Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2017 1:17 pm  #1

St. Francis tonight ...

Will be a homecoming for SFU assistant coach Vanessa Abel and transfer Kyasia Duling. Opened with two losses, have come back to win 3 straight. Best player is Jessica Kovatch, a 5-9 guard from out my way (she's from Phillipsburg, which is a major rival for our local HS). They also have a grad transfer from Maryland who leads the team in rebounding.

11/30/2017 9:44 pm  #2

Re: St. Francis tonight ...

Started game with 15-0 run and never looked back.  87-66 I think was the final.

12/01/2017 5:46 am  #3

Duqkurt mentioned the 15-0 start - AMAZING thing is DU started off a little bit cold!!  Hit only one of the first 8 from three point range and had some early turnovers!!  So it was NOT a matter of quick/early 3's.

When watching the warm ups I noticed just about ALL of the St. Francis players had excellent form and were making the shots from behind the three point line -  read before hand they were the #1 scoring offense in the NEC - and was thinking while I do expect to win - this might not be as EASY as we think.

Two MORE Positives to take away from the game - While she DID get frustrated after missing some easy shots and getting tied up a few times after getting rebounds (I think "foul" as opposed to "held ball" could have been the right call"  KUDOS to Eniko for the job she did on the boards.

KUDOS to Libby as well -- With Amanda sidelined (hurry back AK) - the injury to Nina (and possibly the one to Angelina) she is playing more minutes than she probably expected (out of the 200 which Coach has at his disposal) I mentioned the 1 for 8 start from three - she BURIES the first one she tried --  She blows past one of their players for a lay-up but gets hit with a dubious charge (ref might have been thinking NO WAY A FRESHMAN makes a move like that)  She also did some nice ball handling.  

One of our main complaints about Ferry was the 38 minutes per game from Colter & Mason - 3 4 years into his tenure with basically ALL of the players "HIS" players he didn't seem to have a third guard whom he could trust for 2 minutes at a time -  Coach Burt probably has to worry - how can I give the players ENOUGH time??  Libby, Amanda (when she gets healthy) and Helmi (who had a rough night) could have their development slowed --  But Paige, Eniko, Julianna, Chassidy, Connor Kadri Ann are playing well - can't take them OUT at times.

Hopefully the short turn around isn't a problem - CCSU was 0-5 when I looked but had played PSU and WVU (among others) 

12/01/2017 6:35 am  #4

http://dystpittsburgh.com/2017/12/01/dukes-earn-fourth-consecutive-victory/

Zac's coverage. This could be a special team this year. From the pics, looks like a decent crowd.

12/02/2017 4:59 am  #5

The Dukes were up by 25 when 5 minutes left in the game and nearly all the starters were still on the court.
It should be bench players time then!!

12/02/2017 6:37 am  #6

Luke, we have one of the best coaches in the game. We have a gem of a program. Let's not nit pick about little stuff in a blowout win. Makes us look cheesy as a fan base.

Peace.

12/02/2017 8:47 am  #7

Heh, looks like the most important is not victory but blow out- one!

12/02/2017 10:26 am  #8

luke wrote:

Heh, it looks like someone wanting to Complain over a non issue. 

Every healthy player that was suited up played.   Including walk on Kristen Elliot. 

Coach Burt who knows way more about basketball than any of us substituted liberally throughout the game. 

And if you look at the play by play in the box score from in last 5 minutes of the game. Libby Banasiak, Annie Pier and Kristen and Helmi and Judith Sole were all in the game.

But don’t let facts get in the way of your argument.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/02/2017 10:30 am)

12/02/2017 8:05 pm  #9

luke wrote:

That wasn't my point. I'll take a one point win any time.

12/03/2017 5:55 am  #10

For what it is worth -  Against CCSU yesterday - EVERYONE played at least 7 minutes -  No one played more than 22.

Both Toledo and Central Michigan were 5-1 when I checked the records.

12/03/2017 10:37 am  #11

According to Sagarin http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php :

Toledo: 63
Duquesne: 78
CMU: 80
Akron: 243

Two very stiff challenges, which is what we need to see. 

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

Board footera