Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2013 1:36 pm  #1

St Louis

St Louis could be coming to town like a wounded animal after losing to at HOME to Rhode Island 82-80 as a 15 point favorite. Dukes better not take them lightly or they might just get bit in this MUST WIN GAME! 
Lets go Dukes!

Last edited by Jackson40 (1/21/2013 1:37 pm)

1/21/2013 2:21 pm  #2

Re: St Louis

Dukes cannot take anyone lightly, hope the get a needed W

A diehard fan since 1961

1/21/2013 6:14 pm  #3

Jackson40 wrote:

St Louis could be coming to town like a wounded animal after losing to at HOME to Rhode Island 82-80 as a 15 point favorite. Dukes better not take them lightly or they might just get bit in this MUST WIN GAME! 
Lets go Dukes!

I doubt they come in like a wounded animal.  I'd venture more hungry given the way SLU this year...

However, if Hurley could outcoach Crews that bad to get URI a road win, it may give us a shot if SLU overlooks us too...

1/21/2013 8:38 pm  #4

Would guess that Jackson's wounded animal metaphor was about a team that will be p.o.'d about being upset and will be all fired up. They will NOT take this game lightly after blowing one they were expected to cruise through. 

They will hope to destroy their lightly regarded foe.

1/21/2013 9:11 pm  #5

Wounded animals are desparate.

St. Louis is good. Not desparate. They'll play well and it will take a good effort for us to stay within 15. Here's hoping the young guys continue to improve together. If that happens and Sean Johnson has a good game, we'll at least provide some opposition.

1/22/2013 8:18 pm  #6

This is a Majerus coached team. Defense Defense Defense. Both Coach Howland & Dixon learned under the master. This could be a great learning tool for the players & more importantly the coaching staff.(Not a cheap shot) This team gets after it. If the dukes get 50 great job! Go Dukes!

1/23/2013 9:44 am  #7

Always thought Majerus was one of the best ever! Always great defense which is truly what matters most. Hope to see defense like that here some day soon!

1/23/2013 8:51 pm  #8

Just an absolutely horrible coaching job the last 6 minutes of the game.  Just terrible freaking terrible.  Tied at the 6 minute mark and Ferry goes small ball the rest of the way.

Last edited by CLK (1/23/2013 8:54 pm)

1/23/2013 9:01 pm  #9

I watched the women's game on the web.   I'm surprised that Ferry blew the game, I thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.   Personally, I think it would be hysterical if they went 0-16 in the A10.   I think this program will be tremendous if Ferry can pull off an 0-16 season.  

I hope Ray Goss comes back next year, because I won't be tuning in or listening to him again this year.

1/23/2013 10:51 pm  #10

Dukes really played hard in this game.  It definitely hurt that Marhold was held out.  The young guys imploded at the end of the game.  Ferry is grooming this team for the future, he knows this year is a wash.  He as much as said so at the begining of the year, if anyone was listening.  But will concede that it's hard to pay those extra dollars for tickets when they keep losing.  One of the reasons I did not get season tickets this year is because I can cherry pick during this learning curve, that and parking is no longer included.  But I will say that tonight the Dukes played as hard as I have ever seen them (except in the final fiasco minutes).  If they defended against Bobby Mo like they did tonight, they would have won that game.

1/23/2013 10:56 pm  #11

Why didn't Marhold play?

1/23/2013 11:21 pm  #12

On the positive side I think the world of the pep band & the Director. A+ .(2) The cheerleaders & Dance team also do a nice job. A-.

1/24/2013 7:50 am  #13

Coach Ferry said in his post-game interview that Marhold was held out due to "Senior leadership issues".  One can only imagine what might have occurred in the locker room, practice, etc. in light of the current losing streak.  We win that game last night if we don't throw 10+ errant passes and if we can shoot free throws.  From my perspective, it looked like for 36 minutes of the game, we were playing a "VCU" intensity defense.  I believe that tougher competion like this will make us better in the long run.  Tough journey to arrive there, however.

1/24/2013 8:46 am  #14

I could only listen and follow on game tracker , but I wondered in the last 4 min why Sean or Jerry Jones didn't handle the ball more, I think Coulter is coming along but at the end of games careless passes and quick shots from he and Q are the norm, and we lose.

WTF with Marhold? Jerry stepped up but with as few successes this team will have why do this at home, Dre
has played well considering this style is not his game.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/24/2013 10:07 am  #15

Am I the only one who felt more comfortable with Binney run the offense?  I thought he did a great job at the end of the 1st half.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/24/2013 12:18 pm  #16

Binney has shown flashes, hopefully more pt is ahead.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/24/2013 12:23 pm  #17

Phildog wrote:

I could only listen and follow on game tracker , but I wondered in the last 4 min why Sean or Jerry Jones didn't handle the ball more, I think Coulter is coming along but at the end of games careless passes and quick shots from he and Q are the norm, and we lose.

WTF with Marhold? Jerry stepped up but with as few successes this team will have why do this at home, Dre

I watched the game and have to say again that Ferry did a poor job of game day coaching.  Yes we missed a ton of free throws, yes we had very sloppy turnovers but we were tied at the 6 minute mark with the game within reach.  What does Ferry do he takes out Abele, Johnson and Jerry and goes small with Pantophlet at the 5 and the wheels comes off.  By the time Jones get back in at approx the 3 minute mark we are down by eight.  Abele I thought played great altering a lot of shots and clogging the middle.  When we went to "small ball" Mitchel just strolled the lane for easy layups that were not there all night.  Moreover playing small ball without Jones in that stretch we just could not get a rebound.  You are right about Winters and Colter hoisting treys.  No structure offense in crunch time.  How many times have we seen this ending before.  Ferry is quick to throw his players under the bus at his press conference, he should bench himself for a game and give one of his assistants a shot.

Last edited by CLK (1/24/2013 12:25 pm)

1/24/2013 4:53 pm  #18

I thought Abele was perfectly suited for this game because it was not fast paced like VCU and St. Louis was big. Other than the WVU game, this was his best effort. So I was surprised when he did not get back in for the last four minutes or so. When he was there, he altered some of their shots. When he was out, they had free access to the basket. That said, I'm not sure that's why we lost the game. We continue to shoot free throws poorly and we continue to make too many unforced turnovers. Coulter plays a lot of minutes and he is only a freshman; perhaps too much is on his shoulders. Finally I was surprised that St. Louis was not a better team. They shot poorly (other than free throws) and that kept us in the game.

1/24/2013 5:05 pm  #19

CLK wrote:

Phildog wrote:

I watched the game and have to say again that Ferry did a poor job of game day coaching.  Yes we missed a ton of free throws, yes we had very sloppy turnovers but we were tied at the 6 minute mark with the game within reach.  What does Ferry do he takes out Abele, Johnson and Jerry and goes small with Pantophlet at the 5 and the wheels comes off.  By the time Jones get back in at approx the 3 minute mark we are down by eight.  Abele I thought played great altering a lot of shots and clogging the middle.  When we went to "small ball" Mitchel just strolled the lane for easy layups that were not there all night.  Moreover playing small ball without Jones in that stretch we just could not get a rebound.  You are right about Winters and Colter hoisting treys.  No structure offense in crunch time.  How many times have we seen this ending before.  Ferry is quick to throw his players under the bus at his press conference, he should bench himself for a game and give one of his assistants a shot.

Of course this is not a fair assessment of the coaching.  The coach was substituting for Offense/Defense with Sean down the stretch to keep him on the floor as much as possible on offense.  Martins also returned down the stretch.  By going small it  kept the middle open, for Sean and DC to get to the hoop, and they got there a lot even in the last several minutes of the game, the shots just rolled in and out many times, not a coaching issue.  Really the offensive rebound after a missed drive attempt by Mitchell was really the killer in this game.  Nobody boxed out Evans, who killed us last year, and we did a decent job on most of the game.  Let's not forget that essentially the same STL team last year made us look foolish and totally unprepared for the ENTIRE GAME last year!.  It was a complete embarrassment.  This team was prepared for St L last night and played them tough the entire night.

1/24/2013 6:16 pm  #20

levon1975 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Of course this is not a fair assessment of the coaching.  The coach was substituting for Offense/Defense with Sean down the stretch to keep him on the floor as much as possible on offense.  Martins also returned down the stretch.  By going small it  kept the middle open, for Sean and DC to get to the hoop, and they got there a lot even in the last several minutes of the game, the shots just rolled in and out many times, not a coaching issue.  Really the offensive rebound after a missed drive attempt by Mitchell was really the killer in this game.  Nobody boxed out Evans, who killed us last year, and we did a decent job on most of the game.  Let's not forget that essentially the same STL team last year made us look foolish and totally unprepared for the ENTIRE GAME last year!.  It was a complete embarrassment.  This team was prepared for St L last night and played them tough the entire night.

Not sure of where you came up with Abele coming back in (of course I turned off the video fee with 45 seconds left when the game was out of reach).  All I can say politely to your comment on my fairness is we must have been watching two different games. To me the game was lost when he went small ball at the 6 minute mark and opened the lanes for Mtchell & Jett for easy lay ups, and we could not rebound to save ourselves.  The ending is always the same like a bad movie with the same mistakes made every game.  The reason this game was close and not a repeat of last year's blow out is because SLU had a horrible shooting night going 3-21 shooting the trey 14% (many wide open).   If you think Ferry is a doing a good job in his game day coaching good for you.  I don't see it. 

1/24/2013 7:23 pm  #21

Couple of points.  Couldn't agree more about the pep band-they are outstanding!   The cheerleaders are good, but they can't throw for crap and tend to freebie friends a lot, but I can live with that.  But to give the Dance team an A- is way wrong and calling for a dust up.  The girls are just the bomb, an opinion from not only an old guy like myself, but is also the same opinion of my young son.  The girls did a photo op with some of the halftime junior players, and my boy was livid that he went to the concession stand and missed it.  That was several games ago and he's still Complaining.  Concerning the play of the Dukes so far:  Love Abele, but you need to pick your spots with him.  Initially, he will alter shots, but teams adapt when they realize he is slow, has terrible hands, and tires easily, which exposes his faults.  He needs to just punch the ball to the perimeter for others to get the rebound.  He is definitely a team player, and should see time against bigger and slower teams.  Coulter is a really good guard, he just gets tired from carrying the load.  He tends to miss his 3's in the second half when he wears down.  Jerry Jones reminded me of BJ last night with his cuts.  If he gets hot on the outside and combines the backdoor cuts, he could really blossem.  Kaddem plays good defense, but if he not comfortable about squaring up to the basket, he disappers.  Sean plays really hard, and on a better team, would be a better player.  My take, anyhow.

1/25/2013 10:59 am  #22

Dance Team:    A+

Pep Band:  A +

Cheerleaders:  B +  (Kind of a motley crew)

1/25/2013 12:19 pm  #23

CLK, I have not been following the game day coaching very closely, so I am not clear on how well Coach Ferry is doing with improving performance as the season progresses. We all know and understand that he needs time to build his program. But it is prettty clear that your assessment so far is quite different from a number of other posters here. I took note of Levon's comment that your assessment of Ferry's coaching "is not a fair assessment" of his coaching. He perceives the coaching differently than you and that's OK. However, I also took note of Levon's comment that "essentially the same STL team last year made us look foolish and totally unprepared for the ENTIRE GAME last year!". He goes on to say that, "This team was prepared for St L last night and played them tough the entire night".
Obviously, Levon is comparing Ferry's coaching with Ron Everhart's coaching. I do not want to instigate another thread about Ron's firing. Even those of us who have supported Ron haved moved on. However, as I have stated a number of times, I don't know why it continues to be necessary to build Coach Ferry up by tearing Ron Everhart down. Anybody who follows basketball, especially college basketball, knows it takes 2 or 3 years to make a legitimate judgement about the quality of coaches, their strengths and weaknesses, etc. Yet there continue to be a number of posters here who are insistent that Ferry is a much better coach than Ron. Although that is irrelevant, it is much too soon to declare Coach Ferry as the next coming of John Wooten compared to Ron. I take note of the fact that LIU Brooklyn is 9-10 and 4-3 in conference this year so far. The team I assume is mostly what Coach Ferry left behind. Does this record mean that Coach Ferry's program at LIU has "plateaued" after 2 years of winning, preceded by what - 8 years of losing or mediocre performance? Nobody can really say that, but the jury is still out and will be for several years as to whether or not Coach Ferry is a better coach than Ron Everhart and that he was a good hire. This is not a condemnation of Ferry - just a realistic opinion that much more time is needed to make that judgement.

