Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2017 4:23 pm  #1

New roster is up

Nick Washington is on it. 

7/06/2017 5:30 pm  #2

Re: New roster is up

OK there are 18 players on this roster.  Three we know for sure are walk-ons: Davis, Taylor & Snyder.  That leaves 15 including Washington, two over the limit.  It is assumed that Washington is paying his own way as a walk-on since he was never officially announced (still wondering if he will be eligible this year).  That leaves one over scholarship limit with the Frankie Hughes transfer to DU.

Looking at the roster, both Robinson and Castro have graduated and playing as grad students.  Maybe one of these two have given up their athletic scholarship, and competing on academic scholarship which I believe is permissible under NCAA rules.  

Taking this one step further, let's assume Washington is paying his own way this year, could that mean that two of the three scholarships available for 2018-2019 now be accounted for with Swingle & Washington?

The roster (as currently posted on the Official Site  http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/duqu-m-baskbl-mtt.html  )  does not provide any answers. Maybe some curious reporter might provide these answers.

Last edited by CLK (7/06/2017 5:33 pm)

7/06/2017 5:44 pm  #3

CLK wrote:

OK there are 18 players on this roster.  Three we know for sure are walk-ons: Davis, Taylor & Snyder.  That leaves 15 including Washington, two over the limit.  It is assumed that Washington is paying his own way as a walk-on since he was never officially announced (still wondering if he will be eligible this year).  That leaves one over scholarship limit with the Frankie Hughes transfer to DU.

Looking at the roster, both Robinson and Castro have graduated and playing as grad students.  Maybe one of these two have given up their athletic scholarship, and competing on academic scholarship which I believe is permissible under NCAA rules.  

Taking this one step further, let's assume Washington is paying his own way this year, could that mean that two of the three scholarships available for 2018-2019 now be accounted for with Swingle & Washington?

The roster (as currently posted on the Official Site  http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/duqu-m-baskbl-mtt.html  )  does not provide any answers. Maybe some curious reporter might provide these answers.

I immediately thought that either Castro or Robinson are on some kind of academic scholarship when I saw they were listed as grad students. I'm sure we'll find out for sure at some point, but this seems to potentially answer our scholarship question.

7/06/2017 7:49 pm  #4

CLK, I have to think that Washington is a walk on.  He and Taylor provide a little more depth this year.  Interesting moves; stay tuned.

7/08/2017 8:45 am  #5

I agree Phoenix.  I also think whatever qualifications issues he had must have been (or will be)  cleared up or he would not be on the official roster (I am guessing here).  I got to wonder about him.  He appears to be a D1 scholarship quality player.   You recall that he was one of KD's first offers.  In addition to DU he had some high major interest visiting Florida State and Georgetown.  That is why I speculated that maybe he is paying his way this year but will be on scholarship next year.  

7/08/2017 2:12 pm  #6

I never thought we be able to add N. Washington to the bigs KD has already recruited so I am thrilled.  The fact that he can play this year will give us some good size behind JR inside.  The kid had interest from GTown and Florida State and I suspect that KD's relationship with his Dad and KD's reputation for developing players is how we got him.  Now that the roster is set I am pumped up for this season - season tickets paid for.  Here is another thing that crossed my mind when looking at the conference schedule - do we finally have a Coach who knows what to do when we play Richmond and Davidson???  My guess is that we have lost probably 90% of games played against those two teams since they came in the league and not one of our prior coaches had an answer for the style they play - good shooting, passing, defense and fundamental bball.  I can't wait to see KD's approach and I am confident he will not be doing this trying to figure out what to do...............................

Go Dukes! 

7/08/2017 7:47 pm  #7

Hey El Duque and WashPaRick !  After a seven year absence, I'm back. The dawn of a new era of Duquesne basketball.   BTW, whats that undet your arm ???

7/08/2017 8:20 pm  #8

Somerset24 wrote:

Hey El Duque and WashPaRick !  After a seven year absence, I'm back. The dawn of a new era of Duquesne basketball.   BTW, whats that undet your arm ???

Do it rhyme with 💩?

7/08/2017 9:28 pm  #9

Somerset24 wrote:

Hey El Duque and WashPaRick ! After a seven year absence, I'm back. The dawn of a new era of Duquesne basketball. BTW, whats that undet your arm ???

Welcome back and you gonna like it.

7/09/2017 8:58 am  #10

Somerset24 wrote:

Welcome back, Somerset24. Your handle got me thinking on a Sunday morning.

Willie averaged 22.7 points in his Dukes 3 year career, without the benefit of the 3 point shot. A remarkable stat.

Willie's 24 is retired, but I noticed that on the roster, they have Nick Washington wearing #10, Norm Nixon's retired jersey, and Eric Williams Jr. wearing #11, Sihugo Green's retired number. I'm sure those will change.

7/09/2017 10:15 am  #11

I was lucky to have seen Wonderful Willie play, this kid was built like a brick house and could jump, penetrate and score from just about anywhere.

Being about 14 and just learning about basketball I didn't truley grasp Somerset's greatness or the best basketball player in the city, 19 year old Connie Hawkins who was scoring 50 and pulling down 25 boards for the ABA Pittsburgh RENs . But I was learning......

A diehard fan since 1961

7/09/2017 12:02 pm  #12

Thanks guys !   Willie was my man way back when.  Never did see him play in person.  My father and older brother saw him play for Farrell High and the Dukes.  Lots of stories of his great performances.

7/10/2017 8:54 am  #13

Willie's final year art DU was my freshman year. Would have missed him altogether but for the fact that he sat out a year due to injury. I never saw a better player in person than Willie Somerset! Team needed more than Willie and guard Ron Willard and really didn't have a great record that year. Think something like 14-10 but not sure if I am 100% correct on that. Long time ago!

7/10/2017 10:37 am  #14

Willie hurt his leg after 61-62 Final Four NIT year (with Mike Rice ) who was an Honerable Mention All America Forward at 6-2'
Willie sat out that next year and then finished up as All America in 1965, I think.

Remember, Willie was following a long string of NYC players from the 1950's when the Dukes had a tradition of fine black players when it was uncommon for many schools other than the Catholics to have multiple black athletics on their teams.
Of course, Willie was from Farrell High and caused a stir when Mossie Murphy took Red Manning to his home and got him to reneg on his verbal to NYU and come to Duquesne. NYU was pissed and voweled to never schedule Duquesne again........

A diehard fan since 1961

7/10/2017 11:35 am  #15

Phildog wrote:

NYU was pissed and voweled to never schedule Duquesne again........

Apparently, we never recovered from that.

7/10/2017 12:51 pm  #16

ElDuque wrote:

Phildog wrote:

NYU was pissed and voweled to never schedule Duquesne again........

Apparently, we never recovered from that.

At that time NYC was a big recruiting area for Duquesne with a game in Madison Square Gardens once a year. We then started to schedule Army or St. Peter's to keep our presence in NYC . Remember several years later All America Mention Lionel Billingy came from the city, along with Ed Searcy who left school and later starred at St. John's University.

Until Efrem Whitehead was picked up by John Carroll the NYC pipeline stopped.

The NYU reference less important when they down graded their program and NYC kids stared to go out to the south, mid west and far west to play, this of course was before Big East Days and the hey day of Eastern Basketball of the 1980-1990 era's.

A diehard fan since 1961

7/10/2017 1:18 pm  #17

I'm talking about the much bigger curse than that, Phil. The one that has kept us on the outside looking in when it comes to the NCAA Tournament. Perhaps shedding ourselves of the LI Brickbuilder will end the curse.

7/10/2017 7:17 pm  #18

Next trip to Pittsburgh requires a visit to Palumbo Center to see Willie Somerset's retired #24.  That jersey only represents half of Willie's games.  He wore #25 on the road.  Duquesne players wore road numbers one digit high on the road.  I think they were all odd numbers.  Anybody know when this practiced stopped at Duquesne?

