Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2017 6:08 pm  #1

4/06/2017 6:19 pm  #2

Re: Another small PG

Really not that surprising. Coach D always had small point guards at Akron. I'm not going to criticize him for it, as his record speaks for itself.

4/06/2017 6:37 pm  #3

When KD said he wants the ball in MLewis' hands, that implied to me that he would be playing PG more next year.  I don't know, just a guess, but if that is the case, how many more back-up PG's do you need?  Tarin Smith could play some PG, but I don't know what KD has in mind for him.  Anyway, if ML does play point, I wouldn't want 2 scholies used for back-up PG's 5'9" and under.

4/06/2017 6:38 pm  #4

How big do you need to be to play the point?  He is listed at 6'0; that is plenty big.  He clearly has the quickness, jump shot and speed, can handle the ball; all that is much more important than whether he is taller than 6'.  He'll need to get stronger, but he was only a junior.

4/06/2017 6:44 pm  #5

You guys need to let the coaches build the team; I think they have a better handle on what is needed than we do.
Anyone who saw us play last year could see that our  guards were too slow on defense; repeatedly allowing penetration which broke down the defense.  We need to be quicker at the guard positions; so the coaches might see that as a priority going forward; along with size under the basket.

Last edited by levon1975 (4/06/2017 6:49 pm)

4/06/2017 6:47 pm  #6

From what I read, KD can use up to 11 players.  He likes to sub his players.  A couple of
point guards would make sense.  He might also go with a three guard lineup.

4/06/2017 6:49 pm  #7

levon1975 wrote:

You guys need to let the coaches build the team; I think they have a better handle on what is needed than we do.  Our guards were too slow last season; repeatedly allowing penetration which broke down the defense.  We need to be quicker at the guard positions; so expect to see that as a priority going forward; along with sme size under the basket.

Agree. I have no issues with small point guards in general. The issue under ferry was that the small guards played bad D, but if they play solid D I don't care how tall they are. Sure, we would love to have a 6'5" point guard but there are very few of them available.

4/06/2017 7:17 pm  #8

Econ69 wrote:

From what I read, KD can use up to 11 players.  He likes to sub his players.  A couple of
point guards would make sense.  He might also go with a three guard lineup.

didn't we crucify ferry for playing a three guard lineup? 

unless if he's thinking of running a lineup into exhaustion in 5 minutes then piling on subs, whih i wouldn't mind. 94 feet of defense, right?

but in the a-10, a three guard lineup is riksy business

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/06/2017 7:19 pm  #9

levon1975 wrote:

You guys need to let the coaches build the team; I think they have a better handle on what is needed than we do.
Anyone who saw us play last year could see that our  guards were too slow on defense; repeatedly allowing penetration which broke down the defense.  We need to be quicker at the guard positions; so the coaches might see that as a priority going forward; along with size under the basket.

I agree we don't need all 6'3" pg, but we have seen the limitations of having smaller guards in the past. Both offensively and defensively. I'm not criticizing what coach D is doing, just giving the opinion that I would like to see bigger guys at the position. I trust him though.

Another thing to remember is this list includes primary targets, backup options, and backup backup options. As someone else mentioned the guard positions aren't the most pressing needs. Out of this list we will probably see one of these small guys on the roster, or none depending on how things develop. We are still so early in the process.

Either way I'm not criticizing, just throwing out my opinion on current developments.

Last edited by Duques102 (4/06/2017 7:31 pm)

4/06/2017 10:16 pm  #10

The best point guard in the Atlantic 10 in recent years was Chaz Williams. He was 5'9'' 

There have been plenty of small productive guards under 6'0'' including Jack Gibbs, DC, Shawn'dre Jones, Kendall Anthony, Carl Jones, Kwamain Mitchell. Anyone who says Kevin Anderson, and Tu Holloway are 6'0'' are streching the truth (see what I did there). 

I'd also wager that Justin Robinson from Monmouth would have been a highly productive A-10 guard. 

Last edited by steve19981 (4/06/2017 10:18 pm)

4/06/2017 11:00 pm  #11

It all depends on how good the small guards are. All small guards are going to be susceptible to being posted up, and being shot over, but some can make up for that by being able to force turnovers. As for a three guard lineup, again, it depends on the quality of the guards, and how good the few bigs are. Villanova has run 3 and 4 guard lineups under Jay Wright, and these were elite teams, playing in the old powerhouse BE. Let's trust the coach until we have reason not to.

4/07/2017 5:30 am  #12

A 5-9 point guard with quick hands, fast feet, and good basketball sense is as valuable a weapon as a 6-10 guy. Depends how he's used, as others have said.

4/07/2017 9:15 am  #13

steve19981 wrote:

The best point guard in the Atlantic 10 in recent years was Chaz Williams. He was 5'9'' 

There have been plenty of small productive guards under 6'0'' including Jack Gibbs, DC, Shawn'dre Jones, Kendall Anthony, Carl Jones, Kwamain Mitchell. Anyone who says Kevin Anderson, and Tu Holloway are 6'0'' are streching the truth (see what I did there). 

I'd also wager that Justin Robinson from Monmouth would have been a highly productive A-10 guard. 

Those guys were good players but the really good recent guards (the ones currently on NBA rosters) like the Langston Gallaways, Briante Webers, and Deandre Bembrys of the A10 were all over 6'2". Jordair Jett orchestrated those top 15 Saint Louis teams at 6'1".

Also Jack Gibbs is listed at 6'. Scoochie smith and Jaylen Adams were two of the best guards in the league last year and they are both listed at 6'2". Chaz Williams is the best example I can think of a recent effective small guard but he also had some of those same limitations.

Point is you can win without size just like we can win without Isiaha Mike, but it also makes it more difficult to win without those things. Dambrot has to work extra hard to try to negate those limitations through game planning and ultimately, against the best teams, size mismatches get exposed. Look at the two teams that played in the national title game. They were arguably the two biggest teams in the tournament (besides unc's pg, who probably looked smaller around all those 7 footers, still listed at 6').

I won't get ahead of myself because these guys aren't committed and I'm not saying size automatically gets you to a tourney, but it sure does help and can't really hurt.

Chaz Williams was not the best A10 point guard in recent years. He was really, really good and the heart and soul of his team but when he was here we had temple, Xavier, and Butler in the conference still. At least two of those teams put guards in the NBA. Some of the names I've mentioned above were better players.

Talent wise, EC Matthews is probably the best PG in the league right now, he is 6'5".

Last edited by Duques102 (4/07/2017 9:32 am)

4/07/2017 9:26 am  #14

Come on Folks, we all know...

"Size doesn't matter"

4/07/2017 9:34 am  #15

I think we have reached the point where everyone is rationalizing every move that is being made because we are optimistic. Trust me I am not being negative Nancy but I would like to point out last year this time everyone was calling for taller guards to contest 3 point shots on defense.

To me I would like my guards to be around 6 foot. Of course, if there are better players that are shorter lets go that option but I will say I am not thrilled with that 5'8 guy we offered. Again maybe I am bias because of the NBA and all Power 5 teams but I usually think of great point guards as ones that are at least 6 Ft.

Then again....look at Isiah Thomas. 

Roll Dukes Roll

4/07/2017 9:45 am  #16

currentstudent wrote:

I think we have reached the point where everyone is rationalizing every move that is being made because we are optimistic. Trust me I am not being negative Nancy but I would like to point out last year this time everyone was calling for taller guards to contest 3 point shots on defense.

To me I would like my guards to be around 6 foot. Of course, if there are better players that are shorter lets go that option but I will say I am not thrilled with that 5'8 guy we offered. Again maybe I am bias because of the NBA and all Power 5 teams but I usually think of great point guards as ones that are at least 6 Ft.

Then again....look at Isiah Thomas. 

How many Isiaha Thomas's are there? 1

How many 6'1"-6'6" guards are in the NBA? Hundreds.

You can argue that you can get talented guards that are sub 6', but you can't ignore the fact or argue that there aren't disadvantages to being that small at the position. You can be the hardest worker and defend for 90 whatever feet but when push comes to shove, in the biggest games, size matchups are exploited and exposed as often as possible for every position on the floor.

4/07/2017 10:04 am  #17

I agree 100% 102; my preference is for a PG at least 6", with talent!  Again, didn't' MLewis say that Coach KD wants the ball in his hands??  I thought that translates to him playing point, but maybe that is an erroneous assumption.  I don't mind a 5'9" kid, or in case of the transfer from Akron 5'8", coming off the bench to provide a spark, but the vast majority of the time (not the exception to the rule like Chaz Williams) someone under 5'10" starting at PG will not get it done in the A-10.  Colter was really a 2 guard forced to play point, but as tough as a player as DC was, he was exposed because of his size.  This is all just speculation on everyone's part at this time, but this is what makes things interesting as fans.  No one is slamming anyone, we are all just throwing out our views on recruits, roster and match-ups.  I can't wait for the signing period to start 4/12 and my guess is within the first week of the signing period we'll have several guys locked up.  It will certainly be interesting to see who they are, but I think we can all agree the #1 need for next year is, you ready.................SIZE!!
One other note, let's not discount what Tarin Smith can do with quality coaching.  His biggest detriment last year was turnovers as I saw it, many unforced, and I think that is correctable with quality coaching.  Players need to know what to do when certain situations occur in games, that is what gives them confidence to execute.  How many times did we see last year the team doing well on offense and then the other team switches to another defense and we looked like a deer in the head lights................. 

4/07/2017 10:56 am  #18

PistolPete wrote:

I agree 100% 102; my preference is for a PG at least 6", with talent!  Again, didn't' MLewis say that Coach KD wants the ball in his hands??  I thought that translates to him playing point, but maybe that is an erroneous assumption.  I don't mind a 5'9" kid, or in case of the transfer from Akron 5'8", coming off the bench to provide a spark, but the vast majority of the time (not the exception to the rule like Chaz Williams) someone under 5'10" starting at PG will not get it done in the A-10.  Colter was really a 2 guard forced to play point, but as tough as a player as DC was, he was exposed because of his size.  This is all just speculation on everyone's part at this time, but this is what makes things interesting as fans.  No one is slamming anyone, we are all just throwing out our views on recruits, roster and match-ups.  I can't wait for the signing period to start 4/12 and my guess is within the first week of the signing period we'll have several guys locked up.  It will certainly be interesting to see who they are, but I think we can all agree the #1 need for next year is, you ready.................SIZE!!
One other note, let's not discount what Tarin Smith can do with quality coaching.  His biggest detriment last year was turnovers as I saw it, many unforced, and I think that is correctable with quality coaching.  Players need to know what to do when certain situations occur in games, that is what gives them confidence to execute.  How many times did we see last year the team doing well on offense and then the other team switches to another defense and we looked like a deer in the head lights................. 

I don't necessarily equate that to Lewis playing PG, could be more of a general statement regarding Lewis being the go to guy next year, being the number one look for most of the sets we will run (we will be running plays!!!!!!).

I also agree on Tarin Smith, he obviously has a lot of talent and Dambrot is the best candidate to get the most of that out of him. I could see a lineup of Smith Running the point with Lewis playing off of him being very effective in a structured disciplined offense. You then have littleson, Castro, and the short guy from Akron spelling them. At that point I would take one more guard max and focus on interior players and wings.

Current student and Pistol,you make great points. People have been jumping at each other if any comment has been posted that isn't 100% positive or supportive of what's going on.

I believe in Dambrot fully and am so excited for the future. That being said we can all still provide opinions and feelings about recruits, games going forward, etc. I would never dream of telling him how to do his job or think I know everything about basketball, but there are some universal truths to the game.

Why do you think there are no 5'9" point guards on major D1 teams or playing in the NBA (save Thomas)? It creates a mismatch that can be exploited both offensively and defensively. It's just a fact. Once again I don't care if we get one more of these guys but going forward we will need size to reach the heights we dream of and Dambrot talks about, it's really as simple as that. I think he knows that and can get it done.

Two things to remember, we are in the late LOI period so high school prospects remaining are essentially the scrap heap, it's just a reality. The kid Washington didn't start getting recruited by Georgetown until there were late transfers and other targets didn't work out. Guys get over recruited at the end of the period when programs are desperate to fill needs. This is how I see the Colon kid for us. I never mention stars either but I do look at things like offers, aau programs, level of competition and classification for the high school they play for, and stats, they can all be very telling. The DU offer looks like an offer from Kentucky based on the other programs Colon has looks from. Sorry but that's a red flag, plain and simple.

