Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2017 4:02 pm  #1

Final roster

For the 2017-18 season:
C/F Jordan Robinson Sr.
C/F Marko Krivacevic 6-9 Jr.
C/F Nicholas Kratholm 6-8 Fr.
F Tydus Verhoeven Fr. 6-8 Fr.
F Kellon Taylor 6-5 So. (Non-scholarship)
F/G Eric James 6-5 Sr.
F/G Eric Williams 6-5 Fr.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Jr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 So.
G Spencer Littleson 6-4 So.

For the 2018-2019 season:
C Michael Hughes 6-9 So.
C/F Marko Krivacevic 6-9 Sr.
C/F Nicholas Kratholm 6-8 So.
F Tydus Verhoeven Fr. 6-8 So.
F Marcus Weathers 6-5 So.
F Kellon Taylor 6-5 Jr. (Non-scholarship)
F/G Eric Williams 6-5 So.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Sr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 Jr.
G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. 
G Spencer Littleson 6-4 Jr.
G Tavian Dunn-Martin 5-8 So.
+ 2 recruits TBD 

Last edited by ElDuque (5/02/2017 5:01 am)

5/01/2017 7:45 pm  #2

Re: Final roster

ElDuque wrote:

For the 2017-18 season:
C/F Jordan Robinson Sr.
F Marko Krivacevic 6-9 Jr.
F Eric James 6-5 Sr.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Jr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 So.

C Michael Hughes 6-9 So.
F Marko Krivacevic 6-9 Sr.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Sr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 Jr.
G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. 
+ 2 recruits TBD 

Roster looking robust for year 2.

5/01/2017 9:22 pm  #3

ElDuque wrote:

For the 2017-18 season:
C/F Jordan Robinson Sr.
F Eric James 6-5 Sr.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Jr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 So.

C Michael Hughes 6-9 So.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Sr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 Jr.
G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. 
+ 2 recruits TBD 

Move the c from Kratholm to Krivacevic and your good.

5/02/2017 4:59 am  #4

You think so Rick? The couple of seconds of highlight film on Krivacevic makes him look like a very tall wing. Kratholm looked like more of a banger. But again I only saw a few moments of each kid and their games could be way different. I'll add a C to Krivacevic. It's all hands on deck anyway this year so I'll keep Kratholm in that category too.

5/02/2017 5:04 am  #5

Duques102 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

For the 2017-18 season:
C/F Jordan Robinson Sr.
F Eric James 6-5 Sr.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Jr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 So.

C Michael Hughes 6-9 So.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Sr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 Jr.
G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. 
+ 2 recruits TBD 

Ridiculously way too early prediction for the 2018-19 lineup (just having fun):
C - Hughes
F - Verhoeven
F - Weathers
G - Lewis
​G - Randall

Roster looking robust for year 2.

5/02/2017 6:17 am  #6

ElDuque wrote:

You think so Rick? The couple of seconds of highlight film on Krivacevic makes him look like a very tall wing. Kratholm looked like more of a banger. But again I only saw a few moments of each kid and their games could be way different. I'll add a C to Krivacevic. It's all hands on deck anyway this year so I'll keep Kratholm in that category too.

That's the way they had it on the announcement. We are probably looking at center by committee.

5/02/2017 7:34 am  #7

A 10 man (actually 9 man + Taylor) roster scares me. It seems the norm now in college hoops is a 9 or 10 man rotation which means that one injury forces you to change your basic game plan rather than being able to plug in another body for the 9th and 10th man. Of course, we'll probably have 2 or 3 walk-ons. Or maybe Coach C only uses a 7 or 8 man rotation?

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

5/02/2017 7:55 am  #8

I think the position where we are most vulnerable is at the point.  I see us only having two viable options at the PG position, Smith and Lewis. While not ideal there are several options or combinations at the other positions. 

5/02/2017 8:39 am  #9

Correct on the point, However, out of all of the positions, there are probably more point guards available throughout the country than any other positions - I think he will be able to take care of this with as more kids evolve.

5/02/2017 9:21 am  #10

I have no concerns about a 10 man roster for next year. Rather have 10 coached by KD than 13 coached by JF. EJ could play some guard if necessary though certainly not the best option. Really looking forward to the coming season.

5/02/2017 9:47 am  #11

Player I am most excited to see if Marko Krivacevic and how he performances. Loved his tape. 

