Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2017 10:32 am  #1

A few observations

I felt 7 to 10 wins was about right for this season, I'm leaning more toward the lower number now after the loss to Cornell.

Dambrot seems to be a smart guy so that's a positive.

Playing with so few scholarship players is a losing proposition. That's why they played so poorly at the end of some games, fatigue. That will only get worse.

Not sure attendance will ever be good again. They have lost for so long, they have become irrelevant on campus.

Finally, even when they add players next season, it will probably take another year for the parts to jel.

11/29/2017 11:24 am  #2

Re: A few observations

Hopefully, the addition of Brown and Marko K. will bolster the lineup soon. Also, need James and Smith to be back. With 10-11 players at least fatigue should not be the big problem moving forward. Still believe they will be better than 10 wins.

11/29/2017 1:30 pm  #3

with the A10 so far down, i think it is more than conceivable that we can get 10+ wins. teams like fordham and richmond have been atrocious and even middle of the road teams have some bad losses this year like SLU at home to Detroit.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/29/2017 1:42 pm  #4

rittersdiner wrote:

I felt 7 to 10 wins was about right for this season, I'm leaning more toward the lower number now after the loss to Cornell.

Playing with so few scholarship players is a losing proposition. That's why they played so poorly at the end of some games, fatigue. That will only get worse.

Not sure attendance will ever be good again. They have lost for so long, they have become irrelevant on campus.

Finally, even when they add players next season, it will probably take another year for the parts to jel.

Good post. It's hard for me not to root for a handful of kids busting their gut for 30 games. That's all I ask this year.

A few crazy good shooting games wouldn't hurt, either.

11/29/2017 3:08 pm  #5

president wrote:

Hopefully, the addition of Brown and Marko K. will bolster the lineup soon. Also, need James and Smith to be back. With 10-11 players at least fatigue should not be the big problem moving forward. Still believe they will be better than 10 wins.

yes, that is what they really need.  9 or 10 bodies, just to eat some time and spell guys.  I don't think Duke would win many against a decent mid major team if they only had seven actual players to put on the floor.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/29/2017 4:00 pm  #6

Tejas_Duke wrote:

president wrote:

yes, that is what they really need.  9 or 10 bodies, just to eat some time and spell guys.  I don't think Duke would win many against a decent mid major team if they only had seven actual players to put on the floor.

1972, 7 players, 20-5. You can do it with the right players, and if you're playing a style conducive to a short bench.

11/29/2017 4:23 pm  #7

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

president wrote:

1972, 7 players, 20-5. You can do it with the right players, and if you're playing a style conducive to a short bench.

But there was no shot clock, Big Train Lionel Billingy (6-9) was an Honerable Mention All-America,
Jack Wodowski and Darnell Roebuck were seasoned front court forwards and Ruben Martinez was a lights out shooting 2 along with a great point Guard at about 6-3 in Mike Barr.

Duquesne had an aura back then as a top 30 program that cracked the top 20 at times.

I think this coach will get his share of wins this year and with incoming players the next seasons , will win here. The fans will be alums and non alum basketball fans that want to see good basketball. I don't think we will ever see games packed with students since so many commute and others don't care.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/29/2017 4:34 pm  #8

rittersdiner wrote:

The crowds will come if they win, but you have to understand that win means win big. Ron's winning was great for us die hards, but made little impression on the average Pittsburgh sports fan. Win has to mean top 2-3 in the A10, NCAA bids, and maybe scraping the bottom of the Top 25. That is what will fill Palumbo, and have us playing 2-4 big games a year at the Arena.
That said, keep in mind that next year's team is basically already here, and being coached by KD every day. Some here are hyping Swingle, and the other bigs coming in, but these are not stud players, and they will need to be developed before they can contribute much more than playing a supporting role. The guys sitting out are men, and will be the key to the next two years, along with the returning players from this year's squad. KD is coaching them in the system he wants to play, and they will hit the ground much more ready to play than if he was bringing in a bunch of freshmen, and JC guys. No knock on Swingle, and the other frosh bigs, but they're going to make their impact as juniors, and seniors. Next year, they eat up space, and fouls, and maybe rebound, which might be enough.

11/29/2017 5:25 pm  #9

duq81 wrote:

The crowds will come if they win, but you have to understand that win means win big. Ron's winning was great for us die hards, but made little impression on the average Pittsburgh sports fan. Win has to mean top 2-3 in the A10, NCAA bids, and maybe scraping the bottom of the Top 25. That is what will fill Palumbo, and have us playing 2-4 big games a year at the Arena.
That said, keep in mind that next year's team is basically already here, and being coached by KD every day. Some here are hyping Swingle, and the other bigs coming in, but these are not stud players, and they will need to be developed before they can contribute much more than playing a supporting role. The guys sitting out are men, and will be the key to the next two years, along with the returning players from this year's squad. KD is coaching them in the system he wants to play, and they will hit the ground much more ready to play than if he was bringing in a bunch of freshmen, and JC guys. No knock on Swingle, and the other frosh bigs, but they're going to make their impact as juniors, and seniors. Next year, they eat up space, and fouls, and maybe rebound, which might be enough.

duq81, you made some really key points - next year's team is already here and Dambrot is coaching them in his system day in and day out.  Anything you get out of the freshman coming in next year is a bonus.  And in my opinion, sacrificing the day to day teaching and development this year for a possible additional win or two this year isn't worth it; i.e. by playing zone or slowing the pace down, etc. Plus, comments from Dambrot and other insiders have said that these current transfers are kicking our starters' butts in practices.

