Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2017 4:13 pm  #1

Full schedule's out

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/090617aae.html

"We want to be a top 20 team."

That's what I'm talkin' about!

9/06/2017 4:30 pm  #2

Re: Full schedule's out

Only 1 PPG game?  Wow didnt see that coming

9/06/2017 5:34 pm  #3

Also,
First 16 games
12 at AJP(includes 2 league games Dayton and GWU)
3 at neutral site(2 at Vegas and 1 at PPG)
1st road game at Fordham
Game 17 on the road at VCU
Not sure if the schedule is coincidence or Harper but it appears to give the team
a chance for a winning record.

9/06/2017 6:31 pm  #4

lilpav30 wrote:

Only 1 PPG game? Wow didnt see that coming

perhaps next year when the team should be better against better competition.

give them a year to try to fill out AJP as best as they can.

they didn't get WVU, penn state, VCU, or anyone else big at home and Dayton is over Christmas break.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

9/06/2017 9:25 pm  #5

ElDuque wrote:

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/090617aae.html

"We want to be a top 20 team."

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Aim high! I love it!

9/07/2017 5:32 am  #6

Been wanting to hear this for five years. Got so tired of semantics that never meant anything but "I'm here to collect a big pay check."

You have to have a goal, or you have no vision for yourself. You have to have objectives to reach that goal that you can measure. And you have to have a plan to achieve the objectives.

He's done a great job of laying all of this out in a very tangible way. I've bought in. I believe. Go Dukes.

9/07/2017 6:57 am  #7

Until DU fills the AJP for one game, just one, there is no reason to play a game at PPG.  That feels awful in there being 90% empty.  It looks awful on tv.  Stay home, and make the AJP a true home court advantage.  Then, maybe in 2-5 years, if the team is a legit A10 contender, and Western PA folk want to see them play Dayton, or VCU, then, move a game there.

9/07/2017 9:53 am  #8

Last year's Dayton home game was played at PPG the second Saturday in January. It drew just over 3100 people. So no need to play that game anywhere but Palumbo this year. 

9/07/2017 11:18 am  #9

Dennis, with the way Dayton fans travel with the team don't be surprised if the smallish Palumbo Center has a great deal of Flyers Fans filling the seats.

A diehard fan since 1961

9/07/2017 12:23 pm  #10

Of the 9 league home games 6 are on Saturday and 3 on Wednesday.  I am VERY pleased.

9/07/2017 12:28 pm  #11

Times of games not scheduled for TV have yet to be announced. 

RMU has PPG this year awaiting the building of their new arena. I'm not sure if that had any effect on us having any home games there. There's no conflict with the 12/30 game vs Dayton with the Pens out of town and no event scheduled that day. That is the only game outside of pitt that I could see on our schedule being played at PPG this year.

As an aside, RMU has three conference home games that are the same day as Pens home games, including two of them on weekdays. They have the site as TBA, so I'm curious where those games end up being played.

Last edited by Brian (9/07/2017 12:30 pm)

9/07/2017 2:11 pm  #12

9/07/2017 3:02 pm  #13

Brian wrote:

RMU has PPG this year awaiting the building of their new arena. I'm not sure if that had any effect on us having any home games there. There's no conflict with the 12/30 game vs Dayton with the Pens out of town and no event scheduled that day. That is the only game outside of pitt that I could see on our schedule being played at PPG this year.

As an aside, RMU has three conference home games that are the same day as Pens home games, including two of them on weekdays. They have the site as TBA, so I'm curious where those games end up being played.

Palumbo maybe? I'd have no problem with it, after all, the Dukes played their games at Pitt for several years after the Duquesne Gardens was razed.

9/07/2017 3:55 pm  #14

Phildog wrote:

Dennis, with the way Dayton fans travel with the team don't be surprised if the smallish Palumbo Center has a great deal of Flyers Fans filling the seats.

I don't doubt that, Phil, but unless they're going to bring 4K+ fans, and I'm pretty sure they're not based on last year's numbers and the date of this game, the game should be played at Palumbo. Duquesne shouldn't have to rent PPG just to give Dayton less of a homecourt advantage. That would be more embarrassing than having more Dayton than Duquesne fans at Palumbo, IMHO. There's better things the program can spend money on. 

9/07/2017 5:39 pm  #15

duq81 wrote:

Brian wrote:

Palumbo maybe? I'd have no problem with it, after all, the Dukes played their games at Pitt for several years after the Duquesne Gardens was razed.

I'd be happy to see RMU renting Palumbo for some of their games.  That way their program can be helping to pay for ours.

9/08/2017 8:33 am  #16

It might make sense to save the rental dollars for PPG until we can get 8 -10 thousand people in there. That won't happen overnight no matter what happens in the next year or two IMHO. Home court advantage at AJP is worth having for now.

9/08/2017 8:56 am  #17

When the Dukes play Dayton, would the crowd fill the AJP?  I mean, it looked real empty at PPG.  Other than Pitt or a top 10 team, when was the AJP sold out?  Sorry, but there is no reason to play a game other than Pitt at PPG.  Waste of money, and a disadvantage to the Dukes IMO.  Save the money.

