Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2016 10:10 pm  #1

John Walker

6'8" forward John walker from Texas will visit Duquesne on October 7. Looks really skinny (like Brandon Ingram) but appears to be a good athlete and shooter. Offers from Houston and Tennessee tech.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iiExgfJLuHY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P3y7sntRlrI

http://247sports.com/player/john-walker-iii-93551

Last edited by Dukes2012 (9/21/2016 10:39 pm)

9/23/2016 10:44 am  #2

Re: John Walker

Looks pretty athletic, used left hand nicely.  Didn't Ferry have some Texas connections that we heard about when he first got here?  I don't recollect anyone recruited from Texas during Ferry's tenure so far though.

9/23/2016 12:33 pm  #3

I recall watching LIU / RMU championship game the year Duquesne hired Coach Ferry. He had. 6-7. Power forward, a Sr. Who was around 230, and could penetrate like Ovie did for us. He was from San Antonio, Tx, and they won that game and went NCAA...

A diehard fan since 1961

9/23/2016 12:53 pm  #4

PistolPete wrote:

Looks pretty athletic, used left hand nicely.  Didn't Ferry have some Texas connections that we heard about when he first got here?  I don't recollect anyone recruited from Texas during Ferry's tenure so far though.

Unless you count us stealing Marqwell Jackson right off of UTEPs campus  . How is it that a kid who didn't have Duquesne anywhere on his recruiting short list ends up here when he is on campus in Texas before he ever even started school? Not suggesting we did anything wrong here because it happens all the time, I just don't understand how.

9/23/2016 1:18 pm  #5

You are right 102, I wasn't thinking transfer and I guess they were trying to get Marqwell out of HS, but he went to UTEP.  Anyway, all I know is we need a 6'9", 6'10" big boy banger at this point to solidify this recruiting class.  Go Dukes! 

9/23/2016 2:01 pm  #6

LIU had quite a few players from San Antonio. I asked Jim on his radio show if we could expect some here and  his answer was we recruit everywhere.

9/23/2016 2:01 pm  #7

PistolPete wrote:

I agree. This kid is intriguing. Definitely a late bloomer but appears to be really skilled. I feel like he could have a really high ceiling. Plus, Houston is a good program, so if they offered we aren't the only ones who see the potential

Last edited by Dukes2012 (9/23/2016 2:02 pm)

9/23/2016 2:05 pm  #8

LIU has 2 players from Texas on this years roster. Maybe the coach who stayed at LIU had the connections.

9/23/2016 3:55 pm  #9

Duques102 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Unless you count us stealing Marqwell Jackson right off of UTEPs campus  . How is it that a kid who didn't have Duquesne anywhere on his recruiting short list ends up here when he is on campus in Texas before he ever even started school? Not suggesting we did anything wrong here because it happens all the time, I just don't understand how.

I doubt this was a case of "stealing" a player from UTEP; more likely that Marqwell wasn't happy down there, and maybe Tim Floyd the coach at UTEP, realized that Marqwell wasn't going to be the player he expected, so he probably cut his losses and let him walk.

9/23/2016 4:36 pm  #10

The thing I like about the Walker videos is that he looks like a guard who had a late growth spurt or something. He would just need to put on about 30 pounds.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

9/23/2016 11:03 pm  #12

levon1975 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

I doubt this was a case of "stealing" a player from UTEP; more likely that Marqwell wasn't happy down there, and maybe Tim Floyd the coach at UTEP, realized that Marqwell wasn't going to be the player he expected, so he probably cut his losses and let him walk.

I don't understand the logic of kicking kids on the way out. Never did.

9/24/2016 7:56 am  #13

levon1975 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Unless you count us stealing Marqwell Jackson right off of UTEPs campus . How is it that a kid who didn't have Duquesne anywhere on his recruiting short list ends up here when he is on campus in Texas before he ever even started school? Not suggesting we did anything wrong here because it happens all the time, I just don't understand how.

Wasn't there a coaching change between the time he signed, and the time he arrived on campus?

9/24/2016 10:13 pm  #14

duq81, I seem to recall that he signed with UTEP without visiting there. He had a cousin and another AAU buddy from Detroit playing there. Tim Floyd recruited him; so no coaching change. He was definitely a 3 star recruit; and Scout had him as a 4 star at one time. Best wishes to Mar'qywell on wherever he lands.

10/07/2016 1:11 pm  #15

A Twitter post confirms that 6'8 John Walker (2017/SF) is taking an official visit to Duquesne this weekend.

Last edited by CLK (10/07/2016 1:13 pm)

10/10/2016 9:03 pm  #16

As per Evan Daniels on Twitter John Walker just committed to Duquesne!  Daniels calls him "an absolute steal".

10/10/2016 9:21 pm  #17

levon1975 wrote:

As per Evan Daniels on Twitter John Walker just committed to Duquesne!  Daniels calls him "an absolute steal".

Wow another good commit! He appears to be a late bloomer, but extremely high ceiling. Corey Evans seems to be a big fan, as well. Apparently he was a 6'3" guard who grew to 6'8" forward, but maintained his guard skills.

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2016/10/10/walker-commits-duquesne/

Last edited by Dukes2012 (10/10/2016 9:26 pm)

10/10/2016 10:13 pm  #18

Simms wrote:

The thing I like about the Walker videos is that he looks like a guard who had a late growth spurt or something. He would just need to put on about 30 pounds.

Man, whoever speculated earlier that he played like a guard with a late growth spurt must have been a really smart guy!  In all seriousness, this recruiting class is by far Ferry's best.  Nice job by the staff.  I really hope we can have a positive year to get things moving in the right direction!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

10/11/2016 2:31 am  #19

Walker is a third impressive recruit for the Dukes. Great job of recruiting and coaxing top-rated player visits. I do not think John Walker is done growing. I noticed that fact watching his highlight clips when his program interest was first noted on the board. I will not be surprised to see a  (less-dramatic) growth process within the 2 - 3 inch range.
​As good as this cake looks now wouldn't additional icing be nice?

10/11/2016 5:05 am  #20

One more scholie to go. Looking forward to Johnny Walker Red Out day!

Go Dukes!

10/11/2016 7:18 am  #21

Board footera