Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2017 9:58 pm  #1

New coach thread

Let's put all new coach speculation in this thread.

Another candidate is King Rice of Monmouth. He's a Tar Heel, who played under Dean Smith. It took him 4 years to have a modest 18-15 winning record, but in year five he won 28 games. This is his 6th year, and they are 18-5.

2/03/2017 10:08 pm  #2

Re: New coach thread

I mentioned him. I was surprised to see Monmouth with 18 wins.

2/03/2017 10:16 pm  #3

Earl Grant of the College Of Charleston has done a great job in 3 short years. He learned under Greg Marshall of Wichita, but he's from Charleston, and probably wouldn't leave for a job like Duquesne.

2/03/2017 10:42 pm  #4

Would anyone consider a guy like John Pelphrey, who's on the staff at Bama. He did a good job at South Alabama, but was fired at Arkansas after being only 10 games above .500 after 4 years?

2/03/2017 11:10 pm  #5

Not part of a coaching tree, but I'm throwing out John Becker of Vermont (19-5). 6th season at Vermont, going to be his 6th straight 20 win season. Assistant under Lonergan. http://www.uvmathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=893&path=mbball

2/03/2017 11:32 pm  #6

I'm pretty conflicted on the right path to take in a potential coaching search. There's really no tried and true method for finding a successful coach at a mid major program like ours. I guess I would prefer a coach with some heading coaching experience over a P5 assistant, but there are certainly some good assistants out there.

2/03/2017 11:33 pm  #7

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Not part of a coaching tree, but I'm throwing out John Becker of Vermont (19-5). 6th season at Vermont, going to be his 6th straight 20 win season. Assistant under Lonergan. http://www.uvmathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=893&path=mbball

Yeah. Still winning in his 6th year, so you can be sure it's not just a case of him inheriting a good team. Andy Toole hit the wall in his 6th year, so you have to be careful.

2/04/2017 8:55 am  #8

I really hope the things I have read from some people on this board are true, and Harper is much better at communicating with the student athletes, and he convinces Mike Lewis and I Mike to stay after the coaching change.

I will back track a little bit on my previous statement. IF, the young core stays and we get a good coach to come here, I may stick around, and there is a good chance that we have the talent to at least by .500 or so next year, then yes, but I am not putting up with a  cupboard is bare 8 win season as we begin the next Five Year Plan!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/04/2017 9:51 am  #9

Dukes2012 wrote:

I'm pretty conflicted on the right path to take in a potential coaching search. There's really no tried and true method for finding a successful coach at a mid major program like ours. I guess I would prefer a coach with some heading coaching experience over a P5 assistant, but there are certainly some good assistants out there.

Since we are at a bottom, why not try something different?  How about Becky Hammon or Nancy Lieberman?  Both are proven, tough competitors with NBA assistant experience.  Duquesne's best years were when it followed a different path by recruiting players other schools overlooked. 

Last edited by indygjm (2/04/2017 10:04 am)

2/04/2017 9:52 am  #10

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I really hope the things I have read from some people on this board are true, and Harper is much better at communicating with the student athletes, and he convinces Mike Lewis and I Mike to stay after the coaching change.

I will back track a little bit on my previous statement. IF, the young core stays and we get a good coach to come here, I may stick around, and there is a good chance that we have the talent to at least by .500 or so next year, then yes, but I am not putting up with a  cupboard is bare 8 win season as we begin the next Five Year Plan!

Agree with this. It's not like the guys on the team were bottom of the barrel recruits. We have several guys with decent pedigrees. Not enough to challenge for the top of the league, but no way should we be this bad. Keep these guys, and add a solid coach, and at the least, we ought be beating most of the teams we play ooc, and should be a tough out at home. That will get you 17-20 wins most years.

2/04/2017 10:02 am  #11

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Agree with this. It's not like the guys on the team were bottom of the barrel recruits. We have several guys with decent pedigrees. Not enough to challenge for the top of the league, but no way should we be this bad. Keep these guys, and add a solid coach, and at the least, we ought be beating most of the teams we play ooc, and should be a tough out at home. That will get you 17-20 wins most years.

I can think of 200 other coaches who would have 15-16 wins with the talent currently on the team. And they're all HS coaches. Anyone who would just use the kids' strengths and match up against the opponents (there really is a lot of versatility to this roster) instead of sticking to a failed philosophy.

2/04/2017 10:52 am  #12

How about something different...An Irish Catholic from the Empire State of NY. You know we are all dumb yinzers. Look how this worked out in the past Danny Née & ofcourse the brilliance of that NY team of CHUCK, THE QUINIPIAC CLOWN & the current coach who after 5 years continues to blame the previous coach. I think Coach Cal & The Miller boys may have played HS in Western Pa.? Call me crazy

2/04/2017 11:26 am  #13

indygjm wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Since we are at a bottom, why not try something different?  How about Becky Hammon or Nancy Lieberman?  Both are proven, tough competitors with NBA assistant experience.  Duquesne's best years were when it followed a different path by recruiting players other schools overlooked. 

That's one way to make a huge splash. Not a horrible idea, actually. Nancy lieberman's son sure made us look bad.

2/04/2017 11:45 am  #14

Ironduke81 wrote:

How about something different...An Irish Catholic from the Empire State of NY. You know we are all dumb yinzers. Look how this worked out in the past Danny Née & ofcourse the brilliance of that NY team of CHUCK, THE QUINIPIAC CLOWN & the current coach who after 5 years continues to blame the previous coach. I think Coach Cal & The Miller boys may have played HS in Western Pa.? Call me crazy

Scott Edgar was a local boy. Didn't work out too well.

2/04/2017 2:39 pm  #15

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Rick Pitino, Frank and Al McGwire, Pat Riley, Lou Carnesecca, Butch van Breda Kolff, Jim Valvano, Rollie Massimino, John Beilein, Gary Wiliams. All born in NY or NJ.  

2/04/2017 3:22 pm  #16

duq81 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Oh good point Chick, Dudey & Red..sorry forgot Dap but again to my point who was Edgar's & Daps boss ? What another New Yorker Brian Colleary.  You amuse me my friend.

2/04/2017 4:19 pm  #17

C'mon Iron Duke. We're all (or mostly; a few posters make me wonder) on the same side.

No Duquesne coach is in the hall of fame and the pinnacle of our existence in basketball is the 1955 NIT. Three years before I was born. Calipari is a cheater who has had NCAA Tournament teams vacated at two different schools. S. Miller is a ​ head. No one loves the city of Pittsburgh or its people more than me, but the answer is not going to be found within the city limits any time soon.

Peace.

2/04/2017 5:02 pm  #18

ElDuque wrote:

C'mon Iron Duke. We're all (or mostly; a few posters make me wonder) on the same side.

No Duquesne coach is in the hall of fame and the pinnacle of our existence in basketball is the 1955 NIT. Three years before I was born. Calipari is a cheater who has had NCAA Tournament teams vacated at two different schools. S. Miller is a ​ head. No one loves the city of Pittsburgh or its people more than me, but the answer is not going to be found within the city limits any time soon.

Peace.

Chick should be in the Hall. Guys from his era get penalized because they don't have a bunch of trips to the NCAA Tournament, which didn't exist during most of his run.

2/14/2017 7:48 am  #19

I know he failed at Alabama but what about Anthony grant? Anyone know where he is at right now?

2/14/2017 9:04 am  #20

Dukes2012 wrote:

I know he failed at Alabama but what about Anthony grant? Anyone know where he is at right now?

Assistant with the OKC Thunder. BTW, Google is your friend.

2/14/2017 9:09 am  #21

Dukes2012 wrote:

I could live with him or Jeff Capel, who actually first put VCU on the map. Those are guys to look at, as they're not that old.

2/14/2017 9:16 am  #22

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Assistant with the OKC Thunder. BTW, Google is your friend.

Wow you're pleasant.

2/14/2017 11:09 am  #23

duq81 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

I could live with him or Jeff Capel, who actually first put VCU on the map. Those are guys to look at, as they're not that old.

I don't think Jeff Capel is going from second in command at Duke (coached while Coach K was out for the surgery) to coming here. I'm sure he turns down HC offers every year, probably being groomed for the Duke job. Coach K is 70 now.

Kevin Keattes all day. He's my pick

2/14/2017 12:03 pm  #24

Comes down to $$$ and what up and comer is willing to risk his career here.  Thats what it is, a huge risk.  If any of the guys named above were to take the DU job, and the team continues to fail, his career is now at D2 schools, or an assistant at some directional school outside Omaha.  But, if he can turn it around, win 20 games, get a NIT final 4, or dare I say NCAA bid, then he can go anywhere he wants, P5 school, and for $$$$$
whoever it is, he wont be here long.

Last edited by townsonkid (2/14/2017 12:03 pm)

2/14/2017 12:15 pm  #25

Just change for the sake of change won't get it done. There must be a legit search committee that really understands what it is looking for. Not something where a snap decision just to have someone is a good idea. Without great thought and a diligent search, we very well could end up right where we are and that would be a disaster. Have no recommendations. Only that the search be systematic and thorough and include candidates from any level and either head or assistant coaches. Don't know of a prescription for sure success here. Just do the due diligence.

Board footera