Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2013 10:13 am  #1

Deja Nee and Collodio?

There are some very disturbing things going on. I've tried to show some restraint because, bottom line, I have 40 years invested into rooting for this program, my degree is from this University, a little piece of my heart will always be in Pittsburgh, and I have a lot of pride in all of these things. I want to be positive despite what is going on this season, and feel good about the future.

But I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the "It's Bush's fault" attitude on the Bluff. It wouldn't take much to put me over the edge right now, and when I say "over the edge," I mean push me to the point where I think we as supporters of this program have to demand big-time changes, starting at the top.

Someone forget to tell Greg Amodio and Jimmy Ferry this, but when you point a finger at someone else, you have four pointing back at you.

So here are some facts:

1. Ron Everhart built a winning program here, when no one else could do it for 30+ years. It took him two seasons. Yes, there were a lot of things he should have done differently, but none warranted his firing, or the leak of the internal email to the press. That's on Amodio.

2. The search for a replacement was at best disappointing. Amodio wanted Gaudio. No one else did (to their credit, even the Ron haters figured this one out). Then the guy at Ohio made us look like idiots. Then there are rumors of guys interedted in the job (Orlando Antigua, for one), but none of them are interviewed. We jump right to Ferry, who took LIU to the NCAAs two years in a row. Think Scott Edgar. Same deal. Big fish in a small pond (except for LIU, I never heard of any other school where he coached). A guy with a rep as a builder can do that anywhere; a guy who builds his rep on getting the sole NCAA bid in a low-level conference, that's much harder to translate into the next level. I put this one on Amodio too. His plan to make a change was seriously flawed. It's biting us in the butt this year.

3. From the start, Ferry has been spouting the him vs. me stuff, like he's dating Ron's ex-girlfriend and trying to impress her. Danny Nee did the same thing when he was here. Porter couldn't coach. Porter couldn't recruit. Porter was too young. He talked and talked, hoping no one would notice that he wasn't getting the job done. But we did. And then it became the players' fault. Sound familiar? That's what we're seeing this year. This is on Ferry.

4. Meanwhile, the Dukes are on a forever losing streak. Why? Because they can't shoot. "We need to spend more time in the gym." Where do I start with "what's wrong with this?"??? I can hit layups, and I'm fat, 55, and bald. Of course, being bald has nothing to do with anything, as does the "Bush's fault" philosophy of dealing with problems. Andre Marhold and Jerry Jones have been model citizens since they arrived. We're supposed to believe now that they're rogue kids who somehow ran wild while Ron Everhart turned a blind eye. Everhart was plenty tough. Ask Billy Clark, who not only paid a price for his actions, but became a better player. That's coaching. This is on Ferry.

5. Since Ron's kids are such a problem, let 'em go. Be fair and bring back the seniors, but let Martin & Pantophlet go. You have three scholarships right now, and based on what I've seen of your first recruiting class, you have a lot of holes to fill, starting with the point guard. Colter can score if he takes a lot of shots, but that doesn't help you win. Quite frankly, Jason Duty was a much more reliable point guard because you knew if he got fouled that he could hit FTs. I won't even bring other Everhart-era point guards into the conversation. You need someone who can reliably run the show, push Colter to a back-up role, and push Binney to the bench. You also need a SG and a SF who can score. You could also use a more athletic post player over 6-7. And you need someone who can get off the bench and score a little bit. This is on Ferry.

I know I'm talking out of frustration right now, but I mean everything I say above and I stand by it. Jim Ferry needs to shut up and start coaching or else we are going to be 0-16 in the A-10 and we are going to be set back by five years as a program. This is very disturbing to me.

That's why I'm about to begin a game of "hangman." I'm going to add another letter to this string after every future A-10 loss, and when the season is over, I'll be tweeting this message at anyone remotely connected to Duquesne basketball and starting with the reporters who cover the team. What will the message ultimately say? Keep losing and we'll find out.

#F

1/30/2013 11:34 am  #2

Re: Deja Nee and Collodio?

I have a tear comming ED that was beautiful!

1/30/2013 12:17 pm  #3

This current losing streak has taken a toll on the fans, players and coaches.  I think we need to enjoy this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H0xPWAtaa8

1/30/2013 4:43 pm  #4

Talk about unfair comparisons.  Re pulled us out a big hole, W put us in a big hole.

1/30/2013 5:26 pm  #5

I suspect you'll only get to #FIREAMO as I think the Dukes have three wins left in them.

1/30/2013 7:00 pm  #6

PrinceOf Pilsner wrote:

Talk about unfair comparisons.  Re pulled us out a big hole, W put us in a big hole.

----------
W's big hole compares favorably to B.O.'s China Syndrome.

1/30/2013 7:37 pm  #7

Ferry has taken infinitely more personal responsibility about game prep and game outcomes than his predecessor.  The first time Ferry mentioned this it was one time more than RE ever did.  So I like this.  Where are we headed?  Not sure.  We are RPI 200 with a few close wins projected at 1-2 points and RI at 8pts.  

Duquense hasn't had a home court advantage since 1993-94.  Since then, we've played 100% away games in terms of having no substantial or sustainable fan support.  I often think playing as visitors in away gyms is probably more palatable to the team...must be a ton better than looking up from the court at blue seats and wood.

Mr. Amodio was -- get this -- the marketing guy at Xavier.  Think about that.  Doesn't it make you sick?  Marketing...

At the end of the day, CD and the B of Govs must like Amodio since he's still employed.  And he'll hang on to get us through the next NCAA regional event.  His resume consists of opening a new BB office wing, deleting several sports, getting the frisbee dogs, getting a few thousand UPMC T-Shirt freebies, and the WBB program success.  Of course he will claim the latter but we all know SMS did it in spite of the program.  Ladies come to play for SMS.  Period.

We are left to recruit Canadians that play basketball 2 months a year when the ice thaws.  Go down the line.  Few Canadians produce anything other than a really cool accent.  Wayne Smith was good but left Duquense and played 13 games in the Adriatic league.  Thank God for Wumi or I'd write off the whole country.

1/30/2013 7:46 pm  #8

From his bio on the duquesne page.  Emphasis mine.

In his decade at Xavier, Amodio moved from assistant director of **marketing and promotions**, to assistant athletic director and finally to associate athletic director. As associate AD, he managed a **strategic, integrated program** focused on ***increasing attendance***, ***enhancing alumni participation*** in athletics and ***increasing fund-raising***. During his last seven seasons at XU, men's basketball **attendance reached 97 percent capacity*** and women's basketball attendance increased 150 percent. Amodio directed the ***corporate partner programs***, ***season and group ticket sales strategy***, advertising campaign, ***fund-raising initiatives*** and game operations for Xavier athletics.

Prior to his stint at Xavier, he served as the ***promotions manager*** for the Professional Golfers' Association of America, with a focus on ***national fund-raising programs*** and junior golf initiatives.

1/30/2013 7:48 pm  #9

By the way, they are pumping $$ into "come-out-and-see-the-Dukes" drive-time radio spots -- which is refreshing -- but they're really pitching the other team "come and see VCU up close..."

1/30/2013 9:37 pm  #10

Jeralta wrote:

From his bio on the duquesne page.  Emphasis mine.

In his decade at Xavier, Amodio moved from assistant director of **marketing and promotions**, to assistant athletic director and finally to associate athletic director. As associate AD, he managed a **strategic, integrated program** focused on ***increasing attendance***, ***enhancing alumni participation*** in athletics and ***increasing fund-raising***. During his last seven seasons at XU, men's basketball **attendance reached 97 percent capacity*** and women's basketball attendance increased 150 percent. Amodio directed the ***corporate partner programs***, ***season and group ticket sales strategy***, advertising campaign, ***fund-raising initiatives*** and game operations for Xavier athletics.

Prior to his stint at Xavier, he served as the ***promotions manager*** for the Professional Golfers' Association of America, with a focus on ***national fund-raising programs*** and junior golf initiatives.

1/30/2013 9:50 pm  #11

Dear Jaralta you obviously must work in th AD dept based upon this bull sh+t response. Under GA there  has been a significant decline in student media & alumni support since yes Brian Al Capone Colleary. Seriously you must be on crack based on your rationale or lack thereof. 

1/30/2013 9:53 pm  #12

Jeralta wrote:

Thank God for Wumi or I'd write off the whole country.

Perhaps the funniest thing ever written on a DU message board. 

Im kind of proud I was ahead of the curve in the realization that Amodio is part of the problem and not the solution.  

1/30/2013 10:10 pm  #13

Ironduke81 wrote:

Dear Jaralta you obviously must work in th AD dept based upon this bull sh+t response. Under GA there  has been a significant decline in student media & alumni support since yes Brian Al Capone Colleary. Seriously you must be on crack based on your rationale or lack thereof. 

