Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2017 3:54 pm  #1

Dukes lose, 71-69, to worst team in the A-10

I believe that something is seriously wrong with the Duquesne women's team, 14-14 (7-8), to lose to previously winless (in the A-10) Rhode Island, 5-22 (1-14)!  Getting to be selected to play in the WNIT seems to be very remote.  Even if the Dukes were to beat the Bonnies in the final regular season game and win three games in the A-10 Tournament, I think it still would be a very long shot for them to get into the WNIT.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/2016-17/boxscores/20170218_jb5q.xml 

Last edited by godukes1970 (2/18/2017 5:55 pm)

2/18/2017 4:51 pm  #2

Re: Dukes lose, 71-69, to worst team in the A-10

I agree this team has had some individuals improve and others regress; but as a team they appear to falling apart.  I didn't see today's game; so please enlighten me as to how they gave up 70 to a winless team and blow a modest 6 point lead going into the 4th qtr?

2/18/2017 5:33 pm  #3

levon1975 wrote:

I agree this team has had some individuals improve and others regress; but as a team they appear to falling apart. I didn't see today's game; so please enlighten me as to how they gave up 70 to a winless team and blow a modest 6 point lead going into the 4th qtr?

I didn't watch the game but I followed the game's progress on Rhode Island's live statistics, Presto Stats.  Well for some unknown reason Presto Stats did the mannequin and froze around the 6 minute to-go mark in the 4th Q and never caught up with the game's action.  Therefore, I'm unable to describe the melt-down.   Coach Dan can't be pleased with the outcome of this game. 

2/18/2017 8:12 pm  #4

This was a devastating loss today to a team that had not won a conference game.  I have followed this team all season.  It seems there is too much inconsistency.  Coach keeps rotating the line ups.  The ladies need to play as a team.  This is definitely not last years team.  There are going to be a lot of growing pains.   Dukes just need to finish strong.  I don't think that playing in the WNIT or the NCAA is going to happen, but you never know.  You have to play the game.  Go Dukes!

2/18/2017 10:32 pm  #5

As touched upon, the two major inconsistencies are steady shooting and too many turnovers. Yet, the future is bright. We forget the team has 11 freshman and sophomores. Not once has this been used as an excuse, by the way!

2/19/2017 9:34 am  #6

What makes this loss hurt more is that Duquesne led by 12 points with just under four minutes to play in the third quarter. When you are playing the worst team in the A-10, that should be an automatic win. Instead, based on the fourth quarter run (I did not see the game) the team got com placement and let URI back in it.

This is the third not so great road loss in conference play. Duquesne had no reason to lose to UMass or St Bonaventure and this Rhode Island loss is the worst of the three.

Duquesne is fortunate to be seventh in conference play, meaning a win Tuesday against St. Bonaventure allows them to host a first round A-10 Championship game.

If Duquesne loses to a Bonaventure team that is not good on the road then Duquesne must rely on either VCU to lose at home against Davidson or Richmond to lose at home to GW.

A win Tuesday is critical because this team has not shown me that it can consistently win away from AJP in conference play. Duquesne beat George Washington and La Salle on the road, two good teams but a 2-6 A-10 road record is not good enough for a team that has consistently been among the A-10's best.

You don't want to say the season comes down to Tuesday, that may seem a little harsh but to an extent it does because of the road struggles.

A loss Tuesday may mean no postseason unless something magical happens come A-10 Championship time. Amadea Szamosi and Brianna Thomas deserve at least postseason berth for what they have contributed to the team, I just hope for their sakes it is not too late.

2/26/2017 9:20 am  #7

Never fear while Dan's here.  Scuttlebutt around the league:  combo of Chass and Juli solidifies Dukes w/best A-10 backcourt all the way into 2019.   Dan's all smiles. 

Board footera