Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2017 7:59 am  #1

Current Roster

While there could be a surprise left based on PSN's reporting, this is where our roster stands currently. We are going to be a little short handed this year, but if we stay healthy there is enough talent for coach D to improve our win total from last year. With another good recruiting class, we could be a real exciting team the following season.

Tarin Smith 6'3 PG 2019
Mike Lewis II 6'2" SG 2020
Spencer Littleson 6'4" SG 2020
Eric James 6'6" SF 2018
Jordan Robinson 6'8" C 2018
Marko Krivacevic 6'9" PF 2019
Nicholas Kratholm 6'8" PF 2021
Eric Williams 6'5" SG 2021
Tydus Verhoeven 6'8" PF 2021
Mike Hughes (O) 6'9" C 2021
Marcus Weathers (O) 6'6" SF 2021
Tavian Dunn-Martin (O) 5'8" PG 2021
Craig Randall (O) 6'4" SG 2020
Kellon Taylor 6'5" SF 2020

"(O)" stands for "out this year."

Last edited by Dukes2012 (4/23/2017 8:01 am)

4/23/2017 8:32 am  #2

Re: Current Roster

There will be a chance for a walk on, or two to see the floor. Perhaps Coach can convince a player or two to become a preferred walk on instead of going to some D2 school.

4/23/2017 10:30 am  #3

duq81 wrote:

There will be a chance for a walk on, or two to see the floor. Perhaps Coach can convince a player or two to become a preferred walk on instead of going to some D2 school.

Idk man I've been thinking about this a lot. We've been talking about being thin next year but I really think we will be ok. We now have ten eligible scholarship players next year plus Kellon Taylor who is serviceable, maybe the best walk on in the country (woooo).

If we can stay healthy, most teams don't go 11 deep anyway, we should be ok with depth and I am pumped about year 2.

Scratch that, just counted nine scholarship players. Well, we gotta hope we stay healthy that's for sure.

Last edited by Duques102 (4/23/2017 10:35 am)

4/23/2017 10:35 am  #4

Duques102 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Idk man I've been thinking about this a lot. We've been talking about being thin next year but I really think we will be ok. We now have ten eligible scholarship players next year plus Kellon Taylor who is serviceable, maybe the best walk on in the country (woooo).

If we can stay healthy, most teams don't go 11 deep anyway, we should be ok with depth and I am pumped about year 2.

I agree, but I think we'll have 9 scholarship players, plus Taylor, so we will be 10 deep. We have four transfers that have to sit out.

Just saw your edit. One thing that stands out about this roster: a lot of length and versatility. So many guys between 6'4" and 6'9".

Last edited by Dukes2012 (4/23/2017 10:41 am)

4/23/2017 10:42 am  #5

Dukes2012 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I agree, but I think we'll have 9 scholarship players, plus Taylor, so we will be 10 deep. We have four transfers that have to sit out.

Yeah your right I just saw that. Hopefully we can stay healthy. We are going to be young and this year will be about getting those young guys some seasoning. This roster looks awesome for year two. We will be adding at least two players to the mix as well.

4/23/2017 11:50 am  #6

I really hope there is Summer League this year at Montour. Looking forward to seeing all these guys out there

4/23/2017 12:34 pm  #7

Brian wrote:

I really hope there is Summer League this year at Montour. Looking forward to seeing all these guys out there

I hope so too. There is so much turmoil at Pitt, I don't know how this will affect things with the summer laeague. Their board is in an absolute uproar, and the crazies are calling for Stallings to be fired, despite having four or five years left on his deal. We thought RE getting the boot was crazy, but running off Dixon was insanity.

4/23/2017 1:00 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

Brian wrote:

I hope so too. There is so much turmoil at Pitt, I don't know how this will affect things with the summer laeague. Their board is in an absolute uproar, and the crazies are calling for Stallings to be fired, despite having four or five years left on his deal. We thought RE getting the boot was crazy, but running off Dixon was insanity.

Ditto, I could not understand that logic, all Jamie did was win and go to post season, plus did it without the highest ranked kids, but they could play winning basketball. He took a really ordinary team at TCU into the NIT and I expect better things to happen at his alma mater this year.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/23/2017 1:23 pm  #9

duq81 wrote:

Brian wrote:

They're a wreck and the Teflon Bobs over in Moon need to find some players as well. Hopefully they can fill these rosters and pitt doesn't quit on the Summer League again since it is geared to them first and foremost.

We'll have so many new players to watch coming from various levels of basketball and different age ranges while seeing how the returnees are coming along under Coach's Summer program. 

4/23/2017 1:56 pm  #10

what will help is if we have a thinner non-conference schedule in terms of number of games. we need to keep kids fresh and avoid injury if we only got 9 or 10 eligible players next season.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/23/2017 2:03 pm  #11

It is only a small change but might be of help that NCAA is discussing having the season open mid week instead of Friday. Would at least add a few days to spread out games and would be wise to avoid the jam packed schedule we had last year trying to fit regional rivalry games in with the Bluegrass Showcase.

4/23/2017 4:30 pm  #12

Brian wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Brian wrote:

They're a wreck and the Teflon Bobs over in Moon need to find some players as well. Hopefully they can fill these rosters and pitt doesn't quit on the Summer League again since it is geared to them first and foremost.

We'll have so many new players to watch coming from various levels of basketball and different age ranges while seeing how the returnees are coming along under Coach's Summer program. 

With all three local schools turning over their rosters, the summer league is needed more than ever.

4/23/2017 4:36 pm  #13

Phildog wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Brian wrote:

Ditto, I could not understand that logic, all Jamie did was win and go to post season, plus did it without the highest ranked kids, but they could play winning basketball. He took a really ordinary team at TCU into the NIT and I expect better things to happen at his alma mater this year.

