Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2017 5:40 pm  #1

If you could turn back the clock?

After this carnage with the loss of players and still no coach; do you still think firing Jim Ferry looks like a good move?  This is what many of you wanted, correct?

The only excuse for this delay would be if they are waiting for a guy whose team is still playing; but I cannot imagine who that would be.

3/25/2017 5:46 pm  #2

Re: If you could turn back the clock?

NO one who is still playing would be even remotely interested in this job.  Harper went all in on a pair of fives and the entire table called his bluff.

If it is indeed true that all but four players are left, and our three top recruits all bail, I don't care I am done! Not going to watch 5 and 6 win seasons the next two years as whatever C minus level coach Harper gets in here tries to figure it out!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/25/2017 5:52 pm  #3

Have been thinking a lot about this question this week, I wasn't a Ferry supporter but I always thought one more year would have helped. Maybe we would've been able to show some improvement and if he was let go then maybe we avoid becoming a laughing stock.

I hope this turns out to be the right call, it was what the people wanted.

As an aside, Mark Titus' (The Ringer) twitter account is the best thing to come out of this, I've been a fan for a long time and it's too funny to see him acting as if he's coaching the Dukes. At this point I'd be alright if we sent him an offer

Last edited by Jackdoc13 (3/25/2017 6:05 pm)

3/25/2017 6:01 pm  #4

This is pretty sad, and I honestly never thought I'd say this, in fact if everyone left and we hired a good coach I wouldn't say this:

Knowing what we know now, I think it could be seriously argued that we should have given Ferry one more year.

Coming from someone who was thrilled when he was let go. 😞

Posted this is I Mike thread.

3/25/2017 6:12 pm  #5

With Ferry, his roster and recruits, my guess would be (at best) 11th place in the A10 next year.

​Would I see that as improvement in year 6? No. Jim Ferry is not cut out to coach at this level. I'd wait until someone is hired, we see who he recruits, and how they play next year before we assess whether Jim Ferry and his roster would have been preferable.

3/25/2017 6:14 pm  #6

ElDuque wrote:

With Ferry, his roster and recruits, my guess would be (at best) 11th place in the A10 next year.

​Would I see that as improvement in year 6? No. Jim Ferry is not cut out to coach at this level. I'd wait until someone is hired, we see who he recruits, and how they play next year before we assess whether Jim Ferry and his roster would have been preferable.

I agree with that but on our current trajectory a winning season looks far, far away.

3/25/2017 6:14 pm  #7

Please, everyone recognized the risk of Lewis and Mike transferring when Ferry was fired.  Harper even acknowledged that in his interview.  At this point it has not even been two weeks since Ferry was fired.  The time to ask this question is after we know who Harper hires.  As far as the roster, I count 5 returning player:  Castro, Smith, Littleson, JRob & James.  We had two guys leave on Ferry who were open scholarships.  We have three graduating, and at this point only three transferring.  

The decision of firing Ferry was a correct one.  My only disappointment is the way information was leaked and how the search has been handled so far in the media.   I will reserve my judgement until after I see who is hired. 

Last edited by CLK (3/25/2017 6:30 pm)

3/25/2017 6:21 pm  #8

I agree with you CLK, we will have to wait and see what happens, but the guys leaving could have been avoided if we hired someone sooner.  I question the search firm in that should they not have told Harper we go after one of the hot names, but if 1 or 2 say NO you'll need to get someone in who wants to be here who can then salvage the Mike's and maybe a recruit or two.  I still agree about what you say though.  Anyway, shouldn't JRob also be returning?  That would be 5 from the current roster.  The problem for the new Coach will be balancing recruiting classes as it looks like he will have to offer a lot of guys just to field a friggin team.

***yes I fixed my post above to add JRob, thanks - CLK***

Last edited by CLK (3/25/2017 6:23 pm)

3/25/2017 6:23 pm  #9

CLK wrote:

Please, everyone recognized the risk of Lewis and Mike transferring when Ferry was fired.  Harper even acknowledged that in his interview.  At this point it has not even been two weeks since Ferry was fired.  The time to ask this question is after we know who Harper hires.  As far as the roster, I count 5 returning player:  Castro, Smith, Littleson & James.  We had two guys leave on Ferry who were open scholarships.  We have three graduating, and at this point only three transferring.  

The decision of firing was a correct one.  My only disappointment is the way information was leaked and how the search has been handled so far in the media.   I will reserve my judgement until after I see is hired. 

This is all a fair assessment, I admit I may be losing some perspective due to the onslaught of bad news this week.

Are you at all concerned that it seems to be quiet on the coach search hunt? Could either mean the leaks have finally been plugged or they ran through their list and are scrambling to compile more names to go after

3/25/2017 6:26 pm  #10

Jackdoc13, I am hoping it is the leaks are plugged.

3/25/2017 6:27 pm  #11

class balance could be achieved by securing a couple of grad transfers , a juco or 2 and a couple or 3  freshman.

as for the quality of what is currently available , dubious at best.

3/25/2017 6:27 pm  #12

All of this would have happened next year. Does anyone really think Ferry would have turned it around enough in one year to get any type of extension? If he didn't, he would have been fired next year, and we'd be in the same place. Might as well start the process now.

3/25/2017 6:34 pm  #13

Fair point 81, but maybe we get a new coach quicker then.

3/25/2017 6:36 pm  #14

PistolPete wrote:

Fair point 81, but maybe we get a new coach quicker then.

And I think locking a coach in quicker increases the possibility the Mikes/recruits stick around

3/25/2017 6:40 pm  #15

duq81 wrote:

All of this would have happened next year. Does anyone really think Ferry would have turned it around enough in one year to get any type of extension? If he didn't, he would have been fired next year, and we'd be in the same place. Might as well start the process now.

Potentially he may have had a bit of a turnaround. Enough to satisfy Harper and crew - who knows for sure.

Assume the current projected roster of 11 ( 8 returnees and 3 incoming frosh ) remains intact and some improvement is made in their level of play. In the spring he hits on 1 of the 2 open spots.

Here it gets a bit dicey.  He would have to change his philosophy a bit and commit to a lineup of 3 bigs and 2 smalls for the majority of the time ( i.e Sanders , Mike , Walker , Smith / Wheeler and Lewis ) . He would have to  play a more pressure based "D" and try and get some easy scores of turnovers.

Most importantly he has to stress winning in the non-conference part of the schedule. No more of this just sit back , roll the balls out , and see what happens.  Coach like you are coaching for your career - because you are !!! 

I am guessing the league may take a step back next year .  We may have been on the ascent.

Can a leopard change his spots - who knows ?? 

Hence , the "possibility "exists but it is far from a certainty.

3/25/2017 6:44 pm  #16

I would have fired him before his extension if I had click control!  It was the right move.

3/25/2017 6:57 pm  #17

You can't turn back the clock.   But then again you would have thought the coaching search would not have turned into this debacle.   

Approaching Dambrot after the last time was just plain stupid.   

We are going to end up with a scrub like Driscoll.  Which we could have had last week at this time and be spared being the laughingstock of college basketball.   

But when you have jokers running everything, why did we expect a different result?

3/25/2017 7:04 pm  #18

ElDuque wrote:

That wasn't my question.  I asked how people feel right now!  I hope things get better by next year as well; but it's just a blank canvas again.

3/25/2017 7:04 pm  #19

My 2 points early on were that they would not fire Ferry and that people would be surprised at the kind and type of coach who would come here.

Certainly not a Ferry fan but I said that because of the recruits we had - the Mikes - & recruits coming. I said that because I didn't believe they would think firing him would be a good idea because there would be little interest in a good new coach coming. We would at best get a reclamation project. But when they did I was fine with that since I assumed they had a direction unlike the mess that was GA. Maybe they do.  I think now the only one who makes sense is Rice

3/25/2017 7:08 pm  #20

We do such a great job with hiring these external firms to handle things.  Learfield fell asleep at the wheel and we are behind RMU on the radio.

Now this search firm.   

I firmly being these are internal leaks.   Harper is a fool if he doesn't get rid of the remaining Amodio cronies. 

Hightower
Racciot
Saba
Colonna
Derda (who convinently negotiated a contract with Learfield and then went to work for them)

Clean house Harper!!!!

Last edited by duqkurt (3/25/2017 7:11 pm)

3/25/2017 10:58 pm  #21

Q- "do you still think firing Jim Ferry looks like a good move? "

Yes - Turn back the clock & keep turning for 5 years.
He was never the right hire.

3/26/2017 12:51 am  #22

Box & One wrote:

Q- "do you still think firing Jim Ferry looks like a good move? "

Yes - Turn back the clock & keep turning for 5 years.
He was never the right hire.

Hell, since we have a time machine, let's turn back the clock to 1974, and let's hire Al Bailey when Red retires. Better yet, let's hire Jim Calhoun when Rice is fired.

3/26/2017 9:01 am  #23

No turning back the clock for me.  It was the right move.  If Ferry's players leave & his recruits decommit, so what?  We knew what we were getting with Ferry:
1. No defense.
2. Blowing leads in the 2nd half after the other team makes adjustments & we fail to readjust.
3. Late in close games, the other team makes plays & we make mistakes.
4. Uptempo basketball with 5 guys playing 38 minutes, exhausted at crunch time.

When Ferry came here, he talked incessantly about "the way I want to play."  He wasn't going to change just because the team just went 10-22.  That wasn't his fault, according to him.

There were people who wanted Danny Nee retained because of the recruits he had coming in when he was fired.  Those kids went elsewhere, as did his entire roster except for Ajax & Achara.  But Ron Everhart turned it around & now we have to hope for a new coach who can turn it around again.

At some point, Duquesne really does need to get to the point where we keep a coach for a very long time.  But when it's obvious that you have the wrong guy, like Ferry, you have to cut your losses & move on.

3/26/2017 9:33 am  #24

Officer Dribble wrote:

There were people who wanted Danny Nee retained because of the recruits he had coming in when he was fired.  Those kids went elsewhere, as did his entire roster except for Ajax & Achara.  But Ron Everhart turned it around & now we have to hope for a new coach who can turn it around again.

And of course that leads us to the pachyderm in the sub-section of the walled domicile, they went ahead and fired that same coach! Dave Harper is going to have an incredibly difficult time selling that to any coach worth his salt that things are different, and that things on the Bluff really are different after forty years of idiocy!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/26/2017 10:39 am  #25

There is nothing that Ferry accomplished here that would earn him another minute.

Board footera