Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2013 9:16 am  #1

This is actually a good matchup for us ...

Too bad this isn't a home game, or I think we would have a better chance of winning. But St. Bonaventure gets a lot of home cooking on its home court, and I think in a tight battle the Bonnies will be shooting lots of FTs at the end for what I can most politely describe as phantom fouls.

St. Bonaventure's best players are its two forwards, neither of whom is very long but both of whom are strong players. The Bonnies also start a large space eater at center. I think if we try to play small ball today we will be embarrassed. A guard will not be able to cover their forwards, and Pantophlet will get stuck in their center's butt crack and maybe disappear for life.

I'm certainly no expert, but if I look at this matchup, I would start Abele in the middle with Marhold and Pantophlet up front. We'll have some depth problems because the only other forward we can go to is Datt (unless Martin has been showing something in practice) so we might wear down as the game goes on. Jerry Jones will be overmatched a little today.

The big key for me though will be the play of our guards. No knock on St. Bonaventure's backcourt, but based on its performance, you'll see an assist to turnover ration of 1:2 or 1:3. Colter, Johnson, Jeremiah Jones, Binney, and maybe Winters should stay in front of their guys and maybe we'll force them into a flood of TOs.

Of course, we need to hit shots. Colter, Johnson, Winters, Jeremiah all need to hit for double digits. Maybe even try to set Abele up inside and try to draw some fouls out of their 7-footer (Although they have another one on the bench).

And we need to control the boards.

I expect a physical game, low scoring. As I said earlier, home cooking will make a big difference. But a 65-60 loss in which we're in it at the end and get frustrated by the refs will maybe get under the skin of our guys and get them fired up to make a run down the stretch.

Go Dukes!

2/02/2013 9:50 am  #2

Re: This is actually a good matchup for us ...

What is the all time record against St. Bonaventure?

2/02/2013 10:07 am  #3

Bilgy, we lead the series 57-51.  I'm hoping for a win today as this is truly a series where the old cliche about throwing the record book out the window applies.

2/02/2013 10:14 am  #4

I'm surprised Bilgy didn't know that. He's been to all 108 of the games. Historically, despite the fairly even record, some of Duquesne's best games (highest scoring, biggest victory margin) have come against the Bonnies -- some on their court.

2/02/2013 10:21 am  #5

I've only been to 107 games.  I remember Duquesne has played St. Bonaventure in Pittsburgh, Morgantown, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Olean, and Oklahoma City.  Don't know if they played in Atlantic City, since neither team got there very often.  Somehow I wanted to say they played in Hawaii, but it may have been Siena that Duquesne played over there.

2/02/2013 11:40 am  #6

ElDuque wrote:

Too bad this isn't a home game, or I think we would have a better chance of winning. But St. Bonaventure gets a lot of home cooking on its home court, and I think in a tight battle the Bonnies will be shooting lots of FTs at the end for what I can most politely describe as phantom fouls.

St. Bonaventure's best players are its two forwards, neither of whom is very long but both of whom are strong players. The Bonnies also start a large space eater at center. I think if we try to play small ball today we will be embarrassed. A guard will not be able to cover their forwards, and Pantophlet will get stuck in their center's butt crack and maybe disappear for life.

I'm certainly no expert, but if I look at this matchup, I would start Abele in the middle with Marhold and Pantophlet up front. We'll have some depth problems because the only other forward we can go to is Datt (unless Martin has been showing something in practice) so we might wear down as the game goes on. Jerry Jones will be overmatched a little today.

The big key for me though will be the play of our guards. No knock on St. Bonaventure's backcourt, but based on its performance, you'll see an assist to turnover ration of 1:2 or 1:3. Colter, Johnson, Jeremiah Jones, Binney, and maybe Winters should stay in front of their guys and maybe we'll force them into a flood of TOs.

Of course, we need to hit shots. Colter, Johnson, Winters, Jeremiah all need to hit for double digits. Maybe even try to set Abele up inside and try to draw some fouls out of their 7-footer (Although they have another one on the bench).

And we need to control the boards.

I expect a physical game, low scoring. As I said earlier, home cooking will make a big difference. But a 65-60 loss in which we're in it at the end and get frustrated by the refs will maybe get under the skin of our guys and get them fired up to make a run down the stretch.

Go Dukes!

Sorry, but I don't quite like the matchup as much as you.  My entire basis rests on Kloof's defense.  If he's covering SJ...which I think he will be...it takes away your #1 scorer as Kloof is IMO the A10 D-POY to this point.  With SJ's scoring potential likely diminished, we're relying too much on a frosh PG for both scoring and distributing to other targets than his primary...on the road in Olean.  Not a good thing.  We've already seen him press too much under those types of circumstances.  I'm hoping for the best, but I don't like our matchup when we're on O.  When we're on D, I agree with you. 

I would certainly NOT start Marhold, Abele, and Pantophlet.  With Kloof taking away a lot of what SJ likes to do, there will be times the only scoring threat on the floor would be Colter.

I don't think Jerry will be overmatched.  If he's up against Chris Johnson, I think he'll hold his own.

At this point, I'd just try to slow it down and keep the game in the 50s and give yourself a shot at it.

Last edited by rogabee (2/02/2013 11:42 am)

2/02/2013 6:01 pm  #7

I just got home and looked at the box score that SBU provides and I am...confused. Did Derrick Martin really play 15 minutes? Abele started, came out for a sub, and never went back? Winters hardly played? A minute for Datt? Binney 23 minutes?

BTW, apologies for the bad prediction. I said 65-60, it was 68-60.

2/02/2013 6:09 pm  #8

Think the Dukes tired at the end.  They missed some important 3 pointers and a few 1 and 1's at the foul line.  Great effort!

2/02/2013 6:45 pm  #9

The stats were really pretty even in every category except one. The Bonnies shot 85% from the line, we shot 9 of 15 for 60%, with 2 being the front end of one and ones. That's 8 points missed out on. Give us 4 of those, and it's a tied game inside of a minute.

2/02/2013 7:06 pm  #10

But did I read the boxscore right? Did we really shake the lineup up that much?

Board footera