Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2017 4:47 pm  #1

Rollie Massimino passed away

Back in the early days of the Eastern Eight, he made DU-Nova a heated rivalry.

8/30/2017 6:56 pm  #2

Re: Rollie Massimino passed away

ElDuque wrote:

Indeed he did. Nova's victory over G'Town was one of the most incredible games I have ever seen. By the time he took on Cleveland State, he was on a Danny Nee projector. Finished with 10 years in the NAIA. Too bad he couldn't retire at Nova. ED, do you know why he left for UNLV or was he asked to leave?

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

8/30/2017 7:14 pm  #3

ElDuque wrote:

There was some dislike there, but nothing like back when the Nelsons were on campus.

8/30/2017 8:06 pm  #4

KenOTR73 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Indeed he did. Nova's victory over G'Town was one of the most incredible games I have ever seen. By the time he took on Cleveland State, he was on a Danny Nee projector. Finished with 10 years in the NAIA. Too bad he couldn't retire at Nova. ED, do you know why he left for UNLV or was he asked to leave?

I don't Kurt. I know someone who's related to Rollie, I will try to ask next time I see him.

8/30/2017 9:09 pm  #5

KenOTR73 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

KenOTR73, here's a good newspaper article outlining the supposed reasons for Rollie jumping to UNLV.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-04-02/sports/1992093214_1_rollie-massimino-jay-wright-villanova

8/31/2017 10:46 am  #6

Rollie generally got the better of Duquesne, but the Dukes had the last laugh, not only pulling off the upset in the inaugural Eastern 8/ECBL championship game in 1977 at The Spectrum in Philly, but winning the final meeting between the two in December 1979 before Nova jumped to the Big East. Oddly enough Villanova's basketball site did a "Throw Back Thursday" piece on this game last year:  https://www.vuhoops.com/2016/12/15/13954420/villanova-basketball-throw-back-thursday-vuhoopstbt-tbt-december-15th

9/01/2017 7:34 am  #7

I recall when Rollie showed interest in the Pitt head coaching position, Nova quickly upped his pay to $50,000 and he said no thanks to the Panthers. Some said he just used Pitt to get a pay raise, and yes those Duquesne -Villanova games in the 1960's and 1970's were battles and great basketball.

A diehard fan since 1961

9/08/2017 11:58 am  #8

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

KenOTR73, here's a good newspaper article outlining the supposed reasons for Rollie jumping to UNLV.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-04-02/sports/1992093214_1_rollie-massimino-jay-wright-villanova

Thanks Phoenix. This paints a very different picture.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera