Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2017 10:23 pm  #1

Fab Frosh

Tydus V. Top 5 in blocks in country for frosh
Eric Williams Top 5 in rebounding in country for frosh.
#1 in A10

These two young men have bright futures. Tydus should be in starting lineup after last games performance.

GO DUKES

11/21/2017 10:34 pm  #2

Re: Fab Frosh

At his current pace, Tydus will be in the Duquesne Top 10 for CAREER blocks by the end of the calendar year. He's on pace to break the freshman mark around the same time and he'll have a shot at Shawn James overall single season record.

11/22/2017 7:43 am  #3

Tydus put on a show last Sunday, what energy that young man has and Williams Jr. Just  seems to get better, would like to see him at the 3 once Chas arrives .

As a long suffering Duquesne Fan I can't wait till the transfers and recruits get on the court but look forward to this year's squad getting coached up and improving under " The Coach D "

A diehard fan since 1961

11/22/2017 8:24 am  #4

Let's remember that when I suggested that Tydus might be the guy to replace I-Mike a while back that I was chastised a bit here. But just like I-Mike last season, he has stepped in early and made a case to start, and not just because we're lacking numbers. He's playing strong defense (7 blocks = -14 points + any fouls that result in made FTs) and he has a nice shot near the hoop. I-Mike shot more away from the hoop, which we haven't seen Tydus do effectively & consistently. It's too bad I-Mike didn't stick around, not only for the numbers but of course for his talent. He and Tydus together with Williams in a swingman role would have created some nice balance and depth for this year's team.

11/22/2017 8:32 am  #5

Both should start from here on out unless their play goes south. Hard to believe we were the first to offer Williams earlier this year.

Last edited by WashPaRick (11/22/2017 8:43 am)

11/22/2017 8:33 am  #6

Phil, coach said that he hates having to play Williams at the 4, but doesn't have much of a choice until chas and/or marko get back. Very much looking forward to being able to put two bigs on the floor at once. Should help with rebounding and defense.

ED, it really does stink that I-Mike didn't stay. This team would be much better this year with him. We are missing that extra scoring punch that he provided, plus he was a decent rebounder if I remember correctly.

11/22/2017 8:37 am  #7

WashPaRick wrote:

Both sure start from here on out unless their play goes south. Hard to believe we were the first to offer Williams earlier this year.

Per twitter he had a lot of looks from MM and HM but no one was willing to pull the trigger on him.

Projected starting lineup from now on out
Rene
Mike
Eric
Tydus
J Robinson until Chas is back

11/22/2017 9:56 am  #8

As all others have stated, it is completely baffling that Eric Williams was so under recruited, especially given his high school stats. Having seen him play a few times in person now, he really is everything you would want in a small forward, except maybe one or two additional inches, but he is also extremely long in the way that someone described Verhoeven arms.

Seeing these guys play in person gives you such a greater appreciation for the nuances. Like i said Williams has it all.

Him and Verhoeven share some great intangibles. Both are extremely quick, athletic, bouncey, and long. Both are extremely active defenders and both will probably add 10-20 lbs of muscle to their frames over the coming years, which should only increase these abilities.

Offensively, Williams already looks polished. He can handle the ball, makes pretty good desicions passing, and has a good jump shot that he is already knocking down with confidence. As I mentioned above he is also a very active defender and has been in on a lot of plays that resulted in steals already.

Verhoeven is a little more raw offensively but the foundation is definitely there to improve. He has soft hands and can back people down to the basket, and his shot looks decent but just isn't really falling yet.

Defensively he is already a division 1 stud in terms of his skill set. You can't say this about many guys, but he is fun to watch just playing d. He may be the best post defender I have ever seen at Duquesne already. The shot blocking numbers are not a fluke, his timing and ability to to high point the ball with his long arms is just something you can't teach. It really is unbelievable to see what he is doing on the defensive end this early in his career.

11/22/2017 11:12 am  #9

True that KD lamented having to use Williams as a 4.  We have seen this too many years, a 6'5" player at the 4 out of necessity and lack of size. Getting a chance to move him to small forward when we get some guys off the DL should be a substantial improvement.

