Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2017 5:50 am  #1

Senior Day/THANKS #15

Saw that Sunday is going to be Senior Day for the Ladies --  A SPECIAL SHOUT-OUT TO AMADEA.

Let's look at some of her numbers/accomplishments

1,119 Career Points (or thereabouts)  600 plus Rebounds.
Three Year Starter -  Teams have played in the Post Season All 3 Years.

Here are some things that DON'T show up in the box score:
Frequently "the last line of defense" (tries to step in block shots/take charges after breakdowns by others)
Nearly every game she is matched up with someone bigger/stronger than herself - forcing her to use extra energy not only to block her opponent out on defense but struggle for position on offense.

Don't know how much of a mentor she is for the other European Players -- some things a 19 year old may be reluctant to talk about with staff etc -- Don't know if Julianna, Kadri-Ann, Nina, Enika -might gravitate to her automatically because she/they are Europeans.

Don't know if this might be the first time her parents would/could see her in person -- If they ARE at the game - might be nice to show THEM how much Amadea is appreciated.

BUT HERE'S HOPING ON SUNDAY THERE IS A LITTLE MORE THAN "a small round of applause from a small gathering"

Kudos to Brianna as well -  her playing time has never really been much but she has done a solid job throughout her career as well.

2/09/2017 9:04 pm  #2

Re: Senior Day/THANKS #15

Amadea's parents have been to the Palumbo Center for a game before and also saw her play again during the past Summer's foreign tour.

Her transformation has been fantastic, one which has been talked about a lot but cannot be understated.

Bri's progression has been more quiet but her on court knowledge has been a valuable asset these past two seasons. I could see her becoming a coach.

2/10/2017 6:15 am  #3

It feels like every year an all-time great graduates from this program. Suzie did a good job building this marvelous program and Dan Burt has done a great job to take it to the next level. Players like Amadea don't get the national recognition they deserve, but out here in NJ I'm darned proud to say they play for my alma mater.

I hear she has a big-time job lined up for after graduation, too.

Wow! Love stories like this!

2/11/2017 7:51 pm  #4

El Duque:  Last year around the time of the Selection Show - I remember mention of that Amadea having an Internship with one of the larger accounting firms) perhaps THIS resulted in the Job Offer you wondered about - or even placing THAT on the resume - Would have made her more attractive to perspective employers.    

2/11/2017 8:36 pm  #5

Amadea does in fact have a job waiting for her with a national accounting firm.

​She seems to not like a lot of personal attention.  When she was honored for her 1,000th point, once she was presented with the ball & posed for a photo with Coach Burt, she got off the court quickly & barely gave the applause a chance to build.  Start your standing ovation early when she's announced!

​The web site says that Erin Waskowiak will be also be recognized for Senior Day, so it seems clear that her career is over.  Like Michel Briere of the Penguins, an interesting case of what might have been.

2/12/2017 5:39 pm  #6

Women blow out a small and quick VCU team 70-51. 29 point first quarter sealed the game quickly. Congrats to Amadea, Breanna and Erin. It has been fun to watch them. Best of luck to them all!

2/12/2017 5:45 pm  #7

Guessing Erin graduating early and maybe looking to finish her career somewhere where she can start? Or maybe the injuries took that much of a toll? Either way I wish her all the best.

2/12/2017 5:48 pm  #8

Dan said postgame that Erin's playing career was over.

2/12/2017 6:57 pm  #9

zacharymweiss wrote:

Dan said postgame that Erin's playing career was over.

That's a shame.  That accident was awful but she never stoped fighting.  Congrats to her, Amadea and Brianna.

Anyone notice what Juliana V had been doing lately? She has been awesome.  Conor Richardson really improving too.  Has to stay out of foul trouble.   

Chassidy was Chassidy.  I watched some of the Pitt womens game. Lol.   Said it before and will say it again.  Chassidy is better than anything Pitt has.

Last edited by duqkurt (2/12/2017 7:15 pm)

2/12/2017 6:59 pm  #10

From a source, Amadea is an excellent student and had her pick of job offers.  One remarkable young woman and a credit to Coach Burt and the women's basketball program.

2/12/2017 7:18 pm  #11

I watched Coach Burts pressed after the game.   And he was talking about Dayton. 

The best thing about the women's success is they have actual rivalries.  Dayton, GW, and Bonas.  And to a lesser extent St Joe's (who seems to get the best of us) and URI and SLU (who we play well against).

It is nice watching a successful program

2/12/2017 8:47 pm  #12

Great for the Seniors.  They've had a great 4 years.  Amadea has really played well over the years. Much improvement year after year.  Its good seeing the team really start to click.  Julianna has really blossomed this season to become an excellent player and leader.  
I also agree that Conner has been excelling as well.

We aren't worried about PITT.  We are worried about the Dukes playing better every game.  Go Dukes!

2/12/2017 9:09 pm  #13

Eat 💩 Pitt!

2/12/2017 10:38 pm  #14

this team is dangerous. and they are clicking.

the slow start means the NIT or the NCAA isn't necessarily in the cards unless they make a deep run. but this team is very capable of making that deep run.

the win means there's a great chance the dukes will host the 1st round of the a10 in palumbo.

@dayton, who's still #1 but GW just held them to 39 points. we'll have a fighter's chance.
then @URI, who's god-awful, then host the bonnies, who are just normally awful.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

2/13/2017 6:27 am  #15

Watched GW-Dayton Ladies game yesterday - GW won at home - Both Teams Really Struggled on Offense - Played EXCELLENT defense -- Interesting comment from one of the announcers -  Said Both teams have SHOOTERS what they need is MAKERS

2/13/2017 1:28 pm  #16

yak-rbc wrote:

this team is dangerous. and they are clicking.

the slow start means the NIT or the NCAA isn't necessarily in the cards unless they make a deep run. but this team is very capable of making that deep run.

the win means there's a great chance the dukes will host the 1st round of the a10 in palumbo.

@dayton, who's still #1 but GW just held them to 39 points. we'll have a fighter's chance.
then @URI, who's god-awful, then host the bonnies, who are just normally awful.

A couple of things here...

The Dukes should host an A10 tourney game agreed.  They should take care of business against an awful URI team and then beat a very young St Bona team who hasn't learned how to play on the road yet.

An NIT berth is possible.  I could do a WNIT-ology if people would like.  But the Dukes would certainly be in consideration with a 2-1 finish and a trip to the semifinals given their OOC schedule.  Then again, so will Charlotte and Buffalo and those would all be 3 of the last 10 in list if I had one (along with our Dukes).  Even St Joe's and Fordham have a shot at the WNIT.

Board footera