Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2017 6:48 am  #1

GW game thread

Maybe I should pull a Jimmy Ferry and start to be interested when this team starts playing well.

Might not happen until years from now when the contract from hell expires.

1/17/2017 8:21 am  #2

Re: GW game thread

I just want to know if the team is still figuring it out on its own. If so, and they do start playing really well, will Jim just leave because he was superfluous in the first place?

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/18/2017 8:06 am  #3

7pm tip Wednesday the Smith Center. Per KenPom:
Dukes #209 (9-9; 2-3 T-7th) vs  George Washington #156 (9-9; 2-3 T-11th)
GW is ranked 11th of 14 in the A-10; Dukes ranked 12th of 14.
Game prediction: GW by 7, 75-68 - Dukes with a 26% probability of a win.

Key statistical note: GW is horrific defensively. In conference games, they are 14th by a wide margin in defensive efficiency (117.3), effective defensive FG% (57.7%), defensive 3 point % (44.8%) and they don't force many turnovers. Should play into the Dukes favor; curious to see how the Dukes execute on offense.

Opening betting line: GW by 7; current line GW by 8.5
GW 5-10 against the spread; Dukes 6-5 ATS.

1/18/2017 10:37 am  #4

Does anyone want to venture a guess on playing time for JRob. Mine is 10 minutes max. 😫😫😫😫

1/18/2017 12:00 pm  #5

The Dome wrote:

Does anyone want to venture a guess on playing time for JRob. Mine is 10 minutes max. 😫😫😫😫

Four and that's only if Sanders and Lewis are in foul trouble. He should get 15 to 20.

1/18/2017 1:06 pm  #6

Hoping JRob gets at least 15 minutes. Not betting that will happen! Watched his defense last game and thought he looked at least as good as any other big we have.

1/18/2017 7:06 pm  #7

Link isn't working 

Roll Dukes Roll

1/18/2017 7:17 pm  #8

currentstudent wrote:

Link isn't working 

Yeah, looks like it's behind a paywall.

1/18/2017 7:27 pm  #9

To get a working link go to the Duquesne women's site and click on their video link.  When that page loads, go to the menu on the right and choose men's basketball.  The game will come up.

1/18/2017 7:29 pm  #10

1/18/2017 7:32 pm  #11

Video now working. Dukes, not so much.

1/18/2017 7:39 pm  #12

Robinson finally!

1/18/2017 7:50 pm  #13

Robinson should be playing 35 minutes a game.  It is absolutely unbelievable that everyone who is not Ferry can see that Robinson should be playing. 

1/18/2017 8:00 pm  #14

WBB up 55-25 over STL at half

GWU appears to be a step faster more into the game
GW has 8 threes their high was 13 against the DC powerhouse Howard.

1/18/2017 8:59 pm  #15

Last second loss, Dukes made comeback, if there was a made three at buzzer by Castro and Dukes win, but not to be.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/18/2017 9:07 pm  #16

19% from 3, 54% from the line. That is how you lose a 2 point game.

1/18/2017 9:14 pm  #17

duq81 wrote:

19% from 3, 54% from the line. That is how you lose a 2 point game.

This is what you get in the Ferry era. I'm sure players will be tossed under the bus just as soon as he gets in front of reporters.

1/18/2017 9:22 pm  #18

Your team leader in rebounds - Jordan Robinson with 6 in 12 minutes (along with 7 points).

If they played defense in the first half (38 points) like they did in the second half (27 points), it would have been a different outcome.

The Dukes are certainly playing like the 13th best team in the conference (Fordham beat VCU tonight).

1/18/2017 9:45 pm  #19

Its not just that they shot 19% from three. Its that they shot 19% while attempting 21 threes. Had they shot 19% while shooting 8 threes, they could have been in the game before the last five minutes.