Also, of the short guys we've looked at those include primary targets and plans b c and d. They won't all be coming, and maybe none of them will be coming here, we will just have to see how everything plays out.

4/07/2017 11:32 am  #19

Thanks 102, we all know we need to wait and see how it flushes out and certainly everyone is entitled to comment on the things we are all talking about.  Anyway your point about the late signing period at the end of your post is on target, that is why most of those guys are available.  Either they are holding out for a better offer thinking if they have a great senior year they get noticed or as you say they are over-recruited as teams get more desperate to fill spots.  This leads to my question, would it be better to not fill all of the scholarships?  I think we have 5, but I am not sure.  I know KD has to field the best team he can, but guys that are reaches end up not playing and transferring out anyway. The Fall recruiting period is very, very important and will tell us more the kind of player KD wants and the level of target he is going after.  Remember he even said at the Presser that kids came here because it was their "best offer".  We want kids who have even better offers picking us!  Believe in the "dream" as Coach D says. 

4/07/2017 12:04 pm  #20

Shwanta Rogers in the late 90s for the GW Colonials, at 5'4" he lit us up a few times, as well as the league.

4/07/2017 12:04 pm  #21

PistolPete wrote:

Thanks 102, we all know we need to wait and see how it flushes out and certainly everyone is entitled to comment on the things we are all talking about.  Anyway your point about the late signing period at the end of your post is on target, that is why most of those guys are available.  Either they are holding out for a better offer thinking if they have a great senior year they get noticed or as you say they are over-recruited as teams get more desperate to fill spots.  This leads to my question, would it be better to not fill all of the scholarships?  I think we have 5, but I am not sure.  I know KD has to field the best team he can, but guys that are reaches end up not playing and transferring out anyway. The Fall recruiting period is very, very important and will tell us more the kind of player KD wants and the level of target he is going after.  Remember he even said at the Presser that kids came here because it was their "best offer".  We want kids who have even better offers picking us!  Believe in the "dream" as Coach D says. 

The beauty of grad transfers is you don't have to worry whether you should fill all available scholarship spots. You can use them to plug holes for one year. If they help a lot (Blackman) great, if they suck (Abrahamson) you still have warm bodies to fill out a practice and they are gone after the season. So to answer your question I don't think we should leave spots open, but if we're not crazy about the guys that would put us on the hook for 2-4 years of having them you can round out those last couple roster spots with one year mercenaries.

Last edited by Duques102 (4/07/2017 12:11 pm)

4/07/2017 3:41 pm  #22

Duques102 wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

Those guys were good players but the really good recent guards (the ones currently on NBA rosters) like the Langston Gallaways, Briante Webers, and Deandre Bembrys of the A10 were all over 6'2". Jordair Jett orchestrated those top 15 Saint Louis teams at 6'1".

Also Jack Gibbs is listed at 6'. Scoochie smith and Jaylen Adams were two of the best guards in the league last year and they are both listed at 6'2". Chaz Williams is the best example I can think of a recent effective small guard but he also had some of those same limitations.

Point is you can win without size just like we can win without Isiaha Mike, but it also makes it more difficult to win without those things. Dambrot has to work extra hard to try to negate those limitations through game planning and ultimately, against the best teams, size mismatches get exposed. Look at the two teams that played in the national title game. They were arguably the two biggest teams in the tournament (besides unc's pg, who probably looked smaller around all those 7 footers, still listed at 6').

I won't get ahead of myself because these guys aren't committed and I'm not saying size automatically gets you to a tourney, but it sure does help and can't really hurt.

Chaz Williams was not the best A10 point guard in recent years. He was really, really good and the heart and soul of his team but when he was here we had temple, Xavier, and Butler in the conference still. At least two of those teams put guards in the NBA. Some of the names I've mentioned above were better players.

Talent wise, EC Matthews is probably the best PG in the league right now, he is 6'5".

EC Mathews is a 2-guard not a point guard; he is primarily a scorer, and a very good one; really a pleasure to watch Mathews play.  It's too bad he has to lug that knee brace around because the guy can flat out score!  URI played the freshman Jeff Downtin at the point.

Board footera