Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2017 5:46 am  #1

Current list of recruits for 2017

Unless Kellon Taylor has a basketball scholarship, we started this past season with only 12 scholarship players. We had five scholarships to give (Lewis, Abrahamson, Blackman, Steele, and 13th open). We signed Wheeler, Banks, Walker & Djonkam. Wheeler, Banks & Walker de-committed. Dunn-Martin announced his transfer to Duquesne. Scholarships have opened with the transfers of I. Mike & N. Sanders. We currently have five open scholarships, with the current roster consisting of:
1 C/PF - Jordan Robinson
​2 SF - Eric James, Kellon Taylor (non-scholarship?)
​1 PG - Tarin Smith
​3 SG - Mike Lewis II, Rene Castro, Spencer Littleson

2 committed:
​2* PG - Tavian Dunn-Martin 5-8 (So transfer from Akron)
2* PF - Lewis Djonkam 6-7 (Ferry commit)

Recruits/offers:
​3* PG - Jermaine Jackson 5-10
3* PG - Jamari Wheeler 6-1 (Ferry commit/de-committed)
2* PG - Torrey Patton 6-4
​2* SG - Jordan Wright 6-5
2* SG - Justin Minaya 6-6
3* SG - Darius Banks 6-5 (Ferry commit/de-committed)
2* SF - Jalen Cameron 6-5
​2* SF - John Walker 6-9 (Ferry commit/de-committed)
​2* PF - Jack Ballantyne 6-9
3* PF Alexis Yetna 6-8
2* C - Isaac Kante

​Presuming Banks, Walker & Wheeler are out of play, I'm GUESSING (based on roster "need") that Ballantyne, Jackson, Cameron, Minaya and Wright are all top targets, barring transfers/JUCOs/international players who may be under consideration.

4/05/2017 7:27 am  #2

Re: Current list of recruits for 2017

ElDuque wrote:

Unless Kellon Taylor has a basketball scholarship, we started this past season with only 12 scholarship players. We had five scholarships to give (Lewis, Abrahamson, Blackman, Steele, and 13th open). We signed Wheeler, Banks, Walker & Djonkam. Wheeler, Banks & Walker de-committed. Dunn-Martin announced his transfer to Duquesne. Scholarships have opened with the transfers of I. Mike & N. Sanders. We currently have five open scholarships, with the current roster consisting of:
1 C/PF - Jordan Robinson
​2 SF - Eric James, Kellon Taylor (non-scholarship?)
​1 PG - Tarin Smith
​3 SG - Mike Lewis II, Rene Castro, Spencer Littleson

2 committed:
​2* PG - Tavian Dunn-Martin 5-8 (So transfer from Akron)
2* PF - Lewis Djonkam 6-7 (Ferry commit)

Recruits/offers:
3* PG - Jamari Wheeler 6-1 (Ferry commit/de-committed)
​2* SG - Jordan Wright 6-5
2* SG - Justin Minaya 6-6
3* SG - Darius Banks 6-5 (Ferry commit/de-committed)
2* SF - Jalen Cameron 6-5
​2* SF - John Walker 6-9 (Ferry commit/de-committed)
3* PF Alexis Yetna 6-8
2* C - Isaac Kante

​Presuming Banks, Walker & Wheeler are out of play, I'm GUESSING (based on roster "need") that Ballantyne, Jackson, Cameron, Minaya and Wright are all top targets, barring transfers/JUCOs/international players who may be under consideration.

That was the one thing I was going to mention, I don't think anyone could be considered a "top target" yet. I'm sure there will be another flurry of offers before the spring signing period is over. You also have the JUCO guys and grad transfers, not to mention any regular transfers that may get released in the coming weeks.

Point I'm trying to make is the situation remains very fluid at the moment and I'm sure more names will surface well before recruiting for next year is wrapped up. Of the above list I like Jermaine Jackson and Nick Washington.

Based on your current roster list I would try to get size with the other three openings. The only real size we have now is Robinson and Djonkam? Man that's my pretty scary.

4 and 5 are the positions I would likely try to go the JUCO or grad transfer route to stop gap the positions while Dambrot can backfill during next season by recruiting 4 year guys for those spots.

I remember having small teams in the past but can't remember one where we had two 6'7-9" guys and the rest of the team was smaller.

Biggest position to address with Lewis coming back IMO. The good thing is that if Robinson steps up in Dambrots inside out offensive system we would only need to find some depth guys for next year. Gonna be very interesting.

4/05/2017 7:35 am  #3

Just basing this on what I know. These were the first guys offered by Coach Dambrot. There's really no other way to approach this. For now. 

4/05/2017 7:59 am  #4

ElDuque wrote:

Just basing this on what I know. These were the first guys offered by Coach Dambrot. There's really no other way to approach this. For now. 

Oh no I totally agree we have to start with what we have, just excited to see how the list develops.

4/05/2017 8:22 am  #5

Kellon Taylor is on a football scholarship, so he's considered a walk-on for hoops

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/05/2017 8:38 am  #6

ElDuque, thanks for pulling this together.  Missing on your recruit list are 2 players having campus visits this weekend - Nick Washington and Josh Colon.  I believe both of these guys grew up in Puerto Rico; playing now at US Prep Schools (South Kent and Blue Ridge).

4/05/2017 8:56 am  #7

ElDuque, I have modified the 2017 list below to exclude those offers that were by Ferry as there is no indication that the current staff is recruiting them at this time. I have also added Collins, Washington and Colon.  I am sure there are some names at this point that we have not heard as well.  The "Quiet Period" ends tomorrow 4/6 and coaches will be allowed talk directly to recruits so I would not be surprised to hear more names then.

Recruits/offers:
2* SG - David Collins 6-3
2* PG - Josh Colon 5-8
2* PF - Nick Washington 6-8

Last edited by CLK (4/05/2017 9:19 am)

4/05/2017 9:49 am  #8

Excellent summaries El D and CLK, keep up the good work!  These are exciting times for DU Men's BBall and recruiting talk is the most fun to talk about, speculate and report on.  What is interesting is that before KD puts his first DU team on the Court he will have a 2017 Fall recruiting class under LOI's as well.  Again, exciting times on the Bluff!

4/05/2017 9:51 am  #9

My top 3 from revised recruit list are, in this order, Washington, Collins and Jackson.

4/05/2017 11:52 am  #10

Mulder wrote:

CLK wrote:

ElDuque, I have modified the 2017 list below to exclude those offers that were by Ferry as there is no indication that the current staff is recruiting them at this time. I have also added Collins, Washington and Colon.  I am sure there are some names at this point that we have not heard as well.  The "Quiet Period" ends tomorrow 4/6 and coaches will be allowed talk directly to recruits so I would not be surprised to hear more names then.

Recruits/offers:
2* SG - David Collins 6-3
2* PG - Josh Colon 5-8
2* PF - Nick Washington 6-8

From ED's List - I noted that you left off:  2* PF - Lewis Djonkam 6-7 (Ferry commit)
If he has committed to Duquesne and did not de-commit I assume we still have to  honor that correct?   I'm not asking because I don't want to honor that - I don't know the guy and what is qualifications are like, just curious about the rules.

Also, someone mentioned somewhere that one recruit was having trouble getting approved/qualified.  Is that Djonkam or someone else? 

Finally, which recruits that Coach Dambrot is considering are 2017 and which later?  I've seen that here and there but wasn't sure if that was correct.

Mulder, as I stated above these are the names of the 2017 recruits that Dambrot is recruiting (that have been made public).  As far as I know Djonkam is still bound to DU, and DU is required to honor his LOI (as I understand the rules).  He can request a release, but have not heard that he has done so. I have not heard that he has any qualification issues.  As of right now there are 5 open scholarships for 2017. 

4/05/2017 12:03 pm  #11

CLK, I'm much obliged for the update!

Mulder, I listed the Djonkam kid and the transfer from Akron as "committed," pending official announcement.

4/05/2017 12:34 pm  #12

ElDuque wrote:

Mulder, I listed the Djonkam kid and the transfer from Akron as "committed," pending official announcement.

I was told that for now Lewis Djonkam is committed , but he wants another week or so to think about it / discuss further with his parents etc ...

We'll have to be a bit patient and see what the final resolution is.

4/05/2017 1:51 pm  #13

Thanks ghost, I had not heard that.  Here is our first reported JUCO prospect.

JucoRecruiting.com‏ 

Tariiq Jones (6'7, F, 2017) of Schoolcraft is receiving interest from Kent St, Duquesne, Kansas St, Tennessee St, Toledo & Virginia Tech

Last edited by CLK (4/05/2017 1:52 pm)

4/05/2017 3:21 pm  #14

CLK wrote:

Thanks ghost, I had not heard that.  Here is our first reported JUCO prospect.

JucoRecruiting.com‏ 

Tariiq Jones (6'7, F, 2017) of Schoolcraft is receiving interest from Kent St, Duquesne, Kansas St, Tennessee St, Toledo & Virginia Tech

Here some more info on Jones last season:

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2016-17/div2/players/tariqjones0ti6

4/05/2017 4:02 pm  #15

Maybe we can get lucky and have another Damian Saunders type of situation fall into our laps at a late date.

4/05/2017 8:11 pm  #16

Looks like coach tries to recruit teammates on occasion. He had 2 sets of high school teammates on Akrons roster and he's recruiting 2 sets of teammates here plus the 2 who played on the Puerto Rican team. Wish we'd have done that when Billy Knight was in high school.

Last edited by WashPaRick (4/05/2017 8:12 pm)

4/06/2017 10:14 am  #17

ElDuque wrote:

Does the Akron kid have to sit out this year?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

4/06/2017 10:28 am  #18

I don't see why he wouldn't have to sit out next year.  He was only a freshman last season, so unless he has some extenuating circumstances, yes, he would be sitting out.

4/13/2017 11:37 am  #19

Current (5 scholarship players):
1 C/PF - Jordan Robinson Sr.
​2 SF - Eric James Sr., Kellon Taylor So. (non-scholarship)
​1 PG - Tarin Smith Jr.
​2 SG - Mike Lewis II So., Spencer Littleson So.

Committed (4 scholarship players):
​2* PG Tavian Dunn-Martin 5-8 So. in 2018-19 transfer from Akron
2* F Marko Krivacevic 6-9 Jr.
2* C Michael Hughes 6-9 So. in 2018-19 transfer from Akron
3* G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. in 2018-19 transfer from Memphis

Leaves four open scholarships, with known recruits being:
2* C Usman Haruna 7-0 Jr, JUCO
3* PG Jermaine Jackson 5-10
2* PG Torrey Patton 6-4
​2* PF Jack Ballantyne 6-9
2* SG David Collins 6-3
2* PG Josh Colon 5-8
2* PF Nick Washington 6-8

I think two of the final recruits "have to" be from Haruna/Ballentyne/Collins, or include a fifth year senior transfer.

4/13/2017 11:48 am  #20

ElDuque wrote:

Current (5 scholarship players):
1 C/PF - Jordan Robinson Sr.
​2 SF - Eric James Sr., Kellon Taylor So. (non-scholarship)
​1 PG - Tarin Smith Jr.
​2 SG - Mike Lewis II So., Spencer Littleson So.

Committed (4 scholarship players):
​2* PG Tavian Dunn-Martin 5-8 So. in 2018-19 transfer from Akron
2* F Marko Krivacevic 6-9 Jr.
2* C Michael Hughes 6-9 So. in 2018-19 transfer from Akron
3* G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. in 2018-19 transfer from Memphis

Leaves four open scholarships, with known recruits being:
2* C Usman Haruna 7-0 Jr, JUCO
3* PG Jermaine Jackson 5-10
2* PG Torrey Patton 6-4
​2* PF Jack Ballantyne 6-9
2* SG David Collins 6-3
2* PG Josh Colon 5-8
2* PF Nick Washington 6-8

I think two of the final recruits "have to" be from Haruna/Ballentyne/Collins, or include a fifth year senior transfer.

For the last two, did you mean Washington instead of Collins?  I assume you want size.    

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

4/13/2017 11:56 am  #21

Yes. I also want my brain to function once in a while.

4/13/2017 3:17 pm  #22

I'm wondering if Josh Colon is being looked at as a preferred walk on. I'm actually surprised he hasn't committed already.

4/13/2017 3:31 pm  #23

steve19981 wrote:

I'm wondering if Josh Colon is being looked at as a preferred walk on. I'm actually surprised he hasn't committed already.

What are the rules for preferred walk ons? Is the university allowed to give them significant academic scholarships?

4/13/2017 5:01 pm  #24

steve19981 wrote:

I do not believe that Dambrot offered him on his visit.  My guess is that either Dambrot feels there are better options or Colon is a fall back if Jackson does not commit (by the way Jackson's dad is the an assistant at Detroit). I don't think Colon would walk on since he has an offer from VMI.

Last edited by CLK (4/13/2017 5:03 pm)

4/13/2017 5:41 pm  #25

CLK wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

I do not believe that Dambrot offered him on his visit.  My guess is that either Dambrot feels there are better options or Colon is a fall back if Jackson does not commit (by the way Jackson's dad is the an assistant at Detroit). I don't think Colon would walk on since he has an offer from VMI.

This goes back to what I said about him before, I really hope we don't lock him up for 4 years when he his clearly far down the list in terms of targets. He obviously is if he didn't get an offer before during or after the visit.

Board footera