Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2017 9:04 pm  #1

TO THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO WORK AT DUQUESNE ATHLETIC DEPT

Dr.Gormley has stuck his neck out on the chopping block and I am sure there are a few people at Duquesne
who arent very happy with all the money being allocated for coaches salary,having to pay clueless Ferry
2 more years for his last few years of buffoonery. Palumbos renovation.Training table.,etc.
  Believe you me Dr. Gormley and Mr Harper know whats at stake with mens basketball and that is their jobs and
reputation.Duquesne is going to the point of no return,this experiment in funding athletics is no longer  just business
as usual in the athletic department.That attendance had better improve dramatically because its important to DR.
Gormley and Mr. Harper.Its no longer earning a paycheck and putting in the 40 hours a week because I am sure
a energetic,self-motivated young ambitious replacement can be found to  replace  folks  who think its business as
usual at good ole Duquesne U.  athletic dept.Excellence is the new word of the day at Duquesne.
   There are lots and lots of money being exchanged and at the end of the day some of that money better be headed back to Duquesne because money makes the world go round.The days of whatever will be will be comes
to a close at  the athletics dept at Duquesne U. IT WILL TAKE A LOT MORE THAN THE COACH TO WORK HARD.
IN GORMLEY WE TRUST.!!!!!!!!!

7/30/2017 9:50 pm  #2

Re: TO THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO WORK AT DUQUESNE ATHLETIC DEPT

stew wrote:

Dr.Gormley has stuck his neck out on the chopping block and I am sure there are a few people at Duquesne
who arent very happy with all the money being allocated for coaches salary,having to pay clueless Ferry
2 more years for his last few years of buffoonery. Palumbos renovation.Training table.,etc.
  Believe you me Dr. Gormley and Mr Harper know whats at stake with mens basketball and that is their jobs and
reputation.Duquesne is going to the point of no return,this experiment in funding athletics is no longer  just business
as usual in the athletic department.That attendance had better improve dramatically because its important to DR.
Gormley and Mr. Harper.Its no longer earning a paycheck and putting in the 40 hours a week because I am sure
a energetic,self-motivated young ambitious replacement can be found to  replace  folks  who think its business as
usual at good ole Duquesne U.  athletic dept.Excellence is the new word of the day at Duquesne.
   There are lots and lots of money being exchanged and at the end of the day some of that money better be headed back to Duquesne because money makes the world go round.The days of whatever will be will be comes
to a close at  the athletics dept at Duquesne U. IT WILL TAKE A LOT MORE THAN THE COACH TO WORK HARD.
IN GORMLEY WE TRUST.!!!!!!!!!

All of that is true, but the bottom line is that the team has to win, and at a high level. We may be able to increase attendance and such of long suffering alums, but no college sports teams can survive with only alumni support. You have to get non Duquesne butts in the seats, and only winning is going to do that. When you see all the empty seats at the Pete this coming season, you can bet that the vast majority of them were formerly filled with non alums. These are the people who love a winner, and they will have no problem finding Palumbo, and PPG, if the Dukes start tearing it up.

7/31/2017 11:00 am  #3

Good post Stew.  Coach Dambrot has the full support of President Gormley and AD Harper.  He does not need to be saddled by the lazy culture in the AD Department exhibited under Amodio that undercut Ron Everhart, and showed little initiative in support of Ferry.  I am sure Dave Harper will make sure that does not happen.  

In this regard, I continue to be amazed at the good things I see and hear happening at DU with Coach Dambrot.  A friend of mine recently told me of a recent fund raiser to try to get back support from former season ticket holders.  Gormley, Dambrot, Harper and some of his staff were there.  At this meeting KD got up and told the crowd that before he decided to come to DU he spoke to a very good friend of his.  He said that his friend told him that he could win at DU if he received the full support of the Administration, staff, and alums.  Gormley & Harper convinced him that he will have what he needs to be successful and will have the full support of the AD Department.  He then went on to say that the very good friend who's counsel he sought before making his decision was Ron Everhart. Then (calling out the rats) he said that he thought it was disgraceful for Duquesne to have fired him the way the did.  

I am told that that evening was highly successful in signing up former season ticket holders.  What a class act by both Dambrot, and  Ron Everhart. I have always loved and respected Ron, but my respect has grown even more.  It would have been easy for Ron to hold a gruge and bad mouth DU, but he didn't do that.    Hopefully all the alums will let go of their grudges and rally behind Coach Dambrot and support this program.

Last edited by CLK (7/31/2017 11:08 am)

7/31/2017 12:25 pm  #4

Ron Everhart is a good coach and  I always will be grateful for  his time at Duquesne.Its too bad he didnt
get treated right ,he was a good coach,good personable guy who was great for the fans.His bosses sucked
and unless you get total support from the administration it wont work.Huggins may be the head coach but
Everhart has his prints all over their team with the uptempo pressure WVU puts on you.

7/31/2017 12:36 pm  #5

They invested in a coach, now invest in a PR campaign.  Billboards, radio commercials on something other than 970AM, and maybe a tv ad or two mixed in.  Someone at DU needs to get "in" with a local new/sports director, get some interviews on kdka or wtae sports in the evening, have them show more highlights, and run a story on Mike Lewis, let the people know we have he best college player in the city on OUR roster.  A better web page for athletics.  DU has plenty of students who could work that page for all the teams and do a better job.  And promote clothing sales with the new Nike stuff.   Have a contest to give away a pair of LeBron shoes, or something LeBron, to the student section each home game....watch them show up.

7/31/2017 3:31 pm  #6

townsonkid wrote:

They invested in a coach, now invest in a PR campaign.  Billboards, radio commercials on something other than 970AM, and maybe a tv ad or two mixed in.  Someone at DU needs to get "in" with a local new/sports director, get some interviews on kdka or wtae sports in the evening, have them show more highlights, and run a story on Mike Lewis, let the people know we have he best college player in the city on OUR roster.  A better web page for athletics.  DU has plenty of students who could work that page for all the teams and do a better job.  And promote clothing sales with the new Nike stuff.   Have a contest to give away a pair of LeBron shoes, or something LeBron, to the student section each home game....watch them show up.

Most of these are good ideas, but you're not going to make the tv stations do anything. They'll show more highlights when they think there is a demand for it. Winning will create the demand.

7/31/2017 3:53 pm  #7

The old days and the old ways of working with the media are long gone. Media these days, with all the cutbacks and layoffs, will take content that you develop and use it like a boss. Put as many nice video highlights and interview clips as we can out there, and we'll be on TV.

Dambrot has already earned his way onto some choice TV stories, including ESPN to talk about LeBron.

A good, entertaining season and we'll be fine in terms of TV coverage.

One of the ironies of playing so many home games is that we'll likely set a record for live coverage from the PG, TR, and the shared DK reporter who also has Bobby Mo, Allegheny Community College, Gannon, Gateway HS, and Little Tykes to cover. Plus I'd expect more coverage from Mike V. and Pittsburgh Sports Now this season ... mightcouldbe some dedicated coverage. 

7/31/2017 6:06 pm  #8

Win and they will come

7/31/2017 6:59 pm  #9

FAM wrote:

Win and they will come

This is it. When you've largely been garbage for 45 years, it's not surprising there's not much interest beyond some alums, and a few old timers who remember the "glory days". Duquesne was a much smaller school back in the 50s, and 60s, and despite the Pirates, Steelers, and Pitt being around, the Dukes got major coverage. You know why? Because there were lots of fans that wanted to read and hear about the Dukes. Why was that? Because the program won at a high level. Most of the people I know have zero interest in the Dukes, because the Dukes have never given them a reason to be interested. Start winning at a high level, and the bandwagon will fill up.

8/01/2017 7:43 am  #10

"Gosh Wally, lets try nothing new, and all they have to do is win because they have a new coach, and everything will be swell" - Beaver Cleaver circa 1955.

8/01/2017 10:08 am  #11

Play exciting basketball, win most of your home games and put up 20 wins a year and NIT and NCAA at times and folks will come out.

We would fill Palumbo back in John Carrolls day during the 13-16 years and the NIT year, it was hot, loud and exciting to see Big Alan Watkins running down court with his tong out and thunder dunking. Skinny James Hargrove muscling his way inside to score, coming back from 18 to upset 10th ranked Fl. State with Bobby Surra, Charlie Ward and Co. Flabbergasted!

Do that and they will come.

A diehard fan since 1961

8/01/2017 10:35 am  #12

I was there then, early 90s, it was fun.  I can still remember.  I missed the FSU game, was studying for an anatomy and physiology final.  I heard cheers from the Palumbo all the way up in Towers.
Charlie Ward didnt play tho, correct, he was prepping for a bowl game?

8/01/2017 10:52 am  #13

townsonkid wrote:

I was there then, early 90s, it was fun.  I can still remember.  I missed the FSU game, was studying for an anatomy and physiology final.  I heard cheers from the Palumbo all the way up in Towers.

