Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/02/2017 8:20 pm  #1

Next 5 Games

The Dukes next 5 games are at home against teams that have over 300+ RPI rankings.  Stepping down a bit in class of opponent is coming none too soon.  The Dukes need to get a little confidence back.  And it is a great opportunity for the coaching staff to work all of the injured bodies back into the rotation while coaching them up in games.

It would be nice to run the table on these - leaving the Dukes with a 7-3 mark, with 3 tougher non-conference opponents remaining on the slate.
Date -- KenPom Rank -- Team
Mon Dec 4  339 Maryland Eastern Shore
Wed Dec 6  308 Stetson
Sat Dec 9  350 Delaware St.
Wed Dec 13 351 Mississippi Valley St.
Sun Dec 17 330 North Carolina A&T

12/03/2017 7:50 am  #2

Re: Next 5 Games

Regardless of opponent, we need Castro-Canedy and Smith to step up and play as though they were highly regarded recruits who are now veteran players with at least four years of college behind them. And Mike Lewis II needs to understand that he's Antonio Brown now, and teams are going to key on him and he has to find ways to help his team whether or not he gets his shots, and when he gets them, he must make them more consistently. 

12/03/2017 11:51 am  #3

4 of those 5 should be no brainers. Stetson gives me some issues. If you look at their schedule, they've beaten or played a couple of teams close who are better on paper than Duquesne. Hopefully, this is the last year for a really long time that we even have to worry about any of these games but if you think all five of these are locks you're not being honest with yourself about this current team. 

12/03/2017 11:52 am  #4

I have not seen anything that tells me we can 5 in a row against any kind of competition but with 10 guys available for duty now maybe it will happen. 

12/03/2017 12:09 pm  #5

Tejas Duke's Odds and Predictions for the next five games:

0 Wins:  1%  Coach "Not Jim Ferry" will manage to beat at least one of these bottom feeders.

1 Win:  5%:  Pretty bad, but one or two more injuries could just about wreck their chances.

2-3 Wins:  50%:   Lewis and the team are bound to have a couple of good shooting nights, which should put teams like these away.

4 Wins:  30%:  Players start to really respond to the man to man defense that Coach D preaches and teaches.

5 Wins:  14%:  Who knows? Rule of hidden vigorish, guys coming back from injuries, getting more confidance.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/03/2017 2:36 pm  #6

Tejas, Thanks for your handicapping.

Right now, KenPom gives the Dukes a 37.6% chance of the Dukes sweeping all 5 games.

Steve, You’re spot on regarding Stetson being the best team in these 5 games. And agreed that anything can happen with the Dukes in these games; nothing is a gimme.

12/05/2017 9:07 am  #7

[b][b]Tejas Duke's Odds and Predictions for the next FOUR games:

0 Wins:  Off the board  W
[/b]ith a deeper bench they have proven they can shoot, and defend against these kind of teams.

[b]1 Win:  5%:  Of course they could go back to having incredibly cold shooting nights, but I doubt it. Feel good at offering 20 - 1 against.

2 Wins:  15%:  That would be 3-2 in this total stretch, but I think they're better than that.

3 Wins:  70%:  I keep thinking the way things are going, one of these teams, probably Stetson, will step up and beat them close.

4 Wins:  10%:  See above:  I would be happy with 4-1.
[/b][/b]

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/05/2017 9:22 am  #8

It would be nice to go on a little winning streak, and head to Vegas with some momentum. Hopefully we can stay healthy and get marko back soon. Having 9 or 10 players now is going to make a huge difference IMO.

12/05/2017 10:19 am  #9

Brown looked great last night as the game wore on. Quite an addition and I don't believe we have seen his best yet. Having him not only gives us another healthy body but a tough guy inside which we sorely lack otherwise. Actually think the hot dogs taste better this year. Either that or I am just really hungry by the time I get to Palumbo!!

12/07/2017 9:59 pm  #10

Next two look pretty easy but A&T has had some success on the road this year.

12/08/2017 8:07 am  #11

WashPaRick, the next two games are against the bottom 2 ranked teams in KenPom. The probability of the Dukes completing this 5 game win streak; i.e., winning the next 3 games, are now up to 68.6% (from the original 37.6%) in KenPom.

12/08/2017 12:42 pm  #12

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

WashPaRick, the next two games are against the bottom 2 ranked teams in KenPom. The probability of the Dukes completing this 5 game win streak; i.e., winning the next 3 games, are now up to 68.6% (from the original 37.6%) in KenPom.

At first I wasn't feeling it but now I'd probably bet that it is going to happen.

Last edited by WashPaRick (12/08/2017 12:43 pm)

12/15/2017 1:11 pm  #13

The Dukes are on the cusp of going 5-0. Right now, the odds are up to 83% that they do this. From my view, if the Dukes win on Sunday we got most of our wishes filled. Healthy bodies back, coached up on both ends of the floor, growing confidence. I’m enjoying watching this coaching staff do its magic.

12/15/2017 1:48 pm  #14

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

The Dukes are on the cusp of going 5-0. Right now, the odds are up to 83% that they do this. From my view, if the Dukes win on Sunday we got most of our wishes filled. Healthy bodies back, coached up on both ends of the floor, growing confidence. I’m enjoying watching this coaching staff do its magic.

Great points. Throughout the beginning of the season I have stated that I wasn't concerned about results this year. I still feel the same, but a feeling is starting to bubble up inside me that we could actually make some noise this year.

Between the talent of some of the young new guys, the teams drastic improvement since the start of the year which I expect to continue at a similar rate through the season, the added depth we now have, and the conference being down we could really make some waves.

I went in to the season just looking to see positive signs of change. I would argue that that has come much quicker than I ever expected, and now feel we could be pretty decent NOW. Again, want to see the current form replicated against the teams we will play in Vegas and beyond.

All of this positive momentum already and just think, the team will be significantly more talented and deeper next year. It's finally really happenning!!!!

12/16/2017 8:21 am  #15

Know what else has been surprisingly better? Or, better said, who?

Kellon Taylor. Kid is actually helping his football future with his basketball now. Showing how athletic he is. Would love to see him in black and gold in a couple years.

12/17/2017 2:37 pm  #16

5 Wins:  14%:  Who knows? Rule of hidden vigorish, guys coming back from injuries, getting more confidance.

I felt pretty good about that being a 7-1 shot!  Nice five game stretch guys

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera