Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2013 9:44 am  #1

Tournament selection show

Well, I guess it comes down to this, when (if) you are watching tonight. 

If you see any of the following names come in at an 11 seed, before Duquesne is mentioned

San Diego State
Charlotte
Toledo

It would be safe to assume we are out.  

3/18/2013 10:18 am  #2

Re: Tournament selection show

I disagree it's safe to assume that we're out if any one of SDSU, Charlotte, or Toledo is in.  Creighton or WVU could certainly miss the dance as well, leaving a spot open for DU (we beat WVU, quite a few Creighton's losses weren't close and if it comes to style points Creighton loses).

Also note that the matchups the committee must avoid in the women's bracket are a headache.  It wouldn't surprise me if one or both of the last two teams in the field wind up as 10s rather than 11s, particularly if it's a BE or B12 school.

Brackets start being released at 7:00 PM.

3/18/2013 10:21 am  #3

Okay, but the ESPN people rarely get two teams wrong.   They went picked all 68 teams on the men's side.   

On second thought, it really is not all that great of an accomplishment, I mean you are really only talking about trying to guess at the last four teams in.  After auto qualifiers and teams that you know will get an at large bid.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/18/2013 10:24 am)

3/18/2013 3:22 pm  #4

Duquesne fans being nervous before brackets are announced. When was the last time this happened, 1972?

3/18/2013 6:20 pm  #5

Halfway through. Still nervous, but no Charlotte Creighton or Toledo either.  

3/18/2013 6:28 pm  #6

Kansas in. Not even on last four out list.   Not looking good after that. 

3/18/2013 6:39 pm  #7

Shut out. Wtf.....

3/18/2013 6:40 pm  #8

It was fun while it lasted I guess.  It would have been better not to be listed as in.  

Oh well, what's another 37 years or so to wait.  

3/18/2013 6:44 pm  #9

Drat!

3/18/2013 6:54 pm  #10

Only two teams from the A-10 made it --  Makes me wonder even if the Lady Dukes beat St Joes one of the two times (or knocked off Dayton as opposed to dropping the one point decision) Would they still be out in the cold????

3/18/2013 6:55 pm  #11

At this moment, I honestly don't believe DU is capable of making the NCAA tournament in any sport. Ever.   

I really hate being a fan of this school.  

3/18/2013 6:56 pm  #12

Don't feel too bad. At least, the fans of the women's team got to experience the excitement and expectation of possibly being selected to the Big Dance. The fans of the men's program will never have that feeling.

3/18/2013 7:50 pm  #13

The new A10 will be a one bid league. With tournaments at a campus site which we will have to win to get a bid.  

I'm done complaining about all things DU for a while.  I'm just going to shut off the computer and ESPN for a while. 

Last edited by duqkurt (3/18/2013 7:50 pm)

3/18/2013 8:19 pm  #14

The A-10 women's league will NOT be a 1-bid league.  It should be a 2-bid league going forward.  With the resurrection of Duquesne, combined with St. Joe's continual strength and Coach Gaitley at Fordham we'll be ok.  Richmond, St. Bona, and VCU will be randomly up and down enough to keep the A-10 women's side strong enough for a typical 2-bid league.

The men's side could be a 1-bid league some years, but still a 2-bid league on average going forward IMO.

3/18/2013 8:32 pm  #15

Can we "take our floor and go home?""  Maybe the Committee was unimpressed because Duquesne wasn't blowing teams out --  Maybe next year with some more depth -  it won't be the case --  Still 23-6 with 2 losses to tourney teams by 1 point (St Joes & Dayton)  a narrow loss to another NCAA Team (UNC on their floor) And a fairly competive game against Delaware (another higher seeded NCAA team) lookse like the ONLY real bump in the road may have been Miami Ohio --  Hopefully the Ladies get some HOMEgames in the WNIT -  put together a few solid wins!!!!!

3/18/2013 8:53 pm  #16

rogabee wrote:

The A-10 women's league will NOT be a 1-bid league.  It should be a 2-bid league going forward.  With the resurrection of Duquesne, combined with St. Joe's continual strength and Coach Gaitley at Fordham we'll be ok.  Richmond, St. Bona, and VCU will be randomly up and down enough to keep the A-10 women's side strong enough for a typical 2-bid league.

The men's side could be a 1-bid league some years, but still a 2-bid league on average going forward IMO.

Don't know how you can say that with such certainty.  They obviously had no respect for Dayton making them a 7 seed or St. Joes at what a 10 seed?   Sorry, if that is the best we can get this year, I don't agree with your assessment of the future.

Our 36 RPI meant nothing to them.  So why will it mean more in the future in a watered down A10?

Conventional wisdom said had we beaten St. Joes in either of the two games or Dayton we would have been in.  That is what I thought also.

I don't think that is true now.  I don't think we make the it unless we had beaten both of them in regular season or went through both of them to the A10 finals.  

In the future, I am not even considering DU for an at large bid.  That is never going to happen.  Only thing they can do is win the tournament and as long as it is held on someone else's campus site, that will be an extremely tall order. 

Last edited by duqkurt (3/18/2013 9:22 pm)

3/18/2013 10:29 pm  #17

Duqkurt, here's my logic:

This year, we finished with 3 teams in the top 50 RPI that will be back next year.  Even without Dayton, we still have two in the top 50, and this was a much down year in the A-10.

Last year, St. Bona was #16 in the RPI.  Dayton and Richmond also in the top 50 RPI for quality win purposes, and St. Joe's at #54.  VCU and Duquesne were top 100.

The big thing, like I said, is Fordham's commitment going forward.  In hiring Gaitley, Fordham will be at least a top 100 team, perhaps a top 50 team going forward.  They won't be the RPI drain on the conference anymore.  If only their men could follow suit...

Also, don't discount GW's program:  they've danced 3 of the last 8 years also and will be back (just signed three 3-star recruits:  one over Georgia, another over Ga Tech, Wake, and Delaware, and the third perhaps the best athlete from Orlando in Hannah Schaible, who also was the flag football QB of the year and best of the bunch).  We'll have enough up spells to where we'll be a 2-bid league.  It will be too hard for everybody to stay down all at once between Duq, St. Joe's, Fordham, Richmond, VCU, and GW.

I've made comments all year about the weakness of the A-10 in women's hoops this year.  I fully expect that to even itself out in the longrun...

Last edited by rogabee (3/18/2013 10:31 pm)

3/19/2013 6:59 am  #18

Well, Rogabee I respectfully disagree.   They discounted our RPI this year and I don't see that getting better in future years.   And SMS seems to agree with me based on her quote in today's Trib...

“We understand that our margin for error is very slim,” McConnell-Serio said. “It almost comes down to we have to win the (conference) tournament to get in. It's not even like you can just have a great year and get in, which is unfortunate. The conference we're in, that's the way we're looked upon.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/ncaa/3680805-74/tournament-seed-ncaa#ixzz2NzCBKShn
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

3/19/2013 8:45 am  #19

Just looking at numbers...
we were 23-7 rpi around 36

WVU was 17-13, rpi around 55

and we beat them at their place!!!

Looks like in the Big 12 if you dont have a losing record, you get in, cause they have a 6'8" he/she playing in their womens conference.

I see the Ladies play Akron at home in first WNIT game.  Then looks like Bowling Green.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/19/2013 8:48 am)

Board footera