Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2017 10:39 am  #1

8/29/2017 3:35 pm  #2

Re: Duquesne MBB to make Harvey donation

Sending prayers to Mike James and family, he sold his home in Houston but bought another in the area.

All these folks in that area of Texas are in for a long recovery period of time. After our hurricanes in SW Fl in 2004-2005 it took years for the communities to look normal again.

A diehard fan since 1961

8/29/2017 3:45 pm  #3

My friends in Cleveland are always making Appalachia jokes about Pittsburgh, but give me these hills any day, as opposed to being in a place where big storms strike on a regular basis.

8/30/2017 10:30 am  #4

Our family is fine. Wife and I live in a pretty high section of Fort Bend County, Never lost power or water. Two friends of ours who stayed with us had damage at their places.  Just feeling sick about everything down here. 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/30/2017 10:44 am  #5

Pres. Gormley also announced via email to alumni that the University is doing a crowdfunding effort to raise money.  The text of  his letter and link to the donation site are here (I will also post this seperately):

Dear Members of the Alumni Community,As Hurricane Harvey continues to unleash devastation upon the Houston area and the Gulf Coast, we at Duquesne have watched helplessly from a distance. Powerful images of the storm reveal the destruction and human suffering: wheelchair-bound senior citizens in waist-high water waiting to be rescued, homes wrecked, streets turned into rivers and residents crying in despair.Equally powerful, however, is the strength of the human spirit and the overwhelming response to unite and do whatever it takes to help. Heroes have emerged on the scene across the hardest-hit areas of Texas. These include 29-year-old Zachary Dearing, who took charge of a shelter when there was no one else to lead. Or Abe Minor, a postal worker who used his nephew’s boat to rescue 20 people, pets included. Or SWAT Officer Daryl Hudeck, who carried a mother and her baby in waist-high floodwaters. The “Cajun Navy,” a volunteer group from Louisiana formed after Hurricane Katrina, have arrived in Houston to assist. And thousands of emergency responders all along the coast are doing their part.Although we are 1,300 miles away, Duquesne University of the Holy Spirit has important connections to the Houston area—some students call that the region home and more than 250 alumni live in the Houston area alone—with many more residing along the coast. We also have a strong Spiritan connection. St. Benedict the Abbot parish is led by Spiritan pastor Rev. Clement Uchendu, and Houston is home to the North American Province’s Spiritan Office for Mission Advancement. We pray for their safety, as well as for the millions of people whose lives have been impacted forever.My own Harvard Law School classmate, Sylvester Turner, currently serves as Mayor of Houston and has literally been in the eye of the storm. Along with many others, I am praying for his strength and his wisdom during this period of crisis.At times of tragic disaster like this, we all ask ourselves “What can I do?” to help. There are numerous assistance efforts underway across the country including a coach’s appeal for clothing and shoe donations, to which our men’s and women’s basketball teams have responded. Today, the leadership of the Duquesne Faculty Senate and our Student Government Association, along with Campus Ministry, have joined together in a remarkable partnership to sponsor a crowdfunding initiative that will directly benefit hurricane victims in Texas. At this time of urgent need, I encourage all members of the Duquesne community to consider participating in this effort and pledging your support. You can visit duq.edu/harvey to make a gift right now.One of the many reasons I’m so proud to be a member of the Duquesne family is that, since the University’s founding, our students, faculty and staff have remained tirelessly committed to helping those in need. As Hurricane Harvey continues to put lives and families at risk, we can and must step up to make a difference without delay. By rising up and doing what we can—even in a small way—we can help ease the unimaginable burdens that this tragic event has unleashed.Thank you in advance for supporting this special effort; it shows Duquesne at its very best. My personal thanks to the Faculty Senate, the Student Government Association and the Campus Ministry. They have led the way by their shining example.Sincerely,
Ken Gormley
President

Last edited by Mulder (8/30/2017 10:45 am)

Board footera