Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2016 6:30 pm  #1

A-10 women's basketball tournament to be held in Richmond in 2017&2018

The A-10 will hold its basketball tournament at the Richmond Coliseum in 2017 and 2018.  It will also change its format to provide byes to only the top 2 finishers and have six on-campus site first round games involving teams 3 through 14 with the higher seed getting to play on its home court.  Having attended the women's A-10 tournament in Richmond for 2025 and 2016, I am somewhat disappointed in the A-10's decision to hold the tournament in this venue, the Coliseum.  It is very dated and tomb-like structure with little or no atmosphere.  So what's not to like?    

I was told by a friend who lives in Richmond that the Coliseum is rarely used: tractor & truck pulls, the Ice Capades, some children's shows, occasional rock and/or hippy-hop concerts, and the Annual Jehovah Witness Convention.  The arena football franchise suspended play for 2016 along with league.  This place is desperate for any event  and probably made an attractive financial offer to the  A-10 to host the tournament.   The A-10 tournament central hotel used for the last two seasons is only a block or two walk from the Coliseum but is is very expensive.

I like the change of the format for the first round where the higher seeded teams finishing 3 through 14 will play at home.  The Dukes will have to play very well to secure one of the two first round byes.  Should the Dukes end up in a three-way tie for first place like they did this past season, it's possible that they may be the one team bolding the bag by not earning a bye. 

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/052416aab.html

Last edited by godukes1970 (5/24/2016 8:52 pm)

5/25/2016 6:01 pm  #2

Re: A-10 women's basketball tournament to be held in Richmond in 2017&2018

Where else that isn't a home court (since the A-10 thankfully isn't putting an entire tournament at a home site like Hagan/Cintas/Liacouras anymore!) that doesn't already have a men's or other women's tourney already signed out there makes better sense?  It's better to me than playing in the Show Place Arena in Baltimore (at the time typically used for equestrian and rodeo), UMass-Lowell's hockey arena (practically nobody wanted to go to Massachusetts in early March with both trip length and weather), or any other places I can recall the A-10 trying outside of home sites.  Regarding the atmosphere, it's pretty much been the way it was last year wherever the A-10 women's tournament has been unless it's been on a home floor for the later rounds.  If VCU and Richmond can both advance far, I can see a better atmosphere also than what we've had.

If you see anything better as an option, I'd love to read it.  Unfortunately, I don't think there are any.

5/25/2016 6:38 pm  #3

rogabee wrote:

Where else that isn't a home court (since the A-10 thankfully isn't putting an entire tournament at a home site like Hagan/Cintas/Liacouras anymore!) that doesn't already have a men's or other women's tourney already signed out there makes better sense?  It's better to me than playing in the Show Place Arena in Baltimore (at the time typically used for equestrian and rodeo), UMass-Lowell's hockey arena (practically nobody wanted to go to Massachusetts in early March with both trip length and weather), or any other places I can recall the A-10 trying outside of home sites.  Regarding the atmosphere, it's pretty much been the way it was last year wherever the A-10 women's tournament has been unless it's been on a home floor for the later rounds.  If VCU and Richmond can both advance far, I can see a better atmosphere also than what we've had.

If you see anything better as an option, I'd love to read it.  Unfortunately, I don't think there are any.

It seems to me that the A-10 women's tournament needs no more than 4,000-4,500 seating capacity to accommodate the anticipated attendance at any session including the championship game.  Perhaps there's another college (not an A-10 member) arena with that capacity or slightly larger which could serve as a truly neutral court.  If that college has its facilities available for the A-10 tournament, it might be interested in hosting the tournament to make some money and get some media attention as well.  To my knowledge there's no requirement that women's basketball tournament can only be held at a public arena or at the basketball arena of one of the A-10 teams.

As far as public arenas are concerned, I notice you didn't mention the use of the Consol for the women's A-10 facility.  It is a modern and welcoming facility located in a city which is centrally located to members of the A-10 -- at least more so than Richmond which is around 315 miles from Pittsburgh.  In all fairness the location of the tournament should be rotated so as not to geographically favor several A-10 teams for four successive years; namely, Richmond, VCU, and GW and Davidson to a certain extent.  Pittsburgh would certainly be far more convenient to the Dukes, Dayton, St. Louis, and the Bonnies.  Frankly this is not an impossible task as you present it.  My guess is that there wasn't much of an in-depth search effort by the A-10.  Those in charge were willing to settle for the Richmond Coliseum because the A-10 could get a favorable financial deal and it was administratively convenient.

