Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2013 10:14 pm  #1

Scenarios

Is it likely that any other scenario would've produced more wins this season?  What about long term?

1) RE stays. McConnell stays.  RE recruits join the team.
2) RE stays.  McConnell leaves. RE adds intended recruits.
3) RE leaves. ferry joins.  McConnell stays.  Ferry recruits join.

1/28/2013 12:44 am  #2

Re: Scenarios

I think your first scenario would have produced more wins this year. Long term...? Who knows, too many sttroies about supposed friction behind the ecenes to project how things would have played out the next couple years if scenario #1 had happened.

1/28/2013 8:52 am  #3

The answer may depend on who you listen to regarding the relationship between McConnell and Everhart. If it truly deteriorated, then scenario #1 being successful would depend on how well the relationship could have been mended. Maybe without Talley and Hall (who also would have had to go), things work out and Sean Johnson, Willie Moore and Jerry Jones, playing a more natural guard position, would have given us a solid backcourt. The other element would have been how RE worked Donovan Jack, who he saw as a prized recruit, into the lineup. I could envision Marhold, Datt (when healthy) and Jack at the 5-4-3, respectively. Of course Abele would have been nailed to the bench. Plus you don't know what other players would have been added to the mix.

Scenario #2 still results in a step back. Would depend on who replaces McConnell at the point.

Scenario #3 would have been interesting. First, because McConnell might not have been an ideal fit for Ferry's system. Second, because Colter brings a different dimension (smaller, quicker, like Talley) that migh have given McConnell a deja vu feeling. Third, a change in coach (unless you bring in a major cheater like Calipari) never results in instant winning, which would have added to McConnell's happiness. He clearly wanted to be on a big-time program.

In my mind, while you have started an interesting thread and it will make for a good discussion, I think it's possible that in scenarios 1 and 3 that you still end up with an unhappy player leading your program, and an unhealthy situation in the program.

As much as I appreciate what he accomplished here and as unhappy as I initially was that he left, at this point I think it's in Duquesne's best interests.

1/28/2013 10:28 am  #4

Scenario one would get the best results. If the new kids show promise, the team is not great, but probably still around .500. , RE might have gotten a partial extension, maybe 2 extra years. This would have kept him here through the new kids' junior year. If the team wasn't getting it done by then, I think all but his most ardent supporters would have been ok with him getting the boot. If the new kids stunk, the team would be bad, and that would be it for Ron.
Scenario two would have likely resulted in a similar season to the one we're having, with Ron being fired at the end of the year. Amodio probably could have saved himself some grief by choosing this scenario, as firing Ron after a losing season would have been much easier to justify.

1/28/2013 11:21 am  #5

For this year only, I would put my money on RE regardless of the scenario.  He proved that he could coax more wins out of a poor situation than most coaches. I think that is the most frustrating part of this year, falling back so far.  But again, for this year and looking at the big picture, what is the difference for the program between 9 wins or 12 wins or 15 wins?  A one day trip to Brooklyn?  Better feelings as fans about the state of the program?  Attract better recruits (highly doubtful)?  Based upon the talent level, the schedule OOC and in the A-10, I don't think that anyone thought we would compete in the upper half of the league regardless of the coaching, transfer or recruiting scenarios. The bigger question to me is where will we be in next year, the following year, etc.  And as JF has been saying on the last couple of post game shows, it's on him to recruit and bring in better talent.

1/28/2013 11:44 am  #6

Only one scenario exists, so why bother dealing things that can never happen.

1/28/2013 1:20 pm  #7

Actually, Levon, that scenario was not one of the three offered for discussion. What I like about the topic so far is that no one in the know on either side has chimed in yet, so we can kick this around intellectually and not emotionally.

1/28/2013 2:43 pm  #8

I wasn't referring to any of the options offered, because they serve no purpose.  There is only one reality!

1/28/2013 4:33 pm  #9

I think the comment that what is the difference between 9 wins or 12 wins (I would have loved 15) is a good one.  Irrespective of RE being fired, as I have moved on to the current scenario, part of me is wondering if Coach Ferry is looking at this year as one to get through to move on or if he really believes he can win some games...not want to win some games, but can he win some games.  If he does not think he will win, then my question is this:  

Why not provide even more playing time to the very young under classmen than he already is?  Maybe he is doing that, I don't know.  Maybe some people believe that is unkind to Sean and one or two others.  I can tell you, I am tired of going to games and watching them lose, thinking about next year.  I Often believe we are a mirror of the Pittsburgh Pirates!

1/28/2013 5:00 pm  #10

levon1975 wrote:

I wasn't referring to any of the options offered, because they serve no purpose.  There is only one reality!

Don't be such a kill joy. These types of topics aren't for everyone, but some of us enjoy them. We're having a tough season, and it gets old having to moan and groan after losses. If a topic bores you, move on to the next one, or better yet, start one that you find interesting.

1/28/2013 10:06 pm  #11

It seems as though the underclass men are getting enough playing time for their development.  A strong finish to the season, a few nice wins, might have a positive effect on recruiting this spring. When your young players are getting as much floor time as these kids are getting, why not try to salvage a few wins by putting your best lineups out there.

I don't see any benefit from taking minutes away from the likes of SJ, Marhold and Jerry - there is more to win for than the A-10 Tourney.

1/29/2013 4:19 pm  #12

Let's see, Joy-Nonsense-Joy-Nonsense.  I think I'll stick with nonsense, but if it brings anyone joy, run with it!

Board footera