So Grasshopper....Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. (We hope.)

11/29/2017 9:50 pm  #10

Good points Phoenix and 81' and taking it one step further would mean that we would have 9 experienced/older players next year out of the gate - the 5 sitting out, Lewis, Smith, Tydus and Williams. 

11/29/2017 10:45 pm  #11

PistolPete wrote:

Good points Phoenix and 81' and taking it one step further would mean that we would have 9 experienced/older players next year out of the gate - the 5 sitting out, Lewis, Smith, Tydus and Williams. 

All of whom are practicing now. Eric Williams will be the only teen among this group next year.

11/30/2017 12:11 am  #12

president wrote:

Me too, barring some major black swan like Mike Lewis blowing out a knee I will take Ritters over of eleven wins.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/30/2017 6:53 am  #13

duq81 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

All of whom are practicing now. Eric Williams will be the only teen among this group next year.

Tydus?

11/30/2017 8:35 am  #14

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Tydus?

Verhoeven

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/30/2017 8:36 am  #15

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Tydus?

Tydus turns 20 next November. This will be a team of men.

11/30/2017 10:50 am  #16

Sad that the “72” team was destroyed by Bob Smizek who did a article on Dave Roddey who was a key off the bench. Don’t remember the whole story but his transfer was questioned and it cost the Dukes a shot at the NCAA’s that year.

11/30/2017 11:01 am  #17

Williams is the youngest on the team but seems to be the most fearless and calm guy we got.

11/30/2017 11:39 am  #18

Godukes2017 wrote:

Williams is the youngest on the team but seems to be the most fearless and calm guy we got.

Comes naturally to a skinny guy like that getting 10 rebounds a night with the big boys. 

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/30/2017 1:24 pm  #19

The Dome wrote:

Sad that the “72” team was destroyed by Bob Smizek who did a article on Dave Roddey who was a key off the bench. Don’t remember the whole story but his transfer was questioned and it cost the Dukes a shot at the NCAA’s that year.

I always thought he was out to get us, but the Pitt folks despise him, and would swear that he was out to get them as well.

11/30/2017 3:07 pm  #20

duq81 wrote:

The Dome wrote:

I always thought he was out to get us, but the Pitt folks despise him, and would swear that he was out to get them as well.

I ran into him once at the arena and told him he was a jag off for the Dave Roddy story, he just smirked and I was young and a little drunk from that rot gut arena beer, so I let it go. And yes Pitt fans hated him as much as the Duquesne Die Hard fans did.

72 team was one of my favorites, if only Micky Davis hadn't quit school and Ed Sercey had stayed( he starred ar St. John's ) the decline might have not happened so quickly.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/30/2017 3:26 pm  #21

Dave Roddy was a great kid and solid basketball player from my home town of McKeesport. Sadly, he passed away a number of years ago at the young age of 60. I remember the situation well when he transferred to Duquesne from Miami and ultimately lost his eligibility. Tough blow for that team!

11/30/2017 4:45 pm  #22

Phildog wrote:

duq81 wrote:

The Dome wrote:

I ran into him once at the arena and told him he was a jag off for the Dave Roddy story, he just smirked and I was young and a little drunk from that rot gut arena beer, so I let it go. And yes Pitt fans hated him as much as the Duquesne Die Hard fans did.

72 team was one of my favorites, if only Micky Davis hadn't quit school and Ed Sercey had stayed( he starred ar St. John's ) the decline might have not happened so quickly.

If Davis, and Searcy had been on that team, the decline might never have happened. That's probably a 23-2 team, Red likely doesn't retire, and the Dukes would likely have been a charter member of the Big East.

11/30/2017 5:41 pm  #23

Thanks for sharing all of you and love the references to the 1972 team. Pat Kelly walked on out of South Catholic. Furthermore,  I  want to recall the 1977 team with Norman, BB , Chicken Gumbo, Pie ,Big John Moore,Pat Felix et al.,sparked by Don Masers insertion into the lineup .... going on that NCAA run! While perhaps beginning a descent, the program decline occurred later in my humble opinion. 1977 NCAA  basketball tournament as Eastern Eight Champions and football club championship game..great year in Duquesne sports!

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (11/30/2017 5:44 pm)

11/30/2017 8:43 pm  #24

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Thanks for sharing all of you and love the references to the 1972 team. Pat Kelly walked on out of South Catholic. Furthermore, I want to recall the 1977 team with Norman, BB , Chicken Gumbo, Pie ,Big John Moore,Pat Felix et al.,sparked by Don Masers insertion into the lineup .... going on that NCAA run! While perhaps beginning a descent, the program decline occurred later in my humble opinion. 1977 NCAA basketball tournament as Eastern Eight Champions and football club championship game..great year in Duquesne sports!

The decline happened in stages. It was well underway by 1977. Making the NCAA's in 77 was great, but I realize that it would never have happened had Keith Herron not badly sprained his ankle in Villanova's semifinal win over WVU. That was a .500 team. Cinicola was going to be fired, but making the tournament got him an extra year. The Dukes were competitive under Mike Rice, but became a non-entity under Satalin. We didn't truly become a disaster until Scott Edgar arrived. The Edgar-Porter-Nee era was the absolute nadir, even worse than Ferry.

11/30/2017 8:56 pm  #25

Points well taken Duq81 and totally forgot about Herron and WVU. Right about  1977 BB Dukes being 500 team but they got hot late in season.I am hoping that seasons like 1977 are not to far off in Duquesne sports future

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (11/30/2017 9:05 pm)

Board footera