7/10/2017 8:15 pm  #19

Roster is no longer up.

?

7/10/2017 8:32 pm  #20

Hmmm.  The mystery of the additional scholarship may be solved in a revision

7/10/2017 8:37 pm  #21

Maybe they saw phoenix's post about the retired numbers and are waiting for the new ones to be issued.

7/10/2017 8:39 pm  #22

Washes - I like that option much better!

7/11/2017 12:23 pm  #23

Washpa was correct!  Roster back up with new numbers.  Whew!

7/11/2017 1:48 pm  #24

Just in case it disappears again:

1 Mike Lewis II SO G 6-1 185 St. Louis, Mo./Chaminade
2 Eric James SR F 6-6 215 Westerville, Ohio/Westerville Central
3 Tarin Smith JR G 6-2 185 Ocean Township, N.J./St. Anthony/Nebraska
4 Rene Castro-Caneddy GS G 6-2 195 Boston, Mass./Worcester Academy/Butler
22 Marko Krivacevic JR F 6-9 215 Szombathely, Hungary/Nikola Tesla/Miami Dade College
23 Nick Washington FR F 6-8 235 San Juan, Puerto Rico/South Kent (Conn.) School
25 Tydus Verhoeven FR F 6-8 215 Manteca, Calif./Manteca
32 Zach Snyder JR F 6-5 210 Cranberry Township, Pa./Seneca Valley
34 Nicholas Kratholm FR F 6-8 220 Louisville, Ky./IMG (Fla.) Academy
35 Kellon Taylor SO F 6-5 220 Landover, Md./DeMatha Catholic
50 Eric Williams Jr. FR G 6-5 190 New Haven, Mich./New Haven
53 Caleb Davis SO G 6-0 175 New Kensington, Pa./Valley
55 Jordan Robinson GS C 6-8 255 Toronto, Ontario/Quality Education Academy (N.C.)

7/11/2017 2:50 pm  #25

ElDuque wrote:

Just in case it disappears again:

1 Mike Lewis II SO G 6-1 185 St. Louis, Mo./Chaminade
2 Eric James SR F 6-6 215 Westerville, Ohio/Westerville Central
3 Tarin Smith JR G 6-2 185 Ocean Township, N.J./St. Anthony/Nebraska
4 Rene Castro-Caneddy GS G 6-2 195 Boston, Mass./Worcester Academy/Butler
22 Marko Krivacevic JR F 6-9 215 Szombathely, Hungary/Nikola Tesla/Miami Dade College
23 Nick Washington FR F 6-8 235 San Juan, Puerto Rico/South Kent (Conn.) School
25 Tydus Verhoeven FR F 6-8 215 Manteca, Calif./Manteca
32 Zach Snyder JR F 6-5 210 Cranberry Township, Pa./Seneca Valley
34 Nicholas Kratholm FR F 6-8 220 Louisville, Ky./IMG (Fla.) Academy
35 Kellon Taylor SO F 6-5 220 Landover, Md./DeMatha Catholic
50 Eric Williams Jr. FR G 6-5 190 New Haven, Mich./New Haven
53 Caleb Davis SO G 6-0 175 New Kensington, Pa./Valley
55 Jordan Robinson GS C 6-8 255 Toronto, Ontario/Quality Education Academy (N.C.)

Wow, I think we have more size with Dambrots "hodgepodge year" roster than multiple years with Ferry having all of his own guys on an established roster. 4 guys at 6'8" and one at 6'9". All should contribute next year.

We are used to hearing excuses from the previous coaching staff. Based on how this roster looks for this year and next, especially considering the fact that Dambrot has been here for about 2 or 3 months, I am guessing the excuses will be few and far between going forward.

Rene's new last name is going to struggle to fit on his jersey as well. Perhaps he got married and didn't want to take his wife's last name solely??? 😂

Board footera