Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2017 1:17 pm  #1

We do not have a new coach

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/845337975500214273

"James Whitford is staying at Ball State and is no longer a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Duquesne, per sources."

Back to the drawing board...

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/24/2017 1:19 pm  #2

Re: We do not have a new coach

yak-rbc wrote:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/845337975500214273

"James Whitford is staying at Ball State and is no longer a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Duquesne, per sources."

Back to the drawing board...

Jesus H. Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am so sick of this!  Bye guys, I'll be back in two months when we finally hire the head coach of CCAC Boyce!

I can't take this anymore. I am so disgusted at how far our program has fallen and how Amodio, Dougherty and Ferry have basically destroyed it!!!!!!!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/24/2017 1:21 pm  #3

https://twitter.com/MrEightball_/status/845338703107166209

After much Prayer and thought with myself and my family I have asked Duquesne University for permission to contact other schools "

also mike lewis 2 is on his way out

Last edited by yak-rbc (3/24/2017 1:21 pm)

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/24/2017 1:22 pm  #4

this sucks

3/24/2017 1:24 pm  #5

That was bound to happen - the players waited to see who they would get - they are tired of waiting, and now they will move on.  Nothing one can do about that.

3/24/2017 1:28 pm  #6

What a freaking disaster, I'm really close to saying screw this.

3/24/2017 1:31 pm  #7

Disappointed in the ML II news, not nearly as shaken up over Whitford. 

This process has been a mess and these leaks have to stop. 

3/24/2017 1:35 pm  #8

Brian wrote:

Disappointed in the ML II news, not nearly as shaken up over Whitford. 

This process has been a mess and these leaks have to stop. 

Yeah, especially when it's ESPN and Jeff Goodman.

Also I would be disappointed it wasn't Whitford, if you haven't noticed every time we get turned down we seem to go another rung down the ladder in terms of coaching talent.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/24/2017 1:40 pm)

3/24/2017 1:37 pm  #9

I got to tell you it feels to me like someone in the Athletic Department is leaking information to undermine the AD and the search.  It is long over due for Harper to clean house of all the Amdio cronies.

3/24/2017 1:38 pm  #10

You know what, I was lurking on the Pitt board, and someone mentioned Joe Lombardi from IUP. At this point, I'd take a look at him. His record is superb, and he's been an assistant at the D1 level. What do we have to lose at this point? He has extensive A10 experience as well. (Bona, LaSalle)

3/24/2017 1:41 pm  #11

lombardi was a name we brought up as a potential candidate really early right after ferry got the axe

3/24/2017 1:43 pm  #12

And with all of this good news, I am hanging my DO NOT DISTURB sign, here and on Twitter.

Someone text or email me when this is over.

3/24/2017 1:44 pm  #13

This is an absolute train wreck!!

3/24/2017 1:52 pm  #14

duq81 wrote:

You know what, I was lurking on the Pitt board, and someone mentioned Joe Lombardi from IUP. At this point, I'd take a look at him. His record is superb, and he's been an assistant at the D1 level. What do we have to lose at this point? He has extensive A10 experience as well. (Bona, LaSalle)

I was open to him when he was a listed candidate in 2012. His son was on the staff here this season and no one was retained, so it is fair to ask would he even come here with what is going on right now?

3/24/2017 1:55 pm  #15

CLK wrote:

I got to tell you it feels to me like someone in the Athletic Department is leaking information to undermine the AD and the search.  It is long over due for Harper to clean house of all the Amdio cronies.

Sad, but almost feel like every person close to this search internally needs to be given a unique, false, smoke screen name and see what gets leaked.

It is the same pattern of saying someone is close or a done deal and it is becoming apparent they are interviews which makes all look bad.

3/24/2017 1:59 pm  #16

Seems like we are witnessing the slow, cruel death of a program that was on life support.

This is extremely depressing.

3/24/2017 2:01 pm  #17

Brian wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I was open to him when he was a listed candidate in 2012. His son was on the staff here this season and no one was retained, so it is fair to ask would he even come here with what is going on right now?

