Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/27/2016 5:00 pm  #1

The City Game...

Should be a great game on Thursday!!! 

Last edited by DuqBeach (12/27/2016 5:01 pm)

12/27/2016 9:40 pm  #2

Re: The City Game...

I noticed that not so many people are talking on the message board.  I guess everyone is sleeping these days.  Here are my two cents.  This is a big rival.  The Dukes have had the upper hand the last few years, but now since the Dukes graduated 3 seniors, this should be a great game.  Go Dukes!

12/28/2016 11:47 am  #3

weekday at 2

christmas break, so no students

if i remember correctly, this isn't our administration's fault. i'm just saying it sucks.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/28/2016 7:08 pm  #4

The Dukes, 6-7, have won six of the last seven games and 13 of the last 20 games against Pitt, 9-3.  The Dukes' NCAA RPI is 65 (1st in the A10 Conf.); the Panthers' RPI is 172 (13th in the Atlantic Coast Conf.).  The NCAA RPI for all games played through Wed., Dec. 28 listed the Dukes with an RPI of 72 and Pitt with an RPI of 167.  In contrast to Pitt who played one of its regular season games against D-2 Slippery Rock, the Dukes opened its season agasint the #13/#14-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes in Columbus and recently played #3/#4-ranked Maryland at home.  

Sagarin for games played through Dec. 27th ranks the Dukes at #107 and Pitt at #113.  The Dukes' schedule is ranked the 30th toughest while Pitt's is ranked the 316th toughest of all of the 349 D-1 women's teams.  Depending on which Sagarin rating system is used to develop a point spread, the point spread range for this game at the Palumbo favors the Dukes from 6 points to 2 points. 

Follow Duquesne WBB=1px !importantVerified account[color=#b1bbc3]@DuqWBB[/color]Help us keep the title of #CityGameChamps! See you at Palumbo Center at 2pm on Thursday...Let's Go, Dukes!

Last edited by godukes1970 (12/29/2016 11:09 am)

12/29/2016 11:19 am  #5

30th toughest...Dan Burt really does not mess around.

It's gameday.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/29/2016 3:56 pm  #6

Way to go, Dukes. It is always so much fun beating Pitt.

12/29/2016 4:14 pm  #7

Congratulations to Dan Burt and the team! Great work.

12/29/2016 4:21 pm  #8

dukes defeated pitt in 3 different sports this year, (the only three they played each other, I believe).

12/29/2016 4:52 pm  #9

School President Gormaley was in the huddle at half time - gave the ladies some positive reinforcement - might have been the BEST game for Brianna Thomas as a Duke - she knocked down some big threes and had some nice drives to the hoop -  Julianna was superb in the first half (had 14 then - didn't shoot much in the second half)  Chassidy hit some really big 3's to stop a Pitt Run (and a nifty scoop layup which forced Pitt to take a TO to stop the bleedin' (but dang the ref missed the fact that she was hacked on the play as well - but CAN'T have everything --  BEAT G.W.!!!!

12/29/2016 5:16 pm  #10

Duquesne brought out the brooms this winter! That's something we haven't been able to say in a longtime, if ever.

12/29/2016 5:46 pm  #11

The women won't be getting an at large bid this season, but maybe they can develop to the point where they can win the tournament in March.

12/29/2016 6:07 pm  #12

SkepticAl wrote:

School President Gormaley was in the huddle at half time - gave the ladies some positive reinforcement - might have been the BEST game for Brianna Thomas as a Duke - she knocked down some big threes and had some nice drives to the hoop -  Julianna was superb in the first half (had 14 then - didn't shoot much in the second half)  Chassidy hit some really big 3's to stop a Pitt Run (and a nifty scoop layup which forced Pitt to take a TO to stop the bleedin' (but dang the ref missed the fact that she was hacked on the play as well - but CAN'T have everything --  BEAT G.W.!!!!

Obviously a typo was made because of your excitement over beating Pitt again.  Duquesne's president is Ken Gormley, and he likes sports!  With the Duke's women's basketball team beating Pitt seven out of the last eight games, winning is becoming commonplace.