You're right; no Charlie Ward; but Bobby Sura had a ridiculous game.  I remember thinking throughout the game how different the Dukes' fortunes would have been if Sura committed to the Dukes instead of the Seminoles.
Box score below.
http://nolefan.org/ref/b1992_12_15_sid.pdf

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (8/01/2017 10:52 am)

8/01/2017 11:09 am  #14

Phildog wrote:

Play exciting basketball, win most of your home games and put up 20 wins a year and NIT and NCAA at times and folks will come out.

We would fill Palumbo back in John Carrolls day during the 13-16 years and the NIT year, it was hot, loud and exciting to see Big Alan Watkins running down court with his tong out and thunder dunking. Skinny James Hargrove muscling his way inside to score, coming back from 18 to upset 10th ranked Fl. State with Bobby Surra, Charlie Ward and Co. Flabbergasted!

Do that and they will come.

I remember that place jammed to the rafters in 93 when the Dukes upset #18 Xavier where John Carroll out-coached Pete Gilhen. The joint was jumping and it was electric!  I remember Xavier leaving the court to our racuous cheer of "Over-Rated....Over-Rated!!!!!!!"

It was filled a couple of times during Ron's tenure, especially the "Rocky/underdog/Hoosiers 10/40" era and let's not forget we knocked of Xavier a couple of times in front of packed houses.

It will not be that hard to fill the house again if things get rolling in the right direction.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/01/2017 11:12 am  #15

townsonkid wrote:

I've told this story a few times here, but oh well some people haven't seen it.  I did not get to see the FSU game because that was the first evening of my Mother's viewing at the funeral home. Mom was a die hard Dukes fan.  After the viewing I went to my favorite local watering hole, looked up at the score flashed on ESPN and couldn't believe it. I raised my beer heavenward and toasted Mom as the tears began to fall.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/01/2017 11:31 am  #16

townsonkid wrote:

"Gosh Wally, lets try nothing new, and all they have to do is win because they have a new coach, and everything will be swell" - Beaver Cleaver circa 1955.

You may not want to believe it, but winning trumps everything. The other things are nice, but you can do all of that, and if the result is 11-19 seasons, Palumbo will be empty. Post a couple of 25 win seasons, and tickets will become hard to get.

8/01/2017 11:41 am  #17

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

You're right; no Charlie Ward; but Bobby Sura had a ridiculous game.  I remember thinking throughout the game how different the Dukes' fortunes would have been if Sura committed to the Dukes instead of the Seminoles.
Box score below.
http://nolefan.org/ref/b1992_12_15_sid.pdf

Sura and/or what was his name, Danny Folston, from Shaler was it?  He went to Cincy instead.  At the time, being at DU, and still really no internet or social media, rumor mill had him coming to DU, and boy that would have been huge.

the alien sam cassell was on that FSU team too!  :-)

Last edited by townsonkid (8/01/2017 12:00 pm)

8/01/2017 12:02 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

Brings back such memories! Walking around the dorm floor to see who's going to walk to the Civic Arena for a game. A couple two-three guys always willing. Couple planning on hunkering down with their inorganic chem books. Couple planning to count the threads in their new socks, or whatever it was that they found fascinating. Me? I went to every game, which is why I'm still here.

Similar to Tejas' story, I had been graduated 12 years earlier and lived far away from Pittsburgh on the cold December night in 1992. I was working on my advanced computing system (an AT&T 282 which the company was tossing out to make way for my new 386), a few years from my first dial-up Internet connection. Knowing DU was playing a ranked team that night, I tuned into WINS-AM news radio, which had scoreboard updates every 20 minutes. I was ready to give up at 59-41, partly because radio reception was sucky.

I got engrossed in what I was doing, and when the score came on 20 minutes later the reporter said Duquesne was winning.

Wait. What?

I couldn't wait for the next report. I pulled out the DU media quide and called the press hotline, which was manned that evening by a young lady who was assistant AD at the time. I apologized for calling a line dedicated to the news media, and explained that I was an alumnus who heard the score and just wanted to confirm that we were winning. She confirmed the score, then said, "There's only a minute left ... do you want me to do play-by-play until it's over?"

So she did. I heard not only her version of the play-by-play, but she game me a summary and game stats besides.

So, my young friend, final exams aside, where there's a will, there's a way.

