Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2017 8:54 pm  #1

Game Thread - Pitt

7:00pm tip on Friday 12/01/2017 at PPG Paints Arena
Per KenPom:
Dukes #252 (2-2) vs Pitt #155 (3-4)
Pitt projected to finish 15th of 15 teams in the ACC
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 6, 72-66 - Dukes with 31% probability of a win.
Betting line opened at Dukes as 7 point underdogs; with over under at 138. Line holding steady as of Friday morning. Edit: looks like some late morning money flowing in on the Dukes; some lines down to 5½.

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate
Here's a look at Pitt:
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  Many Turnovers, Offensive Rebounds
Defensive Strength: Limits opponents FT chances, hold opponents to low Effective FG%
Defensive Weakness:  Does not create turnovers; allows offensive rebounds

Here's a look at the Dukes (national ranking out of 351 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Getting to the FT Line (2); Limit Turnovers (42): Offensive Rebounds (83)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG% (329)
Defensive Strength: Creates turnovers (51), Limits opponents FT chances (76)
Defensive Weakness:  Allows offensive rebounds (311)

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (12/01/2017 11:20 am)

11/30/2017 9:41 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Pitt

Thanks for the update and great information Phoenix

12/01/2017 11:17 am  #3

As I continue to analyze this game, I think it simply comes down to whether the Dukes can shoot better tonight than they have showed in the first 4 games (their 43.6% Effective FG% so far would completely shatter the lowest mark in the last 15 years - 47.2% in Danny Nee's first year 2002). Only Rene has stepped up in this regard. Making a few shots certainly makes playing the game much more fun and usually translates to more energy on the defensive end.
3 Point Shooting:  27.1% - 331st in the country
- Castro-Caneddy 10-26 38.5%
- Williams 7-24 29.2%
- Lewis II 8-29 27.6%
- Smith 0-7 0.0%
2 Point shooting - 45.8% 267th in the country
- Castro-Caneddy 16-26 61.5%
- Smith 15-31 48.4%
- Robinson 8-20 40.0%
- Verhoeven 6-15 40.0%
- Williams 8-22 36.4%
- Lewis 3-11 27.3%

12/01/2017 11:28 am  #4

Its fair to say the Dukes chances revolve around Lewis shooting 27%, not just tonight, but all year.
Hopefully a night like tonight can wake him up and get him going.
Someone will need to step up regardless.

12/01/2017 11:52 am  #5

townsonkid wrote:

Its fair to say the Dukes chances revolve around Lewis shooting 27%, not just tonight, but all year.

More than fair to say, townsonkid. Maybe it all comes together tonight for Lewis.

12/01/2017 12:20 pm  #6

We need our big 3 (Lewis, Castro-Canedy, Williams) to step up big, and maybe a me-too night from Tydus.

12/01/2017 2:57 pm  #7

900+ Duquesne students have tickets for the game.

12/01/2017 3:55 pm  #8

townsonkid wrote:

If my memory serves and it can be seen in the Lewis II freshman highlight video I believe, Lewis had really good games at the arena last year, against pitt and SLU.

Just checked as I was posting. Lewis II points in PPG last year:

pitt 15
RMU 15
Dayton 17
SLU 22

Last edited by Duques102 (12/01/2017 3:56 pm)

12/01/2017 3:57 pm  #9

ElDuque wrote:

900+ Duquesne students have tickets for the game.

It should be known that going into this morning, we were roughly 200-250 ahead of pace last year, which became one our best selling years in recent memory.

Listen, I hate as much as you do that students seem to only go to this game, but more people are going to this year's City Game than previous years, so hopefully some sense of fandom can be cultivated from these students

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/01/2017 4:20 pm  #10

I meant my post to be positive. I think the R&BC has been busting it's asterisk trying to generate interest among the students. Truth is, apathy is an ages-old disease on our campus. It's been blamed on the large commuter population, on the number of eggheads cramming for the next organic chem quiz, on the number of nerdy frat boys who can't put down their comic boys (I'm kidding guys ... some of the frats have always been ardent supporters), and for CLK and me, the fact that the Playboys and Sheiks -- the fun, cool guys -- are OUT AT FABER COLLEGE. Whatever it is, every DU class seems to produce only a smattering of strong, long-term fans.

I wish for better. But we've also lost a lot of long-time alumni and fans in recent years, to the point where it seemed like message board posters WERE Duquesne Nation (or at least Duquesne Elm Street).

However many show up, give 'em hell. Make it loud, make it fun, cheer on a win.

12/01/2017 6:33 pm  #11

At the arena. Few hundred in the DU student section. Band playing away. About 40 in the pitt student section.

12/01/2017 6:36 pm  #12

Chas brown is dressed, just dunked in the layup line. Expecting to see him tonight. Eric James dressed in a knee brace. Tarin dressed looking fine on the ankle.

12/01/2017 6:44 pm  #13

Lewis
Smith
Castro
James
Williams
Brown
Verhoeven
Kratholm
Robinson
Taylor

I count ten healthy bodies tonight.

12/01/2017 7:06 pm  #14

Andddddd Chas Brown goes right into the starting line up. Decent crowd. Probably more DU fans.

12/01/2017 7:35 pm  #15

Not going well so far.

12/01/2017 7:50 pm  #16

Jordan Robinson is such a liability on defense. He cannot follow Luther around and he doesn't protect the rim at all. Rene is going to have to heat up. No one has made a single jump shot other than mike.

12/01/2017 7:54 pm  #17

Dukes2012 wrote:

Jordan Robinson is such a liability on defense. He cannot follow Luther around and he doesn't protect the rim at all. Rene is going to have to heat up. No one has made a single jump shot other than mike.

Sorry Ferry, you were right.

12/01/2017 8:22 pm  #18

Much better play now.

12/01/2017 8:48 pm  #19

Robinson needs to be last player off the bench.   We have some ball players.  He isnt one of them.  Williams can be a double double guy.   I am gong long on him.  KD better keep him here.  Lewis is light years from leaving for nba.

12/01/2017 8:55 pm  #20

Williams is going to play in the pros when he gets a bit stronger and perfects his shot. Good efforts by Lewis, tydus, Taylor, and kratholm. Unfortunately Rene had his worst game in a longtime or we might have won. Lots of positives in the second half IMO, just ran out of gas. Hopefully chas continues to get more minutes.

12/01/2017 9:06 pm  #21

Williams is going to be the key player going forward. The older guys really aren't important in the big picture.

12/01/2017 9:12 pm  #22

duq81 wrote:

Williams is going to be the key player going forward. The older guys really aren't important in the big picture.

That kid can play.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/01/2017 9:13 pm  #23

duq81 wrote:

Yep. I would much rather be in Duquesne's position than Pitt's right now. We get to add five (potentially) good transfers and a strong recruiting class to a solid base of mike, tydus, and Eric.

12/01/2017 9:17 pm  #24

Hard to win when the combined total of Castro and Smith is two points.  I thought that the Dukes best stretch was when they played three freshman together.  I think Tydus is also going to be very good. 

12/01/2017 9:35 pm  #25

townsonkid wrote:

Robinson needs to be last player off the bench.   We have some ball players.  He isnt one of them.  Williams can be a double double guy.   I am gong long on him.  KD better keep him here.  Lewis is light years from leaving for nba.

I sat with Williams family at the game. They are excited about the future he isn't going anywhere

Board footera