Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2017 12:10 pm  #1

Rene Castro

According to Jeff Goodman, Rene Castro will be staying after all. Your thoughts and how he fits in now given the current makeup of this roster.

5/06/2017 12:13 pm  #2

Re: Rene Castro

This is actually really good news. We needed the depth at guard and it will allow for three available scholarships for next year's recruiting class.

5/06/2017 12:26 pm  #3

Anybody else confused?  We are seemly at scholarship limit, then we heard that Littleson was leaving, then we offered Martin, then we heard Littleson was not leaving, then we hear Castro is returning, and now this...

Matthew Steinbrink‏ @MattSteinbrink  Lafayette graduate transfer Monty Boykins will visit Duquesne today, and then Pitt tomorrow.

Last edited by CLK (5/06/2017 12:28 pm)

5/06/2017 12:28 pm  #4

It's great news for our guard depth. Castro can handle and shoot.

But what does this mean in terms of the offers to incoming players? Castro's scholie slot (and Littleson's?) appears to have been allocated in the planning process.

5/06/2017 12:28 pm  #5

Yeah what in the world is going on?

Can someone call Dave?

Roll Dukes Roll

5/06/2017 12:32 pm  #6

currentstudent wrote:

Yeah what in the world is going on?

Can someone call Dave?

Better call Saul.

5/06/2017 12:32 pm  #7

I'm still confused but A10 Talk is reporting that Spencer will indeed transfer. If so, that means Rene will claim the last scholarship spot.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (5/06/2017 12:32 pm)

5/06/2017 12:46 pm  #8

Not sure why we are hosting  Monty Boykins today if we are out of scholarships?

5/06/2017 12:50 pm  #9

Dukes2012 wrote:

I'm still confused but A10 Talk is reporting that Spencer will indeed transfer. If so, that means Rene will claim the last scholarship spot.

Looks like that A10 Talk thing is still the May 4th posting. The disclaimers seem more recent (yesterday).

5/06/2017 12:52 pm  #10

applecorps wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Looks like that A10 Talk thing is still the May 4th posting. The disclaimers seem more recent (yesterday).

https://mobile.twitter.com/A10TalkDuquesne/status/860614451086729216

They didn't give their source. I think we've all learned to take everything with a grain of salt!

5/06/2017 12:53 pm  #11

Zach, I too think Castro staying is very helpful for our guard depth next year and he is sort of a proven value.  I also like the fact that we would then have 3 scholies for the Fall signing period and that really gives KD the opportunity to get 3 quality, well regarded kids.  One way or another though I hope we soon get an official DU press release regarding the final roster - this process seems to change daily.

5/06/2017 12:55 pm  #12

Concur with you 2012; I suspect if Boykins is in fact visiting they will tell him sign now or forget it.  Anyone with info on this Boykins (stats etc.).  If that happens then is Castro really staying?  Again, just want to finish this up.

5/06/2017 12:59 pm  #13

I would rather take Castro over littleson. He is an extremely talented player and we have seen flashes from him in the past. He has pedigree and I truly believe Dambrot could get the best out of him, which could be all A10 level if he maxed out his potential.

He likely looked to see what was out there and didn't find much interest. Your high school accolades don't carry much weight after a couple unproductive years at the college level. That being said, I think most people that have seen him play in person, especially at times last year, would agree that he has a ton of untapped potential

5/06/2017 1:29 pm  #14

Duques102 wrote:

I would rather take Castro over littleson. He is an extremely talented player and we have seen flashes from him in the past. He has pedigree and I truly believe Dambrot could get the best out of him, which could be all A10 level if he maxed out his potential.

He likely looked to see what was out there and didn't find much interest. Your high school accolades don't carry much weight after a couple unproductive years at the college level. That being said, I think most people that have seen him play in person, especially at times last year, would agree that he has a ton of untapped potential

Agree with this. No high level school would want him, and even at a lower level there's no guarantee that he would play. Might as well stay here. Plenty of floor time will be available.

5/06/2017 2:24 pm  #15

Boykins is a 6' 5" guard for Lafayette. Averaged 1.5 ppg  2016-17 down from 10 ppg for 2015-16
I sense some negotiating by KD and Castro with Boykins as a back up.

5/06/2017 3:25 pm  #16

Rene has that unique stop and go dribble drive that against the right match up was almost unstoppable at times, resulting in a lay up, foul and two free throws or some time the old and one, three point play.

Maybe the senior year could be a charm, after all he is a mature man with the strength and expierence to be a meaningful player. Hope it is true he will be here this upcoming season....

A diehard fan since 1961

5/06/2017 3:44 pm  #17

Looks like Boykins only played one game this past season he must have suffered an early injury.

5/06/2017 3:48 pm  #18

WashPaRick wrote:

Looks like Boykins only played one game this past season he must have suffered an early injury.

He did only play one game.  Here is his story.

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/05/04/monty-boykins-anticipates-pitt-visit/

5/06/2017 6:22 pm  #19

I spoke with someone in the know.

Coach is planning on a 53 man roster and 7 man taxi squad.

5/06/2017 10:42 pm  #20

ElDuque wrote:

I spoke with someone in the know.

Coach is planning on a 53 man roster and 7 man taxi squad.

I think they now call it a 7 man Uber squad.

5/07/2017 12:37 am  #21

Yes Montay Boykins was at the gym today with coach. I saw him while I myself was playing a little ball.

Roll Dukes Roll

5/07/2017 8:01 am  #22

CLK wrote:

Not sure why we are hosting  Monty Boykins today if we are out of scholarships?

Apparently he's also visiting Pitt while he's here. With all the holes in their roster, I'd expect him to go there.

5/07/2017 9:14 am  #23

I would say Pitt with one caveat...All of those players didn't leave Pitt just because of Pitt...some didn't like Stallings and I would say that Coach D. is probably more respected.  I agree that based on all of the holes and playing time, he will probably go there (Pitt)... but I believe if Coach D. really wants him, he can convince the young man to be a Duke!

5/07/2017 9:32 am  #24

Questions: When Rene Castro announced he was leaving, did he technically give up his scholarship? Does that mean that he becomes a walk-on? Does DU have to give him the scholarship if Littleson is leaving? Anyone who may have some insight to these questions, it would be greatly appreciated!

5/07/2017 9:44 am  #25

I thought I saw somewhere that all scholarships were renewed yearly. If that's the case a coach could tell a kid sorry I don't have a scholarship for you this year. Probably wouldn't last too long as a coach operating that way.Of course I might be wrong about the yearly renewing but someone out there will be correcting me soon if it's not the case.

Board footera