Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2013 5:32 pm  #1

2/05/2013 6:30 pm  #2

Re: GW

GW made a somewhat risky move a year ago, firing a very successful coach who had stumbled a bit, even though he rebounded somewhat in his final year. The team was terrible under the new coach last year, but is now begining to make some strides. This is a winnable game, but will be no cakewalk.

2/05/2013 8:01 pm  #3

duq81 wrote:

GW made a somewhat risky move a year ago, firing a very successful coach who had stumbled a bit, even though he rebounded somewhat in his final year. The team was terrible under the new coach last year, but is now begining to make some strides. This is a winnable game, but will be no cakewalk.

Was not aware that Carl Hobbs was fired with one year left on his contract.2 A-10 titles but new AD decided to make the move.I was curious about GW press release about the termination. Night & Day from the CBS leak via the unknown board member. Very factual complementary towards Carl Hobbs tenure nothing but appreciative. GW decided to make the change but atleast the press release did not destroy his career. Oh well I hope that the unknown DU Board member can sleep @ night.

2/06/2013 6:38 am  #4

2/06/2013 8:27 am  #5

At some point, you have to change the message. No one expected this team to win 20 games. There's no pressure to do anything but to go out and play. Expectations are already low.

Change the message. We're working. We're busting our butts. We're confident that some wins will come. Meanwhile, we're going out there and competing.

That's it. Don't need to go all Rex Ryan and get tattoos of the wife wearing a Norm Nixon jersey. No need to unnecessarily puff anyone up. But plant some positive messages. Your kids read these things, and they may start to think the game's over before they play.

Tonight is a rough matchup, especially if Ferry pulls the D'Antoni and sticks to his formula of Pantophlet and four Smurfs. That forward from GWU will eat Pantophlet and Marhold alive. Stick a big body out there for him to worry about.

Their other four starters are freshmen. They're having a much better year than our kids are, because they're playing well as a team. So we have to play smart, defend well, and take good shots. I think we need to get the score in the 70s to win.

And win or lose, hand out some kudos after the game.

2/06/2013 11:32 am  #6

Looking at the GW stats there are only two players averaging in double figures and that's barely @ 12.2 and 10 pts. per game.They must really be working together and getting most of what's there out of the kids.

2/06/2013 11:47 am  #7

My son lives in Northern VA.  If you think some people were upset when RE was let go, you should have been at GW when they made their move...not even close to what we have dealt with.

2/06/2013 3:22 pm  #8

President, they're .500 with four freshmen starting. And you're right: No one is piling up nutty stats.

So, let's start getting it done here.

2/06/2013 4:02 pm  #9

Would love to get it done! I really believe there is a confidence factor here. Losing begets more losing until something happens to change that. Maybe tonight will be the night that we "get it done". Let's hope!

2/06/2013 4:09 pm  #10

CLK wrote:

If we are going to make a move we need to start now.

From DU site

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/020413aab.html

From GW site

http://www.gwsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/020513aab.html

Make a move?  God love you, you're the eternal optmist. This team is dead and buried.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/06/2013 4:11 pm  #11

After reading the article, I don't see the negativity that the headline implies.

2/06/2013 4:59 pm  #12

I'm with CLK.  A win against the Colonials tonight could give the Dukes the much-needed confidence to make a late season run for one of the top 12 spots in the A-10 — an utterly unexpected turn of events at this stage in the season and one sure to startle our long-suffering fans.  It would be cool as hell.  After tonight, we still have eight conference games to play, including four at home, so anything is possible.  Barclays or Bust!  Go Dukes!!!

2/06/2013 5:53 pm  #13

It's a positive that Ferry's latest quotes are about everybody executing and not letting dumb mistakes stall the offense.

That's a better way to frame the way out of the losing streak than is questioning players's leadership, talent or commitment.

2/06/2013 8:50 pm  #14

My heart has been savagely ripped from my chest and stomped on.

2/06/2013 8:56 pm  #15

Is this Derek Bell's Operation Shutdown?  Has the team turned on Ferry?  Looks like the last year of Nee and Edgar out on the floor

Board footera