Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2017 8:52 am  #1

KD lands another big fella from Ohio...

Austin Rotroff.  Coming in at 6'9'' 225.  Akron, W Michigan, Canisius, Toledo, Miami OH, Richmond, Bucknell had interest in him as well.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/austin-rotroff/1DOrV4xiEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/default.htm

Last edited by townsonkid (9/19/2017 8:52 am)

9/19/2017 10:13 am  #2

Re: KD lands another big fella from Ohio...

Where does he say he is going to Duquesne...I am sure it is right in front of me but I couldn't find it.

9/19/2017 10:20 am  #3

FAM wrote:

Where does he say he is going to Duquesne...I am sure it is right in front of me but I couldn't find it.

https://twitter.com/austinrotroff

9/19/2017 11:42 am  #4

There's a message about Master Rotroff in the recruiting thread.

9/19/2017 3:00 pm  #5

Looks like a project compared to Swingle. You can't teach 6'9" though, so no problem taking a shot with a big kid.

9/19/2017 5:29 pm  #6

duq81 wrote:

Looks like a project compared to Swingle. You can't teach 6'9" though, so no problem taking a shot with a big kid.

Both 247Sports and Scout rank Rotroff as a three-star recruit.  

9/19/2017 6:16 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I look at legit three stars as guys who will probably make immediate impact. Two star guys are pretty much projects. 247 and scout seem to be a little more generous with the three star designations than some of the bigger players (rivals and espn). He's probably somewhere in between. A polished player with some limitations, but will probably see time as a freshman. Most of those schools recruiting him are solid programs, even if it's at a lower level.

9/19/2017 6:44 pm  #8

Bleacher Report had an article on NBA stars of today as to how they ranked coming out of high school.  A recent visitor to Palumbo Center, Jimmy Butler,  was ranked a 2 star recruit.  It's all a guessing game except for a few exceptions.  I believe Steph Curry was a 3 star recruit.

9/19/2017 8:26 pm  #9

Duques102 wrote:

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I look at legit three stars as guys who will probably make immediate impact. Two star guys are pretty much projects. 247 and scout seem to be a little more generous with the three star designations than some of the bigger players (rivals and espn). He's probably somewhere in between. A polished player with some limitations, but will probably see time as a freshman. Most of those schools recruiting him are solid programs, even if it's at a lower level.

FYI, ESPN also has him as a 3 star.  Richmond was recruiting him hard, and I'll take that recruiting win regardless of stars as the Richmond bigs have a history of kicking our ass.  BTW ESPN had Swingle as a 3 star and Bizeau as a 4 star. for what it is worth.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/230273/austin-rotroff

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/216666/dylan-swingle

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/224491/gavin-bizeau

Austin talks about his decision in link below

https://twitter.com/JustinFeldkamp/status/910273658807095296

Last edited by CLK (9/19/2017 8:50 pm)

9/19/2017 8:52 pm  #10

CLK wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

CLK wrote:

FYI, ESPN also has him as a 3 star.  Richmond was recruiting him hard, and I'll take that recruiting win regardless of stars as the Richmond bigs have a history of kicking our ass.  BTW ESPN had Swingle as a 3 star and Bizeau as a 4 star. for what it is worth.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/230273/austin-rotroff

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/216666/dylan-swingle

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/224491/gavin-bizeau

Austin talks about his decision in link below

https://twitter.com/JustinFeldkamp/status/910273658807095296

I'm always glad to get some bigs, but Swingle was getting attention from an entirely different level of school, which is why getting him is such a big deal. Of course 10 years from now Austin could be in the NBA, while Dylan is sitting in some cubicle. You just never know, but as long as I don't see AE, and NEC teams on a recruit's list of offers, I'm happy. Most bigs below the elite level are projects. There just aren't that many 6'9" and taller people walking around, so if you can play even a little bit, some school will take a chance on you.

9/19/2017 8:56 pm  #11

Thanks for the research, CLK. A well spoken young man in the interview; seemed very mature.

9/20/2017 5:23 am  #12

What are they feeding these kids in Ohio, anyway? Has become the land of the bigs!

​What an opportune time to have a coach with connections there.

9/20/2017 6:37 am  #13

Austin did play at a very high level of AAU ball this past summer.  His team mates on O.B.C included four star, top 100 Dayton signee Dwayne Cohill and current Mars Fightin' Planet and Future Notre Dame Fightin' Irish guard Robby Carmody.  Not sure what kind of numbers he put up though.

9/20/2017 7:16 am  #14

We used to get 2 stars and didn't get much and the former coach didn't do a good job of developing players at all.  Add to that his lack of teaching ability before and during games and we were stuck with high school level talent.  The belief...at least my belief is that Coach Dambrot's success is largely based on his teaching since he had years and years of success.  So, bringing in a 3 star...higher than we usually got, combined with his teaching (and his staff of course) should prove very positive!

9/20/2017 8:36 am  #15

duq81 wrote:

I thought the opposite.  He can move, and can accelerate to the basket quickly and with force.  There wasnt much to see from a shooting POV(FTs or jumpers), but I saw him dish it a few times.  He seems more athletic than the other big fellas.  DU can have a tripod in a couple years of 6'10'' or above guys dominating the A10.

9/20/2017 8:38 am  #16

We have discussed this soooooo many times. Below the top 50 players who could possibly see enough of these kids to decide. Granted the major AAU events and camps have made it slightly better but as always no one can measure a kids drive. A side note on Carmody, Bray has his hands full. This kids actions and domineer up to this point make Grayson Allen look like a CHIORBOY!!!  You can easily see some of the elbows, punches and trips on several YouTube videos.

9/20/2017 8:43 am  #17

Towson you hit on a key point. Will the changes coach is making to a different type of A-10 team (bigger,stronger) resonate and cause other teams in the league to take notice.

9/20/2017 9:26 am  #18

Carmody at ND, I doubt Brey and the ND fan base there will tolerate those Allen-type actions he got away with(sort of) at Duke.  He will ride the pine.  I dont think he's all that anyway, but we shall see.  I said a while ago and will say again, he will be on the Bluff some day.  :-)

As for the A10 taking notice, again, we shall see.  Right now they are just tall guys on a future roster.  If the transfers and incoming guys pan out, if half of them pan out, DU will be a BIG team that the A10 will have to adjust to.  

Unless I missed a recruit or transfer, I got DU with 14 scholarship players for 2018-19(assuming everyone shows up, no transfers or early NBA declarations), plus Taylor.  I forget, what the limit, 15 or 13?  

9/20/2017 9:41 am  #19

Limit's 13.

9/20/2017 9:45 am  #20

I guess there's nothing wrong with being one over for next year. I can't remember the last time every player who could return the following season actually did.

9/20/2017 10:01 am  #21

A Bonnie fan on A10 board at Basketballforum has become somewhat obsessed with our scholarship situation since the Hughes announcement....seems to be a real thorn in his side.

9/20/2017 10:58 am  #22

LSUDuq wrote:

A Bonnie fan on A10 board at Basketballforum has become somewhat obsessed with our scholarship situation since the Hughes announcement....seems to be a real thorn in his side.

At least our guys aren't studying shop class.

WHOA, THAT WAS NOT CALLED FOR!

Darn that autocorrect.

9/20/2017 12:05 pm  #23

LSUDuq wrote:

To be fair, I'm kind of obsessed with it too. I deal with numbers a lot in the practice of corporate law, so I get kind of fidgety when numbers don't add up and there's no explanation. Unless someone comes from a rich family and is paying their own way (this happened at Louisville a few years ago when their best player's dad was a surgeon), I am unable to explain what's going on.

9/20/2017 1:25 pm  #24

If memory serves me, we are one over the limit right now, correct?

9/20/2017 1:38 pm  #25

If an opposing coach, say Schmidt of SBU, has concerns about the number of scholarships, then 
I could see an issue.
Otherwise, KD and his staff plus Harper and his staff, have the scholarship number under control.
One way or the other, DU will be at the proper level by October 2018.

Board footera