1/25/2013 1:48 pm  #24

Westender wrote:

CLK, I have not been following the game day coaching very closely, so I am not clear on how well Coach Ferry is doing with improving performance as the season progresses. We all know and understand that he needs time to build his program. But it is prettty clear that your assessment so far is quite different from a number of other posters here. I took note of Levon's comment that your assessment of Ferry's coaching "is not a fair assessment" of his coaching. He perceives the coaching differently than you and that's OK. However, I also took note of Levon's comment that "essentially the same STL team last year made us look foolish and totally unprepared for the ENTIRE GAME last year!". He goes on to say that, "This team was prepared for St L last night and played them tough the entire night".
Obviously, Levon is comparing Ferry's coaching with Ron Everhart's coaching. I do not want to instigate another thread about Ron's firing. Even those of us who have supported Ron haved moved on. However, as I have stated a number of times, I don't know why it continues to be necessary to build Coach Ferry up by tearing Ron Everhart down. Anybody who follows basketball, especially college basketball, knows it takes 2 or 3 years to make a legitimate judgement about the quality of coaches, their strengths and weaknesses, etc. Yet there continue to be a number of posters here who are insistent that Ferry is a much better coach than Ron. Although that is irrelevant, it is much too soon to declare Coach Ferry as the next coming of John Wooten compared to Ron. I take note of the fact that LIU Brooklyn is 9-10 and 4-3 in conference this year so far. The team I assume is mostly what Coach Ferry left behind. Does this record mean that Coach Ferry's program at LIU has "plateaued" after 2 years of winning, preceded by what - 8 years of losing or mediocre performance? Nobody can really say that, but the jury is still out and will be for several years as to whether or not Coach Ferry is a better coach than Ron Everhart and that he was a good hire. This is not a condemnation of Ferry - just a realistic opinion that much more time is needed to make that judgement.

A fair assessment Westender.  I did not mean to tear RE down in defending Coach Ferry.  Nobody wanted to see him succeed more than me.  I think a few things played into some of the horrible late season performances last year.  StL was, and is, a very methodical half-court team that makes you play defense for the entire shot clock.  I don't think its a secret; this wasn't our forte' last year.  In additon, I think the team quit on Ron late in the season, due to the transfer issues that we all know about, and a general lack of leadership on the floor. 

Coach Ferry's teams should play much better against this type of methodical team; I guess the question will be whether he can also attract enough talent to deal with the more athletic teams, such as VCU,  I just want to see him get a fair chance, to build his program at Duquesne before we start tearing him down.
Just a note on LIU-Brooklyn, their record may be a bit deceiving because they started the season with their top three players suspended due to a fight in the off-season.  They should still be a factor in the NEC before its over.

1/25/2013 1:51 pm  #25

Westender wrote:

Part of the problem here. is that a few posters who are angry about what happened to RE are constantly ripping Ferry to shreds. I agree that it's wrong to try to build Ferry up by ripping Ron, but it's also wrong to tolerate no criticism of RE, but to constantly knock Ferry. Some are allowing their dislike of Amodio to color their opinion of Ferry. Ferry stepped into a tough situation, and he deserves a chance set up the program the way he wants before we come to the decision that he's a horrible coach.

Board footera