Don't forget though - Williams is listed on the roster as a guard. Not sure if he has the ball-handling skills to play guard in the A10, but with next year's group being center/forward oriented, it's possible that Williams will be getting time at guard, and could be used as a swingman.  

11/22/2017 11:21 am  #10

applecorps wrote:

True that KD lamented having to use Williams as a 4.  We have seen this too many years, a 6'5" player at the 4 out of necessity and lack of size. Getting a chance to move him to small forward when we get some guys off the DL should be a substantial improvement.

Don't forget though - Williams is listed on the roster as a guard. Not sure if he has the ball-handling skills to play guard in the A10, but with next year's group being center/forward oriented, it's possible that Williams will be getting time at guard, and could be used as a swingman.  

Williams is about 6’6/6’7 on court from what I seen.
He played 1-3 in high school in a article it says so I’m sure he can dribble but he doesn’t need to. Plays his role

11/22/2017 11:37 am  #11

Godukes2017 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Williams is about 6’6/6’7 on court from what I seen.
He played 1-3 in high school in a article it says so I’m sure he can dribble but he doesn’t need to. Plays his role

Williams currently playing the 4 is the exact reason I have been saying there is nothing to worry about regarding the recent rebounding numbers for us and the opposition. I have seen so many times this year where Verhoeven or Robinson does a great job defending someone in the post, forces a missed shot down low, and a guard is on the other block, and the other team has a big man there to grab the ball for an easy layup.

We literally only have two big men right now in Verhoeven and Robinson. It made a lot of sense when someone recently posted that Kratholm isn't on scholarship, to this point he really doesn't even look to be a D1 player.

Verhoeven and Robinson can't play together as they have to spell each other for fatigue reasons. If they played together there would be stretches where the tallest guy out there would be James or Williams. That's why we're getting mauled on the boards.

Anyone who hasn't been sleeping under a rock for a year should know this won't be an issue next year. With Krivacevic, Brown, and Taylor coming back we should see these rebounding numbers become less lopsided even as this season progresses.

Last edited by Duques102 (11/22/2017 11:40 am)

11/22/2017 11:39 am  #12

Very true but Jordan Robinson has done minimal to nothing so far. His presence hasn’t showed up yet

11/22/2017 11:47 am  #13

Godukes2017 wrote:

Very true but Jordan Robinson has done minimal to nothing so far. His presence hasn’t showed up yet

Agreed. Especially when you consider how bright he flashed in limited appearances last year. Realistically Robinson is probably about an average A10 player, which means he is currently underperforming, but not majorly.

He should probably be like an 8 and 8 guy in league play. We'll see if he gets there but anyone expecting him to go from being glued to the bench to coming out and getting 15 and 12 a game will be surely disappointed.

Ferry was a terrible coach but he was not an idiot. Robinson should have been playing more but Nakye Sanders was better than him as a freshman. We need him this year but it's hard to say what we should realistically expect from him given the three year sample size.

11/22/2017 11:49 am  #14

Duques102 wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote:

Agreed. Especially when you consider how bright he flashed in limited appearances last year. Realistically Robinson is probably about an average A10 player, which means he is currently underperforming, but not majorly.

He should probably be like an 8 and 8 guy in league play. We'll see if he gets there but anyone expecting him to go from being glued to the bench to coming out and getting 15 and 12 a game will be surely disappointed.

Ferry was a terrible coach but he was not an idiot. Robinson should have been playing more but Nakye Sanders was better than him as a freshman. We need him this year but it's hard to say what we should realistically expect from him given the three year sample size.

Right on point. We are in non conference and Robinson should be dominating honestly. Hopefully Brown can help carry the load

11/22/2017 12:01 pm  #15

Godukes2017 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote:

Right on point. We are in non conference and Robinson should be dominating honestly. Hopefully Brown can help carry the load

Agree his numbers should be better but hey, the numbers are what they are and we are still early in the season. He may or may not turn it around this season, we'll see.

It's so weird spectating a season from this vantage point. You always want to win and win as many as possible but for the first time following multiple sports teams I don't have that perspective this year.

I have no expectations for wins. This team will be completely different next year from every possible perspective. I just want to see who has the talent to help going forward this year and see how the young guys progress. That's literally it.

Board footera