He has nothing to lose by coming here. The fact that he's never gotten a D1 job makes you realize that a D1 assistant, which is what he was, should never take a D2 job. I always thought it was a good move for an assistant coach to prove himself as a head coach, but I guess you become tainted if you drop down to D2 to get that job.

3/24/2017 2:01 pm  #18

Duques102 wrote:

Seems like we are witnessing the slow, cruel death of a program that was on life support.

This is extremely depressing.

I honestly did not think this would get worse, but I'm starting to question if remaining emotionally engaged is even worth it anymore

3/24/2017 2:05 pm  #19

At this point the university needs to make some sort of statement. They are getting absolutely destroyed by the media and have had nothing to say since this disaster started.

3/24/2017 2:09 pm  #20

Lombardi satisfies the basic requirements of being a head coach and 
A10 experience.
He is 58 years old.  
If he is given a 6 year contract, this would take him to possible retirement.
Someone has to be head coach.  He would probably have the support from the public and media and expectations would be low.
He certainly would be affordable.
I would prefer some of the earlier candidates but at this point Harper is running out of options.

3/24/2017 2:18 pm  #21

Econ69 wrote:

A10 experience.
He is 58 years old.  
Someone has to be head coach.  He would probably have the support from the public and media and expectations would be low.
I would prefer some of the earlier candidates but at this point Harper is running out of options.

I would rather rehire Ferry. If Lombardi is the best we can do, we should just drop down to D2 so we won't get laughed at and then we can have one the best coaches in the country at that level!

We could be a power 5 d2 program!

3/24/2017 2:26 pm  #22

Duques102 wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

A10 experience.
He is 58 years old.  

I would rather rehire Ferry. If Lombardi is the best we can do, we should just drop down to D2 so we won't get laughed at and then we can have one the best coaches in the country at that level!

I wouldn't hold coaching at IUP against Lombardi. Linc Darner beat Lombardi's IUP in the 2015 D2 title game and the next year was coaching Green Bay to the dance out of the Horizon League. Nathan Davis and Dave Paulsen were hired at Bucknell from D3 schools. The PSAC, as well as West Virginia's D2 conference are high level D2 leagues and Lombardi has experience coaching and recruiting talented players such as JR Bremmer to Bona and Rasual Butler to LaSalle among others. 

3/24/2017 2:30 pm  #23

Brian wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

A10 experience.
He is 58 years old.  

I wouldn't hold coaching at IUP against Lombardi. Linc Darner beat Lombardi's IUP in the 2015 D2 title game and the next year was coaching Green Bay to the dance out of the Horizon League. Nathan Davis and Dave Paulsen were hired at Bucknell from D3 schools. The PSAC, as well as West Virginia's D2 conference are high level D2 leagues and Lombardi has experience coaching and recruiting talented players such as JR Bremmer to Bona and Rasual Butler to LaSalle among others. 

That's all fine and good, but what did we hear about when the coaching change was made? Multi Million dollar renovations, million dollar salary for the next guy, young core returning (which will be gone), houndreds of thousands for major search firm to aide in process.

None of that says hire the d2 coach from down the road. If Ferry couldn't make the jump from NEC to A10, I'm sure this guy will be a great fit.

3/24/2017 2:41 pm  #24

Duques102 wrote:

Brian wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

That's all fine and good, but what did we hear about when the coaching change was made? Multi Million dollar renovations, million dollar salary for the next guy, young core returning (which will be gone), houndreds of thousands for major search firm to aide in process.

None of that says hire the d2 coach from down the road. If Ferry couldn't make the jump from NEC to A10, I'm sure this guy will be a great fit.

It is fair to wonder if he'd do well as it is fair to ask of any potential hire. He may do well like previous coaches I mentioned or would unfortunately, be out of his league like Kim Anderson was going from D2 Central Missouri to Mizzou. Generally, IUP has played defense so I'd hope he'd at least be an upgrade there.

The renovations and salary offerings don't appear to be official so maybe it is another leak meant to raise expectations amongst us but may not be rooted in reality making it all the more disappointing.

3/24/2017 5:03 pm  #25

CLK wrote:

Agreed...he is being undermined...probably by someone who thinks he/she is on the way out.  Duquesne has more leaks than the CIA.

Board footera