Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2016 10:41 am  #1

More recruiting news from Pittsburgh Sports Now

8/25/2016 11:57 am  #2

Re: More recruiting news from Pittsburgh Sports Now

Well at least we are no longer looking at small and and smaller guards........

A diehard fan since 1961

8/25/2016 3:55 pm  #3

Indeed!

8/26/2016 7:38 am  #4

I am really impressed with the recruiting effort the last two years. Now if we could only land a couple of players that are also offered by a BCS program and, coach improves player development, we might actually have something here.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

8/26/2016 12:34 pm  #5

I think the staff has done some good work on player development.  If you look at six of the players who played most of the minutes last year, they all made significant improvement in their years at Duquesne. 

A lot of posters have commented on how much LG could have helped this team in the upcoming season; but do you recall how raw he was when he first arrived at Duquesne?  He lead the team in rebounding last season and had some nice scoring games as well. He went from a guy who got no looks from BCS schools to a guy that Maryland is taking as a 5th year guy. 

You can't deny that Darius has made great strides, from a guy who couldn't run up and down the court 3 times without needing a break to a guy who I believe started every game last season and played significant minutes.  Of course, he still has much room for improvement, but he has been a contributor when at first glance, I didn't have much hope. 

It may not have been as noticeable, because they both had skill when they arrived, but Micah and DC improved significantly in their years at Duquesne.  Micah had the basketball intelligence and was already a great shooter, but at Duquesne he received the opportunity to do much more than just shoot the 3 (which is the role that many other coaches would have used him in exclusively).  He became a playmaker, a creator, an assist man, and a team leader.  He is now a professional in Europe! 
DC was of course a tireless worker, that really got every ounce of production he could have, out of his 5'9" frame.  He improved significantly as he matured at Duquesne, as a player and a mature adult who will contribute to society. 
Jeremiah had his season cut short by an injury that was devastating to him personally and really impacted this team.  He was on his way to his best season, and clearly was the best leader on the team.  A guy that everyone respected and looked up to.  He found his role on the team, as a defender, an unselfish offensive player, and a good rebounder for his size.  He clearly improved by leaps and bounds in his 3+ years on the court for the Dukes.  He is also a great representative of the program and a high quality individual.

Finally, consider Eric James who stepped in for Jeremiah and made great contributions to the teams success almost immediately.  I look for Eric to have a big year this year as he continues to mature as a player.  I thought he made a huge jump from his freshman year to his sophomore year.  He hit a bit of a slump at one point, but recovered before the end of the season.  He became a pretty good passer, a decent rebounder and anticipated well on defense.  He has some upside to get better.

So , I rest my case that the staff is not bad at player development! 

Last edited by levon1975 (8/26/2016 1:45 pm)

8/26/2016 2:19 pm  #6

Refreshing.  Excellent post.  Thank you. 

8/26/2016 2:34 pm  #7

Levon, should we then make the assumption that the washouts and failures are on the players and not on the staff. What coach would recruit players who didn't want to improve and get better. I'll buy in but your much too generous. Sorry.
Much is being said optimistically about this season and the talent level. I would caution that until this team, irrespective of who plays, learns how to play defense and rebound your not climbing out of the mid to lower echelon of the A-10. And responsibility for that falls on the SAME STAFF.

Last edited by The Dome (8/26/2016 2:41 pm)

8/26/2016 3:34 pm  #8

I agree that the defense must improve for the program to make continued progress, and the coaches must make that happen.  If we assume that the athleticism of the players is on the upswing, then there is not reason that they can't defend.
I don't think anyone knows when they recruit a kid, whether he is going to have the work ethic needed to get better and compete at this level.  You see players in all programs that don't progress for one reason or another.

8/26/2016 8:16 pm  #9

Doesn't development result in a winning season at some point?

8/26/2016 9:00 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

Doesn't development result in a winning season at some point?

Yeah, and this should be the year. Year 5 should always be the payoff for a coach. Sometimes it comes early, but it should always come by year 5.

8/27/2016 6:03 am  #11

Well, good. Been listening to "Don't you worry, never fear, Robin Hood will soon be here" for four years now, through losing, a revolving door of players, and guys playing 38 minutes a night, and seeing this sold as "development" now makes me feel like I'm seeing political commercials.