I believe he was being sarcastic.   Highlighting his marketing skills while student support is at all all time low. 

1/30/2013 10:41 pm  #14

Student attendance, like alum, like anybody depends on winning, or the hope of winning.  Ron filled the house his first year after the shooting and with 9 players and a walk-on against Rhode Island. I WAS THERE!  81 can talk this off, but the fact is Ferry will not, can not, and DU is back to 30 years of guessing, and losing.  When Ron was here, he has 6 of the highest scoring games in DU history, was one of the winningest coaches ever at DU and in-spite of filling the Consol 2 years ago, was constantly attacked by 81 for not winning it all. Guess-what, 13 other coaches in the A-10 were trying to win too.  Ferry's post game intervue after VCU, which he said, it is impossible to practice to play a team that runs the whole game and pressures you the entire game?? Sounds like Ron's game, but 81 called it a gimick, but VCU attacks the whole game and it's legit?  Ferry doesn't have a clue,  and constantly looks to blame his players, and god know Ron??  This program is back in the dumpster.  Ferry has the players, he just doesn't have the coaching to make it competitive.  I hope, but doubt, he with 2 or 3 years will have that team, most likely not, and thus the merry-go-round continues.  From loosing coach to loosing coach.

1/30/2013 10:54 pm  #15

duqkurt wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

I believe he was being sarcastic.   Highlighting his marketing skills while student support is at all all time low. 

He was obviously being sarcastic. You're out of line with the "crack" remark.

1/30/2013 11:07 pm  #16

NapaDuke wrote:

Student attendance, like alum, like anybody depends on winning, or the hope of winning.  Ron filled the house his first year after the shooting and with 9 players and a walk-on against Rhode Island. I WAS THERE!  81 can talk this off, but the fact is Ferry will not, can not, and DU is back to 30 years of guessing, and losing.  When Ron was here, he has 6 of the highest scoring games in DU history, was one of the winningest coaches ever at DU and in-spite of filling the Consol 2 years ago, was constantly attacked by 81 for not winning it all. Guess-what, 13 other coaches in the A-10 were trying to win too.  Ferry's post game intervue after VCU, which he said, it is impossible to practice to play a team that runs the whole game and pressures you the entire game?? Sounds like Ron's game, but 81 called it a gimick, but VCU attacks the whole game and it's legit?  Ferry doesn't have a clue,  and constantly looks to blame his players, and god know Ron??  This program is back in the dumpster.  Ferry has the players, he just doesn't have the coaching to make it competitive.  I hope, but doubt, he with 2 or 3 years will have that team, most likely not, and thus the merry-go-round continues.  From loosing coach to loosing coach.

Total nonsense. I never attacked Ron for not winning it all. In reality, I don't really care about the A10 tournament. It would be nice to win it, but I want a team that can earn an at large bid. Bona won the tournament, and is still getting ripped as a nothing program.  A mid level team can get hot for 3 days. It takes a season of good play to earn an at large bid. By the way, VCU does not play 10/40. I never called running and pressing a gimmick, 10/40 is a gimmick. As for high scoring games, I don't really care about that. I'd gladly take a grind it out style that was highly successful. I've been hearing that we're going to run our way to success since the 1970's. It hasn't worked yet. As for Ferry, thanks for ripping him. Recruits read this page. Who would want to come here with fans like you ripping the coach?

1/30/2013 11:15 pm  #17

Yes i was being abundantly sarcastic. The 'talents' and experience Amodio is credited with on the bio page are nowhere to be found in his DU tenure.  I keep saying, though, CD and the Board must like him or else he'd be toast.

1/30/2013 11:17 pm  #18

I am not an insider. Unfortunately for Duquesne i am becoming more and more and more of a disinterested alumnus.  It never needed to come to this.

1/31/2013 12:05 am  #19

Anybody who criticized Ron over anything was called a troll on voy and on the scout board. Now the troll hunters have started ripping Ferry 20 games into his tenure at Duquesne.  

