Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2017 6:57 pm  #1

New assistant coach(?)

8/23/2017 8:19 pm  #2

Re: New assistant coach(?)

https://mobile.twitter.com/KR3TZ3R15?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Based on his Twitter looks like he's a grad ast. Probably a case of the local paper trying to make him sound as good as possible.

8/23/2017 8:22 pm  #3

One of our assistants was reported to be interviewing with Michigan. Wasn't sure if it resulted in a change for us.

8/23/2017 9:26 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

One of our assistants was reported to be interviewing with Michigan. Wasn't sure if it resulted in a change for us.

From what I could gather, Beilein hired 2 assistant coaches from Illinois State, filling out his vacancies. So no changes in the Dukes staff. And Jake Kretzer is listed as a Graduate Assistant on the Dukes roster, as Duques102 suspected.

8/24/2017 4:31 am  #5

OK. Simply a case of more "good journalism." One thing I gleaned from this article, though, was the role he played in DU landing Dylan Swingle.

Might be a good idea if we all start babysitting long babies.   

8/24/2017 8:04 am  #6

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/position/center/class/2018/view/position

Just as an aside, in the ESPN recruiting ratings for centers, the Dukes have #26 in Gavin and #45 in Dylan. Take that for what it is worth. Still, it is a nice mention for our recruiting!

8/24/2017 10:27 am  #7

HookShot wrote:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/position/center/class/2018/view/position

Just as an aside, in the ESPN recruiting ratings for centers, the Dukes have #26 in Gavin and #45 in Dylan. Take that for what it is worth. Still, it is a nice mention for our recruiting!

Whoah! That really is something! ESPN has one of the most robust, well funded, and deepest scouting networks for high school football and basketball recruiting. There rankings reflect some of the most thorough evaluations of players out there.

Generally players ranked #50 and above for their position end up at power five schools.

To be bringing in a 4 star and three star center next year along with all the transfers, I would bet we have by far and away the best incoming class for 2018 in the A10, and I'm saying that with no knowledge of who other schools have. This is a power 5 recruiting class, before the 2017 season even starts.

Bizaeu must really be a stud. Usually a guy ranked in the twenties positionally will end up at a top 30 program, definitely one that consistently competes in the NCAA tourney. These are two big gets to go along with the guys already here sitting on the bench this year.

8/24/2017 12:43 pm  #8

Bizeau probably was a bit under-recruited because he is rail thin - just recently reaching 200 lbs. Swingle was probably looked at as being too big at 305lbs. But, if you can play, you can play. In the April recruiting period in 2018, if both were available, they would go power five as backup plans. KD has an eye for talent and a reputation for developing players. Both seemed to know that Duquesne is the right place for them with the right coach.

8/24/2017 1:45 pm  #9

Gonzaga went pretty far with a kid who looked like Swingle and a kid who looked like Bizeau. Both kids have to gain experience and show they can perform at a high level to be compared to the Zags duo. But I'm hoping some day that some day some talking noggin can make the comparison.

8/24/2017 5:20 pm  #10

HookShot wrote:

Bizeau probably was a bit under-recruited because he is rail thin - just recently reaching 200 lbs. Swingle was probably looked at as being too big at 305lbs. But, if you can play, you can play. In the April recruiting period in 2018, if both were available, they would go power five as backup plans. KD has an eye for talent and a reputation for developing players. Both seemed to know that Duquesne is the right place for them with the right coach.

Swingle committed in May and was a steal for DU.  Had he waited until after the AAU summer he would have had a ton of power 5 offers.  had a solid offer by WVU and was thought to be a lock for them.

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2016/11/13/2018-basketball-prospect-dylan-swingle-impressed-pitt/

8/26/2017 3:16 pm  #11

My thoughts are that this recruiting fits the KD style, coming from a mid level successful Akron. With success in the higher level A-10 the staff will be able to go after and sign higher rated prospects in future years.

The ability to not only recruit well but coach up these players will be the real result of KD and his system,
I truly think this will happen.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera