Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/07/2017 4:53 pm  #1

2017-18 Duquesne Men's Basketball Prospectus

8/07/2017 5:28 pm  #2

Re: 2017-18 Duquesne Men's Basketball Prospectus

Great prospectus.  Still confused on scholarships.  The prospectus says 9 scholarship players this year plus 5 transfers.  That still adds to 14 in my math.  Would love to get some clarity on how this works.  Anxious for November 11!

8/07/2017 5:39 pm  #3

Thanks for posting, CLK.  I love KD's comments in the prospectus on each one of the players. I thought they were very honest assessments.  Agreed, kcc173, can't wait until November 11th.

8/07/2017 6:55 pm  #4

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Thanks for posting, CLK.  I love KD's comments in the prospectus on each one of the players. I thought they were very honest assessments.  Agreed, kcc173, can't wait until November 11th.

Yes I thought the same thing Phoenix on KD's comments..  

kcc173 I agree with you, would like to see some clarity on the scholarships.  There has been speculation that Castro returned as a non athletic scholarship grad student.  

8/07/2017 7:19 pm  #5

If you're a Duquesne alum, student, fan, follower, whatever, and you don't absolutely love what Keith Dambrot says, youuuuuuuuu might be a redneck. Or something.

​In a couple short months, he has cleansed the program.

8/07/2017 9:01 pm  #6

My senior class valedictorian was an incumbent so i might be a redneck.

8/08/2017 5:05 am  #7

I was valedictorian, homecoming king, and voted most likely to succeed. Not bad for someone who was homeschooled!

​Dambrot's player comments really jump out at you. He wants Smith to work at being the best defensive player in the country. He doesn't want Lewis to focus on personal accomplishments. He wants Verhoeven to play above a freshman level. He wants guys to add muscle, to show that they understand the game. 

Wow.

I'm looking forward to this season.

8/08/2017 8:47 am  #8

This is my favorite Keith Dambrot quote in this prospectus:

“There’s no reason Duquesne shouldn’t be a contender in the Atlantic 10. We’re in a great sports city and we have an accomplished early-basketball history. We just have to get out of our own way and stop making excuses and quit thinking that Duquesne can’t win. We’re working to change that mindset.”

8/08/2017 9:30 am  #9

A lot of life is mental. If you can conceive it and believe it, you can achieve it. KD seems to know that and teach it along with the x's and o's.

8/08/2017 10:46 pm  #10

WashPaRick wrote:

My senior class valedictorian was an incumbent so i might be a redneck.

If you walk your kid to school because you're in the same grade....you might be a redneck

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/09/2017 9:54 am  #11

In regards to the scholarships, in May we learned that there were 9 returning players/new recruits and 4 transfers on scholarship. Then a little over two months later, Frankie Hughes was announced as the latest addition to the program and was said to have signed a financial aid agreement, same wording as with the other four transfers. I suspect Frankie is receiving other forms of institutional financial aid, for this year anyway. This is allowed by the NCAA as long as the athlete is not considered "recruited." That means the coach cannot have in-person contact with the student-athlete off-campus, the student athlete cannot make an official visit to the school and the student athlete cannot sign a letter of intent or other athletic scholarship offer. Everything else is fair game. Given the prior relationship between Frankie Hughes and the coaching staff, there would have been no need to evaluate him in person or otherwise do much recruiting beyond phone calls. 

I know there's been some speculation that since Castro seemed to leave, then come back, that he's no longer on athletic scholarship, but the May roster announcement indicated that he was still on scholarship and I don't know that they could move a returning scholarship player to non-athletic financial aid without violating the "recruited" scholar athlete definition. You can read more about this HERE. 

Last edited by DennisC91 (8/09/2017 11:45 am)

8/09/2017 9:16 pm  #12

DennisC91 - excellent analysis and certainly satisfies me that Frankie is the mystery player.  Castro made some sense but I definitely think you got it.  Thanks.  Now, let's play!

8/12/2017 10:17 am  #13

Don't know how this team will end up this year, anything above a 500% record will be considered a success in some folks eyes.

Let's start to recover from the Ferry Failure Era , I tell you that guy sure knew how to get pay raises no matter how poorly he performed.

KD surely will bring the new approach to success, winning rather than whining,,

A diehard fan since 1961

8/14/2017 1:19 pm  #14

As I have previously stated here, I am really not so concerned about the record this year. I just want to get KD's program started on the court and see a well coached team for a change. I am certain that the record this year will exceed last year's numbers. Beyond that, I will not concern myself with. We will probably upset someone along the way and probable be upset as well. These things happen. Just sorry that this isn't KD's 2nd year. I really feel like 5 years of my ever shortening life were totally wasted on attending DU basketball.games. Wondering who the final 2018 recruit might be. Should it be a guard or yet another big?

8/14/2017 1:58 pm  #15

It sounds like, based on what DennisC wrote, that F. Hughes is on that special aid for one year only.  IF that is true, and I sure am wrong a lot (!), we have no more scholarships.  It would be hard to believe that the above scenario is anything but ONE year.  Just my take.

8/14/2017 3:18 pm  #16

That makes me wonder but isn't Koureissi a 2018 grad? He would be eligible in the 18-19 season, right. Not that he is coming here but KD is apparently  recruiting him.

8/14/2017 3:44 pm  #17

Yes that is true.  Still a bunch of offers for 18-19 still on verbal commits site.  Makes this recruiting stuff fun.  Nowadays cannot assume everyone stays

Board footera