Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2017 7:54 pm  #1

5/15/2017 8:00 pm  #2

Re: Positive Press

I always welcome good press, but man, that coaching search rumor is the myth that won't die.

5/15/2017 8:20 pm  #3

Wasn't he one of the bloggers fueling the rumor mill?

5/16/2017 1:13 pm  #4

Despite the craziness of the coaching search, Duquesne won the offseason so far in the A10 in my opinion. 

- Arguably hired the best coach of any team in the conference. Easily hired the most accomplished. 
- Created local and national buzz with the hire 
- Reversed one of their star freshman's decisions to transfer. 
- Rebuilt the roster with both depth and talent (on paper) at every position by year two. 
- Added a Power 5 player with the first scholarship for 2018, one of only five 2018 commitments in the conference t this point. 

I don't know how things will be this year or next, but it's not hard to imagine huge steps forward in years 3 and 4. 

5/20/2017 12:18 pm  #5

Can't get better press than National Television!  This post isn't about politics, but President Gormley was on CNN this morning discussing issues with the current President.  They of course first said that he was President of Duquesne University.  They also listed a number of books he had written which I was unaware of!  Was great hearing Duquesne's name and seeing him on television.

Last edited by FAM (5/20/2017 12:18 pm)

5/20/2017 1:57 pm  #6

FAM wrote:

Can't get better press than National Television!  This post isn't about politics, but President Gormley was on CNN this morning discussing issues with the current President.  They of course first said that he was President of Duquesne University.  They also listed a number of books he had written which I was unaware of!  Was great hearing Duquesne's name and seeing him on television.

Gormley is a man that is very plugged in with the Washington DC crowd. When I was at the law school, we had Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas visit the school. There's no doubt in my mind that he knows the importance of getting the Duquesne name out there, which is why he has been so supportive of the men's basketball program.

5/20/2017 4:40 pm  #7

Dukes2012 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Gormley is a man that is very plugged in with the Washington DC crowd. When I was at the law school, we had Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas visit the school. There's no doubt in my mind that he knows the importance of getting the Duquesne name out there, which is why he has been so supportive of the men's basketball program.

Agreed, and while I never wrote a report on the alumni meeting with Gormley a few months ago, I observed in his remarks that he understood the value of that.  And another take I got is when he led off his remarks about the history of Pittsburgh, the growth of the city and that it was Duquesne, not then Carnegie Tech or even Western University of Pennsylvania that provided the human capital for the expansion of Pittsburgh.  He seemed to say it's time we stopped being ignored and considering ourselves second or third class citizens in the minds and hearts of the local populace. I whole-heartedly agree.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (5/20/2017 5:11 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/20/2017 4:56 pm  #8

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Agreed, and while I never wrote a report on the alumni meeting with Gormley a few months ago, I observed in his remarks that he understood the value of that.  And another take I got is when he led off his remarks about the history of Pittsburgh, the growth of the city and that it was Duquesne, not then Carnegie Tech or even the College of the Northwest that provided the human capital for the expansion of Pittsburgh.  He seemed to say it's time we stopped being ignored and considering ourselves second or third class citizens in the minds and hearts of the local populace. I whole-heartedly agree.

What on earth is the college of the northwest? Northwestern?

5/20/2017 5:10 pm  #9

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Agreed, and while I never wrote a report on the alumni meeting with Gormley a few months ago, I observed in his remarks that he understood the value of that.  And another take I got is when he led off his remarks about the history of Pittsburgh, the growth of the city and that it was Duquesne, not then Carnegie Tech or even Western Unversity of Pennsylvania that provided the human capital for the expansion of Pittsburgh.  He seemed to say it's time we stopped being ignored and considering ourselves second or third class citizens in the minds and hearts of the local populace. I whole-heartedly agree.

What on earth is the college of the northwest? Northwestern?

Fixed

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (5/20/2017 5:12 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/20/2017 6:01 pm  #10

Dr. Gormley is a 5 tool president: author, legal scholar, educator, leader, and basketball fan.

Board footera