Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2016 5:56 pm  #1

Question for Coach Burt

Coach Burt, when you check in, now that the season is over what did you think of the rule changes to the game?

I really liked the quarters and the elimination of the 1 and 1. Game didn't turn into a foul shooting competition.  Especially when a team hit 7 fouls halfway through a half. 

Not sure I totally like advancing the ball on the timeout at the end of the game.  It makes coaches think twice about using timeouts.   And I'm not sure I like that.  But it did help in the UMass game.

4/19/2016 4:01 pm  #2

Re: Question for Coach Burt

Thanks for the question! 

Love the rule changes. Advancing the ball had some impact in our games, but nothing that gave me a strong opinion either way. The four quarters and resetting the fouls at the beginning of each quarter was a very good addition to our game. I'd like to see us move to a 24 second shot clock, but I believe we are a few years from that happening. 

4/25/2016 3:03 pm  #3

I thought the ten minute quarters were great.  I watched a tape of a game from two years ago and the twenty minute halves seemed to drag on forever.  Five fouls a quarter is just right.  The two shots after the fifth foul puts a real premium on teams being able to make their foul shots.  A couple of highly ranked teams lost in the NCAA's because they couldn't hit their foul shots.   I also like teams being able to take the ball out at half court at the end of the game.  It adds to the strategy.

5/10/2016 1:05 pm  #4

Just discovered this site after all these years!  Regarding 2016-2017- If Judith is our best post, and with Kadri-Ann having a super freshman year, I have to believe the front line will be Lass, Sole and Szamosi, which leaves the 2 guards.  Nina Aho and the 5'10 gal from Canada (Halle?) appear to have the athleticism we've not had at that position.  On paper, does either have a chance to compete for the starting line-up?

5/10/2016 5:11 pm  #5

Chassidy started several games last year -  I would think she would DEFINITELY be in the mix for the playing time -  Kadri Ann has been mentioned as a guard at some point in the future (maybe next year)

5/11/2016 1:09 pm  #6

Moving from HS to the college level last year revealed 2 critical skill sets Chassidy needs to develop (at least in my opinion) to compete for a starting position: 1) Passing the ball into the post.  With taller players guarding her, she found herself unable to see our posts calling for the ball, but many guards her size are able to find a way- either with an extra dribble or bounce pass (not over) but around the player defending her. 5'5 Vanessa Able had no problems doing this. 2) Chassidy must reduce her excessive (east-west) dribbling- which is time consuming and develop more north-south dribble penetration.  To be fair, she is now facing more athletic players than she did in HS so there's an adjustment period.  I want Chassidy to succeed, but this is the reality.

5/14/2016 12:25 pm  #7

Thanks to Coach Burt for the response. 

I have no doubt that Chassidy will grow into the role of starting point guard.  And if there is competition for that role all the better.

Last edited by duqkurt (5/14/2016 12:26 pm)

5/15/2016 6:00 pm  #8

Chassidy had the opportunity to "learn under" April Robinson -  arguably the BEST Point Guard in the Program's history.  A few times throughout the year she was referred to as "April Robinson's protege"  In addition if there is/was a problem with her "directional dribbling" - I'm sure the coaching staff will correct it.

Still she made the ALL ROOKIE TEAM - which was voted on by the coaches -  I'm presuming that Coach Burt was NOT allowed to vote for her -  so looks like the OTHER Coaches in the A-10 seemed to think she was doing a pretty good job at something!!

5/15/2016 6:28 pm  #9

Al, what I saw was a player who played "older" when given the opportunity. Smart, good ball handler, good shooter, tenacious defender. Tough for her size. She played important minutes vs. UConn, and against one of the best teams and group of players in history played well.

Room to grow and improve? Absolutely. But if she is our starting PG this season we'll be good. And she will too.

5/16/2016 5:06 am  #10

E.D.  I'm ON Chassidy's side -  Thought the two items mentioned by Sperlman - were or should not be issues.  Add ONE MORE thing that she brings to the team - EXCEPTIONAL FREE THROW SHOOTER - She was near 90% in High School (with a TON of attempts) - And other than one game where she was 0-2 this year - she was really solid-  This is a Player who probably has the ball in her hands a lot at the crucial moments in close games.

5/16/2016 1:08 pm  #11

SkepticAl wrote:

E.D.  I'm ON Chassidy's side -  Thought the two items mentioned by Sperlman - were or should not be issues.  Add ONE MORE thing that she brings to the team - EXCEPTIONAL FREE THROW SHOOTER - She was near 90% in High School (with a TON of attempts) - And other than one game where she was 0-2 this year - she was really solid-  This is a Player who probably has the ball in her hands a lot at the crucial moments in close games.

I got that loud & clear. Was expressing my agreement while trying not to be redundant.

5/19/2016 9:57 am  #12

I am on Chassidy's side as well, I saw nothing that indicated she couldn't grow into the role of starting point guard.   But I will be interested in the new recuits as well.   I have no doubt, Coach Burt will make the correction decision. 

Board footera