I'll most likely go to the women's tournament for 2017 and  2018, but not with an overwhelming enthusiasm for the venue selected by the A-10.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (6/05/2016 5:55 pm)

5/25/2016 8:39 pm  #4

I agree with you that a lot of the decision was likely financial.  I'm just not seeing a clear better alternative regardless.  I only could find relative equals.

Personally, I think the CEC would be way too big of a venue for the event.  Like you said, you only need 4k-5k seats, and I think you'd be hearing crickets in the spacious CEC.  Obviously Pittsburgh would be great for the Dukes, but there's no good spot in Pittsburgh for my liking.  Plus Duquesne was already thrown a bone with the men's tourney for a year which was likely taken into account.

I'm not big on going to other campuses either.  Perhaps if it was in the footprint of the A10 I could see it, but I can't imagine folks wanting to go to a game at a spot like a Drexel, Georgetown, or Wright State any more than the Richmond Coliseum or the environment being any better at those spots, especially with the inner-city rivalries.  With the current state of wbb, I can't imagine folks going too far out of the A-10's footprint to a place like Buffalo or Norfolk, and Youngstown is an underwhelming city for a tourney.

What does that leave?  NYC (will be overshadowed by men's tournies), other spots in Philly (underwhelming or too big for me), Providence (Dunkin Donuts Center is too big for me, everything else is questionable imo), Columbus (Nationwide and Value City too big for me, everything else also underwhelming), Boston (Matthews Arena isn't any better to me, and TD Garden's too big), Atlantic City (slightly better venue but not quite in anyone's region), Cincy (Cincy Gardens I guess would work with US Bank and Fifth Third both too big for me, though it favors Dayton and is a pain to get to for the rest of the A10), Erie (Erie Insurance Arena is probably slightly better but more outside the footprint, and I'd prefer Richmond over Erie as cities). 

5/26/2016 4:54 pm  #5

Here are some neutral site suggestions:
Giant Center, Hershey, PA seats 10,500 opened in 2002
Hersheypark Arena, Hershey, PA seats 7,286 opened in 1936
WesBanco Arena, Wheeling, WV seats 5,406, opened in 1977

5/26/2016 5:23 pm  #6

I have no problem with the Richmond Arena.  The host city needs to have some A10 connection.

And it isn't anyone's home court. 

More importantly in A10 womens news Miranda Drummond transferred from SBU.  They lost Crowley to Providence and a player who was very good.

6/05/2016 6:39 pm  #7

duqkurt wrote:

I have no problem with the Richmond Arena. The host city needs to have some A10 connection.

And it isn't anyone's home court.

More importantly in A10 womens news Miranda Drummond transferred from SBU. They lost Crowley to Providence and a player who was very good.

Here's an update on sophomore Miranda Drummond's, former St Bonnie's player, seeking admittance to a new college and its D-1 basketball team by.transferring from Olean's favorite college:  http://www.pressconnects.com/story/sports/2016/06/03/drummond-leaving-bonaventure-major-programs-interested/85347478/

It's interesting that  the Bonnies placed a rather far-reaching restriction on the teams to which she can transfer.  The Bonnies banned her from seeking a scholarship from any team on the Bonnies' schedule.  

6/07/2016 9:09 am  #8

Having supported and followed 8 WBB teams nationally (5 of them mid-major including Duquesne)-  I can say with some objectivity that, unlike the BCS, mid-major conferences tend to struggle to find the perfect 'fit' (location and venue) for their conference championships.  Some conferences (i.e. the Summit League and Mountain West) have found excellent places that attract cross sectional fan support.  The A-10 is still struggling.  ​There does not appear to be sufficient cross sectional fan support (reasonable representation from multiple teams), to hold the Tourney at a neutral site.   Currently, the Richmond Arena is simply too large for the A10.  They had to block off one entire side in an attempt to minimize how empty the Arena was- and it didn't work.  Lowell, Mass was a disaster a few years ago. Until or unless attendance @ A10 WBB games grows, I suggest letting the school with the highest average home attendance and/or the school with the most improved home attendance host the Tourney.  Yes, the home team gets the advantage, but 1) more folks will be in the arena and 2) it might incent other teams to better promote their product. 

Board footera