1/18/2017 9:50 pm  #20

I'd love the see the +/- for Jordan Robinson's time on the court. Its not just offense for this kid. They seemed to play better when he was on the floor in both halves, even though the team was just as likely to hoist up a three ball whether he was in or out. 

1/18/2017 9:53 pm  #21

Well, now they are 7 for 40 (17.5%) from 3 in the last two losses. Nice. 

1/18/2017 9:57 pm  #22

Duq81 regrettably you are soooo right, you too professor 1099.  I tuned in with about 10 minutes left in first half and we were down by 16 or so, then watched as we cut it to 9 at the half - which should have been 7 or 5 if we converted on about 3 possessions where we came up empty.  Anyway, as I was saying to another scarred long time supporter as we both watched on the computer, we have more talent than GW (once you get past their top 2) and should have won this game, period.  I actually thought Ferry managed the game pretty well in the second half, but you can't have the empty possessions (TO,s) shooting % or foul shooting misery and expect to win on the road - as noted by DU81.  One thing is also abundantly apparent - PLAY JROB!!!!  The results speak for themselves and although I missed most of the first half, I was told Lewis was the first big off the bench.  SOMEONE GIVE FERRY SOME SMELLING SALTS ABOUT PLAYING LEWIS AHEAD OF JROB!!! Ferry is starting to get it, but he is late in the understanding.  Maybe if JRob plays early we are not down by 16!!! 
P.S. Good to see TSmith hit some mid-range jumpers.

1/18/2017 10:00 pm  #23

You guys are rough. 

The team showed grit (and a bit of poise) tonight, JRob got some good run, Castro continues to be a factor, & Ferry made real, effective defensive adjustments that lead to some positive outcomes. 

This team mostly needs better shot selection & to maintain focus for 40 minutes. A whole bunch of that falls on the players. 

I would still be happy to see Ferry get fired at season's end but, tonight wasn't on him. 

1/18/2017 10:14 pm  #24

phil95 wrote:

You guys are rough. 

The team showed grit (and a bit of poise) tonight, JRob got some good run, Castro continues to be a factor, & Ferry made real, effective defensive adjustments that lead to some positive outcomes. 

This team mostly needs better shot selection & to maintain focus for 40 minutes. A whole bunch of that falls on the players. 

I would still be happy to see Ferry get fired at season's end but, tonight wasn't on him. 

Shooting all those threes is indeed on him. I could understand it last year, as Mason was an excellent 3 point shooter, and Colter was above average, but we don't have that this year. He has to get them to shoot fewer threes. I don't blame any coach for poor free throw shooting. That's mainly on the players. Two small things like better free throw shooting, and better shot selection is frequently the difference in half a dozen games for a mediocre team like the Dukes. I've seen many modestly talented teams overachieve due to great free throw shooting, and smart play. It's the difference between the 13-14 games this team will probably win, and the 18-19 they could have won. It's not like were being run off the floor every night. Four of those losses were right there to be taken, and we were competitive in a few more. Grab those four wins, and we're 13-6. Better coaching is the difference. This is not an outside shooting team. Ferry needs to see that.
Hope he finally has figured out that Robinson needs to play.

1/18/2017 10:31 pm  #25

rosceaux wrote:

I'd love the see the +/- for Jordan Robinson's time on the court. Its not just offense for this kid. They seemed to play better when he was on the floor in both halves, even though the team was just as likely to hoist up a three ball whether he was in or out. 

rosceaux, I haven't been able to find box scores with a +/-.  But Basketball Reference is starting to put individual player Offensive and Defensive ratings (per 100 possessions) in their advanced stats box scores.  Here's a link to the Dayton game: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2017-01-14-duquesne.html

This is not pure plus/minus as we know it.  But it shows that if J-Rob was on the court for 100 possessions, the Dukes would have scored 37 more points (140 OR vs 103 DR).  The Dayton game had 73.5 possessions; J-Rob played 20 minutes, so you could surmise that he was on the floor for 37 possessions - his plus for the game would have been around +14. 

Board footera