12/29/2016 6:45 pm  #13

Great win!    BTW.  I have a job still and I hate these afternoon games that I have to miss.  Please play at least this game at night.

12/29/2016 7:18 pm  #14

Did they recognize April at the game?

12/29/2016 7:19 pm  #15

duq81 wrote:

The women won't be getting an at large bid this season, but maybe they can develop to the point where they can win the tournament in March.

I think anyone can win the A10 this year.

12/29/2016 7:36 pm  #16

1,734 was the attendance today.  Easily the biggest crowd at Palumbo this year.

12/29/2016 8:36 pm  #17

While it is still early -  I think based on last year (DU blasting Seton Hall in the 8-9 game AND St Bonnie getting a win as well) the A-10 SHOULD have at least two teams in the Big Dance -  If the ladies can string enough league wins together and have a decent post season league tourney maybe they get that second bid.  

IT can be tough to evaluate the leagues from year to year - and I think MOST years the A-10 did get two bids -  according to one of the recent posters the Lady Dukes WERE the highest ranked team (despite the record) at the time.

12/29/2016 9:22 pm  #18

duqkurt wrote:

Did they recognize April at the game?

no

12/29/2016 9:49 pm  #19

Comments on this afternoon's women's basketball game from the Pitt fans' perspective:  https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/women-lost-to-duquesne-this-afternoon.104974/

12/29/2016 11:26 pm  #20

This was a great game. Dukes shot the ball really well and out rebounded Pitt.  Pitt just hung around the whole time.  Great crowd.  I see that the Dukes have played a lot of the girls.  This team is probably one of the top 4 team in the A10.  I would have been nice had they recognized April Robinson. She had a stellar career for the Dukes, but maybe one day they will.  Go Dukes!

12/30/2016 12:26 am  #21

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. I had the good fortune of attending Coach's Chalk Talk session before the game. He was candid and erudite in his explanations. When the women hit the two threes in a row to salt away the game, it was from an adjustment that Coach had talked about. Simply spectacular coaching. Simply spectacular guy. The eight year contract is too short. Sign Coach Burt for life. Good to see the support from President Gormley.  Oh, and Suzie whining in her radio post game about the Dukes being too physical was classic. Word on the street is she does not want to play the Dukes next year. Ha! Go Dukes!

12/30/2016 4:06 am  #22

12/30/2016 6:03 pm  #23

HookShot wrote:

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. I had the good fortune of attending Coach's Chalk Talk session before the game. He was candid and erudite in his explanations. When the women hit the two threes in a row to salt away the game, it was from an adjustment that Coach had talked about. Simply spectacular coaching. Simply spectacular guy. The eight year contract is too short. Sign Coach Burt for life. Good to see the support from President Gormley.  Oh, and Suzie whining in her radio post game about the Dukes being too physical was classic. Word on the street is she does not want to play the Dukes next year. Ha! Go Dukes!

I was wondering why Burt made a comment that these games needed to be played every year.  And Zeise was also talking about that.   She will look awful is she doesn't play the game. 

Her recuiting has left much to be desired at Pitt.

They way she treated Chassidy is going to haunt her for 4 years.

12/30/2016 6:42 pm  #24

Its great that we won the "City Game".  The game benefits Duquesne much more than it benefits Pitt for recruiting purposes.  Its fun because the proximity of the schools and the competitiveness of the game.  

Chassidy is playing at the right school.  She fits in very well with the Duquesne system.  

Let's put things in perspective.  We are the A10 and Pitt is the ACC.  The ACC is one of the top conferences in the country.  While we have done well in the A10, our conference is not as strong as the ACC.

I was glad to see the President at the game and very supportive of our program.  

Go Dukes!  Good luck this Sunday.  I'll be there rooting for you! Beat the GW.

12/31/2016 6:50 pm  #25

Keep losing and Susie may not be coaching at Pitt next year.

Board footera