Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2017 5:52 am  #1

Rest in peace, Bill Piekarski

It is with great sadness that I must inform you of the passing of my friend Pie.  He will be greatly missed.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/postgazette/obituary.aspx?n=william-m-piekarski&pid=184797149

4/03/2017 6:14 am  #2

Re: Rest in peace, Bill Piekarski

A melancholy happy trails to "Pie".

While not the most gifted player he certainly gave it his all on the court as a Duke.

4/03/2017 6:33 am  #3

Condolences to the Piekarski family, the Duquesne family, and all who counted him as a friend.

4/03/2017 7:47 am  #4

Very sad. As Ghost said, he gave it his all on the court.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

4/03/2017 7:49 am  #5

It was a while ago but certainly recall his time as a Duke.  Condolences to  his family and friends.

4/03/2017 7:53 am  #6

I remember him as well.

4/03/2017 8:51 am  #7

I had the pleasure of knowing Bill and his brothers well before and after his days at Duquesne.  I can honestly say that Bill was as kind as anyone you will ever meet.  He was clearly much loved and respected by his wonderful family.  He was clearly a gentle giant, and universally loved by all who were fortunate enough to know him.

4/03/2017 10:05 am  #8

I remember Bill well as a player, rough and tough. Once Donnie Gambridge told me this story ( so it may be exaggerated , if you knew Gumby) Pie and Joey Meyers are wrestling in their apartment, busting up furniture and raising hell. The bout ends when one of them swallows his chaw of chew and then throws up!

It is sad to see our old Dukes passing, they made it so much fun going to the Arena and watching the games, Red and Cinny and Mike always had local kids on the teams. We followed these guys through high school and always had a real interest in their success.

RIP Pie.......

A diehard fan since 1961

4/03/2017 10:49 am  #9

Didn't know him & only heard the name as a Dukes player a few times but, holy hell, that is one awesome obit! My condolences to his family & friends.

Here's to a life well lived!

4/03/2017 11:50 am  #10

So sorry to hear. Second member of the last NCAA T team to go too soon (John Thomas was the first).

When Sam Clancy signed an NFL contract, I always wondered why no team took a look at Pie as a TE.

4/03/2017 12:39 pm  #11

Pie succumbed to the same illness as JT, leukemia.  Both good friends who I miss dearly.

4/04/2017 10:46 pm  #12

PIe was one othe the nicest people I have ever met at Duquesne. Just a good person and you always felt instantly in friendship with the guy. He always was open and friendly with everybody...if he was anything like he was when I knew him,....,than I'm sure the rest of his life, must have been full of family and friends that were touched the same way....

4/05/2017 9:00 am  #13

VBC wrote:

Pie succumbed to the same illness as JT, leukemia.  Both good friends who I miss dearly.

I thought JT died from testicular cancer?

4/05/2017 9:50 am  #14

duq81 wrote:

VBC wrote:

I thought JT died from testicular cancer?

I thought I was told leukemia, but that was a long time ago so maybe you're correct.

Board footera