Last edited by Duq11 (1/31/2013 12:12 am)

1/31/2013 1:20 am  #20

duq81 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Total nonsense. I never attacked Ron for not winning it all. In reality, I don't really care about the A10 tournament. It would be nice to win it, but I want a team that can earn an at large bid. Bona won the tournament, and is still getting ripped as a nothing program.  A mid level team can get hot for 3 days. It takes a season of good play to earn an at large bid. By the way, VCU does not play 10/40. I never called running and pressing a gimmick, 10/40 is a gimmick. As for high scoring games, I don't really care about that. I'd gladly take a grind it out style that was highly successful. I've been hearing that we're going to run our way to success since the 1970's. It hasn't worked yet. As for Ferry, thanks for ripping him. Recruits read this page. Who would want to come here with fans like you ripping the coach?

Well 81, you ripped the coach for 5 years?  How did that help the program?  As for grind it out games, that depends on big center oriented style of play to be successful.  Abele gets no time, but alters the game when he is in (though to few moments to affect the out-come)  Ferry plays Marhold instead?  Too short for a center and Ferry's Dukes are not a running style team to compensate for lack of size.  If he is going to go slow-half-court game, why Marhold?, and if he (which he isn't) going to have a running style game why play this half court game, he is playing to the strength of his opponents, (a game he is unlikely to win at this level, ever.)   Funny you mentioned St. Boni winning the A-10 tourney but not respected. DU played better in those 5 years than St.Boni, but Nicholson got hot in the tourney at the end of the season, then was one and out in the NCAA.

1/31/2013 1:33 am  #21

Duq11 wrote:

Anybody who criticized Ron over anything was called a troll on voy and on the scout board. Now the troll hunters have started ripping Ferry 20 games into his tenure at Duquesne.  

Big difference here, Ron was winning, Ferry is not and Ferry is ripping his players (not taking the blame himself) and now ripped the former coach for his teams problems now?  This Higher Level game we got going here now sure beats Ron's gimick style of winning, don't you think?

1/31/2013 6:20 am  #22

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Well 81, you ripped the coach for 5 years?  How did that help the program?  As for grind it out games, that depends on big center oriented style of play to be successful.  Abele gets no time, but alters the game when he is in (though to few moments to affect the out-come)  Ferry plays Marhold instead?  Too short for a center and Ferry's Dukes are not a running style team to compensate for lack of size.  If he is going to go slow-half-court game, why Marhold?, and if he (which he isn't) going to have a running style game why play this half court game, he is playing to the strength of his opponents, (a game he is unlikely to win at this level, ever.)   Funny you mentioned St. Boni winning the A-10 tourney but not respected. DU played better in those 5 years than St.Boni, but Nicholson got hot in the tourney at the end of the season, then was one and out in the NCAA.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. I rarely criticized Ron during the time he was coach. When he was getting roasted by several posters last year, I was one of his defenders. I never called for him to be fired, and battled WEB constantly over his attacks on RE. My criticisms of RE mostly came after he was fired, as we debated whether or not his firing could be justified. This is a forum for discussion after all. If you disagreed with my positions, you should have debated them, rather than coming on here and calling me out, and then ripping Ferry.

1/31/2013 8:59 am  #23

duqkurt wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

It's a joke ! Love  Jeralta's post . Is it getting to the point anyone disagrees with your position super secret probation.Who gets warned  Next CLK El Duque Scothman etc. etc. Instead of using "crack" if I said perhaps" crazy "I offend the mentally challenged. Maybe "drunk" "High" again Sarcasm son Sarcasm. Warning to the great El D you should not refer to" Bush bashing" this obviously offends the Political Science majors.

1/31/2013 9:08 am  #24

NapaDuke wrote:

Duq11 wrote:

Big difference here, Ron was winning, Ferry is not and Ferry is ripping his players (not taking the blame himself) and now ripped the former coach for his teams problems now?  This Higher Level game we got going here now sure beats Ron's gimick style of winning, don't you think?

I think id rather have my team learn a system that they'll be running their entire careers here instead of a gimmick(10/40) that the rest of the conference caught up to in less than half of a season. 

1/31/2013 10:58 am  #25

Duq11 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Duq11 wrote:

I think id rather have my team learn a system that they'll be running their entire careers here instead of a gimmick(10/40) that the rest of the conference caught up to in less than half of a season. 

Good luck with that! It wasn't a gimmick it was a coach who looked at his roster after the shooting, their size, strenghts, and weakness, and came up with a way to win some games, that's coaching. He knocked off St. Louis, Dayton, and X three in a row with that gimmick.

It seems they will be learning to lose in the A10 their whole careers right know, hope not, but it is what it is right now.

You can sh_t in one hand and wish in the other and I'll tell you which one fills up first.

Board footera