Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2017 10:01 am  #1

RCastro

Nice little article in PSNow about Castro staying.  Seems impressed with KD and clearly what they are telling him makes abundant sense.  As myself and others have also said, 3 scholies for 2018 is a good thing and I am excited to see how KD closes out that class in November!

5/23/2017 10:48 am  #2

Re: RCastro

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/05/23/rene-castro-finish-collegiate-career-duke/

As a graduate transfer, Castro could have played elsewhere right away. I'm glad he stayed because I don't think the previous coach got everything he could out of Castro.

5/23/2017 11:39 am  #3

ElDuque wrote:

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/05/23/rene-castro-finish-collegiate-career-duke/

As a graduate transfer, Castro could have played elsewhere right away. I'm glad he stayed because I don't think the previous coach got everything he could out of Castro.

Where could he have gone though? He hasn't done much here, so no big school is gonna want him. Would he rather drop down to the AE, or NEC? Staying is the best choice. He'll play a ton. If Ferry was still here, I'd tell him to go.

5/23/2017 12:55 pm  #4

A school that recruited him before he went to Butler. A coach who knows him from his AAU days. Someone looking to fill an open backcourt slot with a player who originally graded as a 3* (am I right about that last one?).

5/23/2017 2:01 pm  #5

ElDuque wrote:

A school that recruited him before he went to Butler. A coach who knows him from his AAU days. Someone looking to fill an open backcourt slot with a player who originally graded as a 3* (am I right about that last one?).

Yes you are, he was also the Gatorade player of the year, signifying him as being the best player in the state of Massachusetts for his graduating class.

That's not like 2a player of the year, he was the outright number 1 prospect in the state across all divisions.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.maxpreps.com/m/article_amp.aspx%3Farticleid%3D68c1d2c5-8e82-4f59-8b3b-61379d42ca26

Last edited by Duques102 (5/23/2017 2:04 pm)

5/23/2017 3:20 pm  #6

I now am glad he stayed, he is a senior and Possibly will blossom under Coach D and his system.

A diehard fan since 1961

5/23/2017 5:22 pm  #7

I am also glad that Castro stayed.  I think he can have a big senior year and help this team. However, there are two things that I am hopeful that KD can correct to make this happen. First, is that Castro dribbled too much last year.  Many times he would runoff 20 seconds going nowhere resulting in forced bad shots.  This was more on Ferry than Castro as there was no movement on offense as guys seemed content to watch him dribble.  Secondly Castro needs to work hard to play better defense. However, this can be said of all the returning players.

5/23/2017 5:49 pm  #8

CLK wrote:

I am also glad that Castro stayed.  I think he can have a big senior year and help this team. However, there are two things that I am hopeful that KD can correct to make this happen. First, is that Castro dribbled too much last year.  Many times he would runoff 20 seconds going nowhere resulting in forced bad shots.  This was more on Ferry than Castro as there was no movement on offense as guys seemed content to watch him dribble.  Secondly Castro needs to work hard to play better defense. However, this can be said of all the returning players.

Agreed with all of this. When you looked at Castro in high school, he was a pure shooter. The link to his Mr. Basketball profile has him hitting 3's at above 40% clip. Rene did show a nice handle last year as far as getting out of the press, but anything resembling drive penetration was awkward at best. He's been thrown into the 1 spot for the past two years with little effectiveness. I can't say that the lack of effectiveness is totally his fault, as every guard for the past few years was told/forced/allowed to dribble to the inside and hope that something would open up, or pass around the outskirts. I'm hoping that he can rediscover what made him so successful in the past and that this translates into his future.

5/24/2017 8:43 am  #9

Rene could be an important part of the team next year. Could make the difference between winning and losing lots of games. Just hoping that he is able to get off to a good start and find some momentum for the season. An understatement to say that the team will need his best basketball to have any sort of success this coming season. Senior leadership!

Board footera