9/08/2017 10:28 am  #18

There is no good reason for Dukes to play any home games away from Palumbo .If we could ever  start
winning and fill the place up ,Palumbo  would be one of the toughest places to play in the A10.Only game
to be played off campus is the Pitt game  at PPG.Because the fan interest warrants it.This program needs
wins more than it needs to play in a fancy,sterile environment that is esssentally a neutral court.

9/08/2017 11:02 am  #19

Not sure if it helps in recruiting but it seems all recruits get a tour of PPG.

9/08/2017 11:50 am  #20

I'm in agreement. Other than Pitt, Dayton is the biggest draw and if they only pulled 3K fans for the game, play it at Palumbo.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

9/08/2017 2:20 pm  #21

Just a note, the Dayton home game in the 2015-16 season was also played over Christmas break--January 2, 2016--and drew 3,323 to Palumbo. A look at attendance figures of non-Pitt home games at PPG/Consol:

1/14/17: Dayton, 3,132
11/20/15: Penn State, 3,520
2/21/15: Dayton, 5,227
1/17/15: VCU, 4,223
2/22/14: Dayton, 6,271
12/11/13: Penn State, 5,246
2/9/13: Xavier, 6,511
1/19/13: VCU, 6,278
​11/11/12: WVU, 6,244
12/10/11: Penn State, 7,046
2/13/11: Xavier, 10,509
1/30/11: Dayton, 8,802
12/12/10: West Virginia, 8,059

These numbers tell me that when the Dukes are good, they can draw decently at the arena. When they're not good, we can't expect the other team will bring enough fans to make it worthwhile to play them there.

9/08/2017 3:56 pm  #22

DennisC91 wrote:

Just a note, the Dayton home game in the 2015-16 season was also played over Christmas break--January 2, 2016--and drew 3,323 to Palumbo. A look at attendance figures of non-Pitt home games at PPG/Consol:

These numbers tell me that when the Dukes are good, they can draw decently at the arena. When they're not good, we can't expect the other team will bring enough fans to make it worthwhile to play them there.

Captain Obvious here: higher average attendance under RE compared to the Ferry years.

9/08/2017 4:31 pm  #23

ElDuque wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Captain Obvious here: higher average attendance under RE compared to the Ferry years.

Great post Dennis. Truly shows what a competitive product can bring in terms of fan fare. I went to DU from 2010-2014 so I attended probably every game you listed.

I remember playing the West Virginia's and Xavier teams that were usually ranked, but the games were definitely competitive back then.

And the stands were majority DU fans as well. The last few years at PPG has not only seen poor attendance, but the small crowds that did show up were predominantly the other teams fans. It almost made playing at PPG a disadvantage when Ferry was here.

I know we will never get an answer but I really wonder at what point Harper realized and decided Ferry was going to be let go. There are just so many points in the last two years where I could see it, but this topic is making me remember the last game he coached at PPG. There had to be literally 500 people in the crowd to watch the hosts bow out in the first round to a team as bad as them. That will be rock bottom looking back, and the beginning of the turnaround.

9/08/2017 9:03 pm  #24

KenOTR73 wrote:

I'm in agreement. Other than Pitt, Dayton is the biggest draw and if they only pulled 3K fans for the game, play it at Palumbo.

Until we get good, Dayton will be a road game, no matter where we play. If we start winning at a high level, of course you'll want to play some games at PPG. If we become a Top 25 type program, we'll be able to get some fairly strong teams on the OOC schedule. Few of them will be willing to come to Palumbo. Obviously, you don't play Fordham at PPG (unless they suddenly transform into a big winner of course), but if Dayton is going to draw 12,000 fans, you play at PPG. If they take over the building, then that's more a reflection on us. The GOAL should be to do what Villanova does, and  become good enough to play a half dozen big games at PPG every year, while playing cupcakes, and also rans at Palumbo. Those at PPG would be tv games, that would scream "BIG TIME PROGRAM" to recruits, something that just can't happen at Palumbo. Some of you guys have been beaten down so badly, that you're afraid to think big. I'm glad that Keith Dambrot isn't among you. We're getting ready to enter our best stretch of ball in 50 years. Fraidy cats hang on, it's going to be an exhilarating ride!!!

9/09/2017 4:10 pm  #25

DennisC91 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

I don't doubt that, Phil, but unless they're going to bring 4K+ fans, and I'm pretty sure they're not based on last year's numbers and the date of this game, the game should be played at Palumbo. Duquesne shouldn't have to rent PPG just to give Dayton less of a homecourt advantage. That would be more embarrassing than having more Dayton than Duquesne fans at Palumbo, IMHO. There's better things the program can spend money on. 

I think every game at Palumbo gives Duquesne a better chance to win, I have been in large crowds there over its history and it is loud, hot and great place to watch the Dukes.

I might once again be a season ticket holder after this hurricane gets done with me, then I could help fill up AJ's Place!

Send some prayers down this way......please...

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera