Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2017 8:29 pm  #1

Win Number 1

After what happened with the Ladies and the Football Team - DAMN RELIEVED to get the win tonight - At one point DU was like 1-22 from three point range - Williams drains a 3 AND SOME OF THE LIGHTS GO OUT!!!! Is THAT a Definition of LIGHTS OUT SHOOTING.  Rene looked like Earl "The Pearl" Monroe with some of his twisting drives - Smith had a terrific second half - DRIVING TO THE BASKET -  Much better results than when he's trying mid-range long jumpers - Williams had a double-double - Bricked a lot of free throws early - was GOLDEN down the stretch when the team needed them. Mike Lewis (despite the points total had one of his worst games as a Duke - Expect him to bounce back on Tuesday!!

11/11/2017 8:42 pm  #2

Re: Win Number 1

Let's make it 2 in a row on Tuesday. V.M.I. lost by 35 to N.C.St. in their first game.They started 4 sophs. and a freshman. Have some height in starting line up with a 6'8 F and 6'10 C. Only had 1 jr. and 1 sr. that played over 10 minutes in NCSt. game.

11/12/2017 9:36 am  #3

(DUQ 81 - Please check your personal email)
I enjoyed the game.  There is definitely an improvement in their defense and rebounding.  This is a no-brain statement, but we saw that they had a difficult time shooting last night  at times and their foul shooting was poor last night.  I have no clue about plays they ran but it appeared that the young men knew where they were going, where they had to be (based on concise cuts, lack of such comments by the coach, and filling up the lanes on numerous options) and what to do whether they had the ball in their hands or not.  Not sure of the attendance but it looked like more folks than usual.  

Last edited by FAM (11/12/2017 9:38 am)

11/12/2017 9:50 am  #4

This is not your father's St. Francis. This is the St. Francis from Brooklyn that won 6 games last year. However, the first thing that became apparent was defense. When coach said defense was a priority, he wasn't kidding. Sure, St. Francis had some open looks on 3's but not a TON of open looks on 3's. In the second half when the shots finally started to fall the defense really started clicking Until I get the spelling correct I'm just going to call them Ver and Krak. Krak played 7 minutes so, in essence, we had a 7 man rotation. Ver had maybe 3 blocks. He will be a major contributor. But it was William's play in the second half that made me smile. A double-double in his first college game. Put it down now. This kid is going to be a star. Can't write more. Mass awaits. Looking forward to Tuesday.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/12/2017 10:03 am  #5

Did anyone catch coach's comment in the press conference about how the red shirt players beat the current team 58-26? Wow! I don't know whether to be upset about that or excited about what we will look like next year.

11/12/2017 10:06 am  #6

We actually almost got to 70% on FTs, after really bad start. Plus if we get Lewis and Robinson going and then get the earlier than expected return of Kellen Taylor and one of the other bigs, we should be in good shape with this OOC schedule.

11/12/2017 10:09 am  #7

Yep Dukes2012, heard the comment driving home after the game.  This year not liking that statement...next year...hopefully will love it!

11/12/2017 10:15 am  #8

Takeaways from Win #1.  Eric Williams will give the team a 4th option scorer to go with the 3 guards.  He'll score in different ways.  His back door cut with an alley oop pass from Taryn Smith electrified the crowd.  Our guards will need to play 35 minutes until the injured players and Kellon Taylor come back.  You got the sense once they took the lead they would not give it up and play not to lose.  You could see in their body language after they got they lead up into double digits they smelled blood and wanted to win.  

What a breath of fresh air KD is at his post game P.C.  He talked about maybe starting Eric Williams ahead of Castro.  But he deferred to Castro's judgment and let him think about that option for a day!! KD. talked about how Castro said he wants to win so bad after his prior years of adversity that he would yield his starting spot only when Wiliams earns it over him and that would not be such a bad thing!!  And , do not under estimate how much noise about 500 plus students can make. And, watch the bench of players who cannot put a uniform on to next year.  Talk about team spirit!!   And on the subject of the transfers, Bruce Atkins visited with me and the wife.  He was called by the coach and attended practice.  KD says he wants former players around his current players.  Bruce relates that he saw very good talent and then was told they will form the nucleus of next year's team.  At his P.C., Coach talked about a practice scrimmage that worried him a little in preparation for St. Francis.  The transfers got up on the current team 56-28 before the current team made the final score respectable.  

It's a new day in men's hoops. I really like what I am seeing and I know it is only one game. We beat a team when our star guard did not make a 3-pointer and our center got into file trouble early and got one basket and two rebounds.

Finally, there are some who wanted some Si Green and Cooper and Ricketts video.  If I can get the technology down correctly, I will be posting next week some archived video from 1953, 1954 and the 1955 NIT championship game. I intend to give  copies of the '53 and '54 videos to coach for his dad and his viewing pleasure.  

11/12/2017 11:54 am  #9

Dukes2012 wrote:

Did anyone catch coach's comment in the press conference about how the red shirt players beat the current team 58-26? Wow! I don't know whether to be upset about that or excited about what we will look like next year.

That’s great for next year.   Did he have anything to say about when the injured players would return?

11/12/2017 12:02 pm  #10

grammudder wrote:

Takeaways from Win #1.  Eric Williams will give the team a 4th option scorer to go with the 3 guards.  He'll score in different ways.  His back door cut with an alley oop pass from Taryn Smith electrified the crowd.  Our guards will need to play 35 minutes until the injured players and Kellon Taylor come back.  You got the sense once they took the lead they would not give it up and play not to lose.  You could see in their body language after they got they lead up into double digits they smelled blood and wanted to win.  

What a breath of fresh air KD is at his post game P.C.  He talked about maybe starting Eric Williams ahead of Castro.  But he deferred to Castro's judgment and let him think about that option for a day!! KD. talked about how Castro said he wants to win so bad after his prior years of adversity that he would yield his starting spot only when Wiliams earns it over him and that would not be such a bad thing!!  And , do not under estimate how much noise about 500 plus students can make. And, watch the bench of players who cannot put a uniform on to next year.  Talk about team spirit!!   And on the subject of the transfers, Bruce Atkins visited with me and the wife.  He was called by the coach and attended practice.  KD says he wants former players around his current players.  Bruce relates that he saw very good talent and then was told they will form the nucleus of next year's team.  At his P.C., Coach talked about a practice scrimmage that worried him a little in preparation for St. Francis.  The transfers got up on the current team 56-28 before the current team made the final score respectable.  

It's a new day in men's hoops. I really like what I am seeing and I know it is only one game. We beat a team when our star guard did not make a 3-pointer and our center got into file trouble early and got one basket and two rebounds.

Finally, there are some who wanted some Si Green and Cooper and Ricketts video.  If I can get the technology down correctly, I will be posting next week some archived video from 1953, 1954 and the 1955 NIT championship game. I intend to give  copies of the '53 and '54 videos to coach for his dad and his viewing pleasure.  

gram, thanks for the comments on the game.

That’s exciting news on the old video - I don’t recall seeing really anything on these teams, except perhaps a newsreel feature. Hope you can pull this off.

11/12/2017 12:03 pm  #11

This was a game we would lose in past seasons.  The two players who were being counted on the most, Mike Lewis II and Jordan Robinson had games that did not meet expectations, but we still won by 10.  That in itself is reason to believe we're turning the corner as a program.

Defense was so much improved over what we've seen in recent years and it's only the first game.

Freshman Eric Williams, Jr. is showing signs of being a big time talent.  I have high hopes for him.  

Rene Castro-Caneddy and Tarin Smith both stepped up big time and picked up their teammates.  Excellent games for both! 

I sat near and spoke to Tarin's parents during the game.  I said that it looks to me like Tarin really likes his new coach and his mom's face lit up and she said that he surely does as do the rest of his teammates.  The team is enthused about what Keith is doing and the direction he has them headed.  The attitude of the team as a whole is excellent and excited with the players and their parents all on board and wanting to do all they can to bring success to Duquesne men's basketball.  Let's Go Dukes!!!

Last edited by VBC (11/12/2017 12:04 pm)

11/12/2017 12:06 pm  #12

duqkurt wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

That’s great for next year.   Did he have anything to say about when the injured players would return?

He didn't say when during this press conference, but last week he said he thought they would be back around December 1st. Chas could be a vital piece this year.

11/12/2017 12:21 pm  #13

It would be great if Chas could be back for Pitt game.

11/12/2017 1:08 pm  #14

Some real positives from last night that were not part of last years team besides the obvious improvement in defense was the rebounding and getting to the foul line. No small stat that the Duke’s shot 45 foul shots or the 46 rebounds 18 of which were offensive. Some negatives, 7 assists point to far to much one on one and 23 3’s are far to many for my taste. I totally understand we are short handed and the scoring has to come from somewhere but Castro often looked a lot like last year with his dribbling exhibitions. Also didn’t like the “prevent offense” as I like to call it in the last 6 minutes. Don’t forget we were up by 16 at the 5:56 mark and it got down to 5 at 1:13. During that time we ran down the clock and threw up 4 straight bad 3’s.

11/12/2017 3:44 pm  #15

First time watching the Dukes in a few years, was able to stream the game easily. I enjoyed hearing the radio guys again.

I'm glad they got the win. The first 10 mins were pretty sloppy but there is talent on this team. Glad this board is still going and has a lot of the same users posting. Not sure you will remember by username but I was around a lot in the Everhart era.

11/12/2017 4:08 pm  #16

Dukes2012 wrote:

with so many new guys, who specifically are the "Red shirt players?"  Are they the guys who have to sit out because of transfer?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/12/2017 4:48 pm  #17

Correct

11/12/2017 10:32 pm  #18

One mention about JROB, he was in early foul trouble but was able to play a lot in the second half. Although he didn't score much, his big body was out there in the middle.

Coach said he played more on Saturday ( min) than all of last year.

He is more like a sophomore who gets his chance to play, maybe Chas Brown will help settle him down once he gets cleared to play, hope so cause I like Jordon and want to see him succeed.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/13/2017 6:06 am  #19

We need him, that's for sure. The three guards and Williams give us four guys who can put up points consistently (let's hope with better shooting %). Tydus is talented but raw. Not enough of Kratholm yet but certainly raw applies. Brown can't get here soon enough. Hopefully he delivers.

11/13/2017 5:39 pm  #20

http://pittsburghsportscastle.com/castro-caneddy-coming-duquesne/

Might want to bookmark Pittsburgh Sports Castle.  Jonny Heller, former student manager in the Everhart days, is going to be doing some reporting on the Dukes.

11/13/2017 7:19 pm  #21

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

http://pittsburghsportscastle.com/castro-caneddy-coming-duquesne/

Might want to bookmark Pittsburgh Sports Castle.  Jonny Heller, former student manager in the Everhart days, is going to be doing some reporting on the Dukes.

Great story on Rene, I hoped last year after he put up 26 he was the missing piece, then Coach Ferry went back to his strategy of sitting Castro and he never did have a game like that until last Saturday. Thank goodness for Coach Dambot.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/14/2017 6:37 am  #22

Attendance Expectations and Game 1:  I was thinking that Tonight everyone needs to continue to come out and be at the game!  Pitt got a little over 3,000 at their home opener last night... which is just a little less than their football attendance!!!

If we can continue to win I am hopeful that the Duquesne-Pitt game which our students usually attend can definitely be one where we outnumber the fans from the Pitt school.

11/14/2017 1:45 pm  #23

That Pitt game was grisly.

See what I did there?

11/14/2017 2:17 pm  #24

ElDuque wrote:

That Pitt game was grisly.

See what I did there?

boooooooooo

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/14/2017 3:11 pm  #25

Yakkity yak, don't talk back.

Board footera