Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2017 1:00 pm  #1

Okay now that we have a coach...

What about the players?
Can some one get a clear list of all players that are staying, players that are transferring in, and players that have an offer from Duquesne. Also I hope we can retain Mike Lewis II.

Roll Dukes Roll

3/28/2017 1:16 pm  #2

Re: Okay now that we have a coach...

http://duquesnefans.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2023

this is up-to-date to the best of my knowledge. so far, none of the 3 players or Wheeler/Walker have swayed one or the other. The players met the coach as a team today and will meet individually later on

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/28/2017 1:38 pm  #3

I don't believe that anyone's been released from their scholarship or LOI just yet. Of course they'll have to meet with the new coaching staff and make sure there's mutual interest. PSN had a write-up on some of the players that Dambrot has offered. It looks like Akron assistants Charles Thomas and Rick McFadden have followed Dambrot to Duquesne. 

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/03/28/duquesnedambrot-adds-first-player-makes-offers/

3/28/2017 1:55 pm  #4

I believe Lewis started to follow Dambrot on twitter after the announcement. A visit from Lebron may sway some interest...

Last edited by Ifky 07 (3/28/2017 1:55 pm)

3/28/2017 1:58 pm  #5

OK lets look at the numbers.  Right now DU has 5 returning players (Castro, James, Smith, Littleson, and JRob), and three players who have asked for releases (Mike, Sanders & Lewis).  We have three signed recruits, of which two have asked for releases.  

So assuming those who have requested releases do not return to DU we have: 5 returning + 1 transfer + 1 signed = 7 scholarships accounted for.  That leaves 6 open scholarships.

My hope is that Mike, Sanders and Lewis will reconsider and return to DU.  Guess we will have to wait to see how that plays out.  If they do not I suspect that Coach Dambrot may look at some JUCOs and grad transfers to balance out the classes.

3/28/2017 2:00 pm  #6

Does anyone know if Castro and/or J-Rob are or will be eligible to grad transfer? 

Last edited by Brian (3/28/2017 2:00 pm)

3/28/2017 2:06 pm  #7

The footballer Kellen Taylor should still be available also.

3/28/2017 2:08 pm  #8

I believe Kellon is a scholarship football player but counts as a walk-on for the basketball team.

3/28/2017 2:20 pm  #9

CLK wrote:

OK lets look at the numbers.  Right now DU has 5 returning players (Castro, James, Smith, Littleson, and JRob), and three players who have asked for releases (Mike, Sanders & Lewis).  We have three signed recruits, of which two have asked for releases.  

So assuming those who have requested releases do not return to DU we have: 5 returning + 1 transfer + 1 signed = 7 scholarships accounted for.  That leaves 6 open scholarships.

My hope is that Mike, Sanders and Lewis will reconsider and return to DU.  Guess we will have to wait to see how that plays out.  If they do not I suspect that Coach Dambrot may look at some JUCOs and grad transfers to balance out the classes.

I monitor these guys social media fairly often just to try to stay up on what's going on with them. I am encouraged by what I have seen from them in the last couple days.

3/28/2017 2:21 pm  #10

Gents before you all go crazy over a rooster maybe you should think for a moment about "style of play". I know on several occasions ED and myself talked about a inability to properly evaluate players in Ferry's up tempo run and gun. IMHO that's not going to fly and a few of our guys who had NO interest in playing defense or not hoisting the 25 footers may not fit. Once again IMHO I don't see Dambrot pulling a Stallings.

3/28/2017 2:23 pm  #11

One transfer from Akron. So two open scholarships. I won't count Lewis, Mike and Sanders out until I hear officially they have selected new schools.

3/28/2017 2:31 pm  #12

Also the offers that we have added in the last 24 hours...they don't seem to have too much hype on youtube and the internet. Is that just because he was recruiting  for a school in the MAC? I am guessing down the line we will start getting the recruits the we are used to getting with JF.

Also what about Spencer Littleton...still think he will be good in his Jr. and Sen. seasons 

Roll Dukes Roll

3/28/2017 2:37 pm  #13

Most of the offers are 2018 kids. Robinson, Castro and James graduate, so three open that year.

3/28/2017 2:41 pm  #14

The Dome wrote:

Gents before you all go crazy over a rooster maybe you should think for a moment about "style of play". I know on several occasions ED and myself talked about a inability to properly evaluate players in Ferry's up tempo run and gun. IMHO that's not going to fly and a few of our guys who had NO interest in playing defense or not hoisting the 25 footers may not fit. Once again IMHO I don't see Dambrot pulling a Stallings.

I think the important thing to remember is no matter how talented one guy or another is, the reality is that one player won't make the difference at Duquesne. If this program is really going to turn around, it is going to require systematic changes from the top down of the whole department. Its not just players, or coaches, or harper, or the ad staff, it takes everyone moving together in the same direction to make this work.

All of the pieces have to be in place, another great quote from Harpers interview today, "we will be in a situation where we can check off every box any other program in this league can check off" we know that has not been the case for us in the past. You can at least see that momentum now.

That being said I hope we can keep our guys and recruits, it will make the revamp easier and likely happen quicker. I also truly believe Harper and Dambrot are the caliber of individuals who could talk them into buying into the "new du hoops" and everything that entails.

3/28/2017 2:46 pm  #15

currentstudent wrote:

Also the offers that we have added in the last 24 hours...they don't seem to have too much hype on youtube and the internet. Is that just because he was recruiting  for a school in the MAC? I am guessing down the line we will start getting the recruits the we are used to getting with JF.

Also what about Spencer Littleton...still think he will be good in his Jr. and Sen. seasons 

Not sure what you are saying Collins is a big time athlete.  He would be a tremendous get for the Dukes if we can still get in the mix and convince him to come here.  Patton seems to me to be under recruited as an All Ohio player 

Information on Jack Ballantyne.  Looks like a nice prospect at 6'9".

https://www.todaysu.com/mac/akron-pursues-2017-power-forward-jack-ballantyne/

Last edited by CLK (3/28/2017 2:53 pm)

3/28/2017 2:52 pm  #16

Did anyone check out Dylan Swingle? Could be the next coming of the big Gonzaga dude.

3/28/2017 2:57 pm  #17

ElDuque wrote:

Did anyone check out Dylan Swingle? Could be the next coming of the big Gonzaga dude.

That was my thought as well, did you see how small the basketball looked in his hands in some of those pictures??? He'd be a good get too, highly rated for his position with a good bit of power 5/interest and offers.

http://247sports.com/Player/Dylan-Swingle-82284

Has been recruited by Pitt, Xavier, and Ohio state. Has an offer from West Virginia.

Collins looks like he would be a great get to me too.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/28/2017 2:59 pm)

3/28/2017 3:09 pm  #18

And he's what? 16-17 years old?

3/28/2017 3:18 pm  #19

ElDuque wrote:

And he's what? 16-17 years old?

That's a man child haha.

3/28/2017 3:29 pm  #20

currentstudent wrote:

I am not going to criticize dambrot for his recruiting practices because he has a fantastic record of finding and developing under the radar talent. However, I am confident that over time he will find that he has access to a different caliber of player in the Atlantic 10 than he did in the MAC.

3/28/2017 3:31 pm  #21

The interesting thing will be how Coach D can bring the returning players into his system, and the ones that don't fit and which overlooked seniors will get more PT.

I think we may have a few disappointed lads and possibly a surprise or two.

When you go 10-22 you have a lot to prove you can be the ones to turn it around.

I wish this Coach well and will be patient to give him time to in essence, rebuild a loser into success .

A diehard fan since 1961

3/28/2017 3:40 pm  #22

Brian wrote:

Does anyone know if Castro and/or J-Rob are or will be eligible to grad transfer? 

Both will complete their fourth year of college in May so would think both are on target to graduate.Not sure how they could have maintained academic eligibility otherwise if they're not making such progress towards a degree. Though if not all of Castro's Butler credits transferred over or either guy changed his major/degree program somewhere along the line, then maybe that would change things, I really don't know. If they graduate, they will be eligible to graduate-transfer out and play somewhere else next year for their final seasons of college eligibility. The fact that we haven't heard that either was leaving makes me wonder if both have been waiting to see how everything shakes out with the new coach. I can't imagine either would have stuck around under Ferry if he was on target to graduate this year.

3/28/2017 3:46 pm  #23

Dennis, I think I read somewhere that Coach Dambrot prefers four year players, so he may not go the senior transfer route. But information has been flying fast and furious so I may not be 100% accurate there.

Dukes 2012, I'm also confidant that Coach Dambrot is aware of the "level" change in conferences. I think it will work in his favor. Guy hasn't even been announced yet and recruits are already being lined up. Wow!

3/28/2017 3:57 pm  #24

ED, I was talking about whether Jordan Robinson and Rene Castro may graduate-transfer out for next year. 

3/28/2017 4:19 pm  #25

DennisC91 wrote:

ED, I was talking about whether Jordan Robinson and Rene Castro may graduate-transfer out for next year. 

I think I corn-fused your post with one on the number of transferring players out there. Or maybe it was a tweet.

My brain is numb at this point. Thanks for clarifying.

Board footera