Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/27/2017 8:58 am  #1

What to Expect/What you want to see in 2017-18

Saw stuff related to this in the vegas thread and wanted to open this up as it's own topic as I think it deserves one.

I think with all the variables and new faces going into this season, you could make a legitimate argument that this team could go around .500, maybe a little less, and maybe have an unexpected season with some success.

Next year isn't super important to me from a game results perspective as the team will look completely different the following season and many of next year's starters are likely sitting on the bench this year (Hughes, Hughes, Randall, weathers). We will also have swingle the following year and will be losing two starters from this year's team (James and Robinson). Bottom line, 2018 is the year I could see 20 wins, but this year is still important.

Some things I would like to see this year:

Dambrots offensive and defensive game planning and schemes being put into place.

Mike Lewis really stepping into the team leader role and making it his own.

Seeing which of the young guys look like they can step up and be big contributors going forward with the transfers. (The two euros, Williams, verhoeven and Washington).

I want to see teams that lock down on d and execute on offense down the stretch rather than blowing leads, just smarter basketball being shown from the players.

7/27/2017 10:39 am  #2

Re: What to Expect/What you want to see in 2017-18

I do not know what to expect as far as wins and losses and to predict that now isnt worth talking.What I want
to see is good  defense, being able to change from man to man and going to a zone without any excuses that the players just dont seem to grasp,taking charges  and defensive rebounding,boxing out,limiting a team to one and done. Creating hesitation from the opposition as  to what Duquesne is doing defensively.
 Ferry was clueless on the defensive side and this is where Duquesne might surprise if the defensive fundamentals
improve . Dambrot said that was his main focus with coaching a team.
 Getting into the offense early in shot clock and valuing that a layup has more of a chance of going in the basket
as opposed to chucking up the threes with 2 seconds on the clock because the weave wasted so much time .
Pat Chambers is in trouble if hes counting on anything from Ferrys basketball insight.Ferry was a poor teacher.

7/27/2017 5:58 pm  #3

Plus Stew we have too many 6-8 and 6-9 players that will play and no 5-8 guard tandem to make three point shooter's eyes light up, knowing they can shoot and make 3's at will.......

A diehard fan since 1961

7/28/2017 7:58 am  #4

stew wrote:

I do not know what to expect as far as wins and losses and to predict that now isnt worth talking.What I want
to see is good  defense, being able to change from man to man and going to a zone without any excuses that the players just dont seem to grasp,taking charges  and defensive rebounding,boxing out,limiting a team to one and done. Creating hesitation from the opposition as  to what Duquesne is doing defensively.
 Ferry was clueless on the defensive side and this is where Duquesne might surprise if the defensive fundamentals
improve . Dambrot said that was his main focus with coaching a team.
 Getting into the offense early in shot clock and valuing that a layup has more of a chance of going in the basket
as opposed to chucking up the threes with 2 seconds on the clock because the weave wasted so much time .
Pat Chambers is in trouble if hes counting on anything from Ferrys basketball insight.Ferry was a poor teacher.

KD almost never plays zone....man to man almost exclusively.  Kids will earn their minutes by the amount of effort on the defensive end.

7/29/2017 9:27 am  #5

I agree with other posters that I really don't know what to expect from a W/L standpoint - the soft non-con helps quite a bit...but with so much transition and so much "new" I'm not going to feel too bad if we fall below .500. 

What I want to see is improvement on the defensive side of the ball and a team that gets coached up in the last 5 minutes of close games (I guess you could count this as an expectation...which is really an indictment of what we have seen over the last few years). Oh, and when my girlfriend and I watch a game - I don't want to hear her comment "are you kidding? I could break that zone". It's the little things this year.

Go Dukes!

7/29/2017 2:36 pm  #6

Simple.  Improved attendance and pride in the program.  Moving forward without excuses.  Record doesn't matter to me next year.

7/29/2017 3:03 pm  #7

Between 12.8 and 16.4 wins.

7/29/2017 3:48 pm  #8

duqkurt wrote:

Simple. Improved attendance and pride in the program. Moving forward without excuses. Record doesn't matter to me next year.

I think we'll see more alums at the games, but non alums won't come until the team starts to win at a high level.

7/29/2017 3:58 pm  #9

duq81 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Simple. Improved attendance and pride in the program. Moving forward without excuses. Record doesn't matter to me next year.

I think we'll see more alums at the games, but non alums won't come until the team starts to win at a high level.

Yes. I should have made that clearer.  Having the core fans return.  Alumni and some students.

7/29/2017 4:52 pm  #10

33 wins, A10 Championship and NCAA Final 4.  

7/29/2017 5:36 pm  #11

1. Defense. Tough and hard, in your face, make them turn over the ball, Defense........  I was always a huge fan of John Cheney's great Temple teams!

Defense! Did I mention defense?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

7/29/2017 7:11 pm  #12

Great point.   The staff and faculty of DU do NOTHING to support athletics beyond their paychecks.   That has to change.   

It is up to Gourmley to change that.

7/29/2017 8:05 pm  #13

steve19981 wrote:

Between 12.8 and 16.4 wins.

I had a HS teacher who used to tell us that we would all have 2.8 children.

Long pause.

On average.

​But for the Dukes: defense. For the program: progress, not bricks.

7/30/2017 8:48 am  #14

I expect we will see: fundamental, disciplined basketball on both ends. A well coached team.

on offense-fluid ball movement, moving without the ball, big men using their bodies to create space. screens. the old "be hard to guard" mantra, triple threat positions
no standing around while one guy dribbles for 30sec and then launches a 3

on d- ball you man, in your face defense with a lot of talking and communicating. smooth switching. making the other team; uncomfortable starting their offense from half court

on both sides--boxing out and crashing to boards.

no idea how many wins that will translate into this year, but the future is very bright on the bluff.

*instead of a brick by brick approach, i think this season will be about laying a solid foundation

Last edited by heelsdukesfan (7/30/2017 8:50 am)

7/30/2017 10:00 am  #15

heelsdukesfan wrote:

I expect we will see: fundamental, disciplined basketball on both ends. A well coached team.

on offense-fluid ball movement, moving without the ball, big men using their bodies to create space. screens. the old "be hard to guard" mantra, triple threat positions
no standing around while one guy dribbles for 30sec and then launches a 3

on d- ball you man, in your face defense with a lot of talking and communicating. smooth switching. making the other team; uncomfortable starting their offense from half court

on both sides--boxing out and crashing to boards.

no idea how many wins that will translate into this year, but the future is very bright on the bluff.

*instead of a brick by brick approach, i think this season will be about laying a solid foundation

all valid hopes.  I do think however that play will be a bit ragged thru the first 1/3 or so of the season due to the incredible influx of new players. 

count me as cautiously optimistic.

7/30/2017 11:06 am  #16

ghost wrote:

all valid hopes.  I do think however that play will be a bit ragged thru the first 1/3 or so of the season due to the incredible influx of new players. 

count me as cautiously optimistic.

This is where the soft schedule will help. We have to keep in mind that most people are not paying close attention, the way we are. A tough schedule, that leads to a 9-23 record only feeds the "same old Duquesne" line of thinking among the non hardcore. No coach who lost 20 games in a season at Duquesne ever became successful.

7/31/2017 6:49 am  #17

I expect 8-11 wins but I also expect them to play better at the end of the season, be a tough win for other teams. That would show me progress.

Board footera