Roll Dukes Roll

5/12/2017 10:10 pm  #12

For the 2017-18 season:
C/F Jordan Robinson 6-8 Sr.
F/G Eric James 6-5 Sr.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Jr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 So.
G Rene Castro 6-2 Sr.

C Michael Hughes 6-9 So.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Sr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 Jr.
G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. 
G Tavian Dunn-Martin 5-8 So.
+ 3 recruits TBD 

Last edited by ElDuque (5/12/2017 10:12 pm)

5/13/2017 7:38 am  #13

ElDuque wrote:

For the 2017-18 season:
C/F Jordan Robinson Sr.
F/G Eric James 6-5 Sr.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Jr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 So.

C Michael Hughes 6-9 So.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Sr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 Jr.
G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. 
+ 2 recruits TBD 

Looks like another 10-win season on the horizon with that roster.

5/13/2017 7:46 am  #14

ElDuque wrote:

For the 2017-18 season:
C/F Jordan Robinson 6-8 Sr.
F/G Eric James 6-5 Sr.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Jr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 So.
G Rene Castro 6-2 Sr.

C Michael Hughes 6-9 So.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Sr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 Jr.
G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. 
G Tavian Dunn-Martin 5-8 So.
+ 3 recruits TBD 

The 2018-2019 roster is looking mighty good already, even without three recruits. Lots of talent and length. This year could be a struggle with so little depth and experience, but I fully expect coach D to maximize the team's ability. I'd expect maybe 15 wins. I don't expect a real challenging non-conference schedule.

5/13/2017 7:54 am  #15

rittersdiner wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

For the 2017-18 season:
C/F Jordan Robinson Sr.
F/G Eric James 6-5 Sr.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Jr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 So.

C Michael Hughes 6-9 So.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Sr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 Jr.
G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. 
+ 2 recruits TBD 

Looks like another 10-win season on the horizon with that roster.

ICYMI, there's a new coach. Old one's gone. He has permission to bring you wherever he ends up. 

5/13/2017 10:39 am  #16

Right on El Duque.  First of all, Ritter had the older roster with Littleson instead of Castro.  Second, with even 5 returnees having a pretty good amount of A10 experience, predicting that level of pessimism is strange.  But looking at worst case, if Ritters 10 wins is right, at least we are not facing another 10 year plan.  I am not predicting wins until I see the schedule but I have a hunch my thoughts will be much more than 10.

5/13/2017 11:24 am  #17

There has also been upheaval at the top of the conference. New coaches for VCU and Dayton. While Davidson and RI are likely to remain tough, and LaSalle and GWU are improving, last year's coach and roster lost a bunch of tough games that would have been winnable with any kind of plan. Losing I-Mike is hard but Tydus looks like a similar player and we have, as you say, three of our best backcourt players returning. Take most of the non-con games, win 6-7-8 in the conference, look like we're being coached - that would be enough for me.

5/13/2017 11:42 am  #18

kcc173 wrote:

Right on El Duque. First of all, Ritter had the older roster with Littleson instead of Castro. Second, with even 5 returnees having a pretty good amount of A10 experience, predicting that level of pessimism is strange. But looking at worst case, if Ritters 10 wins is right, at least we are not facing another 10 year plan. I am not predicting wins until I see the schedule but I have a hunch my thoughts will be much more than 10.

The problem with a 10-man roster is that they still call fouls in NCAA basketball games.Add to that injuries and this could be really ugly.

5/13/2017 12:25 pm  #19

Yes, and they called fouls last year.  Lewis II and Smith appeared in all 32 games and fouled out zero times.  In fact the only players who fouled out multiple times last year were Blackman (2), D. Lewis (4), and Sanders (5).  All three are gone.  My point being that the vast upgrade in coaching will adjust to roster size and play accordingly.  Injuries you can do nothing about.  So - we will see - and I will enjoy the ride regardless

5/13/2017 4:38 pm  #20

Nee finished with 3 wins.
RE had 11 wins after Nee--and that win total
after an almost complete turnover of roster. Nor did  RE keep
any of Nee's recruits.
I plan to wait and see but KD is different than any coach hired at DU
in decades.

5/13/2017 6:15 pm  #21

Achara and AJax were holdovers from Nee.

5/13/2017 6:15 pm  #22

kcc173 wrote:

Right on El Duque. First of all, Ritter had the older roster with Littleson instead of Castro. Second, with even 5 returnees having a pretty good amount of A10 experience, predicting that level of pessimism is strange. But looking at worst case, if Ritters 10 wins is right, at least we are not facing another 10 year plan. I am not predicting wins until I see the schedule but I have a hunch my thoughts will be much more than 10.

kcc173, agreed that it is very hard to predict a win total when we haven't seen the schedule. But the A-10 will dictate that the Dukes have a very soft non-conference schedule (to try to maximize the overall conference RPI). It will be interesting to see if KD's non-conference scheduling will be different in the A-10 as compared to Akron's; a lot of fans there complained about the soft, uninteresting non-conference schedule. I don't think that many mid-major teams wanted to come into Akron's home court and I would guess that not many top 50 teams wanted to play Akron at all.  That being said, I will be extremely surprised if KD doesn't get to double digit wins in his first season.

5/14/2017 11:59 am  #23

It pains me to say it but I'm actually closer to Ritters than I am the rest of the crowd on where the team is next year. Like others have said, we need to wait till the schedule comes out before we start calling this an "x win" season but there are multiple significant question marks on this team including depth as he noted. Is there some upside? Sure, the backcourt looks solid, and Eric James and JR could finally realize their potential. I think Tydus can be good but like all freshman / sophomore bigs I'll default to patience. It's often something that gets glossed over, but old players will need to learn to play for Dambrot and the new players will need to learn to play with the old. Chemistry could lead to some unexpected non conference losses. 

I'll assume that I'm departing from Ritters now by saying how much I love the way this team sets up particularly 19-20 and beyond. We're looking at two potential building years in the next three after a rebuilding year this season. I don't know how they'll go yet, but I think things could get really interesting relatively fast after this year. 

Dambrot has nothing to prove to me. I believe he has already shown it during his career at Akron and hiring him would be akin to hiring Scott McKillop while Davidson was still in the Southern. That's why what he does in year one honestly doesn't matter to me anyway. They could win 1, 10 or 20 games and it wouldn't change my belief that he has skills to spare to get us making regular NIT appearances, competing in the A-10 and for at large bids at some point. I have no expectations for next season, but I'll have no problem if they over deliver. 

5/14/2017 12:50 pm  #24

steve19981 wrote:

It pains me to say it but I'm actually closer to Ritters than I am the rest of the crowd on where the team is next year. Like others have said, we need to wait till the schedule comes out before we start calling this an "x win" season but there are multiple significant question marks on this team including depth as he noted. Is there some upside? Sure, the backcourt looks solid, and Eric James and JR could finally realize their potential. I think Tydus can be good but like all freshman / sophomore bigs I'll default to patience. It's often something that gets glossed over, but old players will need to learn to play for Dambrot and the new players will need to learn to play with the old. Chemistry could lead to some unexpected non conference losses. 

I'll assume that I'm departing from Ritters now by saying how much I love the way this team sets up particularly 19-20 and beyond. We're looking at two potential building years in the next three after a rebuilding year this season. I don't know how they'll go yet, but I think things could get really interesting relatively fast after this year. 

Dambrot has nothing to prove to me. I believe he has already shown it during his career at Akron and hiring him would be akin to hiring Scott McKillop while Davidson was still in the Southern. That's why what he does in year one honestly doesn't matter to me anyway. They could win 1, 10 or 20 games and it wouldn't change my belief that he has skills to spare to get us making regular NIT appearances, competing in the A-10 and for at large bids at some point. I have no expectations for next season, but I'll have no problem if they over deliver. 

Steve, I agree. We should have little in the way of expectations for success this year. The win total this year will likely depend on how healthy the team stays with only nine scholarship players and how well the freshmen perform. That said, there certainly is some talent on this roster and based on his track record, I expect coach D to get the most out of it. I expect the non-conference schedule to be quite favorable this year, so don't be surprised if his team wins 15+ games.

5/14/2017 7:19 pm  #25

C/F Jordan Robinson Sr.
F/G Eric James 6-5 Sr.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Jr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 So.
G Rene Castro 6-2 Sr.

C Dylan Swingle 6-11 Fr.
C Michael Hughes 6-9 So.
G Tarin Smith 6-2 Sr.
G Mike Lewis II 6-0 Jr.
G Craig Randall 6-4 Jr. 
+ 2 recruits TBD 

Last edited by ElDuque (5/14/2017 8:24 pm)

Board footera