Some over there hated that Dixon wouldn't get down in the mud, the way some of his predecessors did. In a way, I'm glad he's gone. He actually made it hard to root against Pitt, especially in games against arrogant,  unlikeable teams like Villanova, and Gerogetown.

4/23/2017 5:12 pm  #14

I had no problem rooting against Pitt no matter who they were playing.

4/23/2017 7:37 pm  #15

You guys will like this story. Had dinner Saturday at Max's Allegheny Tavern. Wore my DU hoodie because it was a little chilly. Table next to ours had four people, one of whom was a guy who was a bit obnoxious (loud, clearly had a few Spaten too many). Felt eyes on me, looked over at the guy, and he's giving me the stink eye, unprovoked. OK. Few minutes later, he says -- loud enough for me to hear -- "Stallings gets one more year or he's gone."

Finished wiping my mouth, looked over at him, and said "Go, Dukes." He left a few minutes later, not looking too happy.

4/24/2017 4:35 am  #16

El Duque:  Maybe if you had went to Ritter's Diner instead - You wouldn't have had to deal with "undesireables" like that.

4/24/2017 5:31 am  #17

I'd have a harder time defending the Dukes against "Duquesne fans" there than Pitt fans anywhere, Al.

I kept thinking Saturday that it felt like 1980 again, being the better program in town.

4/24/2017 7:41 am  #18

Love the size that we have this year. Our shortest player is 6'2 and our best player. 

I'm looking for Spenser Littleson to make a big jump this year. 

Again, So excited to have the height. 

Roll Dukes Roll

4/24/2017 9:30 am  #19

Since this board is for "discussion" I am having the opposite opinion on the summer league.  Maybe it was because of the last 5 years, and though I was entertained when I watched some summer league games, I don't have a problem if there isn't one.  What stood out to me, and again maybe it was just during Ferry's tenure as I can't remember summer league information beyond 5 years ago...

-Duquesne players were over rated by those who watched them and came back and gave their opinions
-Players who did well there seldom did well during the season
-Folks who reported on who they saw often provided ideas that the Dukes would be really good because of how players played during those times - that did not happen

So other than it providing "playing time" for the players, I did not find it as a viable predictor of future Duquesne results.  So if it happens fine, if it doesn't, that is fine too.  Just my opinion...

4/24/2017 9:38 am  #20

FAM wrote:

Since this board is for "discussion" I am having the opposite opinion on the summer league. Maybe it was because of the last 5 years, and though I was entertained when I watched some summer league games, I don't have a problem if there isn't one. What stood out to me, and again maybe it was just during Ferry's tenure as I can't remember summer league information beyond 5 years ago...

-Duquesne players were over rated by those who watched them and came back and gave their opinions
-Folks who reported on who they saw often provided ideas that the Dukes would be really good because of how players played during those times - that did not happen

So other than it providing "playing time" for the players, I did not find it as a viable predictor of future Duquesne results. So if it happens fine, if it doesn't, that is fine too. Just my opinion...

100% agreed. Probably more so now with the summer league's lack of defense and KD's emphasis on it.

4/24/2017 11:05 am  #21

rosceaux wrote:

FAM wrote:

Since this board is for "discussion" I am having the opposite opinion on the summer league. Maybe it was because of the last 5 years, and though I was entertained when I watched some summer league games, I don't have a problem if there isn't one. What stood out to me, and again maybe it was just during Ferry's tenure as I can't remember summer league information beyond 5 years ago...

So other than it providing "playing time" for the players, I did not find it as a viable predictor of future Duquesne results. So if it happens fine, if it doesn't, that is fine too. Just my opinion...

100% agreed. Probably more so now with the summer league's lack of defense and KD's emphasis on it.

Agree with you guys. I have attended summer league for the past 4 or 5 years besides the year they didn't have it and while it is entertaining to watch, I really have to think there could be something better for the players to do to help their game in the offseason. They play literally 0 defense and everyone is just kind of out there yucking it up.

I didn't use to feel this way about the league but anyone who has been attending for a number of years can attest to how much the quality of the league has dwindled over the last 2-3 years. You would go and a team would have six guys, two of which would be sub D1 players. It really hurt the league when West Virginia pulled out, and players in the league started playing less and less serious after that.

The league used to be awesome and pretty darn competitive. You had Pitt and West Virginia who were nationally ranked programs every year, Robert Morris who was a perennial NCAA team, the kid from Youngstown state who was really an awesome basketball player (Perry I think?) and a smattering of some seriously talented pros and local guys who went elsewhere to play college ball (Dejuan Blair, Chevy Troutman, Deandre Kane), man I miss that league.

It's just not the same anymore which is sad that used to be a big draw over at green tree sports plex.

4/24/2017 11:20 am  #22

I only attended in 2014 and last year. I thought it was pretty fun to watch in '14 but last year was disappointing. I thought none of the three local teams were going to be strong. The lack of outside shooting was apparent from our guys in the games I saw. The two players from a school on one team rule by the NCAA stretches the rosters thin as well. Coaches are allowed to work with the players x amount of hours per week in the summer so I know they're going to be working on the necessary stuff to make the program what we hope it can be. I just want to see some of these guys in person and see a glimpse of their game and as a fan it is free with ample seating.

4/24/2017 11:55 am  #23

Summer league was an accurate indicator when Ron was here. Both AJax, and TJ shined at summer league, and then followed up with big seasons. The more recent failures might be attributable to the coach we had.

4/24/2017 2:17 pm  #24

If anything Dambrot will be able to work with the guys before official practices start in the fall semester.  Thats the best thing.

4/24/2017 6:09 pm  #25

WashPaRick wrote:

I had no problem rooting against Pitt no matter who they were playing.

Thank-you, I'll second that!

Board footera