8/01/2017 12:40 pm  #19

I dont care if Pittsburgh is not a city that supports losers you still make the effort and if you can attract one more
person to buy season tickets its 1 sold and 4,500 more seats that need sold.Even when the Dukes start winning
you still have to get people to turn off their televisions and drive down to Duquesne.Persistence is key and a
phone call might be all that is needed.Get the coaches,key ex players on the phone,and talk about the plans
and the excitement of what is going to happen.A good conversation with somebody friendly and personable
talking to Duquesne alumni.Get the coaches and players together in the dorms talking about their goals and the
importance of what each student means when they attend the games.You might get a lot of excuses for not goingand some students are never going to show up but the more nos you get leads you to more oppurtunities to say yes its sounds like fun.I will come down and cheer the team on.
 Duquesne needs to recruit goood players to make Palumbo start jumping but their has to be a effort to recruit
fans,students who live a block from Palumbo.The human touch,a good conversation,showing interest in our fans.
This is the stuff this athletic dept needs to get a handle on.Posting signs in the dorm will not work,people got to
sell this product and you need friendly conversations to do it,grassroots style.
That is the extra effort that needs made to get people interested,the human touch, players ,coaches showing interest in the students,creating a bond.Its uncomfortable doing these things but its a good experience like
selling yoursellf in a interview to get a job.

8/01/2017 1:19 pm  #20

The Civic Arena glory years were well before my time, but I did get to see some fun, competitive basketball by my senior year (90-91), which was John Carroll's second year. After 3 straight years of getting not just beat but beat up by Temple, WVU and Penn State, we beat all three at home that year in a Palumbo Center that was rocking, if not filled to capacity. Team still wasn't that good, but they played tough at home and had some dynamic young players, led by Derrick Alston. Future sure looked bright. Then just as we were starting to compete in the A10, Brian Colleary got the bright idea to move the program to the MCC or whatever it was called.

Fast-forward 16 years and I've dropped everything to fly back to Pittsburgh (from Boston at the time) to see the Dukes, under first-year head coach Ron Everhart, play Rhode Island. They would only win 10 games that year, but in a season that once seemed ruined by the infamous shootings, they're on an improbable 5-game winning streak, scoring over 90 points in all five games and are playing the most entertaining brand of basketball seen on the Bluff in decades. I round up some friends and tell one to brave the February chill and buy tickets from the Palumbo Center box office on his lunch hour during the week. He can't believe we would need to do that to see a Duquesne game, can't we just buy walk-up tickets? I convince him to get them ahead of time. A good thing too, because on game day, the line at the box office is stretching around the block. If there was an empty seat in the Palumbo Center that day, I couldn't see one. The Dukes lost and they never won another game that year, but that's beside the point. 

So yes, win and they will come. And once the Dukes start to win, they need to sustain it, to build a true winning culture fully supported by the Athletic Dept. and university administration. Here's hoping the pieces are finally in place. 

Last edited by DennisC91 (8/01/2017 3:19 pm)

8/01/2017 2:38 pm  #21

DennisC91 wrote:

Then just as we were starting to compete in the A10, Brian Colleary got the bright idea to move the program to the MCC or whatever it was called.

That just killed what Carroll was building. Kids in the areas where he had connections had no interest in playing in some far flung Midwestern league, and fans had little interest in watching most of those teams. He should have been fired after the Renee DeVarney scandal.

8/01/2017 2:51 pm  #22

8/01/2017 6:17 pm  #23

duq81 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Then just as we were starting to compete in the A10, Brian Colleary got the bright idea to move the program to the MCC or whatever it was called.

That just killed what Carroll was building. Kids in the areas where he had connections had no interest in playing in some far flung Midwestern league, and fans had little interest in watching most of those teams. He should have been fired after the Renee DeVarney scandal.

In a small bit of sympathy for the Devil, Ray Goss told me a few years later that,at the time,  it looked as if Temple, West Virginia and Rutgers were bailing on the conference,and there were other rumors of defection as well and Colleary found a decent landing spot.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/01/2017 6:25 pm  #24

The MCC fell apart when Xavier and Dayton bailed. Then DU got both of them in the A10. We, of course were a legacy. Our brother Fred from Harrisburg paved the way.

8/01/2017 8:39 pm  #25

ElDuque wrote:

The MCC fell apart when Xavier and Dayton bailed. Then DU got both of them in the A10. We, of course were a legacy. Our brother Fred from Harrisburg paved the way.

Duquesne should be forever grateful that the A10 accepted us back. I probably wouldn't be on this board if we were in the Horizon, or MAAC.

Keep in mind that Dayton bailed, not Xavier. Dayton, and LaSalle were the only teams in that league that we had a real history with. When Dayton jumped to the Great Midwest, they wanted to replace them with some team way out in the middle of the country. Duquesne wanted no part of this, and we went back home. When WVU, and Rutgers got full membership in the BE, Xavier, Dayton, and LaSalle were brought in to replace them. Duquesne played a role in this, as they were able to sell the league on Xavier, having seen them up close.

Board footera