I don't buy into bullPitt, I buy into results.

8/27/2016 8:43 am  #12

ElDuque wrote:

Well, good. Been listening to "Don't you worry, never fear, Robin Hood will soon be here" for four years now, through losing, a revolving door of players, and guys playing 38 minutes a night, and seeing this sold as "development" now makes me feel like I'm seeing political commercials.

This is pretty much how I feel also.  Just win, all the rest is just jaw flapping.  The stated goal for this Program is to make it to the NCAA.  You can't do that as a bottom dweller in the A10.  Five years is enough time to show signs you are a next level coach by winning in A10 and moving to the top part of the League.

8/27/2016 1:49 pm  #13

Why not call for John Rhodes' head?  Exactly what has he contributed in 5 years?  Ferry needs to get rid of the dead wood.  What say Robin Hood?

Last edited by Hilltopper (8/27/2016 1:51 pm)

8/27/2016 2:22 pm  #14

Hilltopper wrote:

Why not call for John Rhodes' head?  Exactly what has he contributed in 5 years?  Ferry needs to get rid of the dead wood.  What say Robin Hood?

Don't know what to say about that comment; but I'll assume you are being facetious.  Why would anyone go after a guy who has been through the ordeal that John survived?  He also happens to be a great human being!

8/27/2016 3:46 pm  #15

ElDuque wrote:

There's no need to fear Underdog is here.

8/27/2016 7:30 pm  #16

levon1975 wrote:

Hilltopper wrote:

Don't know what to say about that comment; but I'll assume you are being facetious.  Why would anyone go after a guy who has been through the ordeal that John survived?  He also happens to be a great human being!

I think there's some assumption that I'm calling for Ferry's head.

I'm not. Nor will I.

I just want Duquesne to get its money's worth from the $3M man.

Which means: Just win.

8/27/2016 7:36 pm  #17

WashPaRick wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

There's no need to fear Underdog is here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nlH9tBseDI0&autoplay=1&vidve=5727

Apologies, you have to be my age to know this bit.

8/30/2016 8:52 am  #18

8/30/2016 10:18 am  #19

You beat me to the punch. I wonder if they're only covering recruiting, or if they'll follow the team this season.

8/30/2016 1:08 pm  #20

CLK wrote:

2016 PG on unofficial visit today.  

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2016/08/30/2018-pg-visiting-duquesne/

Not a fan 

Roll Dukes Roll

8/30/2016 2:20 pm  #21

currentstudent wrote:

CLK wrote:

Not a fan 

Because he's short? I'm on record as a big fan of longer guards but you can't ignore his offer sheet.

8/30/2016 3:05 pm  #22

Dukes2012 wrote:

currentstudent wrote:

CLK wrote:

Not a fan 

Because he's short? I'm on record as a big fan of longer guards but you can't ignore his offer sheet.

Agreed! Willie Somerset was 5'10". I like size as well, but if the kid can play, you have to consider him. With Ivys on his list, he's obviously smart as well. All Ivy athletes might not really be Ivy material, but they're all "college material".

8/30/2016 3:18 pm  #23

Coaches understand talent in a way fans do not.  Impression around A-10 coaches was generally high on Colter despite limitations.  They loved his low center of gravity combined with given strength and quicks.  Even Jaime called out Colter his frosh year following Pitt's usual drubbing of Dukes, calling Colter "outstanding."

Allen Iverson never tipped the scales above 160-165 lbs.in his career yet ran the point for John Thompson at Georgetown and Larry Brown, 76ers, a couple of HOF coaches who didn't seem to mind a bit.  Of note, Sixers never been the same since.  

8/30/2016 3:37 pm  #24

...of the recruit? The reporter? The publication? The message board? Your friendly neighborhood El Duque?

What is it McHale? What, what, what, what?

8/30/2016 4:48 pm  #25

The season can't start soon enough! I can't remember going into a season with such a wide range of possible outcomes. This team has neither proven players, nor proven scrubs at any position. Potential at every position, none of it proven. No outcome would totally surprise me, from a 10 win season that leads to a coaching change, to a 25 win season that also leads to a coaching change.

Board footera