. The goal is to be good enough to earn an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament, nothing less. If Ferry feels that he needs to find out what he has by throwing them in the deep end, I have no problem with it. It's his job that will be on the line if he fails.

1/22/2013 1:15 pm  #3

duq81 wrote:

My guess is that Ferry has decided to look to the future, rather than try to win a few extra games this year. He looks as though he has decided which players he expects to fit into his future plans, and is going to force feed them. Those who he doesn't think have a future here, will not play. I know some hate this philosophy, and always want to win games, but I personally have no problem with it. I like to take the long view, and wouldn't care if we didn't win another game this year, if it benefited us in the long run. The goal is to be good enough to earn an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament, nothing less. If Ferry feels that he needs to find out what he has by throwing them in the deep end, I have no problem with it. It's his job that will be on the line if he fails.

I understand your point DUQ, but in this case he really doesn't have any other options on the bench that would help him win games.  I doubt he would keep a guy on the bench that he felt could help him win a game.  Nobody wants to win a game more than the Coach..

1/22/2013 3:28 pm  #4

I am wondering if he has benched Abele and hopes he will transfer or quit since he is not going to get to the point to really help us.  That would give us one more scholarship.

1/22/2013 3:59 pm  #5

FAM wrote:

I am wondering if he has benched Abele and hopes he will transfer or quit since he is not going to get to the point to really help us.  That would give us one more scholarship.

It really comes down to the style of the opponent.  Abele can contribute more in a slower paced game,  The last two teams UMASS and VCU were more uptempo making it difficult for Abele to have an impact.  You may see him more in slower paced games; possibly St Louis.  The return of Datt has also cut into Abele's playing time.

1/22/2013 10:21 pm  #6

Hope Abele will transfer?

First of all, he's big and strong - and there aren't too many of those out there. Second, he's played well this year. He defends, he doesn't get pushed around, he rebounds and blocks shots. Third, he's a junior, and this is already his second school.

Why even bring stuff like this up? We should be hoping he plays the guy more.

1/23/2013 2:02 pm  #7

While I do not believe that Abele is an every game player, I would hope that he can be utilized by the staff to his and our best advantage this year and next. You can't expect this kid to transfer again.

1/23/2013 4:32 pm  #8

I DO HOPE he plays more, but I can hope all I want.  Look at the last three games.  He hasn't played more.  

1/23/2013 5:01 pm  #9

You are right. He may well not fit into Ferry's long-term plans here but I do believe he can be helpful as a spot player and likely only that. I'll be in section B to see what happens tonight.

1/23/2013 5:38 pm  #10

I certainly like the "Big 3" freshmen, and I liked the way the team played defense early in the year. I bang my head against the wall over the inconsistency of Sean Johnson, and Ferry's insistence on playing Marhold or even Pantophlet in the post instead of Abele.

The Dukes are certainly overdue for a good game. Tonight would be nice.

Board footera